PDA

View Full Version : hunting near DV or Rockey?

moverly
10-28-2008, 12:11 PM
Im from Leduc and looking to take a first timer out this weekend for Whitetail. Im thinking somewhere near Rockey or Drayton, dose anyone have an idea (where there might be a good possibility of sucess). Im not looking for a wall hanger, so a doe might be better.
Thanks

Swamp_Donkey
10-28-2008, 01:07 PM
Go west of DV to the Cynthia area. Lots of crown land and you can follow that Hwy to Lodgepole. I believe Brazeau County maps are available online. There's also some crownland by Genesee in Leduc County(maps also available online)

High_N_Wide
10-28-2008, 02:37 PM
PM sent with directions.

Trev

Shrubs
10-28-2008, 06:20 PM
Im from Leduc and looking to take a first timer out this weekend for Whitetail. Im thinking somewhere near Rockey or Drayton, dose anyone have an idea (where there might be a good possibility of sucess). Im not looking for a wall hanger, so a doe might be better.
Thanks

The Sunchild road might be a good place to look into. Lots of access and lots of deer.

Mad_Mikee
10-28-2008, 08:22 PM
The Sunchild road might be a good place to look into. Lots of access and lots of deer.

And lots of indians. Careful where you're hunting.

jasonburrows
10-28-2008, 08:27 PM
Yeah a hunter got the sh#t kicked out of him, Elk, truck,trailer stole a couple years back, make sure you're not hunting on the res, its posted, if you see wild horses you're probably on res territory

brewski
10-28-2008, 08:34 PM
Yeah a hunter got the sh#t kicked out of him, Elk, truck,trailer stole a couple years back, make sure you're not hunting on the res, its posted, if you see wild horses you're probably on res territory

this is true, but dont think you are on the res if you see horses, the indians let them loose everywhere on the oil leases so they dont have to pay for hay in the winter, get yourself a proper map of the area and save yourself the hassle.

el sparko
10-28-2008, 10:29 PM
anywhere east or west of hwy#22 i have never seen so many whities!

Swamp_Donkey
10-28-2008, 11:14 PM
I'm hearing the same south of Lodgepole. Whities everywhere, and black bear.
I'm heading out Friday night, and staying out there all weekend

Shrubs
10-29-2008, 06:14 PM
And lots of indians. Careful where you're hunting.

True a person should stay off the reserve but with a decent map it's not to hard. Lots of other places to hunt.

I heard about that guy getting beat up way back but that was a pretty rare occurence. I've spent quite a bit of time out there and 99% of the people I see hunting aren't even from the reserve.

I think half of Calgary is out there some weekends though...:)

John Spartan
10-29-2008, 11:01 PM
Not sure about DV, but check out the grazing leases and crown land west of Rocky - some good places there for white-tails as well as grouse - especially where the old railway used to run.