PDA

View Full Version : The highs and lows of buying a new gun

duffy4
10-26-2008, 11:23 AM
Went to the Auction in RedDeer yesterday. I had my eye on a Win. Model 100 semi-auto in .308. When it came time to bid I was amazed at the adrenaline rush I had in the short time it took to get from "What am I bid on this rifle" To "sold to the bidder on the isle!".
I got it for less than I expeted and less than I was willing to bid. (Not like the last time I payed way more than I really wanted too, for the last Win.100 I bought at the auction).

So I was quite pleased and excited about my new toy. I bought a few other items and tryed to get one of the many Leupold variable scopes for a real steal price, with no luck.

Then I stood waiting with a pile of other gun buyers for the paper work to get faxed back and forth from New Brunswick. I have bought guns at this auction before and it wasn't too awfully painful waiting for the paper shuffel. This time was bad. I finally went home without my new gun and will have to return to pick it up.

You would think they would get faster better service on something like this. I am hopeing the whole issue will just go away and be dropped then they will not have to make it more efficient.

Robin in Rocky

John Spartan
10-26-2008, 03:47 PM
Robin, I know the feeling from the other point of view - there was a nice model 55 in 30 WCF at the last auction which I wasn't able to attend, but went for $400 more than I was prepared to pay as I didn't consider it to be worth the $1600 it went for.

duffy4
10-27-2008, 08:54 PM
So I figured I'd take off work a bit early today and drive to RedDeer and pic up my rifle. I phoned to be sure it was all papered up and to be sure the auction would be open in the afternoon so I could get it.

No the %$##@$*&((^%$#%& down east had not cleared it or 160 other guns that sold on Saturday. I am generally fairly level headed and patient and don't usually get ^&&&*^%$#@@# mad at this kind of (*&)^&%%$# stuff. But I am just a little bit $#@%^$&&*&&^%$% ticked off right now.

Grizzly Adams
10-27-2008, 09:29 PM
You have to remember it's not the auctions fault it takes so long to do the paper work. It's those dimwits in Mirimachi:D I've been in a similar positon and you may just as well grin and bear it. Last time the auction staff had to hunt me down and ask me my mother's maiden name. Not even sure how that mattered to the transfer.
Grizz

denver
10-27-2008, 11:33 PM
In the spring auction I bought two shotguns, one I got that day, the other one took over a month. Turned out that the same brand and the same serial # were already registered to someone else, and it was a lot of screwing around. It kind of took the excitment out of getting a new gun, but at the same time, I was able to load a lot of black powder shotshells for it in the time being, as it is a damascus sxs. I stopped in everyday for a week before I just started calling them everyday.

Jason Balesdent
10-28-2008, 12:36 AM
Last October I bought my first handgun. Pecker heads in NB took until first week in december to stop F-ing around and clear my paperwork. So hang in there, hopefully Harper will get off his a@@ this time around and finally kill the damn registry.

duffy4
10-29-2008, 02:06 PM
You guys had me worried talking about waiting a month or months to get a gun through the "system" (and I use the term "system" with a degree of tounge in cheek).
I phoned yesterday afternoon and it was ready to go they said so I drove to RedDeer and got the rifle. Picked up a Pentax 1.5 to 6 variable to put on it and just have to hunt up a base.

Have a good one! (see how my mood has changed once I got my gun in my hands.

Robin in Rocky

fiducafe
10-29-2008, 08:23 PM
I have owned a M-100 and it's a great gun but it has one problem so beware!
They are prone to breaking firing pins in the heat of battle. 17 years and 9 pins tells me you should think about the gun, I gave mine away.

gitrdun
10-29-2008, 08:54 PM
So I figured I'd take off work a bit early today and drive to RedDeer and pic up my rifle. I phoned to be sure it was all papered up and to be sure the auction would be open in the afternoon so I could get it.

No the %$##@$*&((^%$#%& down east had not cleared it or 160 other guns that sold on Saturday. I am generally fairly level headed and patient and don't usually get ^&&&*^%$#@@# mad at this kind of (*&)^&%%$# stuff. But I am just a little bit $#@%^$&&*&&^%$% ticked off right now.

There's something wrong with your keyboard....just in case you didn't notice. :D

Glad it all worked out for ya'

Big Red 250
10-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Ialso owned one years ago, and never had a firing pin problem.