PDA

View Full Version : Fiesta Winkterkilled

Don Andersen
04-25-2014, 05:58 PM
Folks,

Got a note from ESRD that Fiesta Lake suffered a partial or complete winterkill due to low oxygen levels.

It should be noted that there are two variables in working out aeration of lakes.

The 02 level should be high enough to support fish and the temperature of the lake must not fall to freezing.

Ironside nearly froze to death the first year of aeration due to the selection of too large an aeration unit. The 02 levels were high but the temperature of the lake fell to 0.5C.

I`ve no idea what the levels of 02 or the temperature might have been or how often they were monitored.

If you wish to pursue the matter, please contact Kevin Fitzsimmons of the Alberta Conservation Association.

regards,

Don

michaelmicallef
04-26-2014, 05:24 PM
That sucks. I like that lake it took some of the pressure off Beaver and there was some dam nice fish in that lake. Thanks for the update Don.

BobbyBrowntrout
04-27-2014, 12:19 PM
boooo :(

Don Andersen
05-08-2014, 10:33 PM
Ran into several ACA guys yesterday and asked them about Fiesta. They monitor it every month checking for 02 and water temperature. The water temperature dropped to 0.5C with the 02 levels low as well. They chose, as I would have, to shut off the aeration unit rather than freezing the lake. That would kill the invertebrates leading to lousing fishing for some time.

The only solution for Fiesta is a different style of aeration unit that will not remove the water temperature. There are at least 2 more options:

1] Compression units add temperature but cost more to purchase and maintain

2] Bottled 02 addition through bubblers - BC has apparently used this style with success.

Adding a larger aeration unit will add more 02 but ramp down the temperature faster.

Here is the problem - we have just had the ugliest winter in the past number of years. Do you modify the system for the chance these winters will happen again?

If it was your money, how would you spend it?

regards,

Don

pipco
05-09-2014, 07:57 AM
Don,

If it was my money to spend I'd keep current aeration system and put the cash into larger fish stocked this go around and maybe some money into putting a few browns in there as well.

Too bad it's toast this year. It's not a big body of water but had some of the prettiest colored fish.