PDA

View Full Version : Rock deflector/ protector

GOT1!
04-25-2014, 11:32 AM
Just bought me a shiny new craft, and don't wanna pepper the crap outta it towing it around. Does anyone have good advice for a good product to protect from rocks and road debris? I think I'm leaning towards the ultraguard by Smart Solutions. It seems to look like a good product, that seems decently priced. About $140ish

http://www.smartsolrv.com/ultraguard.html

Anyone used this particular item??, or happen to have something similar for sale?? I have also seen the kind that actually mounts to the boat trailer with some sort of webbing protecting most of the bow also. They seem a touch expensive for my liking. $500+ Is this a WAY BETTER way to go and worth the extra cash ?? Any info would help thanks

The Fisherman Guy
04-25-2014, 11:43 AM
I have owned a similar product called Rock Tamers.

Not worth it in my opinion. If you want to protect your boat, go with a Trailer Tux or Rock Gard (yes, that is how it is spelled) style product.

The problem with fancy mud flaps:

-Doesn't protect from bouncing rocks that get underneath or around the flaps.
-On uneven ground, like towing over humps or up hills, the flaps touch the ground and kick up rocks.
-Oncoming traffic kick up rocks and your boat is unprotected.

I went with Rock Tamers because they were much more cost effective than a Trailer Tux. In the end, I still have gravel rash so the fancy flaps were a waste of money in my opinion.

Did the rock tamers protect my boat? Yes, to some degree.

Did the rock tamers protect my boat from ALL gravel rash. NO.

Check out other threads on the same subject:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=16010

Lund rebel
04-25-2014, 12:19 PM
Picked up the rock guard, last night just put it on wish I would have gotten it when it was new

Walleyefanatic
04-25-2014, 05:06 PM
Trailer tux all the way a little more pricey but we'll worth the money great product and bob is a great guy to deal with.

67ZL1
04-25-2014, 05:22 PM
Trailer tux all the way a little more pricey but we'll worth the money great product and bob is a great guy to deal with.

X2! I got a Trailer Tux last year with the new rig and will never own another boat without it.

walleyeca
04-28-2014, 01:32 PM
For price wise ($1050), Id take a look at the "HULL DEFENDER" (same set up as boat tux!) these are built and built tough, he even throws in a spare tire zipper section and covers 3/4 of the front of the boat and it comes with a solid 1 year warranty, this dude has been building stuff for my tournament boats for years and he is a stand up character! pm me for details

walleyeca
04-28-2014, 01:33 PM
Ill post some pics here real soon! My new boat is getting one put on as we speak!

Walleyedude
04-28-2014, 01:56 PM
For price wise ($1050), Id take a look at the "HULL DEFENDER" (same set up as boat tux!) these are built and built tough, he even throws in a spare tire zipper section and covers 3/4 of the front of the boat and it comes with a solid 1 year warranty, this dude has been building stuff for my tournament boats for years and he is a stand up character! pm me for details

Those look decent for sure.

Depending on the size of your boat, for pretty close to the same price, I'd just go with the Trailer Tux, they are the best. They cover the entire bow of your boat and your trailer fenders, which is huge if you're running painted or fibreglass fenders. You never have to worry about warranty either, Bob will always stand behind them and his customer service is second to none.

www.trailertux.com

As for the mud flap systems, they certainly don't hurt (as long as they aren't too long!) and I run one as a back up, but I'd never rely on the mud flap system alone to protect my boat. In my experience they just are not effective enough on their own.

newguy
04-28-2014, 05:00 PM
or......

i bought some heavy industrial mud flaps from princess auto. cut them a little wider than my mudflaps and long enough that they almst drag mon the ground. drilled them and anchored with a few bolts to my factory flaps. looks ok, works amazing!! cost me $50.

wssmwhistler
04-28-2014, 08:40 PM
or......

i bought some heavy industrial mud flaps from princess auto. cut them a little wider than my mudflaps and long enough that they almst drag mon the ground. drilled them and anchored with a few bolts to my factory flaps. looks ok, works amazing!! cost me $50.

Do not do the mud flap thing I cheaped out last year and well paid for it money wise and 5 days of my time. I had whisker flaps on my trailer toung and rock yammers with driving slow on gravel and it dint do squat. Go with rock guard or trailer tux they mak them for a reason. Here a pic after sanding filling and custom paint job

newguy
04-28-2014, 09:02 PM
Let's see, I brought back my snowmobile from colville,wa and a new boat from kelowna in the middle of February with my el cheapo mudflats. That's over 2500km with zero problems. Best thing about my el cheapo flaps, 3 bolts each side and they are off. I could care less about the 3 small holes in each flap.

It's just another option for those who maybe don't want to spend the big money.

Walleyedude
04-28-2014, 09:08 PM
or......

Absolutely nothing wrong with this idea. My "towtector" is a home made job using heavy duty mud flaps too. My only advice is to be VERY careful you don't make the flaps too long. A flap that hits the ground when the suspension is moving is worse than no flap at all. It will kick up all kinds of rocks and sand.

Dr.D
04-28-2014, 09:14 PM
had this built in Lethbridge and love it - this is my second year with it and I just got back from a tourney on fort peck with 50 miles of gravel every day for four days and zero chips
http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i406/DrD9/IMG_1725_zpse4ba73e9.jpg (http://s1092.photobucket.com/user/DrD9/media/IMG_1725_zpse4ba73e9.jpg.html)

Walleye1114
04-28-2014, 09:28 PM
Had a pro v and put a trailer tuxs on it, only lived about half hour from bob, great product, have new boat here in Alberta and am looking at montana rock guard, from towndsend marine, anybody tried these good price

GrillBoss
04-29-2014, 10:04 AM
I use the Rock Gard, works well for me.

Walleyefanatic
04-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Rockgard works well but will rub the paint off your trailer because of the way it straps to it but it would be fine if you have a galvanized trailer.