PDA

View Full Version : Savage 111 fcxp3 Trigger Work

Erndest
10-26-2008, 08:32 PM
Hello everyone,

I own a savage 111 package rifle in 30-06. I've heard a lot of complaints about this rifle's heavy trigger pull. Please note that this particular rifle does not come with the "accu-trigger".

There is something you can do to significantly lighten the pull, and I did this before going off to this year's moose hunt. If you don't feel comfortable with this, please take it to a gunsmith and have him lighten the trigger for you. Otherwise, here's what I did:

Take the barrel and receiver out of the stock. On the right side of the trigger you'll see a tiny bar that extends from behind to just forward of the trigger, and ends at a small screw. With the firing pin in the fired position, turn this screw CCW to lighten the pull. I turned mine 5 half turns. Once again, if there's anything that you're worried about, just take the gun to a gunsmith just to be perfectly safe.

Happy and safe hunting.
e

Mulestalker
10-27-2008, 08:38 AM
Be very carefull,these triggers are not designed for light trigger pulls, no matter how it is done and will result in slam firing,I've seen it and I've done it...get a aftermarket replacement trigger.

Donny Bear
10-27-2008, 09:08 AM
Be very carefull,these triggers are not designed for light trigger pulls, no matter how it is done and will result in slam firing,I've seen it and I've done it...get a aftermarket replacement trigger.

Very true words!!! Order the Accu Trigger or put in another after market I recommend the AT

Huntnut
10-27-2008, 09:51 AM

X2

I put a Timiney on mine.

Accubond
10-27-2008, 12:25 PM
A gunsmith at Russell's did my trigger and it works fine. Not a bench rest trigger pull by any means, but better than stock. At least a 100 rounds of 180gr .30-06 since job and no problems. But I would not tinker with it on my own. The 'smith said it was a real pain to work on, take apart, adjust, re-assemble, test and repeat, and repeat etc. Cabela's sells a nice Rifle Basix trigger for the Savage. (not sure if it is a restricted item for shipping to Canada)

sbtennex
10-27-2008, 12:29 PM
Timney or a bit cheaper, a Rifle Basix - nice thing about the RB is they answer the phone when you call and ship to Canada real quick. Easy to install, but read the instructions very carefully. Invest in a small bottle of medium set LokTite (think it's #242) and use it AFTER you get everything set right. Both triggers are very superior to the AccuTrigger, IMO.

Erndest
11-05-2008, 07:34 PM
Please only follow these if you are confident in your work. Otherwise, see your gunsmith. I think it's a good thing for a hunter to look after his equipment himself, but of course safety comes first.

Fairly detailed:
http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage/

Less involved:
http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/savage110trigger.html

cheers,
e

Dick284
11-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Get the Rifle basix trigger, cost effective, and excellent product.
Good luck

thundergrey
08-12-2011, 08:08 PM
Just did this and wow was it easy to do... Spoke with a Savage sales rep at Bass Pro and he said as long as you dont try to go too light you can adjust this (otherwise savage would have made it fixed). Keep it around 3lbs and it is perfectly safe. If you want less pull then get an aftermarket. 3lbs is good enough for me.

kayaker
08-13-2011, 05:50 PM
I did my own .041 spring replacement (factory is .060). It is still safe but didnt help too much so i replaced the trigger in the end.