PDA

View Full Version : Staining Sun Bleached Antlers ?

Preux86
04-19-2014, 08:07 PM
Just a quick question about staining Sun Bleached or Old Antlers.
Is Minwax wood stain or equivalents any good for bringing back color?
Ive read alot of different things online from waxes to stains.
Just wondering if anyone had some actual Experience with any good products. Thanx

winger7mm
04-19-2014, 09:32 PM
They have antler stain, the stuff taxidermists use, it looks great!

However dont be getting into the beers refinishing a table and doing antlers at the same time....... Antlers dont look very good with dark walnut stain on em lmao :bad_boys_20:

-CLM-
04-19-2014, 10:23 PM
Personally I find brown shoe polish works better then wood stain. You can also try using just plain out dirt from your garden and just work it into the antler.

The final outcome will depend on how faded out and weathered the antlers are. The longer the antlers have been exposed to the elements the harder they are to bring back to life.

Study some fresh antlers before you begin. You will notice that the color is not consistent along the entire length of the beam and tines with most tips being almost white and polished. Stained antlers that are the same color from the base to the tips don't look natural.

Good Luck and be sure to post up some pics when your done!

Fishhunter
04-20-2014, 07:56 AM
Minwax golden oak gets it pretty close let dry and try some walnut in places to get mor realistic results.

flyguyd
04-20-2014, 08:17 AM
They have antler stain, the stuff taxidermists use, it looks great!

Be very careful with potassium permanganate , it is unforgiving and very permanent :scared:

winger7mm
04-20-2014, 09:40 AM
Be very careful with potassium permanganate , it is unforgiving and very permanent :scared:

Is that the actual name of the stuff?? My bottle just says "antler stain" on it lol

flyguyd
04-20-2014, 09:43 AM
Is that the actual name of the stuff?? My bottle just says "antler stain" on it lol

Does it go on purple then turn brown ?
If it does its potassium permaganate.

elkhunter1234
04-20-2014, 11:45 AM

Hey winger.. The stuff I gave you is plan old antler stain from AAA. The potassium permaganate flyguyd is talking about is the good stuff, but like he said it is very permanent.

Dadirk
04-20-2014, 01:36 PM
I have used a paste of instant coffee for staining horns and bone like substance for years.

Donny Bear
04-20-2014, 03:29 PM
I new a taxidermist years back that used old motor oil

He just let them soak and then washed and dried looked good as far as I can recall

But I was pretty young and have never tried it

saddleup
04-20-2014, 04:01 PM
I have used potassium permanganate many times.. use it sparingly and wipe off immediately. if you don't like the color then, do it again, till you get the darkness of antler you want. east stuff to use, cheap at any pharmacy

Refrmek
04-23-2014, 06:07 PM
I used aniline dye from Lee Valley once and I was quite happy with the affect. It's cheap and comes in a variety of colours.

Advantage Taxidermy
04-23-2014, 10:53 PM
Motor oil and varsol for antelope not deer I learned that from Mike Hampson try roofing tar great color
Alex

Jimboy
04-23-2014, 11:50 PM
Just a quick question about staining Sun Bleached or Old Antlers.
Is Minwax wood stain or equivalents any good for bringing back color?
Ive read alot of different things online from waxes to stains.
Just wondering if anyone had some actual Experience with any good products. Thanx

DO NOT STAIN,all you need to do is wipe them generously with linseed oil and let dry , they will be natural again.

yamaha 1
04-24-2014, 07:57 AM
I used stain to bing back these antlers turned out great, I think.

Advantage Taxidermy
04-24-2014, 08:01 AM
Look great

walking buffalo
04-24-2014, 02:24 PM
DO NOT STAIN,all you need to do is wipe them generously with linseed oil and let dry , they will be natural again.

:confused:

What's wrong with using a stain?
How is using linseed oil different than using a stain?

Using only linseed oil will give you only one color option, and we all know that antlers will have a variety of colors based on what they have been rubbed on.
I use a variety of stains to refinish bleached antlers, from light oak to black walnut to mahogany and cherries. Mix and match to produce various colors.

albertadeer
04-24-2014, 03:15 PM
:confused:

What's wrong with using a stain?
How is using linseed oil different than using a stain?

Using only linseed oil will give you only one color option, and we all know that antlers will have a variety of colors based on what they have been rubbed on.
I use a variety of stains to refinish bleached antlers, from light oak to black walnut to mahogany and cherries. Mix and match to produce various colors.

Yup, love them dark spruce rubbin ones. Or the red alder and willow rubbers.

Pick a small antler and play around with different stains and see what you like.

Tatonka
04-24-2014, 03:41 PM
I have an old friend back in Vermont who restores old, weathered antlers. He says he uses all natural components he gets from the woods, but I don't know exactly what he uses. He can take an old set of antlers that are all cracked and bleached out and make them look fresh...amazing what he can do. I can't tell the difference when he's done. He has antler collectors from all over send him sheds and racks they have found for him to restore.... I haven't talked to him in quite a while, but I'm sure he's still doing it.... The last time I visited him, which was about 10 years ago, he had a monster non-typical from Iowa that he was working on...

flyguyd
04-24-2014, 09:44 PM

Sorry ,plain linseed will do almost nothing for white bleached out antlers except for keeping them from drying out. Works great for keeping them young tho....