PDA

View Full Version : G3 Jon Boat with Jet

albertahunter
04-27-2014, 10:19 PM
I'm thinking of trading in my deep V tracker for a G3 jon boat with a jet outboard for lake fishing and river hunting in the fall.

Anybody have any experiences with the G3 jons on the river and on lakes? Too much compromise?

WayneChristie
04-28-2014, 07:40 AM
jets arent awesome with waves, unless you were to pick up a jet and a prop leg so you could switch over. not much freeboard on a jon either, I wouldnt take mine on a lake with any decent waves and its pretty much the same setup. but maybe others are braver than me

The Fisherman Guy
04-28-2014, 10:31 AM
I have had my 1436 Jon tiller in 3ft waves with two people in it. It's exciting!

Definitely not the best lake boat. Small jon boats are better in flowing water, 16-18 foot jon boats do alright on lakes, but they get pushed around by the wind just like a smaller jon.

Keep in mind, the transom height and maximum HP for the hull. Most smaller jons will need work to make a jet outboard fit properly as the transoms are short. You may want to consider pods for your jon to assist in holding the stern up with a heavy jet outboard on the back.

ROA
05-01-2014, 08:04 AM
Those G3's have thin bottoms. If you are going up rivers with rocks you might be pounding the crap out of the bottom.