PDA

View Full Version : Whitefish Slurpee.

dodger
10-25-2008, 07:12 PM
Well, I'm going to throw on the ice fishing gear and take the boat out for a cold ***** day on the water. 2 weeks ago when I was out my fish finder showed large schools of fish out front of the bays and I'm thinking there Lake Whites. I'm going to spend the morning going for Pike and then try the afternoon in the shallow bays trying for some Lake Whites with the fly rod. I'm not sure if I'm going to end up breaking a little ice while launching??? One thing for sure is that the Diet Pepsi will stay cold and the vinyl floor in the boat will mean a lot of time sliding around.
Dodger.

cujo1969
10-25-2008, 08:15 PM
where you headed mcgregor?

dodger
10-25-2008, 08:25 PM
Little Bow.

cujo1969
10-25-2008, 08:38 PM
good luck thought if mcgregor might stop by

dodger
10-25-2008, 08:44 PM
Are you going to give McGregor a try?
Dodger.

cujo1969
10-25-2008, 10:28 PM
yup gonna try mcgregor

floppychicken
10-26-2008, 01:06 AM
yup gonna try mcgregor

..but where do you like to fish in McGregor ? I've tried to get down the lower portion of the lake but each time I tried, the wind was so bad that I was forced to stay closer to the Boat Launch for fear of running out of gas, and not making it back ! Those damn North Winds churn up some HUGE waves on that lake too, actually, ANY significant wind seems to create waves on McGregor.

Caught some nice Walleye on the EAST side of the lake in many of the bay(s) but always manage to end up with small anaemic looking PIKE. Drive's me crazy too, as many Fisherman tell me the PIKE in there get huge and the population 'of big ones' are supposed to be big as well.
I don't think I've caught any PIKE bigger than 4 or 5 lbs, with my biggest fish being a Walleye weighing in at a 'hair' over 6lbs.

I would assume that at this time of the year that the Bigger PIKE would be chasing the 'More Active Whitefish' around the lake ?

Cheers,

/FC....

JBE
10-26-2008, 10:30 AM
..but where do you like to fish in McGregor ? I've tried to get down the lower portion of the lake but each time I tried, the wind was so bad that I was forced to stay closer to the Boat Launch for fear of running out of gas, and not making it back ! Those damn North Winds churn up some HUGE waves on that lake too, actually, ANY significant wind seems to create waves on McGregor.

Caught some nice Walleye on the EAST side of the lake in many of the bay(s) but always manage to end up with small anaemic looking PIKE. Drive's me crazy too, as many Fisherman tell me the PIKE in there get huge and the population 'of big ones' are supposed to be big as well.
I don't think I've caught any PIKE bigger than 4 or 5 lbs, with my biggest fish being a Walleye weighing in at a 'hair' over 6lbs.

I would assume that at this time of the year that the Bigger PIKE would be chasing the 'More Active Whitefish' around the lake ?

Cheers,

/FC....

There are a couple of places at the south end you can drop the boat in. That way you won't have to worry about the long trip back to the north when the wind starts blowing.

dodger
10-26-2008, 07:02 PM
"HOLY MACARONI" it was cold this morning on the water. The wind was lite but it sure froze my nose and eyeballs. There was absolutely no fish in any water deeper than 12'. The Pike were slow, I caught about a dozen and the water was really cloudy especially in the bays. I caught a big 0 Whiteys on the fly rod but I did pick up 3 on a little silver jigging lure that was mentioned by one of the board members I while back. The bites came when the lure as fluttering down from the slip bobber. The fish finder showed lots of schools of about 15-20 fish in 8' of water. When the wind stopped I was able to see the Whiteys swimming along the surface in the bays. Any bays with weeds were completely empty of fish but the flat / hard bottom bays showed the schools of fish. Water temp was 3.8C and it was sure cold on the hands when I had to reach in and grab my fish. This looks like it's the last open water report for a while, these old bones just can't take the cold anymore.
Dodger.