PDA

View Full Version : Case for new rod

Bobby B.
05-04-2014, 06:38 AM
Yesterday, a buddy and I went to TFH westend and we each purchased a Loomis WJR 751S GLX rod and a Shimano CI4+ reel. Unfortunately, TFH does not offer the type of case I wanted. I'm interested in a case which protects the rod and reel without having to remove the reel. Anyone have any suggestions?

Bobby B.

TrollGRG
05-04-2014, 07:23 AM
I am surprised. I've gotten at least 2 of mine from them before. I am sure that WSS would have them if TFH doesn't carry them any more.

Bobby B.
05-04-2014, 08:10 AM
I am surprised. I've gotten at least 2 of mine from them before. I am sure that WSS would have them if TFH doesn't carry them any more.

Which cases do you have. I'll ask specifically for them. Bear in mind that the 751S is a 6'3" one piece rod.

Bobby B.

Geezle
05-04-2014, 08:45 AM
Which cases do you have. I'll ask specifically for them. Bear in mind that the 751S is a 6'3" one piece rod.

Bobby B.

Cases for one piece rods are pretty tough to come by...

You can probably find a 'sock' for it but I'm not so sure about a more rigid type case.

Bobby B.
05-04-2014, 09:24 AM
Thanks Geezle, I appreciate your input, it reflects what I experienced yesterday at TFH. I decided against the 'sock' as it does not provide the protection I want.

I might have to fabricate something from different sizes of ABS. Perhaps a length of 2" ABS to incase the rod and a few pieces of 4" cut then glued together to house the reel and rod butt. I wish some manufacturer would design something to satisfy this need.

Bobby

Geezle
05-04-2014, 09:58 AM
Thanks Geezle, I appreciate your input, it reflects what I experienced yesterday at TFH. I decided against the 'sock' as it does not provide the protection I want.

I might have to fabricate something from different sizes of ABS. Perhaps a length of 2" ABS to incase the rod and a few pieces of 4" cut then glued together to house the reel and rod butt. I wish some manufacturer would design something to satisfy this need.

Bobby

Honestly that's part of what keeps me away from 1 piece rods.

If I had a boat I could keep them stored in it wouldn't be such a big deal, but since my rods are typically getting transported in the back of a truck or the like I need my stuff to be protected.

If I had a 1 piece rod it wouldn't be long before it was a 2 or 3 piece rod! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Flieguy
05-04-2014, 10:02 AM
I don't like your chances of finding a case that includes the reel on a one piece....

If I were you I'd check online. Cabela's, Ebay, Plano, etc

RavYak
05-04-2014, 10:55 AM
For some odd reason they don't seem to make these although these are the rods that the cases are most necessary for...

You are either stuck taking reel off and putting it in a rod tube or trying to make your own.

If you are thinking about building your own here is an idea for you. Instead of trying to build your own case find a case for a 2 piece rod that works decently but is just too short, cut the end off and figure out a way to extend it using pvc pipe. Some models will be easier to modify this way then others but I think this is likely your easiest way.

fish gunner
05-04-2014, 11:24 AM
Just need to look out side the box 200cm×8.5cm may just be a little small but lots of others on that site. https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/app/#tackleuk-capped-carp-beachcaster-plastic-rod-tubes-black-large--p-2108.html . Hope that helps .

Geezle
05-04-2014, 11:40 AM
Just need to look out side the box 200cm×8.5cm may just be a little small but lots of others on that site. https://www.tackleuk.co.uk/app/#tackleuk-capped-carp-beachcaster-plastic-rod-tubes-black-large--p-2108.html . Hope that helps .

That doesn't solve the issue of him wanting to keep the reel on however. :o

fish gunner
05-04-2014, 11:43 AM
That doesn't solve the issue of him wanting to keep the reel on however. :o

I said that may be a bit small so search that site for a hold all or cut a slot for reel foot to pass thru. ??

TrollGRG
05-04-2014, 12:06 PM
I've never seen (or heard of) a factory made case for a 1 piece rod) Mine are 2 piece and I just pull it apart, turn the far end around and put it in the case - don't even have to unstring the line.

RavYak
05-04-2014, 12:07 PM
I said that may be a bit small so search that site for a hold all or cut a slot for reel foot to pass thru. ??

Why should he shop a UK fishing store? You realize that the shipping would be astronomical on something like that right?

There are lots of rod tubes he could buy in Edmonton. Or he could buy pvc pipe and a couple end caps and have the same thing.

huntsfurfish
05-04-2014, 01:28 PM
:sign0176:Would have been easier to buy a two piece rod.:)

wellpastcold
05-04-2014, 01:36 PM
Google bazuka rod tube. You won't be able to leave your reel on but you will be able to store multiple one piece rods. It is also adjustable for rod length. I have used one for years. I just detach my reels and put them in a cloth bag to protect them. Hope it works out for you.

fish gunner
05-04-2014, 02:01 PM
Why should he shop a UK fishing store? You realize that the shipping would be astronomical on something like that right?

There are lots of rod tubes he could buy in Edmonton. Or he could buy pvc pipe and a couple end caps and have the same thing.

No theres not lots of rod tubes in N/A for a 6'1" one piece rod. using pvc has detrimental effects on carbon fiber I just can't find the link to show how. Yes shipping could be expensive however where there's a will there's away. The holdalls on that site would work exactly as asked by the op, even for multiple rods up to ten I believe. Cant say ive ever seen a rod holdall in N/A or a cornucopia of other tackle avalible off shore. Just trying to help a guy out is all.
I ups'ed a canal pole ten yrs back cost 35 bucks with insurance, not much expence on a 600 $ item .

RavYak
05-04-2014, 04:59 PM
No theres not lots of rod tubes in N/A for a 6'1" one piece rod. using pvc has detrimental effects on carbon fiber I just can't find the link to show how. Yes shipping could be expensive however where there's a will there's away. The holdalls on that site would work exactly as asked by the op, even for multiple rods up to ten I believe. Cant say ive ever seen a rod holdall in N/A or a cornucopia of other tackle avalible off shore. Just trying to help a guy out is all.
I ups'ed a canal pole ten yrs back cost 35 bucks with insurance, not much expence on a 600 $ item .

Fishinhole, WSS and Cabelas all cary rod tubes that will fit a one piece rod, many of them go over 7'... Most of them are a little pricey though and they don't allow you to carry the reel with it.

I haven't heard that PVC is detrimental to carbon fiber, could use ABS instead if that is the case. I know many people have used both in the past.

fish gunner
05-04-2014, 05:11 PM
Fishinhole, WSS and Cabelas all cary rod tubes that will fit a one piece rod, many of them go over 7'... Most of them are a little pricey though and they don't allow you to carry the reel with it.

I haven't heard that PVC is detrimental to carbon fiber, could use ABS instead if that is the case. I know many people have used both in the past.
So nothing that fits the op's wish to have a reel attached. The site I posted has holdalls that fit the bill. :)