PDA

View Full Version : Glenmore Reservoir on Sunday

Crackmacs
04-29-2014, 10:56 PM
Hey pizzanos,

been putting feelers out on social media today; sounds like the ice is really opening up on spots. The sun from today and tomorrow should really make a dent. Fishing opens Thursday! I've got 10x printed and signed licenses ready to go (always seem to lose them). Been waiting all damn winter. Not sure what to expect, but hoping I can find some nice areas with good cast range.

Would love to catch my first perch, or a nice big rainbow.

Once the ice totally melts, will certainly be heading on over to rent canoes and troll the lake. Love that area.

Icatchfish
04-29-2014, 11:01 PM
it will be snowing, but i might head out there too regardless

Flieguy
04-30-2014, 07:12 AM
I only fished there once, about 10 years ago. What's an average day there like?

SCHOOCH
04-30-2014, 08:10 AM
Average day is a toss up.....spring you can catch some beauty browns for sure, lots of pike (mainly smaller side) and ive never seen a perch come out of there but have heard others have caught them so not sure on those because ive never targeted them. I love it there just because i live across the street :sHa_shakeshout:

TROLLER
04-30-2014, 10:51 AM
Can you launch your own boat if it runs on an electric and if so where would you put in at?

Tigger72
04-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Can you launch your own boat if it runs on an electric and if so where would you put in at?

I have launched my canoe at the rowing club, from all the regs that I read on the glenmore res. you can not have any kind of motor there electric or not and if you do they will come screaming up to you in there big smoke blowing poorly running outboard and tell you so....also watch out for the rich "I own this lake " rowing club people even if your not in the rowing lanes they will tell you to get out of the way and watch where you are going ( as they row up to you with their back facing you.....) I have only targeted pike there and was quite successful no matter where I went on the lake....

Crackmacs
04-30-2014, 11:10 AM
Here's a picture someone on reddit shared with me this morning:

http://i.imgur.com/KJN36vx.jpg

Open water around the shore :)

I fished it only once last year, caught a medium sized pike. Saw others with big trout though.

ak-71
04-30-2014, 11:37 AM
Average day is a toss up.....spring you can catch some beauty browns for sure, lots of pike (mainly smaller side) and ive never seen a perch come out of there but have heard others have caught them so not sure on those because ive never targeted them. I love it there just because i live across the street :sHa_shakeshout:

There is perch, but only saw smaller ones

Kokanee9
04-30-2014, 03:48 PM
Fish creek is the place to go for the next couple weeks.

Saw some guy catching them left and right while biking on the path.

:)

Flieguy
04-30-2014, 08:15 PM
is fish creek not closed?

Kokanee9
04-30-2014, 09:44 PM
Wasn't there to fish, just biking around.

Had a quick look through the regs and couldn't find it. Fish Cr. is pictured in the special portion map for the Bow, but it doesn't mention anything about tribs. in that portion of the bow.

If anyone could help find it, would probably be a good thing.

Cory1
04-30-2014, 11:11 PM
Was down by glenmore this evening, lake is mostly ice free with a few areas with some ice left. Entire lake should have enough separation to cast from almost any point.

Mosquitoes were bad, so bring the bug spray.

Never fished it but might give it a try this year,
Cory

dopemop
05-01-2014, 01:25 AM
I may be there. I would love to take the Inflatable out without boat wakes every few mins.

Flieguy
05-01-2014, 07:22 AM
Wasn't there to fish, just biking around.

Had a quick look through the regs and couldn't find it. Fish Cr. is pictured in the special portion map for the Bow, but it doesn't mention anything about tribs. in that portion of the bow.

If anyone could help find it, would probably be a good thing.

scoured the regs, Fish Creek is not listed under it's name, nor as a tributary of the bow. Therefore "Nov 1 to June 15-CLOSED"

catchandeat
05-01-2014, 09:31 AM
I may be there. I would love to take the Inflatable out without boat wakes every few mins.

Just a heads up, you might want to read the glenmore reservoir bylaws. Inflatables are unfortunately not allowed on the lake, neither are motors of any kind. :(

jeprli
05-01-2014, 02:44 PM
Anything caught yet? Anyone been out?

Icatchfish
05-01-2014, 04:35 PM
Just a shoe

jeprli
05-01-2014, 09:37 PM
Left or right?

Crackmacs
05-02-2014, 11:38 AM
Left or right?

Here's hoping it's left.

I'm heading out there tomorrow still, even in this weather (rainy, cold). Bought a big thermos to bring a pot of coffee. Excited to try my Mystery Tackle Box lures on the pike :)

- Question,

What would be good for trying for Perch? (if there's actually any in there)

Thanks!

jeprli
05-02-2014, 01:20 PM
Slip bobber and worms. Where to find them I honestly don't know at this time of year. Marina on 90th would be a good start.

AdverseCity
05-02-2014, 01:43 PM
I fished there yesterday for the first time, the water's low but perfect weather for opening day. I didn't realize bait was allowed and only brought lures, didn't get a single bite. I threw many different colored spinners, spoons, rapalas, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits, topwater frog and mouse. Started by the big H at Heritage for 2 hours and moved to the launch area. Watched a guy lose what looked like a pike right at shore and someone with two little boys showed up at the spot I left. Best part of the day was watching and hearing the little guys reel in fish from across the bay, they out fished everyone else from what I saw.

SCHOOCH
05-02-2014, 02:02 PM
Heading there very soon.....how was the water clarity?

AdverseCity
05-02-2014, 02:29 PM
It was murky by the shore at the big H and I got mud on my rapalas most casts, it was pretty shallow. It was deeper and a rocky bottom by the launch, clarity wasn't perfect but pretty decent.

WayneChristie
05-02-2014, 03:06 PM
I hear goldfish are the go to bait this time of the year

AdverseCity
05-02-2014, 03:23 PM
I hear goldfish are the go to bait this time of the year

Especially while trolling.....

Icatchfish
05-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Especially while trolling.....

true true

I'll be heading out there tomorrow I think. rain or shine. I fished in -40 weather this year. little bit of rain is not gonna melt me. wait for pics

SCHOOCH
05-02-2014, 07:30 PM
Got out for a couple hours.....water was quite murky....hooked into one nice brown got it close to shore and then the pig turned quick and snapped the diving tongue completely off my lure, can't complain, that particular lure has seen its fair share of fish. Guys i walked by were fishing smelts with pickeral rigs hadn't hooked into anything.

BowBoy75
05-02-2014, 10:36 PM
Just a heads up, I think they changed the regs this year. Bait fish no longer allowed.

Glenmore Reservoir
May 1 to Oct. 31 – Trout limit 5; Mountain Whitefish limit 5 over 30
cm; Pike limit 3 (no size limit); Perch limit 15; Bait fish not allowed.
Nov. 1 to Apr. 30 – CLOSED

SCHOOCH
05-02-2014, 10:43 PM
Bait Fish means any of the following:

suckers (family Catostomidae)
sticklebacks (family Gasterosteidae)
trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus)
Iowa darter (Etheostoma exile)
minnows (family Cyprinidae), except carp, goldfish and the western silvery minnow.

Note: Pet store fish (tropical fish) or crayfish cannot be used as bait fish.

Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body.
NOTE: Smelts and herring are of the saltwater families Osmeridae and Clupeidae. Use of the freshwater species cisco (Coregonidae), also called tullibee or lake herring, is prohibited from use as bait.

I don't think bait fish have ever been allowed in Glenmore since i started fishing it.......smelts are not considered bait fish.

walking buffalo
05-03-2014, 01:32 PM
Here's hoping it's left.

I'm heading out there tomorrow still, even in this weather (rainy, cold). Bought a big thermos to bring a pot of coffee. Excited to try my Mystery Tackle Box lures on the pike :)

- Question,

What would be good for trying for Perch? (if there's actually any in there)

Thanks!

I suggest that people check out Glenmore on google earth, use the historical imagery feature to see the features of the lake. At this time of year many of the pike will go upriver a bit to spawn, and the trout are often near the river channels.

I used to catch a lot of big perch here back in the 80's. I'm sure they are still around. Spring is spawning time, so fish for perch where the spawning habitat is and where the water warms up quicker. The East bay, in particular the south side as it is less influenced by the current flow. Reaching the fish from shore can be tough, but one might have success for spawning perch just around the corner from the Yacht club.

Or maybe I'm just getting the crowds out of my spot. :confused0024:

SCHOOCH
05-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Or maybe I'm just getting the crowds out of my spot.

I'm not sure if you are or not but your doing me a big favor....LOL:happy0180:

BowBoy75
05-04-2014, 01:06 AM
Bait Fish means any of the following:

suckers (family Catostomidae)
sticklebacks (family Gasterosteidae)
trout-perch (Percopsis omiscomaycus)
Iowa darter (Etheostoma exile)
minnows (family Cyprinidae), except carp, goldfish and the western silvery minnow.

Note: Pet store fish (tropical fish) or crayfish cannot be used as bait fish.

Bait Fish may be used in waters that do not have bait bans or bait fish restrictions. Where fishing with bait fish is prohibited, other baits including smelts, herring, gammarus shrimp and dead fish eggs (e.g., preserved “salmon eggs”) may be used, provided a bait ban is not in effect for that water body.
NOTE: Smelts and herring are of the saltwater families Osmeridae and Clupeidae. Use of the freshwater species cisco (Coregonidae), also called tullibee or lake herring, is prohibited from use as bait.

I don't think bait fish have ever been allowed in Glenmore since i started fishing it.......smelts are not considered bait fish.

I think I remember hearing that before now that read your post. It's been so long since I've fished there though, never had the need to look into it. Thanks for clearing things up Schooch.

Crackmacs
05-04-2014, 07:16 PM
Went out today for a couple hours

Before

http://i.imgur.com/mvwJzYd.jpg

After

http://i.imgur.com/cMymk33.jpg

SCHOOCH
05-04-2014, 08:24 PM
Nice

Cory1
05-04-2014, 09:48 PM
Was out today at Glenmore, first time trying it out,

Started on the north side from about 8:15-11:30, just walking the shoreline for spots I thought would hold fish, no luck there.

Went for a coffee and fished the south side from 12:00 to 2:30 and not a bite there either.

Saw quite a few people out, most I talked to had the same sort of luck I did.

Was trying bucktails, spoons, rapalas, spinners, and soft baits in an array of colors and patterns and couldn't entice a hit... Maybe next time!
Was a nice day to get some casting in none the less.

Cory

mrmoose
05-05-2014, 08:48 PM
I had the same luck Sunday evening. Tried the south side. Worked my way west from the yacht club. Tried a rig with worms no luck. Switched to a floating rappala that kills pike usually no luck. Worst part lost the pike lure on some old line out in the water on my last cast. It was the third time that I snagged old line last night. The first two I managed to pull into shore. It was still nice to get some casts in.

Cory1
05-05-2014, 08:50 PM
I had the same luck Sunday evening. Tried the south side. Worked my way west from the yacht club. Tried a rig with worms no luck. Switched to a floating rappala that kills pike usually no luck. Worst part lost the pike lure on some old line out in the water on my last cast. It was the third time that I snagged old line last night. The first two I managed to pull into shore. It was still nice to get some casts in.

Agree with you on the line, was a ton just littered in the rocks with the water level still being down, picked up close to a dozen bird nests of mono while walking th shoreline.

Cory

SCHOOCH
05-05-2014, 09:54 PM
It amazes me how many times ive pulled in 40-50 lb mono lines out of that water in 1 particular place that has lure after lure attached to 20 other crappy lines.......im sure its really neccessary for all the 30 lb + pike that they seem to be chasing!!! LOL

bowriverbrown
05-06-2014, 08:53 AM
I've caught a few small pike in there last year, bouncing a chartreuse tub jig. Hooked into a big pike near the dam on a small yellow crank. I should have had a better leader, lost it right away as it thrashed around in the shallow water.

There must be some big ones in there or at least someone thinks there is. When I hooked into that one, there was a family fishing near the point there by the dam. I made a comment to the lady using a huge salmon rod, she replied in some European language I didn't understand. she was obviously bait fishing for something huge.