PDA

View Full Version : 5th wheel electrical problem??

BEL
04-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Getting my fiver ready for the season. Discovered the microwave and wall outlets do not work. Fuses and breakers are all good, although I replaced one fuse for a row of lights which blew when I was replacing a bulb.
Something to keep in mind if you are trying to figure this out for me: when I was hooking up the 2-12volt batteries I failed to notice a positive (red) wire not connected to the second battery. Awkward position and not in the same compartment. I had the other red wires connected. When I connected the black, the red wire, because it was touching metal, sparked and smoked. Everything else works. I tried to reset the GFI switch but nothing changed. What do you think? BEL

wack99
04-28-2014, 09:48 PM
Is it pluged in as the microwave and receptacles will only work when the trailer is on mains power unless you have an inverter.

Jason

BEL
04-28-2014, 11:43 PM
Yep, she is plugged in. BEL

benamen
04-29-2014, 04:51 AM
You mention you TRIED to reset the GFI, but did not say if it reset or not. Any power to the GFI itself? Sometimes GFIs are wired to protect outlets downstream of them. The microwave and outlets which are not working maybe wired into the same circuit as the GFI.
We rented a 5th wheel to stay in while we hunted last fall. Notice some of the outlets did not work and it turned out to be the GFI was tripped.

JB_AOL
04-29-2014, 06:38 AM
Try resetting the breakers. As in flip them off, and then flip then back on. Sometimes that works.

Is your convertor getting power?

Dacotensis
04-29-2014, 07:39 AM
In line fuse somewhere.
I would be chasing the wires back and forth looking for it.
Good luck. Electrical is fun!! :)

AbAngler
04-29-2014, 07:46 AM
You mention you TRIED to reset the GFI, but did not say if it reset or not. Any power to the GFI itself? Sometimes GFIs are wired to protect outlets downstream of them. The microwave and outlets which are not working maybe wired into the same circuit as the GFI.
We rented a 5th wheel to stay in while we hunted last fall. Notice some of the outlets did not work and it turned out to be the GFI was tripped.

I'm betting GFI. Had a similar problem in a 5th wheel where everything downstream of a GFI wouldn't work. Replaced it and all was good.

BEL
04-29-2014, 08:46 AM
Tried to reset the gfi several times. Worked the breakers several times to ensure they moved properly. Did not plug into the gfi, therefore, will try that next. Was hoping I would not have to try following wires, lol. Not sure about the converter. Will try these things this AM before work. Thanks guys. BEL

Sledhead71
04-29-2014, 08:57 AM
Sounds like the converter crapped the bed, I personally would start there before chasing wiring...

Best of luck, electrical goblins are the pits...

dgl1948
04-29-2014, 10:31 AM
I'm betting GFI. Had a similar problem in a 5th wheel where everything downstream of a GFI wouldn't work. Replaced it and all was good.

You may have to change the GFI receptacle, not just reset. As others have indicated this is probably your problem.

gmcmax05
04-29-2014, 12:00 PM
Sounds like the converter crapped the bed, I personally would start there before chasing wiring...

Best of luck, electrical goblins are the pits...

X2, there are no inline fuses on the 110 side.

beerhunter
04-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Like others have said. Your converter is probably shot. But replacing the GFI may be the culprit. All plugs in a trailer are usually tied to the GFI, if its no good none of the other will work.

I still think if I was to bet its the converter.

benamen
04-29-2014, 01:55 PM
Tried to reset the gfi several times. Worked the breakers several times to ensure they moved properly. Did not plug into the gfi, therefore, will try that next. Was hoping I would not have to try following wires, lol. Not sure about the converter. Will try these things this AM before work. Thanks guys. BEL

So if the GFI did not reset, then there is either a problem with the GFI or a short somewhere causing the GFI to trip immediately.
The inverter should not be suspect as you are plugged into 120 VAC and the inverter should not be supplying power to the receptacles when plugged in.
So have you owned this 5th wheel for a while and this problem just pop up or is the unit new to you.

JB_AOL
04-29-2014, 02:00 PM
So if the GFI did not reset, then there is either a problem with the GFI or a short somewhere causing the GFI to trip immediately.
The inverter should not be suspect as you are plugged into 120 VAC and the inverter should not be supplying power to the receptacles when plugged in.
So have you owned this 5th wheel for a while and this problem just pop up or is the unit new to you.

This... Although the breakers may be part of the invertor (physically).

beerhunter
04-29-2014, 02:44 PM
Converter and Invertor. Two different items.

The electrical system in the trailer is 12V. The converter converts the 120V power coming into the trailer to 12V to provide power to the lights etc and it also runs through the converter to send power to the outlets. If the converter is cooked then it does affect the outlets. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that is my understanding of how the converter works in a trailer.

gmcmax05
04-29-2014, 05:45 PM

Not understanding what your saying, the only way you have power for the microwave, A/C, etc is when plugged into 120V so the inverter is supplying the power. None of the 120 stuff works unless your plugged in

YAFORDDIESEL
04-29-2014, 06:00 PM
Hi

I went thur this experience awhile ago. Found the trailer had a second gfi feeding half of the camper. found after taking three or four 110 plugs aparts to trouble shoot. okanagan brand camper.

220swifty
04-29-2014, 07:20 PM
I believe ours also has 2 GFI plugs. One by the bathroom sink and the other is the exterior plug.

BEL
04-29-2014, 08:32 PM
GFI it was. I replaced it and everything was fine. Thank god it was not the converter. I would never have thought a faulty GFI if it wasn't for you guys. Thanks very much. BEL

JB_AOL
04-30-2014, 07:37 AM
Converter and Invertor. Two different items.

The electrical system in the trailer is 12V. The converter converts the 120V power coming into the trailer to 12V to provide power to the lights etc and it also runs through the converter to send power to the outlets. If the converter is cooked then it does affect the outlets. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but that is my understanding of how the converter works in a trailer.

No. There is essentially Two electrical systems in a trailer (well, technically three). A 12V(coach), 12V Automotive, & a 120 V.

The 12V side covers things like fridge, lights, furnace, pump, slides and anything you can run without being plugged into 120v power. All power from batteries goes through the converter, to supply the aforementioned parts. There shouldn't be any power to the plugs when you are on strictly 12V. If there is, that means you have an inverter also.

The 120V side (when plugged in), supplies power to the plugs/a/c/ elec water heater/microwave/etc, and also to the converter. which then supplies power to all the 12V stuff.

I think the confusion is that all the breakers are on the converter (120V & 12V). The power for the 120V side doesn't actually go through the converter (why would it? it's already the right voltage), just through the breaker/fuse which is physically part of the converter.

http://www.hrvc.com/console/files/Understanding%20Your%20RVs%20110v%20Electrical%20S ystem.pdf

And yes a converter is different than an inverter. Converter 120V to 12V, Inverter 12V to 120V. All RV's have converters, some may have inverters as well.

The 12V automotive side (brakes/tail lights/signals/etc.) is completely independant from the other systems, unless you've hooked up the power wire in your 7 pin trailer plug (majority are), which also provides power to the converter.

AbAngler
04-30-2014, 08:21 AM
GFI it was. I replaced it and everything was fine. Thank god it was not the converter. I would never have thought a faulty GFI if it wasn't for you guys. Thanks very much. BEL

Glad it worked out for you. When mine went, it took me and a friend almost all day to figure it out.

BEL
04-30-2014, 08:38 AM
JB, thanks for the good read. AB, now you know what I was looking at. I was going into the trailer when I had free time--just to sit and think about what the hell was wrong. BEL

AbAngler
04-30-2014, 09:44 AM
JB, thanks for the good read. AB, now you know what I was looking at. I was going into the trailer when I had free time--just to sit and think about what the hell was wrong. BEL

Yup. Sitting there with an ohm meter, scratching your head. :angry3:

My system as a whole, still isn't completely finished. I run a 6v battery bank with an inverter, solar charged. Somehow when I wired it all in (with help), I bypassed the charger. Won't charge with from the generator, only solar, or external charger.

I have new panels to install this spring, so hopefully get it all worked out at the same time.

I am also an expert at wiring/installing computer boards for RV furnaces....