PDA

View Full Version : spring black bear

NextRidge
04-19-2014, 02:31 PM
Hey everyone, im just moving to GP from southern BC. Im just curious as to how many people hunt bears spot and stalk vs over bait. In bc we cannot bait bears so I have never done it. I love spot and stalk bear hunting in the spring its a fun hunt. I know there are lots of advantages to baiting, like getting a closer look at the size of the bear and the condition of their fur etc. but to me theres nothing like spotting them from a distance and stalk in as close as you can.

so which do you prefer, and why?

here is a pic from my first archery spot and stalk B-Bear, not a big one but I was pretty proud to stalk into 40 yards from 400, and it was my first bow kill. I have passed many larger ones with my rifle.
http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh597/monasheemountainman/DSCN1137_zps83a93bf5.jpg (http://s1253.photobucket.com/user/monasheemountainman/media/DSCN1137_zps83a93bf5.jpg.html)

Helim
04-19-2014, 04:34 PM
I am against baiting i do not see much sport in it kinda seems like shooting a cow in a field not to hard but thats my opinion spot and stalk is the way to go

Ryry4
04-19-2014, 04:37 PM
I've never hunted over bait, I always have hunted bears spot and stock. But, I will one day go to BC and hunt them with hounds.

NextRidge
04-19-2014, 04:42 PM
2 for spot and stalk, right on. there is obviously a lot more farm/private land in alberta vs bc, do you guys hunt bears on private land, or crown land mostly?

NextRidge
04-19-2014, 04:43 PM
I've never hunted over bait, I always have hunted bears spot and stock. But, I will one day go to BC and hunt them with hounds.

hounds would be awesome, Id love to do that

Ryry4
04-19-2014, 05:16 PM
I've hunted them on mostly crown land.

Davidantkiw
04-19-2014, 05:32 PM
I'm looking to kill my first bear this year but having a toss up between spring or fall I would like to get one for eating what is your suggestions for time of year

NextRidge
04-19-2014, 06:19 PM
fall bears generally taste better, in my experience because they have been feeding on berries throughout late summer. assuming that there are berries near where you will be hunting them. I however don't focus on bear hunting in the fall because I am looking for ungulates, so mostly I end up eating spring bears.

KegRiver
04-19-2014, 06:20 PM
I've never hunted Bears in the classic sense.
All the Bears I have killed were causing problems on property I either owned or had right of access to.

Although it wasn't hunting in the classic sense, most of those Bears were taken by what amounted to spot and stalk tactics.

I've never hunted anything over bait. But where legal I see nothing wrong with it. Legal or not I have no experience with it so can't comment on it.

CBintheNorth
04-20-2014, 08:17 AM
I am against baiting.../...kinda seems like shooting a cow in a field.

That's funny, I am against spot and stalk for the same reason!:rolleye2:

It's like a dream of world piece that I have, a world without comments like these that destroy us as a fraternity.

To the OP, sorry for the derail. I like whichever method puts a smile on my face for that day. My suggestion to you is to try both and then decide. Set the bar high and keep your archery gear, you'll find neither is easy.

Congrats on the bear and welcome to Alberta.

NextRidge
04-20-2014, 08:57 AM
Interesting. It wouldn't really be hunting, or all that fun if it were easy!

Thanks for the replies everyone

winger7mm
04-20-2014, 09:39 AM
I am against baiting i do not see much sport in it kinda seems like shooting a cow in a field not to hard but thats my opinion spot and stalk is the way to go

sounds like you need to be put in a ground blind over a bait......

H380
04-20-2014, 01:45 PM
sounds like you need to be put in a ground blind over a bait......

or ditch the blind ..call and" BE" the bait :budo:

jacenbeers
04-20-2014, 03:05 PM
Congratulations. Why do the yes look like they are bulging out?

outdoors forever
04-20-2014, 04:47 PM
Congratulations. Why do the yes look like they are bulging out?

Assuming you meant eyes? I think you are looking at some vegetation in front of the bears head there, bud.......:lol:

I have been hunting for 15 years and have yet to whack a bear. Hopefully that's gonna change this year!

wasteland.soldier
04-20-2014, 11:36 PM
Trying for a spring bear this season. Spot and stalk. I have no personal experience, but I've heard that near rivers, Fall bears have a bit of a funky taste from the fish.

I'm not interested in baiting at this point in my life but have no problem with it. It does seem less like hunting and more "harvesting", but then again I have no problem with trapping either. Seems pretty similar, and TBH, far more selective. If I ever want a really nice rug or full mount I'd consider baiting.

Welcome to AB and good luck!