PDA

View Full Version : Things you have shot but wish you hadn't

DiabeticKripple
04-19-2014, 01:28 PM
this might be good for some laughs.

when i was younger (maybe 8 or 9) i had a BB gun and there was a wounded cowbird in my backyard. i think it hit my window. anyways i took my BB gun and shot it right in the head. it flopped around a bit and then died. felt pretty bad. went back inside and 20 mins later came back out to throw it in the garbage and it was gone. dont know what happened to it. mustve just stunned it.

KevGuy
04-19-2014, 01:54 PM
There is nothing that I have blown away that I regret.

bat119
04-19-2014, 01:57 PM
When I was about 15 my cousin bet me I couldn't pull both barrels of a 12 ga. shotgun

My shoulder was sore for a month!

Magnet7mm
04-19-2014, 02:03 PM
Shot a small buck one year that tumbled to the bottom of a 300' coulee. Wtf was I thinking
Hardest I have ever worked for fifty pounds of meat

Gate guy
04-19-2014, 04:32 PM
When I was a kid I was told don't kill any thing you wouldn't eat. Then being young and foolish I shot a robin with my pellet gun and my dad saw me. Funny now but wasn't then. Took a long time to pluck all the feathers and then dad cooked it up (over cooked and no spices) made me eat the whole thing.
All I can say is robin doesn't taste good enough to ever warent shooting another one.

jungleboy
04-19-2014, 05:30 PM
I once shot my truck with a .22 . wish I hadn't done that . Was using the box as a gun rest while aligning a scope and shot through the box rail:D

KegRiver
04-19-2014, 06:27 PM
I don't think regret is the right word but more and more I find killing anything unpleasant. Except for problem Bears and mice.

I can't remember actually feeling regret about shooting anything but I sure can about one animal I trapped.

It was an accidental catch. A Red Squirrel in a Marten set. The trap was really too big and did not catch it properly. The jaws closed around it's belly.

The poor thing was still alive when I found it and clearly it had suffered for hours. It turned my stomach. I released it but it was immediately apparent that it would not survive, I had to put it out of it's misery.
It was the hardest thing I've ever done.

I haven't trapped much since that day. My heart just isn't in it any more.

cpppark
04-19-2014, 06:57 PM
I hear you Keg.

Chewbacca
04-19-2014, 08:29 PM
When I was sixteen I shot a raven at the Whitehorse dump. It was a big fellow. Hoe operator told me he probably was there in gold rush times. Didn't know they grew that old. Didn't feel good about it at all. Years later I shot another, had the same feeling of remorse. Have never shot another raven.

lannie
04-19-2014, 09:47 PM
When I was sixteen I shot a raven at the Whitehorse dump. It was a big fellow. Hoe operator told me he probably was there in gold rush times. Didn't know they grew that old. Didn't feel good about it at all. Years later I shot another, had the same feeling of remorse. Have never shot another raven.

My curiosity got the best of me so I looked up the lifespan of the common Raven and its 21 years in the wild. Hoe Operator was confused.
Shoot another one, they say third times a charm. lol

Maxwell78
04-19-2014, 10:01 PM
I must if been around 7 or 8 hunting with my BB gun. I used to spend all day hunting birds with all the cats following me catching a free meal. The only thing my dad told me not to shoot was a wren that was living in a hole in the garage wall. For some stupid reason i shot it thinking it was a swallow. when i got to it, i could hear babies crying inside the wall. I felt so bad. Even to this day, I still think about it. I remember Dad so serious asking me if I shot that wren because he didn't hear it anymore and me lying to him. Not sure what was worse. Wow, 28 years goes by quickly.

When i go back to the farm, You can pinpoint the wrens in the bushes by their beautiful song they sing. I can listen to them all day. Puts a smile on the face.

bsmitty27
04-19-2014, 10:55 PM
I used to sit on the dock of little pond and shoot bb's at bats flying around. I actually hit one one day. Still feel bad about it!

IR_mike
04-19-2014, 11:39 PM
I was pretty independent as a youngster and always volunteered from a early age to forgo trips and stay home and do chores.

I was about 9 or 10 and had the place to myself for a few days.

The bull broke out of the corral one evening and while trying to get him pointed back in the right direction let a good sized ball bearing go from my slingshot (I figured it was a good tool to use unlike our one neighbor who used to use the 12 gauge with birdshot to move cattle as the slingshot was quieter).

I watched that bearing slam into the "pouch".

He let out the most god awful noise I had ever heard and his back legs went out from underneath him.

I stayed there till dark hoping for him to get back up.

I went and closed the gate across the driveway entrance so he could not get off the property that night if he got up and wanted to make a run for it.

In the morning He was up and about and I did not have a prob getting him back in the corral with a pail of chop.

That fall we had a bunch of cows not take and the old man had to rent a bull which caused next springs calving season to run into the summer and resulted in the sale of the original bull.

Having been in "precarious" situations before I never uttered a word of that "experience" till now.

KegRiver
04-20-2014, 12:08 AM
I watched that bearing slam into the "pouch".

He let out the most god awful noise I had ever heard and his back legs went out from underneath him.

OMG! I have sympathy pains just reading about that. For both of you.

I'll bet you felt almost as bad as he did!

IR_mike
04-20-2014, 12:12 AM
OMG! I have sympathy pains just reading about that. For both of you.

I'll bet you felt almost as bad as he did!

I was visited by the ghosts of punishments past, present, and future that night.

As a guy I felt really bad, I was also thinking there was a good chance of burger and garlic sausage being my only protein for the next 500 lbs of meals.

And knowing the old man I would have been working off the price of the bull and then the processing cost.

Edit: I got thinking about it I was off on the age as I was 12/1985.

Chewbacca
04-20-2014, 12:43 AM
My curiosity got the best of me so I looked up the lifespan of the common Raven and its 21 years in the wild. Hoe Operator was confused.
Shoot another one, they say third times a charm. lol

After all these years of guilt. Thanks. A heavy weight has been lifted from my shoulders. I will walk straighter now. :)

rwm1273
04-20-2014, 01:59 AM
I shot the TV with a slingshot when I was pretty young. I will never do that again.

Dick284
04-20-2014, 03:55 AM
This:
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/Dick284/DSCF1093.jpg
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/Dick284/DSCF1092.jpg

Scratched the stock "bad" on it's maiden range trip:angry3:...... Never quite loved her as much after that, sold her at a loss too.:(

gitrdun
04-20-2014, 10:33 AM
I shot the TV with a slingshot when I was pretty young. I will never do that again.

Were you cleaning it when it went off? Or did it have a Remington trigger?

Big Daddy Badger
04-20-2014, 06:51 PM
A cat when I was about 12.

Not that I'm very fond of them but it was accidental....really.

A pal and I were out with the old wrist rockets... bags of marbles nailing squirrels.

I saw one on a pile of old scrap lumber and lined up.
As I released a cats-eye of doom... the squirrel sort of ducked and guess who peaked his nose up over the backside of that wood pile.

Yup... he had plans for that squirrel as well...I hammered the poor bugger square between the lookers.
At first both of us were pretty amused by the whole thing... it was sort of cartoon like.:(
But when we didn't see that cat pealing away from the backside of that pile....well... we knew we had a problem...it was his neighbours cat.

The worst part was that we sort of got roped into the search for that thing a couple days later.
There was much sobbing from their daughter who...I had a bit of a crush on.

It was under that woodpile... good thing they didn't call a psychic.

Well end result is that I got away with it but... I never got the girl... I just couldn't look her in the eye after that.

First time I hid a body::scared0018::sHa_shakeshout:

Oh... and I regret the time my Dad came home to find a dead deer hanging in the woodshed one fall afternoon a couple years later.
You do the math...:thinking-006:

KegRiver
04-20-2014, 06:55 PM
First time I hid a body::scared0018::sHa_shakeshout:

First time!!! Do tell!!!! :scared0018::sHa_sarcasticlol:

Big Daddy Badger
04-20-2014, 08:38 PM
First time!!! Do tell!!!! :scared0018::sHa_sarcasticlol:

:scared0018::scared:

Why?

You need to borrow a shovel?:sHa_shakeshout:

Shongololo
04-20-2014, 10:31 PM
About 11 years old and shot the neigbour's peacock with a .22 In my defence he was rooting around the vegetable garden

heretohunt
04-20-2014, 10:37 PM
This thread is awesome!
I shot Bobby B with an elastic and a hair pin at about 30 yards unprovoked. It stuck in right under his eye! Dang that was too close! He is a great guy and that was a dumb move!

Big Daddy Badger
04-20-2014, 10:42 PM
This thread is awesome!
I shot Bobby B with an elastic and a hair pin at about 30 yards unprovoked. It stuck in right under his eye! Dang that was too close! He is a great guy and that was a dumb move!

But...a great shot nonetheless.:)

catnthehat
04-20-2014, 10:47 PM
I shot a race gun once - wish I could go back in time and erase that event!:thinking-006:
Cat

urcayuse
04-21-2014, 09:04 PM
Shot my own chronograph. Regret that one!

Ultimate Predator
04-21-2014, 09:19 PM
Shot the insulator on the home pole with .22 short never seen flames like that burnt the pole down wires were dancing never shi# my pants so bad in my life all my mom could say wait till your dad gets home mom told power company that it just happened they said some times they just explode no more .22 for a couple weeks small price to pay

bobinthesky
04-21-2014, 09:31 PM
Fifty years or so ago while walking to school, me and a bud loaded a firecracker into a.308 case and stuffed a .22 rimfire case into the mouth with the fuse hanging out. We put it in the middle of the street and I stuck my foot on it while he lit the fuse, shot a kid in the back a block ahead of us. It was fall and his thick coat protected him.
Best shot I ever made with my foot! Never wished we hadn't done it either!

IR_mike
04-21-2014, 11:04 PM
Shot the insulator on the home pole with .22 short never seen flames like that burnt the pole down wires were dancing never shi# my pants so bad in my life all my mom could say wait till your dad gets home mom told power company that it just happened they said some times they just explode no more .22 for a couple weeks small price to pay

Yup, fire makes any mistake way more intense.

Flatlandliver
04-22-2014, 03:57 AM
Was using bags target shooting and couldn't figure out why it wasn't grouping till I saw the "nicks" in the end of the folded bipod, duh.

leo
04-22-2014, 07:46 AM
Carbon Caster's 416 Rigby last night! :sHa_sarcasticlol: It stopped being fun after the 3rd round. :eek:

CanuckShooter
04-22-2014, 09:30 AM
Don't try this.

Laser bore sighter that wasn't removed..cost bore sighter, barrel , windshield on truck...thankfully that is all.

nekred
04-22-2014, 10:31 AM
Again a youngster with a .22 decided to check my skills on a chickadee in the trees.... was pretty proud of my headless chickadee until Dad found out....

We made quite a pair

Bird with no head and me with no arse...

rwm1273
04-23-2014, 06:45 AM
Were you cleaning it when it went off? Or did it have a Remington trigger?

It had the Remington trigger. And I blamed it on my sister. After all it was her marble I used.

Ranch11
04-23-2014, 12:37 PM
Well last year, had two very good mulie bucks on my trail cameras, one at 175", and the other waaaay bigger. Anyways, bow hunted both with no luck. Prior to first day of rifle season, I found a carcass in the Ditch in front of my house. ,it was a buck, but the antlers were taken. I wasn't sure if it was the really big one or not. I hunted in the rifle season for about three weeks, and finally pulled the trigger on the 175". Unsure if the other buck was killed in a car accident or simply moved on. Turns out, he was indeed in a car accident, and some lucky passer-by got his 220" antlers. If I had known for sure, I woulda never shot that 175". I woulda let him walk, and spread more of his seed, and see what he was like next year.

303carbine
04-23-2014, 03:50 PM
I didn't shoot it, but it would not get off the road and let me pass in the truck. Every time I went left, so did the bull.
I would go to the right to try again, but the bull stepped over to the right and blocked me again.
I got tired of this game, I stepped out of the truck and put the toe of my Dayton right in his bag.
I never saw a bull move so fast in my life, he stayed right off the road after that.:)
No regrets.........

58thecat
04-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Myself in the foot with a rolled up piece of tin foil out of my pellet rifle, freakin lodge under the skin and hurt. Did not tell my parents or the pellet rifle would have been gone for a long time. Of course we did not have Xbox back then so we entertained ourselves!:)

Altaboy
04-23-2014, 06:08 PM
.458 Lot

bb356
04-23-2014, 07:17 PM
Mulie buck ... just to fill a tag

air cleaner on a G6 ... the ol man tanned my arse

Snowdog
04-23-2014, 07:50 PM
I don't think regret is the right word but more and more I find killing anything unpleasant. Except for problem Bears and mice.

I can't remember actually feeling regret about shooting anything but I sure can about one animal I trapped.

It was an accidental catch. A Red Squirrel in a Marten set. The trap was really too big and did not catch it properly. The jaws closed around it's belly.

The poor thing was still alive when I found it and clearly it had suffered for hours. It turned my stomach. I released it but it was immediately apparent that it would not survive, I had to put it out of it's misery.
It was the hardest thing I've ever done.

I haven't trapped much since that day. My heart just isn't in it any more.

Interesting Keg, my hunting buddy and mentor is heading in the same direction as you, he told me last season that the day will come when he carries his camera instead of his rifle, just doesn't like killing things anymore. My neighbour (in his late 70's) said last summer he cant shoot the porkys killing his beloved fruit trees because it is "hard on his soul", he goes to great length to trap them in his skunk trap which they keep chewing through because it is plastic and he is too cheap and too old to buy a metal one.

Bassett
04-23-2014, 07:56 PM
My first buck, only because my dad wasn't there. Wish I could have had him by my side instead of calling him at work. But he had to work in order for me to go!

But he was there for my first deer so that's what counts.

hal53
04-23-2014, 07:58 PM
Interesting Keg, my hunting buddy and mentor is heading in the same direction as you, he told me last season that the day will come when he carries his camera instead of his rifle, just doesn't like killing things anymore. My neighbour (in his late 70's) said last summer he cant shoot the porkys killing his beloved fruit trees because it is "hard on his soul", he goes to great length to trap them in his skunk trap which they keep chewing through because it is plastic and he is too cheap and too old to buy a metal one.
That is the 5th stage of the hunter. I am there as well, I have shot my , or more, share of animals and birds in my life, but every fall something awakens. I buy all the tags, maybe a few not needed items and "go out". I am fortunate that I work in the country every day, so each day is a hunting day, sort of, or better.."a looking day", ha ha I haven't shot a deer for over 10 years, but do enjoy watching and helping my son in law and daughter harvest theirs. it is a strange feeling at times, but I still love the crisp days of fall when you know the wildlife is on the move....and I have a gun with me......

crownb
04-23-2014, 08:21 PM

Wow!!! That's a whole different kind of shooting.

norwestalta
04-23-2014, 08:31 PM
That is the 5th stage of the hunter. I am there as well, I have shot my , or more, share of animals and birds in my life, but every fall something awakens. I buy all the tags, maybe a few not needed items and "go out". I am fortunate that I work in the country every day, so each day is a hunting day, sort of, or better.."a looking day", ha ha I haven't shot a deer for over 10 years, but do enjoy watching and helping my son in law and daughter harvest theirs. it is a strange feeling at times, but I still love the crisp days of fall when you know the wildlife is on the move....and I have a gun with me......

I hear ya. Love hunting with the kids but now they're of the age where work is more important.

I shot my buddies dog years ago and I'm not looking forward to when it's time to put my ol'black dog down.

1Heavyhitr
04-24-2014, 01:55 PM
shot the insulator on the home pole with .22 short never seen flames like that burnt the pole down wires were dancing never shi# my pants so bad in my life all my mom could say wait till your dad gets home mom told power company that it just happened they said some times they just explode no more .22 for a couple weeks small price to pay

lmao!

Redfrog
04-24-2014, 02:02 PM

:)

Chewbacca
04-24-2014, 02:05 PM
Other than the ravens, the time when I was 15 I shot myself in the foot with a .22 LR. Now that was an experience. :)

Red Bullets
04-24-2014, 03:41 PM
I shot off my mouth once and said "I do." Big time regret.

Roughneck Country
04-24-2014, 04:01 PM
The death of a rabbit named Roberta... A "Dwarf" rabbit some city slicker had bought that grew into a jack rabbit was re-habitutated to my cousins farm . It had aclimated quite well to being ferel around the yard despite the 20+ cats crusing the place and had stuck around the yard for 2 years. One day we were shooting gophers around the yard with the .22 I said "whats that?" My cousin said thats Roberta (she had a reddish colored fur so easy to identify) he held the riffle out with out aiming and shot to scare her away at this time she was 50-100 yards out. Hit here right in the head. We were shatting our pants because my aunt thought of it still as a pet. About 6 months later at Christmas my aunt commented she hadn't seen Roberta for quite some time my cousin and I looked at eachother and just about s%$t a brick. Cousin said coyotes must have got her. Aunt still doesn't know Robertas fate

Foxton Gundogs
04-24-2014, 04:10 PM

I shoot all the crows and ravens I can, ever see what they do to the ducklings and goslings. Hate the black Ba**ards

Chewbacca
04-24-2014, 04:17 PM
I shoot all the crows and ravens I can, ever see what they do to the ducklings and goslings. Hate the black Ba**ards

I'll have to say no, I have never seen what they do to ducklings and goslings. I have read that crows actually target song birds though. Not cool in my books.

Foxton Gundogs
04-24-2014, 05:09 PM
They can devastate the hatch. I was once driving beside a marsh and something hit my hood I got out and there was a li'l gosling hiding under the truck and a raven dive bombing down trying to get it. It appears he ad been making off with it and dropped it. I caught it and took it back to the marsh put it in the water and off it paddled after a group of baby geese and mama. Tuff little bugger. I have seen ravens and crows grabbing the babies and take off with them evil critters they are.

kujoseto
04-24-2014, 05:10 PM
But...a great shot nonetheless.:)

LOL!!!
Just about fell out of my chair!

Great stories so far.

Shot a light bulb with a welding rod (from a home made "bow") in the landlord's potato quonset. Neighbour kid was raving about my good shot to my parents and the hired hand. A stern talking to from the farmer placed a healthy dose of fear in me. I was around 8-10.

Shot a killdeer squawking at me when I was missing gophers with the .22. It seemed like mockery and I couldn't hit a darn thing. Turned the gun on the bird and made my first hit in about 10 shots. Oops! Felt bad. He got what the gophers ordered.

Lumberman
04-24-2014, 05:27 PM
Best thread ever. When i was a kid i was roaming around the backyard learning archery and shot through one of the basement windows of the house. "You have a whole quarter section to shoot in and you have to shoot at the house?"

marlin1
04-24-2014, 05:32 PM
my chevy

catnthehat
04-24-2014, 05:43 PM
I once shot a woodchuck when I was young, with my Gramps' .577 Snider.:thinking-006:
I'm still not sure , but I think the old man was more pizzed that Ii opened a fresh package ( vintage 1873!!) if ammo to do it, rather than use the Deuce or the Swift!!:budo:
Cat

greylynx
04-24-2014, 05:47 PM

Like Redfrog says...:)

And just as much fun.

Matt L.
04-24-2014, 05:51 PM
They can devastate the hatch. I was once driving beside a marsh and something hit my hood I got out and there was a li'l gosling hiding under the truck and a raven dive bombing down trying to get it. It appears he ad been making off with it and dropped it. I caught it and took it back to the marsh put it in the water and off it paddled after a group of baby geese and mama. Tuff little bugger. I have seen ravens and crows grabbing the babies and take off with them evil critters they are.

Hmm, life sucks sometimes don't it? Especially in nature.

pdfish
04-24-2014, 06:03 PM
I once shot my truck with a .22 . wish I hadn't done that . Was using the box as a gun rest while aligning a scope and shot through the box rail:D

A buddy did that to my truck once. Nothing I could do but laugh. Don't know how many times I had to explain what the hole was from

DiabeticKripple
04-24-2014, 06:18 PM
I've been eyeing these 2 magpies that have taken residence in my tree. Too bad it's illegal.

RandyBoBandy
04-24-2014, 06:18 PM

shot a load into my sister's friend who gave me the clap

2 minutes in the penalty box for you buddy:sHa_sarcasticlol:
and not for the first 2 offences! :)

JohninAB
04-24-2014, 06:26 PM
Shot my mouth off one evening, got an attitude adjustment by a farm boy.LOL

I like some of the other posters on here have less and less interest in shooting any game animal. Will buy a tag or two and still go out to share the good times with friends and family but have to be something awful enticing to make me shoot nowadays.

Coyotes and gophers (Richardson Ground Squirrels) though still tickle my fancy as do ruffies.

Foxton Gundogs
04-24-2014, 07:03 PM
Hmm, life sucks sometimes don't it? Especially in nature.

Definitely, spent my entire life in the bush of B.C. and the Yukon. I have cowboyed. ranched, packed, guided and hunted for most of my life.. Wolves, yotes, ravens and crows are high on my hit list. Their numbers are out of hand and what ever I can do to knock them down will help out the game population even if just a little bit.

Rdamours
04-24-2014, 08:07 PM
As a kid I shot a dog in the bag with a pellet gun when he was bent over tearing up our garbage bags. He yelped forever rubbing his butt on the ground. I never saw him in our yard again.

I shot too many little birds with that dumb pellet gun that I regret. The pigeons and magpies I don't regret as much. Slavia 624 I believe was the instrument of destruction.

lake side
04-24-2014, 08:25 PM
I shot a 104 in golf last year.....I hate myself for it.

LS

greylynx
04-24-2014, 08:27 PM
OP:

Is this an anti gun baiting question?

philintheblank
04-24-2014, 08:44 PM

shot a load into my sister's friend who gave me the clap

Maybe try rubber bullets next time. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

moosemad
04-24-2014, 08:54 PM
Put down one of my dogs a few years ago, he was in bad shape, figured I'd save a few bucks and do it myself. Never again.

wasteland.soldier
04-24-2014, 09:21 PM
Not something I shot, but I still feel responsible for some idiocy. Only time I ever met up with somebody from these forums, we went to shoot gophers. Drove around all morning asking for permission but getting turned down. Everybody was extremely polite and almost apologetic about it though. Another reason I love getting out of the city.

Finally a real nice guy lets us onto his property after we'd been driving around asking for hours. We set up on the hillside he told us we could shoot at. The guy I was with didn't bring binocs and was using his scope (not on people or cars, but still...). I didn't call him out for it since he was my ride back into town. He had a centerfire, being more interested in long range shooting than anything.

We weren't getting any luck as it was pretty windy for gophers. I noticed what looked like a keg or propane tank some 400 or so yards out and casually point it out to him. He scopes it, and to my surprise fires at it! He just took the one shot , and chuckles to himself saying he thinks he hit it. I couldn't believe he fired at something that didn't belong to him, after the guy had been so nice to let us use his property. He had no idea if it was garbage, or a propane tank, or some other type of tank that while empty, the farmer didn't want holes in.

I didn't mention it, since like I said he was my ride. But every time I think back on it, I wish I'd given him an earful. It's crap like that that makes people reluctant to grant permission, especially near the city.

nelsonob1
04-25-2014, 01:08 AM
Took my brother in law hunting a couple of years back and he shot my truck whilst unloading with a 30 06. Went through the rear cab panel, then rear passenger seat, through the driver seat and out the windshield, except for the fragments that pebble dashed just about every interior component in front of the driver seat.

Quite the surprise for us both.

catnthehat
04-25-2014, 07:44 AM
Have a very good friend whose Bro in law shot his truck while arguing that it wasn't loaded - inside the cab.
Bullet went through the hump but missed the bell housing , chipping the ring gear!:thinking-006:
Cat

DiabeticKripple
04-25-2014, 12:17 PM
OP:

Is this an anti gun baiting question?

Not at all, just a thread full of funny stories.

3blade
04-25-2014, 04:21 PM
We had a big orange barn cat, probably dumped by someone, made himself our official mouse control officer. We fed him a little in winter, and he knew to stay out of the garden. One day I was out looking for magpies with my pellet gun, and since I hadn't seen any, decided to shoot at an old compost bin made from pallets. Pop....WHAP..BOOM! The cat broke the sound barrier getting outta there! Thankfully I shot the top and he was at the bottom, so he was unharmed and returned a few days later. Always felt bad, scaring the only useful cat around.

huntinalberta
04-25-2014, 07:50 PM
My uncle and ant were at my grandpas house (they were dating at the time). My uncle saw a crow outside the big glass sliding door. He picked up his 12 gage thinking he would impress my ant, and took a shot at the crow. And he shot right threw the big glass door. I think it was fixed within a couple of days.im sure he regrets that!

Red Bullets
04-25-2014, 09:02 PM
Have a very good friend whose Bro in law shot his truck while arguing that it wasn't loaded - inside the cab.
Bullet went through the hump but missed the bell housing , chipping the ring gear!:thinking-006:
Cat

Reminds me of a guy I know from Leduc that was in the front seat of a car and an "unloaded" 30-30 in the back seat of the car went off. The bullet hit the seat belt metal in the seat and shrapneled him in 3 places of the lower back. He is still around to talk about it too.

Maxwell78
04-25-2014, 10:19 PM
I forgot that my brother and I were shooting grandma's chickens with our slingshot one day. Man did we get heck for that.

coolpete1
04-25-2014, 10:30 PM
i dropped a finishing nail in my daisy bb gun and shot my sister in the arse with it , its still funny 20 years later.

Unregistered user
04-25-2014, 10:43 PM
My bolt.

Redfrog
04-25-2014, 10:57 PM
my chevy

Likely a mercy killing, right?

Big Daddy Badger
04-25-2014, 11:54 PM
Likely a mercy killing, right?

Or revenge....

bigmeadow
04-26-2014, 08:42 PM
When I was 11 I dropped a power line with my daisy BB gun shooting at those round glass things on the power line... scared the crap out of me as it was sparking on the ground before the line went dead. Thank goodness I was on my aunts deck... ithought I was going to get away with it untill my uncle came outside and told us the power was out... oops regretted that then... funny thing was my aunt picked up the glass pieces some black and stuck in the ground and made an ornament for me for a wedding gift...

animal wise a duck, I was 7 and begged my memere to let me shoot at it and what would you know I hit it...

canadian medic
04-26-2014, 09:39 PM
when I was 16 we took a couple shot guns and a adidas bag full of 45 some of them might have been worth some thing now only reason I regret it was they were my uncles man did he lay a thumping on me for that

plinker
04-26-2014, 10:01 PM
When I was 18 and new to Alberta I trapped a gopher and threw it into Chestermere Lake to watch it swim. As God is my witness I thought gophers could swim. It sank in about two feet of water and I could see it walking along the bottom of the lake. I felt so bad I jumped in and pulled it out. It was limp by then and didn't seem to be breathing. I kid you not that I did CPR on that rat on the hood of my Chevy truck. I pumped it's little chest with one finger and blew at it's nose and managed to bring it back. After it got it's bearings back I let it go. I felt terrible about that even though I was an avid gopher hunter.

ww2269
04-26-2014, 10:51 PM
Well I'm a sucker for a 150-170 inch deer. Get caught up in the moment and have a hard time letting them go to grow. Several of the deer i have were young and had the potential to be book deer without question.

Big Daddy Badger
04-26-2014, 11:15 PM
i dropped a finishing nail in my daisy bb gun and shot my sister in the arse with it , its still funny 20 years later.

So... the first girl you nailed was.... nevermind:scared0018:

Big Daddy Badger
04-26-2014, 11:20 PM
When I was 18 and new to Alberta I trapped a gopher and threw it into Chestermere Lake to watch it swim. As God is my witness I thought gophers could swim. It sank in about two feet of water and I could see it walking along the bottom of the lake. I felt so bad I jumped in and pulled it out. It was limp by then and didn't seem to be breathing. I kid you not that I did CPR on that rat on the hood of my Chevy truck. I pumped it's little chest with one finger and blew at it's nose and managed to bring it back. After it got it's bearings back I let it go. I felt terrible about that even though I was an avid gopher hunter.

A pal of mine did that for a muskrat.

He was just tossing rocks in flooded field.... not really trying to hit anything then...boink... and theres a muskrat doing the starfish.
He handed me his wallet and waded in to save it.
A few minutes of man to muskrat CPR and he brought the bugger back.

He's been buying my silence with beer ever since.

buglebull
04-27-2014, 12:02 AM
I think Ultimate Predator has the best one so far with the insulator on the power pole. Can't stop laughing. I was that same kid with a .22 . . . at a young age . . . at Grandma's farm . . . way out in the middle of the bald prairie near Vulcan Alberta . . . on a hot summers day . . . with my crosshairs on the same glass insulator but was to scared to shoot. I found something else to shoot tho . . . . it was the glass windows in my uncle's huge century old red barn. I have a feeling that he knows I did it. I can blame my older brother too. I Probably caved to peer pressure in the moment.

I also regret shooting my aunts front window out with my cousins BB gun when I was 8 or so. Nobody was home in the house except for me . . . . being fascinated with guns at an early age, I opened the back entry closet to find a cluster of guns in the corner. I grabbed the BB gun levered a round and aimed out the 4 ft window and pulled the trigger. I was quite startled when the shot created a perfect round hole through the window. I quickly put the BB gun back where I found it and went to the couch to watch TV by myself heart pounding. . . . . . a few minutes later a crowd of people gathered in the back entrance to see the new find . . . . . . after the questioning period to find out how it happened (CSI crime scene) I broke down and told all . . . . many tears but I came clean.

The common thread here is glass for me in various forms.

One last one that I can't forget is my first bow kill at age 9. Hunting in the park green strip behind the house I grew up in in the city. I found a gathering of robin red breasts. I stealthily got to within bow range aimed and fired. Pierced one right through the breast. I still remember the horrible death sounds it made before it gave up the ghost. Some things you just don't
forget.

Forest Techer
04-27-2014, 12:21 AM

Winner!

Too funny to be true. Would of taken this to my grave

huntin
04-27-2014, 06:38 AM
I shot the transfer case on my brand new truck about 10 years ago I was spending way to much time coyote hunting according to my wife. so I loaded her and the 2 boys up to show her how much fun it was. I seen a coyote out in the field behind this ladys house so I got permission and then set up in the corrals. it was feeding time for the youngest boy 3months old. and nap time for the older 2 years old. so I was out there by myself called the coyote into about 5 yards. the firs shot I missed and the second the rifle jammed. by the time I got the second round chambered it was to late. so I put the safety on a walked back to the truck kinda pouting that I missed a coyote at 5 yards. here is where I messed up I put the rifle in to the truck and jumped in the wife asks wheres this stupid coyote so as i'm backing out of the farm yard telling her the story it dawns on me that my rifle is loaded. I stop and try to put the safety into the middle so I can work the bolt. well it went all the way forward and something was touching the trigger because holy hell did that truck come alive. and there we sat waiting for a tow truck.

Flatlandliver
04-27-2014, 10:41 AM
A pal of mine did that for a muskrat.

He was just tossing rocks in flooded field.... not really trying to hit anything then...boink... and theres a muskrat doing the starfish.
He handed me his wallet and waded in to save it.
A few minutes of man to muskrat CPR and he brought the bugger back.

He's been buying my silence with beer ever since.

Does this mean you have to pay the beer back?

Red Bullets
04-28-2014, 01:41 AM
I remember a coyote that haunts me to this day. I once shot a coyote that refused to die. He gave me such a look like..."Why are you shooting me?" It was hard to finish him off. Had to do it point blank. I'd shot lots of other yappers before and after but that one really stuck out.

Way back...
I single handedly eliminated the whole gopher colony in our pastures by the time I was 6. I used 22 shorts and number 0 victor legholds. The ruthless killing of the gophers and magpies still haunts me. But I do remember there being a 5 cent bounty for a set of magpie legs being offered by the county for incentive. At that time, gasoline was about 30 cents a US gallon (3.78 liters) so a nickel was substantial.

The odd thing about it is I had killed all the gophers before I started grade one. I would guesstimate I killed a few hundred. Hasn't been a gopher on that land since. 50+ years later... On a moonlit night I can still see and hear the gopher ghosts standing and whistling in the pasture.