PDA

View Full Version : Is it legal to kill suckers?

Fisherguy
04-24-2014, 08:28 PM
Several times this past year I have seen dead suckers that people have thrown on the ice or the shore and I was wondering if there is any rules on this?

Flieguy
04-24-2014, 09:38 PM
since they're not game fish, it's legal. Even though they were in alberta before us, and before brookies, and before rainbows in most places.

Fisherguy
04-24-2014, 10:13 PM
Interesting, so they must not be considered edible fish.

Flieguy
04-24-2014, 10:17 PM

I've heard they're pretty good, just bony.

you can also throw away burbot, and they're hands down the tastiest fish in alberta!

Mackinaw
04-25-2014, 12:17 AM

Suckers are great not to big early in the spring.....smoked you can fillet but as mentioned they are bony and your not using big fish. Just gut them clean them leave heads on if you like salt brine and smoke away. Just like Kippers, damn I'm hungry now.

Mac

uncle buck
04-25-2014, 07:11 AM
I've heard they're pretty good, just bony.

you can also throw away burbot, and they're hands down the tastiest fish in alberta!

I don't think so about the burbot fly guy. Burbot are a game fish, suckers are not considered as such. It doesn't hurt my feelings to thin out some suckers either

the11fisherman
04-25-2014, 07:31 AM
I don't think so about the burbot fly guy. Burbot are a game fish, suckers are not considered as such. It doesn't hurt my feelings to thin out some suckers either

I didn't know that you were able to waste burbot meat until I looked at the regs closer this year. Where it talks about how you are not able to waste the meat of sport fish it says in brackets something to the effect of (This does not apply to burbot though). Not that in a 100 years I would ever throw away a burbot. They are too good of eating.