PDA

View Full Version : new to calgary want to fish the bow

kotic
05-01-2014, 11:10 PM
hey. im kinda new to calgary from toronto, i fished the credit river for the past 5 years for salmon and rainbow trout. i would like to get back on a river now that the weather is getting better. im about to buy a float reel and rod tomorrow and start fishing the "best river in canada" the bow but i have no idea where to even look for fishing holes as it is so big. i live near the ikea and was thinking to check fish creek park where the creek meets the river.... any body know any spots/holes i can try out with easy access (near a park,parking lot,well known area) that is around SE? but i don't mind driving to any part of the city if i need to.

thanks for your help

Tigger72
05-01-2014, 11:45 PM
You won't get a tonne of "where to go" info ... but lots of tips and tricks.... the big problem is since the floods everyone seems to be out looking for "good spots"..I too am new to fishing the bow I fish anywhere from straight across from ikea under glenmore trail (there is a boat launch) to I think its called natures hideaway east of DeWinton where the high wood joins the bow.... I've been told its not a river to learn new skills on however its so close and convenient ( I can be fishing in 10mins from my front door ) I'm willing to learn the hard way!! Good luck and enjoy!!! ( READ THE REGS )

Flieguy
05-02-2014, 07:22 AM
the bow has decent fishing throughout the whole section from the WHD weir to the carseland weir. That's the most fished section.

Watch out with that float reel, no bait in the bow for the most part! But you can float marabou jigs or whatever else you want to float.

I've seen and heard people do well with a rapalas in the spring. You can find some big browns in the bow.

Just get out and explore and try different things! Then learn to fly fish :p

SCHOOCH
05-02-2014, 07:39 AM
Go into one of the fly shops and get yourself a good assortment of nymphs that you can use with your float reel........i grew up fishing the Credit so i started here the exact same way. There are lots of good spots in the city but like the boys said the river has changed and guys are re-learning the runs. Keep your eyes open for where others are fishing and you will do fine. Good luck and welcome to Calgary!

densa44
05-02-2014, 08:01 AM
I was taking the boy scouts down the river on opening day, just by luck, and the river was gin clear. While teaching the boys how to "eddy out" behind rocks in rapids, well fast water, I was using a custom made spinning rod from a fly rod blank. It was first used on the Saugeen as an egg rod.

We were able to stop pretty much where ever we wanted, along the bank, in the middle, where ever. With a small mepps and the reel full of 4 lbs. test I caught 32 trout between Glenmore trail and fisherman's flats.

As it got dark I helped a 12 year old boy land and release the biggest brown trout I ever saw.

You are in for a treat.

kotic
05-02-2014, 11:01 AM
You won't get a tonne of "where to go" info ... but lots of tips and tricks.... the big problem is since the floods everyone seems to be out looking for "good spots"..I too am new to fishing the bow I fish anywhere from straight across from ikea under glenmore trail (there is a boat launch)

thanks. i just google mapped the boat launch and will take a walk down there the next sunny to find a nice spot on the river bank to try my luck

Watch out with that float reel, no bait in the bow for the most part! But you can float marabou jigs or whatever else you want to float.

I've seen and heard people do well with a rapalas in the spring. You can find some big browns in the bow.

i have never used/tried rapalas on fast water river fishing. my normal set up is float reel with a 11 foot rod with 8 lbs test, from float to hook is about 6 feet. float then every foot is 4 split shots weights then leader then 2 feet of 6-4 lbs leader line with a fly....or if it is spawning season a hook with salmon eggs/row/spawn sacks

Go into one of the fly shops and get yourself a good assortment of nymphs that you can use with your float reel........i grew up fishing the Credit so i started here the exact same way. There are lots of good spots in the city but like the boys said the river has changed and guys are re-learning the runs. Keep your eyes open for where others are fishing and you will do fine. Good luck and welcome to Calgary!

i plan on buying a couple flies for now and if they work ill just start making my own flies ..... yea i have been hearing a lot about the flooding messing up fishing in the bow. lets hope under the bridge at glenmore and deerfoot brings me luck

thanks for all your help peoples