PDA

View Full Version : what is your version of an outdoors man sportsman???

u_cant_rope_the_wind
04-19-2014, 03:53 PM
growing up in the 50's and 60's
reading the stories in field and stream, :test: from writers such as Jack O'Connor & Fred bear, and Howard Hill, I always tried to put their idea of a true sportsman into my hunts and attitude towards the sport, and try to pass these ethics on to younger up coming hunters, and our new generations of sportsmen and women,
So this being said, what is your version of an outdoors sportsman, :thinking-006: :party0052:

fordtruckin
04-19-2014, 04:31 PM
growing up in the 50's and 60's
reading the stories in field and stream, :test: from writers such as Jack O'Connor & Fred bear, and Howard Hill, I always tried to put their idea of a true sportsman into my hunts and attitude towards the sport, and try to pass these ethics on to younger up coming hunters, and our new generations of sportsmen and women,
So this being said, what is your version of an outdoors sportsman, :thinking-006: :party0052:

3 people come to mind when I think of a person like this. 1 my girlfriends Granddad. He spent his life as a NPS Law Enforcement Ranger. I never met the man but from the stories, he fit the bill. 2. My buddy Levi. He was born 150years to late. If you see him today he still brain tans his own hides, boils skulls, makes his own stone arrowheads and hunts with them, makes his own knives etc.. A true mountain man. Someone you would have expected to see panning for gold up in the Yukon or Alaska during the big rushes. 3. Would be Richard Proenneke. If you don't know who that is, he is the guy who moved to Alaska and lived there alone for 30ish years after building his own cabin on Twin Lakes. All 3 of these guys to me are textbook outdoorsman!

Davidantkiw
04-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Mr proenneke 100%

redbike
04-19-2014, 05:54 PM
Jack O'Connor, Frank Woolner, Nash Buckingham, Bert Spiller, Tap Tapley, George Bird Evans, Roosevelt, William Harnden Foster - all these guys helped form the sportsman I am today. Add to them the men I have hunted with over the years, each imparting a little influence. But mostly it is the authors.

last minute
04-19-2014, 06:28 PM
So this being said, what is your version of an outdoors sportsman,:thinking-006:anyone out there enjoying what they are doing fishing camping, hunting etc.:sHa_shakeshout:

greylynx
04-19-2014, 06:35 PM
I do not need names.

The environment I grew up in is my answer.

Dick284
04-19-2014, 07:00 PM
This guy is a pretty good outdoorsman in his own right.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/Dick284/Cat2.jpg

catnthehat
04-19-2014, 07:48 PM
This guy is a pretty good outdoorsman in his own right.

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b28/Dick284/Cat2.jpg

Huh??!! what kind of an outdorsman is he, why, he ain't even usin' irons!!:sign0161:Seriously though, thanks for the compliment Dick,, but I pale compared to those that taught me the ways of the bush and respect for animals in general!:)

Cat

albertadeer
04-19-2014, 09:07 PM
It's not what one does, it's what it does to one.

jungleboy
04-19-2014, 09:20 PM
I great outdoorsman is one who spends his free or spared time in outdoor pursuits hunting/fishing /camping /hiking / even trail riding whether on horse or machine. She/He does it and worries not, that others do it differently than they as long as they are out there doing it lawfully and respectfully.

trigger7mm
04-19-2014, 10:34 PM
I great outdoorsman is one who spends his free or spared time in outdoor pursuits hunting/fishing /camping /hiking / even trail riding whether on horse or machine. She/He does it and worries not, that others do it differently than they as long as they are out there doing it lawfully and respectfully.

Very well said.

Red Bullets
04-19-2014, 10:57 PM
Outdoors sportsman?

To me outdoorsmen are at home in the woods when it gets dark. Self reliant in all seasons..

The sportsmen goes home when it gets dark. Sportsmen are product reliant and are seasonal.

Now, IMO, an outdoors sportsman is a person that is diligently responsible, legal, knowledgeable and competent in their pursuit of the outdoor activity of choice.

sureshot
04-20-2014, 05:31 AM
Albert Johnson.

Preux86
04-20-2014, 07:11 AM
IMO they are 2 different things. On occaison they can be combined.

A Person who spends their free time in the outdoors. Hunting,fishing,hiking,climbing,canoeing,kayaking. Surviving being a key one. The list goes on theres plenty of outdoor activities beyond shooting Animals.

Sportsman, someone who takes sport in the pursuit of Game or Fishing Legally. and this could be the yuppy who spends 1 week a year on a outfitted hunt. And stays in posh lodgings. Good on him but (dosent make him an outdoorsman to be outside a few weeks a year)

And then theres the occasion of the combined. Which makes up a small part of modern hunting community. Most people wont pursue outdoor activities for most of the winter months.
(I myself spent the coldest days this year (-36+) snowshoeing for sport.)

So in Final words. As modern as this world is becoming. Theres no blame to be laid on how sportsmanship/outdoorsman is fading. Theres still a great huge wild Canada to be discovered and explored. You just got to get out and enjoy it for yourself

catnthehat
04-20-2014, 08:16 AM
Albert Johnson.

Albert Johnson??!!
How so?
He may have been a great outdoorsman and survivalist, but he was hardly a sportsman and his all around ethics stunk!:confused:
Cat

sureshot
04-20-2014, 09:19 AM
Albert Johnson??!!
How so?
He may have been a great outdoorsman and survivalist, but he was hardly a sportsman and his all around ethics stunk!:confused:
Cat

I was looking at it from the way he was able to survive in the conditions he did. As far as a sportsman he was not. For all round sportsman and outdoorsman I would go with Fred bear.

Matt L.
04-20-2014, 11:06 AM
It my opinion they are different as well. A sportsman is one who goes into the outdoors for sport purposes, whether fishing or hunting, or other activities. A true outdoorsman is one who all but lives in the wild. I do tend to call myself an outdoorsman though lol. Sounds better ;)

Red Bullets
04-20-2014, 12:22 PM
Albert Johnson??!!
How so?
Cat

Ol' Albert was pretty sporting. Took the mounties on a 70 mile race to the finish. Even with his snowshoes on backwards. :)

saskbooknut
04-20-2014, 03:58 PM
The image that I formed with the intro by the OP was of a Sportsman/Gentleman (or woman) -

The good attributes of a sportsman carry over into their relationships with other people, at all times, but specially in the field.

I also have been influenced by the great writers, sportsmen of stature and those outdoors people who have taken the time to mentor and share their love of hunting, fishing and observing nature.

And to add a well done for the Calgary Gun Show - some of the greatest sportsmen, good friends and mentors that I have met in my life were met at the Calgary Gun Show. I have been invited to peoples homes and into their hunting camps through meeting at the show.

catnthehat
04-20-2014, 08:10 PM
Ol' Albert was pretty sporting. Took the mounties on a 70 mile race to the finish. Even with his snowshoes on backwards. :)

He was a poacher , trap jumper and a murderer, hardly the picture of a sportsman.
Cat

Red Bullets
04-20-2014, 09:21 PM
He was a poacher , trap jumper and a murderer, hardly the picture of a sportsman.
Cat

I agree. not a sportsmanlike fellow. I was just being funny in my remarks about sporting.

catnthehat
04-20-2014, 09:28 PM
I agree. not a sportsmanlike fellow. I was just being funny in my remarks about sporting.
Jeepers you have s drier sense of humour than Redfrog!!:budo:
Cat

Big Daddy Badger
04-20-2014, 09:31 PM
Cat

You forgot cannibal.:)

catnthehat
04-20-2014, 09:58 PM

Oh dang! And a cannibal as well !:thinking-006:
Cat

Big Daddy Badger
04-21-2014, 03:40 AM
Oh dang! And a cannibal as well !:thinking-006:
Cat

Sorry Cat...I was just trying to help.

The guy was probably a card cheat as well:)

sureshot
04-21-2014, 07:25 AM
And you guys wonder why people stop posting on this forum.

wasteland.soldier
04-21-2014, 03:23 PM

I guess you should never trust a Johnson when times are tough (brings to mind Liver-Eating Johnson, a famous mountain man who had a penchant for the forbidden meats).

catnthehat
04-21-2014, 04:10 PM
I guess you should never trust a Johnson when times are tough (brings to mind Liver-Eating Johnson, a famous mountain man who had a penchant for the forbidden meats).

Yeah, I can never really put too much stock in the liver eating part, for either of the Johnsons or for Simon Girty for that matter, as there was no real hard evidence to prove it.
Cat

wasteland.soldier
04-21-2014, 04:44 PM
To be honest, I don't put too much stock in most of the tales of mountain men I hear. I just love the stories for what they are, stories.

Knot Rite
04-22-2014, 10:28 PM
To be honest, I don't put too much stock in most of the tales of mountain men I hear. I just love the stories for what they are, stories.

some truth there no doubt, but I like reading Ambrose on the, "Corp of Discoverery". Pretty much factual and a diary was kept by all the men in return for there triage they would get many acres at there chosen. Good read.

Bobby

leeaspell
04-22-2014, 11:29 PM
Mick Dodge

threeforthree
04-23-2014, 12:14 AM
As a kid I would wait till my subscription's to F@S would arrive and turn to the back page to read ,,,Gene Hill,,,if you ever want to read a book that will keep you reading till the end its a Gene Hill novel,,I own them all, when I feel something is missing in my outdoor, or dog sense's I grab a book and read a couple stories, he was the true meaning of a sportsmen!!!

stemorholake
04-23-2014, 12:14 PM
Timothy Treadwell all the way anyone who will sacrifice themselves and a friend for the good of all grizzlies is an outdoorsmans man in my eyes.

OR Dick Prenoeke.....actually I will go with Dick

Red Bullets
04-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Mick Dodge
I thought of old Mick too. He seems pretty woodsy. Along the west coast he does good but in an Alberta winter I am not so sure how he would fare.