PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a reel for a walleye rig

sns2
05-05-2014, 09:14 PM
I am putting together my first dedicated walleye rig. I have decided on a Gloomis rod, but now I have to choose a real. It took me fishing with a guy who had a nice Gloomis landing 3 fishing to every 1 that I landed, to convince me of the value of a really good rod.

Please give me your thoughts on a reel. I have always been of the mind that a rod is about 4x as important as the reel.

I am open to any and all advice.

Thanks in advance.

DiabeticKripple
05-05-2014, 09:28 PM
any type of spin caster should be good.

line id say is pretty important. get some 6lb braid and then tie a 2' fluoro leader on the end and it should be a deadly rig.

bobalong
05-05-2014, 09:39 PM
A Shimano Stradic CI4 or a Quantum Smoke would pair up nice with the Gloomis. I am sort of partial to the Shimano spinning reels, but both are very smooth.

RavYak
05-05-2014, 09:44 PM
6 lb braid? Why bother... 10 or 15 or heck even 20 lb is pretty much the same diameter and you won't break off in weeds... Also I am guessing you mean spinning reel, he probably doesn't want a spin caster reel for his g-loomis rod...

Are you looking for a spinning reel or baitcaster? I am guessing spinning.

For Walleye you probably want a 2500 size reel. If you are wanting a pretty good reel for $100 or less two that pop into my heads are Shimano Sahara FE and Pflueger Supreme. If you want something cheaper around $50 the Pflueger Presidents are pretty good. You can go with a Stradic or something really nice like that if you want but it is going to set you back $200.

DiabeticKripple
05-05-2014, 09:45 PM
6 lb braid? Why bother... 10 or 15 or heck even 20 lb is pretty much the same diameter and you won't break off in weeds... Also I am guessing you mean spinning reel, he probably doesn't want a spin caster reel for his g-loomis rod...

Are you looking for a spinning reel or baitcaster? I am guessing spinning.

For Walleye you probably want a 2500 size reel. If you are wanting a pretty good reel for $100 or less two that pop into my heads are Shimano Sahara FE and Pflueger Supreme. If you want something cheaper around $50 the Pflueger Presidents are pretty good. You can go with a Stradic or something really nice like that if you want but it is going to set you back $200.

sorry, i just spooled my spinning reel and baitcaster and crossed the two!

yes i meant spinning reel, and 6lb is all you really need.

RavYak
05-05-2014, 09:53 PM
sorry, i just spooled my spinning reel and baitcaster and crossed the two!

yes i meant spinning reel, and 6lb is all you really need.

Says you, I use 30 which is still the same size as 8 lb mono... Doesn't scare fish and if I hook a tree or a rock I don't lose my lure. Comes in handy when trolling expensive cranks(which the op may very well be doing with a walleye rod).

I recommend using nothing less then 15 lb braid but that is just my opinion.

Lund rebel
05-05-2014, 09:57 PM
I got a g Loomis walleye rod and paired it with a SYMETRE FL BY SHIMANO CANADA LTD with 8 pound power pro wasn't my first choice for reels initially but got it at wall to wall sale for 50 bucks and its great. Also hard to beat the stradic c14 as mentioned nice light reel for the rod. I figure with walleye I will be using it mostly for jigging so a lot of time I fish for them 10-15 feet of water so don't have to reel all that often.

sns2
05-05-2014, 09:59 PM
How much of a difference is there going to be between a Stradic and a Pflueger President? Real life difference. Major? Minor?

Lund rebel
05-05-2014, 10:14 PM
I would say major difference to some depends on how anal you are. You will notice the difference in casting, weight and how smooth it feels. I assume the have a different drag system as well. I shopped around a bunch for my pike reel and I could feel a difference between models at different price points. Best bet would be go to fishing hole and grab a similar loomis from the rack and put it on the rod and see how it feels.

npauls
05-05-2014, 10:16 PM
Says you, I use 30 which is still the same size as 8 lb mono... Doesn't scare fish and if I hook a tree or a rock I don't lose my lure. Comes in handy when trolling expensive cranks(which the op may very well be doing with a walleye rod).

I recommend using nothing less then 15 lb braid but that is just my opinion.

I see so many people way over lined when fishing for walleyes. I use 15lbs braid on my bottom bouncing reels and run 4-6lbs on my jigging reels. There is no need for anything heavier then 15lbs braid when fishing for walleyes and 15lbs is on the heavier side for sure.

As for a reel brand, model and size I would go with something in the 1500-2500 series if it is an all around walleye reel that will be used for a few different techniques. For the brand you can't go wrong with a good mid level shimano, quantum, or pflueger. I am a big fan of pfluegers and have been running them for years. I run the trions and presidents but a quantum or shimano around those same price ranges are going to be very similar in quality.

Lund rebel
05-05-2014, 10:17 PM
I am putting together my first dedicated walleye rig. I have decided on a Gloomis rod

What one are you buying ?

RavYak
05-05-2014, 10:24 PM
How much of a difference is there going to be between a Stradic and a Pflueger President? Real life difference. Major? Minor?

Here is some of the differences between a Stradic 2500 and President 30(30 has same capacity as a 2500).

The Stradic is a little higher quality and can be used in saltwater, obviously this is only a minor difference when used for walleye(might last a little longer).

The Stradic has a stronger drag (15 lbs vs 9 lbs). 9 is plenty for walleye though and pretty much anything in AB other then Sturgeon so again this is only a minor difference for you.

The Stradic has a slightly faster retrieve. Yet again not that important for walleye as you likely won't be ripping lures in.

The President actually weighs 1 oz less. Obviously this is better as it makes for less work casting.

Honestly I wouldn't buy a Stradic for a walleye rod unless you just feel you need to have one of the best reels available and as bragging rights. The president will be plenty good enough for what you are planning to use it for. You can also buy 4 of them for the price of a Stradic so if they do happen to wear out a little faster you are still far ahead in the long run.

RavYak
05-05-2014, 10:37 PM
I see so many people way over lined when fishing for walleyes. I use 15lbs braid on my bottom bouncing reels and run 4-6lbs on my jigging reels. There is no need for anything heavier then 15lbs braid when fishing for walleyes and 15lbs is on the heavier side for sure.

As for a reel brand, model and size I would go with something in the 1500-2500 series if it is an all around walleye reel that will be used for a few different techniques. For the brand you can't go wrong with a good mid level shimano, quantum, or pflueger. I am a big fan of pfluegers and have been running them for years. I run the trions and presidents but a quantum or shimano around those same price ranges are going to be very similar in quality.

Well I guess I should mention I use my same reel for pike and walleye so that is why I use 30 lb. 15 would probably be good for a walleye dedicated rig. I wouldn't use a pound less since one of my favourite walleye crankbaits costs nearly $15... If I catch a tree or rock etc I would rather straighten the hook or pull up the tree/rock then lose my lure.

I also do not believe using 6 lb braid has any significant advantage in catch rate as walleye aren't that picky and will bite even if using steel/titanium leaders or pickerel rigs etc.

If we were talking a trout rod then by all means go light weight as I do believe it affects trout but I haven't seen any difference in how it affects walleye.

huntsfurfish
05-05-2014, 10:56 PM

I agree Nate. I rarely go over 6 lb. for walleye for jigging and rigging. And I suspect it will be a jigging rod or rigging rod that the OP buys. There is little reason to spend much on a crank rod or Bouncing rod. In those instances 10 to 15lb. is plenty.

PS to the OP. It might not have been the rod/reel/line that made the difference. Could have been a number of things that gave him the 3:1 advantage.:) I have seen a number of times guys outfished that were using GLoomis and other high end rods. If you have the money, have at er.

davegrant
05-05-2014, 10:59 PM
It's all in the machining tolerances of the reel. Stick with a Shimano. better quality bearings, tighter machining, smoother drags, bevelled spools for easier casting with braid and the new Stradics CI4+ has X-Ship ( bearing support on each side of shaft ) so no flex or wear on gears under load. Reels built for a lifetime.

Walleyedude
05-05-2014, 10:59 PM
I agree on the rod being more important in finesse fishing applications.

I would suggest a 1000 size reel for walleye/pike fishing. Unless you're sturgeon fishing there isn't a fish swimming in AB that's going to spool you. The 1000 size reels have plenty of drag power and they're lighter, smaller, and balance better on light rods. The only reason to go to a 2500 size, and if you're going to do that, get the 3000, it's the same reel with a slightly larger spool, is if you plan to do a lot of casting or fishing in really cold weather where you'll be wearing heavy gloves.

I'm a Shimano guy because I think you get what you pay for in terms of quality, and I'd rather buy a quality reel once than three lesser quality reels. My suggestion would be one of three options. For something around $110 and the best bang for the buck, the Symetre 1000FL. For the ultimate in light weight and reel performance, the new CI4+ is REALLY hard to beat. You'll get consistently smooth retrieve performance regardless of the load on the reel, and the drag system is buttery smooth and consistent. They are very impressive reels, and if you're putting together a top notch walleye rig, they'd be my #1 choice to pair with the G Loomis rod. The other option would be a Stradic FJ if you can find one on sale.

As for line, the Power Pro Super Slick is the best braid I've tried. It's as strong or stronger than the original, the knot strength is second to none, and best of all, it's silent through the reel and rod guides. I use 10lb pretty much exclusively for walleye, I really don't think you need to go any heavier, I've never had a break off. It's almost impossible to break it even when you're trying. Lighter line results in more bites in my experience, due to lower visibility and the improved lure action. If targeting pike exclusively, step up to 15 or 20lb.

bubba 96
05-06-2014, 06:10 AM
A Shimano Stradic CI4 or a Quantum Smoke would pair up nice with the Gloomis. I am sort of partial to the Shimano spinning reels, but both are very smooth.

Just got both these reels for Christmas and there awesome.....

Bobby B.
05-06-2014, 07:49 AM
I am putting together my first dedicated walleye rig. I have decided on a Gloomis rod, but now I have to choose a real. It took me fishing with a guy who had a nice Gloomis landing 3 fishing to every 1 that I landed, to convince me of the value of a really good rod.

Please give me your thoughts on a reel. I have always been of the mind that a rod is about 4x as important as the reel.

I am open to any and all advice.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Buddy,

First, accept the fact that you will never catch as many fish as me. Never ever ever. Second, don't waste your money on fancy equipment until you've learned to fish. Third, grab an empty plastic bottle, wrap some string around it, tie a bent nail to the 'business end', and duct tape the contraption to a broomstick. Hang on tight.

Bobby B.

EZM
05-06-2014, 07:52 AM
EVERYBODY IS WRONG !!!!!!!!!! lol

Get a Abu Garcia Revo SX ....... the best reel at this price point IMO

http://www.abugarcia.com/products/reels/spinning-reels/revo/revo-sx

Second Choice would be the Shimano Stradic CI4 for a few more bucks.

I have both reels and both are top notch.

I run a 15lb Power Pro super slick braid on my G Loomis Walleye Rod and tie on a 18"-24" piece of fluorocarbon leader to make it invisible and abrasion resistant.

DEADLY combination.

wellpastcold
05-06-2014, 08:09 AM
Take your new rod with you to the tackle shop and mount the reels you are interested in on the rod. Check the balance of the outfit and how it feels to you. If money is not the deciding factor, get the reel that feels, looks and balances best. Don't be afraid to spend money on a reel, well maintained it will last you a lifetime. You get what you pay for.

Vigsy
05-06-2014, 01:25 PM
Cant go wrong with a zebco 33

Mudslide
05-06-2014, 03:00 PM
For walleye jigging I use a high vis 10 lb braid with a 6ft flouro leader, tied on with a double uni knot. You would be surprised at how many strikes you see by watching the line move before you ever feel a thing, even with a high end rod. I have 3 or 4 of the older Stradics and love them. The size of the reel needs to balance the rod in your hand. If you let go and just use your index finger, the rod should balance on your finger. 2500 with a 6ft rod is about right, but some people will get away with the 1000. The smaller reels usually have less lbs of drag though.

Jamie Black R/T
05-06-2014, 04:22 PM
im all for quality gear...but be warned...when you take out a buddy and he outfishes you with an ugly stick and a steel leader...it hurts so much worse when you have a 600 dollar rig in your hand.

Kyle
05-06-2014, 04:27 PM

Are you suggesting using 4-6 lb braid on jigging reels or mono/flouro?

I agree with Ravyak, no need for the super small diameter braided lines. Not much point in using 8 lb braid (1lb diameter) when you are going to tie a 6 lb flouro leader on IMO.

Bobby B.
05-06-2014, 05:03 PM
im all for quality gear...but be warned...when you take out a buddy and he outfishes you with an ugly stick and a steel leader...it hurts so much worse when you have a 600 dollar rig in your hand.

I agree 100%. A pair of sharp scissors will ensure no one outfishes you.

Bobby B.

npauls
05-06-2014, 09:37 PM
Are you suggesting using 4-6 lb braid on jigging reels or mono/flouro?

I agree with Ravyak, no need for the super small diameter braided lines. Not much point in using 8 lb braid (1lb diameter) when you are going to tie a 6 lb flouro leader on IMO.

I use a 6lbs braid on my jigging rods most of the time with a 6lbs fluoro or mono leader. The reason I go so light on my jigging rods is because I pitch very small jigs and with a heavier braid you can't cast nearly as far with those tiny jigs.

Once and awhile I go with a 4lbs braid if I really down size to little ice fishing sized jig heads. It all depends on the fishing situation.

The same weight fluoro or mono will break way before the braid ever will. To avoid break offs I just keep a close eye on my drag and make sure it is set properly. I rarely have get a break off unless I hook into a pike while I am out chasing walleyes and the only reason they break me off is because of their teeth.

BassDude
05-06-2014, 09:51 PM
Guess I'm old school - still using the Berkley XT Green 6lb for jigging and 10 or 12 LB for spinning/bouncing. Tried Fire Wire in 1995 or so (LOL) - didn't like the lack of stretch...One day I'll have to try what's suggested with the fluoro leaders - if its that good a setup have to consider it. But I'm kinda stuck in my groove.

huntsfurfish
05-06-2014, 11:29 PM
I use a 6lbs braid on my jigging rods most of the time with a 6lbs fluoro or mono leader. The reason I go so light on my jigging rods is because I pitch very small jigs and with a heavier braid you can't cast nearly as far with those tiny jigs.

Once and awhile I go with a 4lbs braid if I really down size to little ice fishing sized jig heads. It all depends on the fishing situation.

The same weight fluoro or mono will break way before the braid ever will. To avoid break offs I just keep a close eye on my drag and make sure it is set properly. I rarely have get a break off unless I hook into a pike while I am out chasing walleyes and the only reason they break me off is because of their teeth.

Once again, I agree, I use 4-6 pound mono and 4-6 pound superlines for the same reason-small jigs. More often than not I use the superline without fluoro also. I still use mono(tectan) frequently for jigging/pitching jigs too. Depending on conditions and circumstances.