PDA

View Full Version : Trapping leechs

bcacoutdoors
04-25-2014, 11:26 AM
Anyone have any experience trappin leechs? When is the best time to start setting traps? What works best dugouts, beaver ponds or lakes? Thanks

WayneChristie
04-25-2014, 12:39 PM
best time is working hours. hang a hundred dollar bill just out of reach in an empty room at the courthouse and when its full of lawyers slam and lock the door!

Hunter Trav
04-25-2014, 01:03 PM
I trapped a bunch last year, only way to know where to trap is to put some out and see what you get. If you know of a water body that has some that's a good place to start. As far as when you start, you can start as soon as the ice is off enough to get around the shoreline but you may not start seeing any until the water temps start to increase. Traps are simple to make, aluminum pie plate folded in half with a chunk of beef liver tossed inside, hold it together with a rubber band or something to that effect. Put it on the bottom along a weed line, and wait. Tie some sort of float to it it so you can find it again. I set mine in the evening, and would come back and check them around first light in the morning. If you leave them to long the leeches will leave the trap and go hide back in the mud. Hope that helps...

YeeHaw
04-26-2014, 05:45 PM
best time is working hours. hang a hundred dollar bill just out of reach in an empty room at the courthouse and when its full of lawyers slam and lock the door!

:sHa_sarcasticlol: I have had great luck catching them in the lakes around Edmonton using a dead sucker on a rope, tossed under a dock in 2-5 fow. Mud bottom.

SCHOOCH
04-26-2014, 06:46 PM
I was thinking about trapping them with the kids for something to do......just not sure where in Calgary would be a good place to start.....suggestions?

And WC i know where you told me to look......your nasty!!!!!!!!

oilngas
04-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Schooch; I don't think that's legal and the Children's Mom n such may have an issue.

I mean how would you get them to be still long enuff for a bunch of leaches to become attached, and then think of the katterwallin when you pulled first the kids and then the leaches off of the kids.

I would not do it!!!!

WayneChristie
04-27-2014, 07:39 AM
Schooch; I don't think that's legal and the Children's Mom n such may have an issue.

I mean how would you get them to be still long enuff for a bunch of leaches to become attached, and then think of the katterwallin when you pulled first the kids and then the leaches off of the kids.

I would not do it!!!!

his daughter would sit there and watch them stick on, just for fun!:sHa_sarcasticlol:

winmag
04-27-2014, 08:59 AM
best for lots and big leeches are dugouts the older the better [ leeches get stocked by water fowl] , sloughs are too alkaline, we still use old steel tobacco cans[ 25 years old] with binder twine to retrieve them . Aluminum flashing folded in half with 3 close pegs[ add small rock for weight] works about the best kinda like a store bought trap if you can find one , we chunk up all our blood shot meat from our wild game for bait plus the liver , heart and kidneys work good to, , shaded spots around the dugout are best .A good spot ,8 cans and a 3 hour soak will net a 100 leeches easily for us , we use a old insulated {hard to find] cool aid cooler and minnow net in boat to keep leeches and change water every 4 hours ... have fun :)

SCHOOCH
04-27-2014, 09:25 AM
Hey Wayne can i put my traps in your bath tub.......probably the best place in Alberta to find them......:fighting0074:

Freedom55
04-27-2014, 11:07 AM
A guy I met at a tournament told me his best spots were in watering holes that had regular visits from the cattle. He also made me change my mind about the pie plate traps so I made something that would let water out without losing any of the prey. Putting out a couple this week (when this rain quits) to see if they work. I have five new spots picked out so the early bird might get the (jumbo) leech.

338ultra
04-27-2014, 05:57 PM
Trapped them for years, eaisest way to get them is with a burlap sack with pork liver and a couple baseball sized rocks. Put the liver and rocks in the sack, tie it off at the top, attach 50 feet of rope to the top. Throw it as far as you can into the water, let it sit most off the night. I always tried to pull them in before daylight( twice as many if you wait til the sun is up) put it in a 5 gallon pail and rinse with clean but not city water and bingo 1000 leeches. Never did get any jumbos, most were med to large size.

cnjb223
04-28-2014, 05:27 PM
Just find a good spot like mine

so many leeches! (http://youtu.be/CbB959YVHY0)

Teamprotz
04-28-2014, 06:20 PM
Tadpoles !