PDA

View Full Version : How's the snow migration looking??

Cupped N Committed
04-19-2014, 09:25 AM
There's seven of us heading east of saskatchatoon for four days of bird hunting next weekend. Just curious as to how the birds are moving and where we will be at in the migration. Haven't seen any info in awhile. Getting pretty stoked!!!!

Cupped N Committed
04-20-2014, 09:41 AM
Has anyone been over there or heard anything??

Davidantkiw
04-20-2014, 09:53 AM
Saw a couple snow's and a bunch of ducks above high level today I that means anything to ya. And seen a good number of Canadian geese throughout the week

JDR1959
04-20-2014, 06:08 PM
I drove from the cottage at Mistussine, near Elbow, to Regina yesterday and between the towns of Eyebrow and Tugaske was more snow geese than I have ever seen before. In the fall they are there by the thousands but what we saw yesterday for numbers was amazing. The sky was literally covered in every direction with birds. They were there on Thursday too but not in quite the same numbers as yesterday. I suspect they were staging there for a few days before continuing north.
Good luck on your hunt

grizz325
04-20-2014, 06:53 PM
Haven't seen any snows in the wadena area yet as we just had a 8 inch dump of snow the other day and it's snowing now. I seen some around swift current Wednesday.

Cupped N Committed
04-20-2014, 07:03 PM
We are hunting with Brent Norberg out of kelvington. Let's hope the birds make I there by Thursday!! This is great! I'm gettin pretty jacked up about it! I can't wait to get outta this tanker and behind my versa max! Woo hoo!!!! Thanks guys! Pls keep me posted.

Cupped N Committed
04-20-2014, 07:14 PM
Kind of a side question.....is there any special permit or lisence required to use archery tackle in the spring season?? It's not me. Trust me. Lol but one guy in our group wants to try his luck I guess and Brent is busy hunting and hasn't had time to return my call. (Which is understandable) thanks

grizz325
04-20-2014, 08:51 PM
Brent was in Mexico and just got home, as for geese by Thursday it's going to start warming up tomorrow. So we should start seeing some soon I hope, as we have lots of Canadian geese around. I haven't been up to kelvins ton for a week so not sure on the snow level, maybe take a drive tomorrow lol.

Cupped N Committed
04-20-2014, 09:15 PM
Thanks grizz325!! I just assumed Brent was out hunting....lol. We all need down time tho! Mine is only three and a half sleeps away! Hahaha

grizz325
04-21-2014, 06:03 AM
Have a great hunt I will let you know if I make it up there to scout

Bushmaster
04-21-2014, 06:37 AM
There's been thousands of snows in this area, for about 2 weeks now. And seemingly more every day.

grizz325
04-21-2014, 06:56 AM
There was thousands in the kindersley area Thursday when I came through also but you guys have a lot less snow I just looked at the weather and we're in for 5-10 cm of snow again thursday:sign0176:

pointer
04-21-2014, 08:46 AM
The skies were alive this morning just west of Lloyd with those little white devils

Cupped N Committed
04-21-2014, 10:26 AM
I'm working around the Breton/Warburg area right now and I've seen about 1500-2000 fly over in the last hour or so! Two more days of work....two more days of work..two more days of work..... Lol

greylynx
04-21-2014, 10:35 AM
Thousands of snow geese heading north by the U of A farm.

Those lazy Canadians seem to be basking in the NSR for a while. Two of them were hitchhiking south on the Calgary Trail yesterday.

The next stop for the snows seems to be Keg River...who just so happens to take nice bird pictures.:):sHa_shakeshout:

Mind you, he's probably working today.

trapshooter
04-21-2014, 08:19 PM
Just got back from hunting them today. A LARGE portion of them moved north of kindersly/coleville which is where we were hunting. We caught the tail end of them but still had a blast and shot geese!

michaelmicallef
04-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Was in Outlook for two days of snow goose hunting and they were heading north by the thousands on Tuesday but the snow and cold put them down in the fields Wednesday . Got 50 the first day between 5 guys. Would have had more if our shooting was better. Lots of fun.

michaelmicallef
04-21-2014, 09:10 PM
Sorry about the upside down pick. First post of a pic taken with the pain in the "A" phone.

grizz325
04-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Seen three big flocks over Wadena today so they are coming:sHa_shakeshout:

Cupped N Committed
04-22-2014, 06:06 PM
Awesome!!!! Thanks grizz!! They blackened the sky out here for a few minutes today too. I figured at least 2500-3000 in that flock. Never seen anything like it here before!! I'm on my last load of oil right now!!! Can't wait to be excited to get up in the morning! Lol

I've talked to Brent a couple times today too. He said they were starting to show up so we should be in good shape on Thursday.

grizz325
04-22-2014, 07:09 PM
You should be in really good shape as there's steady flocks over us now and I was up at the top of kelvington tonight and there are starting to stage in fields. Have a great shooter and post pics when you get back.....

Cupped N Committed
04-25-2014, 08:38 AM
Weather is not cooperating at all. Only four birds down in the first day and a half..... Cold n wet. Hardcore only gets a guy so far. Lol hope full things start to get better.

snowman160
04-25-2014, 09:13 AM
Birds will sit all day on feed.find a concentration of birds closest together an setup up between em,they'll be hoppin around all day.huntin a feed feild in crap weather is a gamble.

Cupped N Committed
04-27-2014, 09:52 PM
Hunt was a bust. No birds. Bad weather. Came home a day early. Disappointing to say the least. But that why they call it hunting and not killing. Lol he offered to take us out for three days this fall to make up for it. That was good. Seven of us never shot a box of shells and only two birds the first day and two the second day. None yesterday. Got home last night just before midnight. Kinda frustrating to see about 50000 birds right around Saskatoon on our way through. Just bad timin for that area I guess...

Zekeland
04-29-2014, 09:10 PM
How close were the nearest birds??

Did he offer to relocate an hour or two away, meaning, was he willing to go find some birds even if it was an hour or two drive?

Got to be willing to move on a moments notice to follow the snows in the spring, especially the adults if that's what you were hunting.

If birds were that close, Id be choked.....

How many hours did your group drive to get to guides area?

Faststeel
04-29-2014, 10:41 PM
How close were the nearest birds??

Did he offer to relocate an hour or two away, meaning, was he willing to go find some birds even if it was an hour or two drive?

Got to be willing to move on a moments notice to follow the snows in the spring, especially the adults if that's what you were hunting.

If birds were that close, Id be choked.....

How many hours did your group drive to get to guides area?

From wetaskiwin ab to southern sask gotta be 6 hours or so.

super7mag
04-30-2014, 06:18 AM
Litterly thousands in a couple of last years green feed fields south and west of Marwayne yesterday!!! I really hope they get a spring season lined up on this side of the border.

pointer
04-30-2014, 06:26 AM
Litterly thousands in a couple of last years green feed fields south and west of Marwayne yesterday!!! I really hope they get a spring season lined up on this side of the border.

Its been flock after flock passing over here this morning just west of lloyd

Juggernaut
04-30-2014, 07:52 AM
A couple weeks ago I saw thousands (I guessed at least 7500) flying North over Medicine Hat. Way up high and making one heck of a racket.

Cupped N Committed
04-30-2014, 12:40 PM
One member of our group drove down from Dawson creek, one guy from carstairs. We all met in spruce grove and it was nine hours from there. We saw birds just over an hour out from the main lodge. And were willing to travel. But guide wouldn't go more than 45 min away. Not sure of the guiding laws in sask. I know we didn't need a guide. But not sure if he was restricted to a certain area or not. A five minute stalk n flock shoot was very tempting if we could get permission.

pickrel pat
04-30-2014, 04:06 PM
Lots of snows around Daysland last week immigrating north.

coyotekiller
04-30-2014, 07:57 PM
Lots of snows around Daysland last week immigrating north.

Just saw a big flock fly by camrose

grizz325
04-30-2014, 08:14 PM
The weather has been horrible but as of yesterday the big flocks arrived in huge numbers. That's the pits about the hunt wish I would've been on here as I could've set you up with a buddy in the Watson, Leroy area as their was alot holding in that area when the weather was cold and snowy.

troutfly
05-04-2014, 09:41 AM
A couple weeks ago I saw thousands (I guessed at least 7500) flying North over Medicine Hat. Way up high and making one heck of a racket.

I saw that bunch as well. Had to be at least that many if not a couple thousand more. Didn't look like they were stopping any time soon.

Saw a couple hundred a few days later around Bassano in a field. Sure hope we get a Spring season soon.