PDA

View Full Version : Leupold eye relief?

Cowboy Al
10-27-2008, 09:59 PM
I've got a VXII 4-12 on my 300 win mag. I have trouble with the scope blacking out (not sure of the proper term) when I'm settled in behind it to shoot. I've tried to adjust the scope (it's as far back as the rings will allow) what else can I try? I thought the Leupold would be an upgrade from the Bushnell 3200's I've had on my last two rifles. But now I'm not so sure. :rolleye2:

FishBrain
10-28-2008, 11:40 AM
you say as far back as possible?
When I setup my leupold I had it put as far forward as I could because of the 3.5" (rough) eye relief. I found that it aloud me to shoulder it comfortably without streching my upper body.

When you shoulder your rifle, are you able to get a clear view from moving towards it or away from it? That should tell you where to move it to.

Edit: I did use the leupold rings and bases if that makes a difference

Dark
10-28-2008, 01:55 PM
I had the same problem I bought rings that offset the scope back 1". I don't have a issue when it's warm out but when I start to pile on the winter clothing for the all day stand at -20 thats when I have to stretch my neck out.

Kev
10-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Same problem on my Ruger #1, I had to get offset rings. I thought Leupold had one of the longer eye reliefs.

Mountain Guy
10-28-2008, 05:40 PM
I got away from Leupold for that same reason.
I just did not like the eye relief. I found the scope I had before ( Bausch & Lomb ) way better for eye relief for some reason. And the Swarovski I have now :love: :love:

bobinthesky
10-28-2008, 07:38 PM
The distance thing shouldn't be too hard to figure out, just slide you're head back and forth along the stock untill you find the right distance, then adjust the position of the scope!