PDA

View Full Version : Plugging Sheep Horns In AB?

Full Curl
04-22-2014, 08:38 AM
Can anybody please tell me when Alberta started the proceedure of plugging sheep horns?
I did a bit of Google but didn't find much.
Thanks.

Sheepcrazyguy
04-22-2014, 09:15 AM
Not exactly sure but I believe it was around 1990. Give or take a few years. Seems to me it all came about due to the poaching going on in the National Parks.

Dakota369
04-22-2014, 09:53 AM
What does plugging horns mean???

Donkey Oatey
04-22-2014, 10:02 AM
What does plugging horns mean???

They drill a hole in the base of the horn and insert a "plug" showing it was properly registered.

buckbrushoutdoors
04-22-2014, 10:13 AM
They drill a hole in the base of the horn and insert a "plug" showing it was properly registered.

Doesn't go in the base of the horn. It ends up about half way through the curl on the back side So that the horns can be removed for taxidermy.

elkdump
04-22-2014, 10:25 AM
always plugged on the "left side horn", the ID/Inspection/Registration plug is permanent and irremovable and must be on all sheep harvested and/or inspected ,

USA,BC,Alberta,NWT,Yukon,Alaska are all part of the agreement to ID legally possessed sheep species

Sheepcrazyguy
04-22-2014, 10:35 AM
always plugged on the "left side horn", the ID/Inspection/Registration plug is permanent and irremovable and must be on all sheep harvested and/or inspected ,

USA,BC,Alberta,NWT,Yukon,Alaska are all part of the agreement to ID legally possessed sheep species

Its in the right horn 15 inches from the base on the outside of the curl

diamonddave
04-22-2014, 10:43 AM

Its in the third horn, 26 inches from the tip, on the inside....

lannie
04-22-2014, 11:29 AM
What do they do with Rams that were killed prior to the plugging?

Drake slayer
04-22-2014, 11:58 AM

This is true mines plugged on the right side

Roughneck Country
04-22-2014, 01:44 PM

"Always"?????? They asked me which horn I would like the plug to be put in.

cranker
04-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Make sure they clean the drill bit or use a new bit, F&W got stung with not cleaning bits, and an outfitter got off a charge because of possible dna transfer.

Roughneck Country
04-22-2014, 02:36 PM
Make sure they clean the drill bit or use a new bit, F&W got stung with not cleaning bits, and an outfitter got off a charge because of possible dna transfer.

What was the story on that? Did they say he tried to swap a plug out?

blackpowderrlw
04-22-2014, 06:58 PM
mine was the first one done at rocky in 1985.

Grizzly Adams
04-22-2014, 08:25 PM
mine was the first one done at rocky in 1985.

Could be wrong but I thought it went back to the seventies. Seen a couple of older rams that had plugs. DNA sample is taken now as well. Some rams were marked by branding in the National Parks to identify them and discourage poaching. Think that's what the one poster is referring to, which brings up the question, what if a branded ram leaves the park and gets shot?

Grizz

fordtruckin
04-22-2014, 09:02 PM
Could be wrong but I thought it went back to the seventies. Seen a couple of older rams that had plugs. DNA sample is taken now as well. Some rams were marked by branding in the National Parks to identify them and discourage poaching. Think that's what the one poster is referring to, which brings up the question, what if a branded ram leaves the park and gets shot?

Grizz

Don't you know? Park animals magically stop at the park boundary! They NEVER leave the confines of their governmentally protected home! The only way they get shot is by a poacher....Oh wait that's what the wolf people say in Yellowstone... My bad, Carry On!

medicmoose
04-23-2014, 11:01 AM
I think they would have to find a carcass inside a park mine or sanctuary. Then match the DNA to a set of horns. In order to make any charges

blackpowderrlw
04-23-2014, 11:16 AM
I know 2 people that took rams in to get them plugged that had been shot in the 60 s 70 s because at one time theft was common.

cranker
04-23-2014, 02:51 PM
They couldn't prove the dna matched because of possible dna transfer from a dirty drill bit.

Huntnut
04-23-2014, 03:53 PM
"Always"?????? They asked me which horn I would like the plug to be put in.

They asked me as well.

walking buffalo
04-23-2014, 04:26 PM
Compulsory Registration of legally hunted rams started in 1971.

All registered rams (hunted and found dead) were plugged starting in 1985.

Rams harvested previous to '85 can be brought in for plugging. Some have been, others have not.

Full Curl
04-23-2014, 05:49 PM
Compulsory Registration of legally hunted rams started in 1971.

All registered rams (hunted and found dead) were plugged starting in 1985.

Rams harvested previous to '85 can be brought in for plugging. Some have been, others have not.

Thanks! That's what I was looking for.