PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Headaches and Solutions

Woody77
04-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Since its a pretty slow time right now i just thought i would start a thread looking for some solutions or tips for some problems relating to fishing that people have been having.

Personally, I have been thinking if there was a better way to bend barbs than i have been doing since i have broken afew hooks in the process trying to get the barbs flush. Any advice on technique would be appreciated.

I usually just go sideways to the hook and bend and twist, seems to get it down the best but i sometimes snap the hook and i think that there could be a better way.

Woody

bobalong
04-26-2014, 10:14 PM
Small needle nose pliers, with no grooves in the jaws. Just one "squeeze" straight down usually does it. On bigger hooks like on crankbaits, I use a dremel tool.

Woody77
04-26-2014, 10:59 PM
Ya small barbs are pretty easy but is there any other way to get rid of the tougher ones other than reefing on the pliers and risking a break or the dremel and risking weakening the hook?

fish gunner
04-27-2014, 12:44 AM
Buy / order actual barbless hooks presto. No issue. With a little research micro barbs can be found also next to no effort to pinchand reduced chance of weakening hook. Most of my winter pike rigs are fully barbless.

The Reel Deal
04-27-2014, 06:45 AM
Dremel.

If you do t want to buy a dremel you can just buy the bits and put them in a drill. Princess auto carries a multi pack of stone bits for a few bucks.

huntsfurfish
04-27-2014, 08:40 AM
Try here:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=91851&highlight=pliers

Best pliers I have found so far.