PDA

View Full Version : Canada the face of Nato?

Wiz
05-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Leadership?

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/nato-commander-doubts-russian-troops-will-enter-eastern-ukraine/499537.html

CNP
05-06-2014, 09:19 AM
I read the link. What is it you are saying with your two question marks?

Wiz
05-06-2014, 11:29 AM
Sorry ehntr, I was being lazy.

I found the photo interesting. Especially considering its place on the front page in the Moscow Times.

Years ago you would have photos of an American President standing side to side with NATO leadership. I find it interesting how now, with the NATO Strongman in Ottawa and not Washington, Harper is front and center with the Maple Leaf behind him. Makes me proud that we have a government with such a strong foreign policy. This photo just proves our bark is being felt in Russia. I just hope if push comes to shove our American brothers are standing strong behind us.

Bushrat
05-06-2014, 12:11 PM
Sorry ehntr, I was being lazy.

I found the photo interesting. Especially considering its place on the front page in the Moscow Times.

Years ago you would have photos of an American President standing side to side with NATO leadership. I find it interesting how now, with the NATO Strongman in Ottawa and not Washington, Harper is front and center with the Maple Leaf behind him. Makes me proud that we have a government with such a strong foreign policy. This photo just proves our bark is being felt in Russia. I just hope if push comes to shove our American brothers are standing strong behind us.

Strong foreign policy?? Harper is NATO poster boy cause nobody else can go mouth off then walk away cause Canada has nothing but lip. service. Russians are laughing at us, really what is Canada going to do. Nothing and they know it.

IR_mike
05-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Strong foreign policy?? Harper is NATO poster boy cause nobody else can go mouth off then walk away cause Canada has nothing but lip. service. Russians are laughing at us, really what is Canada going to do. Nothing and they know it.

We could probably black out NHL broadcasts to the soviet union......that will fix them.

CNP
05-06-2014, 12:37 PM

Do something and it and won't be good enough
Do nothing and reap scorn.
Is that how you sum it up?

When good men do nothing, evil triumphs. You're post has everyhing to do with a lack of military might on our part (which does not extend to NATO), it does not even consider the economic and diplomatic pressures that are being applied against Russia. Russia is not laughing. Ukraine is not laughing. Canada has a statesman that it hasn't had in many, many decades.

Selkirk
05-06-2014, 12:42 PM
And further more, I'm not going to drink anymore vodka today!

Take that, Russia! :mad0030:

Mac

Bushrat
05-06-2014, 01:12 PM
When good men do nothing, evil triumphs. You're post has everyhing to do with a lack of military might on our part (which does not extend to NATO), it does not even consider the economic and diplomatic pressures that are being applied against Russia. Russia is not laughing. Ukraine is not laughing. Canada has a statesman that it hasn't had in many, many decades.

Diplomatic and economic sanctions are working well aren't they. Statesman? Just another talking head yapping because we got nothing to offer.

260 Rem
05-06-2014, 02:49 PM
Anybody see the bit on The National about Sat night, NATO AWACS out of Geilenkirchen patrolling Ukraine's western border ...looking all the way to Crimea. And now we have six CF-18's in the area. One of my boys did a five year tour flying AWACS for NATO. Didn't hear much from him during the 77 days they spent on Kosovo. NATO does work, sometimes.

npbra
05-06-2014, 11:24 PM
Diplomatic and economic sanctions are working well aren't they. Statesman? Just another talking head yapping because we got nothing to offer.

Pretty jaded and bitter are we?

Selkirk
05-07-2014, 12:22 AM

When we consider that Russia has much of Europe by the balls (major suppler of Europe's gas and oil), then yes ^.

Economic sanctions be damned ... Russia has the 'Ace' card.

Mac

Bushrat
05-07-2014, 07:29 AM

Yup, sick of politicians posturing to gain political points over a situation they have no control over, have nothing to offer for a solution who have no intentions of doing anything effective besides yap, yap, yap......

greylynx
05-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Anybody see the bit on The National about Sat night, NATO AWACS out of Geilenkirchen patrolling Ukraine's western border ...looking all the way to Crimea. And now we have six CF-18's in the area. One of my boys did a five year tour flying AWACS for NATO. Didn't hear much from him during the 77 days they spent on Kosovo. NATO does work, sometimes.

Anyone know if CF-18s are being deployed to the Inuvik and Yellowknike forward operating locations.

It seems the Russians have been "training" in the North Pacific for the past six weeks.

Their AWAC's coverage would be from Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage and possibly Tinker.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/06/us-usa-russia-asiapac-idUSBREA4501M20140506

260 Rem
05-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Anyone know if CF-18s are being deployed to the Inuvik and Yellowknike forward operating locations.

It seems the Russians have been "training" in the North Pacific for the past six weeks.

Their AWAC's coverage would be from Elmendorf AFB in Anchorage and possibly Tinker.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/05/06/us-usa-russia-asiapac-idUSBREA4501M20140506

I suspect our 18's are trainining in the same area as the Russians. If not, our military strategists are sorely lacking judgement. It takes a lot of resources to operate in the far north.
Russia seems to have come a long way in the past 15 years. I can remember attending Air Shows where the Russian crews were almost reduced to holding raffles to pay for fuel for the trip home.
I really doubt NATO is going to do much regarding Ukraine -- it is pretty much lost already.
EDIT: The AWACS is quite a platform to direct a fight. They can "see" and identify pretty much anything that lifts off land or water for more than 150Kms. When tasked to fight, they direct a number of fighter/bombers. Some have specific targets, some are "roaming" and waiting for "targets of opporunity", and of course, there are always a couple that stick tight with the AWACS to protect it.... Anything that comes into the air within the AWACS electronic vision does not last long ...a matter of minutes. Basically, their equipment can tell if it is a Ford or a Chev at distance. Poor old Saadam, tried to put up a few MIG's but they were taken out so quickly that he trucked out most of his MIG assets insteed of trying to fly them to safety.....

Okotokian
05-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Why is Canada at the forefront of pushing NATO and the G7 to confront Russia?

Because Harper knows we may need it in the north in a few years.

greylynx
05-07-2014, 05:20 PM

Yes:

http://metronews.ca/news/world/980914/the-far-north-turf-war-who-really-rules-the-arctic/

fish gunner
05-07-2014, 05:28 PM
I suspect our 18's are trainining in the same area as the Russians. If not, our military strategists are sorely lacking judgement. It takes a lot of resources to operate in the far north.
Russia seems to have come a long way in the past 15 years. I can remember attending Air Shows where the Russian crews were almost reduced to holding raffles to pay for fuel for the trip home.
I really doubt NATO is going to do much regarding Ukraine -- it is pretty much lost already.
EDIT: The AWACS is quite a platform to direct a fight. They can "see" and identify pretty much anything that lifts off land or water for more than 150Kms. When tasked to fight, they direct a number of fighter/bombers. Some have specific targets, some are "roaming" and waiting for "targets of opporunity", and of course, there are always a couple that stick tight with the AWACS to protect it.... Anything that comes into the air within the AWACS electronic vision does not last long ...a matter of minutes. Basically, their equipment can tell if it is a Ford or a Chev at distance. Poor old Saadam, tried to put up a few MIG's but they were taken out so quickly that he trucked out most of his MIG assets insteed of trying to fly them to safety.....great post however one small item is missing the russkies don't care how advanced tech is they use overwhelming odds to achieve objectives. They could use mig 21 and the west would nearly be out numbered. The fact there air craft use farmer tolerance' s give them a huge durability advantage over most western aircraft. Sheer unstopable fire power and a complete disregard for losses ...a fight that cant be won .

alkalisavage300
05-07-2014, 05:49 PM
The great bear has definitely awakened and unfortunately it's caught the west off guard or simply they've chose to just let things figure them selves out. At any rate the excitement is only beginning!
And yes what they lack in tech they most definitely make up for it in sheer numbers and nasty determination.

dantonsen
05-07-2014, 05:57 PM
I imagine the tough talk comes because we are on an island with the worlds major super power as our neighbour.

I dont think russia with some 10 000 war planes, tens of thousands of tanks and a kgb colonel for a leader gives two rips about our 6 planes from the 60's or seventies.

Harper beaking off will probably jeapordize our pull in arctic territory staking..... afterall we hitch rides on their nuclear icebreakers when the going gets tough for our inadequate fleet of one or two ice breakers.

I really hope the united states has our back.... because our military would have trouble controlling a hockey riot lol

EZM
05-07-2014, 06:10 PM
And further more, I'm not going to drink anymore vodka today!

Take that, Russia! :mad0030:

Mac

You are going way too far .....That is ridiculous ............ you have escalated to madness !!!!!!

I guess there is still Finland's Vodka to drink !!!!!!!!!!! lol

260 Rem
05-07-2014, 07:35 PM
great post however one small item is missing the russkies don't care how advanced tech is they use overwhelming odds to achieve objectives. They could use mig 21 and the west would nearly be out numbered. The fact there air craft use farmer tolerance' s give them a huge durability advantage over most western aircraft. Sheer unstopable fire power and a complete disregard for losses ...a fight that cant be won .
Guess we will never really know until a fight really starts...but "the west" has amazing jaming capability. I am told that when a couple of MIGs made it into the air they found themselves flying without operational electronics. Tough to even land those birds if you need to see the ground with your eyes. Who knows what anti jamb technology the Ruskies have ... but unless it is up-to-date, they may as well be flying piper cubs (that is an exageration).
The age/speed of the fighting platform (CF-18) is not nearly as important as the "business electronics". A new computer trumps an old one..almost every time.
There is not going to be much air-to-air fighting in the next big dust-up. Dog fights are largely yesterday's technology.
Nobody likes to fight more than Americans...glad they have our back.

greylynx
05-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Electronic Warfare is really neat stuff.

One gets to become up and friendly with your enemy, and he does not even know it. :)

You have to love that electromagnetic spectrum.:)

JimPS
05-07-2014, 09:04 PM

Statesman?

http://albertadiary.ca/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Harper.jpg

Canada has a Chicken Hawk PM.

The last Canadian Prime Minister to have seen action in wartime was Lester Pearson, who was a First World War veteran.

The last PM to have served in the military was, surprisingly, Pierre Trudeau, who was conscripted while in university during WW II, and entered the Canadian Officers’ Training Corps.

However, like most of the “zombies” (as conscripts were known at the time), he did not see overseas service, and he was later expelled from the service for “lack of discipline”.

ex811
05-07-2014, 10:29 PM
I applaud Harper for his stance in this matter, as I'm sure allot of people around the globe do who appreciate freedom and oppose tyranny.

Okotokian
05-07-2014, 11:33 PM
[QUOTE=JimPS;2428233]

I like the two versions of "I hate you" on the faces of the two folks on either side of him. LOL

JimPS
05-08-2014, 10:57 AM
[QUOTE=JimPS;2428233]

I like the two versions of "I hate you" on the faces of the two folks on either side of him. LOL

Harpo is holding his hands like that because he just asked her if they are really that big.

Wiz
05-08-2014, 01:25 PM
Nobody likes to fight more than Americans...glad they have our back.

Better believe that. I don't think any other state, save maybe Israel, is more battle tested than the U.S. ****, with over ten years of war in Afghanistan even NATO is quite prepared... tactically.

brownbomber
05-08-2014, 02:53 PM

I do believe you have won a chicken dinner

Grizzly Adams
05-08-2014, 05:26 PM

Canada and company field a few antique aircraft, Putin fires a couple of ballistic missiles and holds nuclear exercises. What's wrong with this Picture? :confused:

Grizz

260 Rem
05-08-2014, 05:53 PM
Canada and company field a few antique aircraft, Putin fires a couple of ballistic missiles and holds nuclear exercises. What's wrong with this Picture? :confused:

Grizz
No one is pretending that Canada is a match for the Russian military machine ... we are but a small cog in the wheel. But make no mistake that our NATO partners have some pretty capable equipment. Notwithstanding, the NATO AWACS use Boeing 707's, they are as capable for the job as any new aircraft. They are flying 800 km/hr and the load carried in the back is state of the art. We regularly train with all these partners. In fact, in a few weeks if you are Cold Lake, Edm, --- you are likely to see some of the annual Maple Flag operation.
Never underestimate the readiness of our Cdn fliers. When our son was a CF pilot (make that RCAF now), they flew many more training hours than virtually every other country.
I doubt there is any appetite for any ballistic missiles flying over Ukraine on the part of either side. The use of air-to-ground operations, maybe.

CNP
05-08-2014, 07:39 PM
No one is pretending that Canada is a match for the Russian military machine ... we are but a small cog in the wheel. But make no mistake that our NATO partners have some pretty capable equipment. Notwithstanding, the NATO AWACS use Boeing 707's, they are as capable for the job as any new aircraft. They are flying 800 km/hr and the load carried in the back is state of the art. We regularly train with all these partners. In fact, in a few weeks if you are Cold Lake, Edm, --- you are likely to see some of the annual Maple Flag operation.
Never underestimate the readiness of our Cdn fliers. When our son was a CF pilot (make that RCAF now), they flew many more training hours than virtually every other country.
I doubt there is any appetite for any ballistic missiles flying over Ukraine on the part of either side. The use of air-to-ground operations, maybe.

Maple Flag 47 will not host any foreign air forces this year. It will still take place but will be reduced substantially, RCAF aircraft only. Europeans are focusing on what is happening in their own backyard.

RedLabel
05-08-2014, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post

DING DING DING

bsmitty27
05-09-2014, 08:06 AM
The us will have our back as long as we are a benifit to them. They make lots of false promisses. Just ask ukrane!

GunnerySgtJackson
05-09-2014, 01:35 PM
Maple Flag 47 will not host any foreign air forces this year. It will still take place but will be reduced substantially, RCAF aircraft only. Europeans are focusing on what is happening in their own backyard.

That is very interesting.....................

fish gunner
05-09-2014, 01:39 PM
The us will have our back as long as we are a benifit to them. They make lots of false promisses. Just ask ukrane!

Bada bing bada boom the truth in living colour.

greylynx
05-09-2014, 05:41 PM
That is very interesting.....................

Maple Flag is an exercise of the past when it comes to foreign visitors. Kaput.

This is where all the action is these days.

http://www.eielson.af.mil/library/redflag-alaska.asp

http://www.jber.af.mil/jparc.asp

Sort of sad.:ashamed: