PDA

View Full Version : New Trailer - Propane Tank Question

S-in-Cochrane
05-06-2014, 10:02 AM
I'm in the process of buying a new enclosed trailer with a propane furnace. It's got a 40 LB undermount tank. Where would a person go to get this filled? Do all stations that will fill 20 LB BBQ tanks fill this kind also? All the propane places in town here are exchange only now.

bubba 96
05-06-2014, 10:27 AM
in airdrie coop fills so does tiger torch, didsbury very cheap propane at fegs...

I drive to fegs to get both my 40lbers in spring..

And it shouldent be a problem filling, I get my forklift tank filled at coop..

S-in-Cochrane
05-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Bubba,

I believe this tank is permanently attached to the trailer. Will that make a difference?

bubba 96
05-06-2014, 10:53 AM
I Dont think so as long as the hose can reach tank..fegs might be your best bet they are very good at the shop..

full_throttle
05-06-2014, 11:21 AM
Feegs

damaltor
05-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Bubba,

I believe this tank is permanently attached to the trailer. Will that make a difference?

Are you sure about this? I've been trailering for a lot of years and I definitely would not want a setup like this, I'm even surprised any manufacturers would design their trailers as such.

Some times on our travels, it has been difficult enough to find a place to fill bottles and I certainly wouldn't have enjoyed having to take my trailer from place to place trying to get it filled. Also access at some locations isn't the best and having to maneuver your trailer to fill could be quite entertaining.

If this trailer design does indeed have a fixed tank as you describe, can you at least hook a portable bottle into it, should the need arise? Given length of stay, weather, cooking, etc. a 40# bottle can get used up before you were planning to head home.

What make and model is the trailer you are looking at??

S-in-Cochrane
05-06-2014, 12:03 PM
It's a Mission enclosed cargo trailer with heat and AC. Not a camping trailer per se.

A picture of the tank is shown on page 5 of the following PDF. I don't actually have the trailer yet.

http://www.missiontrailers.com/downloads/MissionSnow_2013.pdf

I just talked to the Big Hill Springs RV near here, which is one of the closest places that do an actual fill and they said as long as there is a shut off between the tank and the trailer it will be fine.

The guy I've been dealing with is out of his office today so I will find out more tomorrow.

Hevishot
05-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Fill N Go Gas on Edmonton Trail. They would put propane in a pop bottle if they could get away with it :bad_boys_20:

Taco
05-06-2014, 12:21 PM
Fill it at service station that sells propane for automobiles, it's the same setup.

S-in-Cochrane
05-06-2014, 12:47 PM
Fill it at service station that sells propane for automobiles, it's the same setup.

That's what I thought I'd need. Still not sure where any of these places are. Well I think big hill springs will do it so I'm probably good there.

S-in-Cochrane
05-08-2014, 10:33 AM
Update:

Talked with the trailer manufacturer. The tank is a 40 LB horizontal with a regular connection like you would use on a BBQ tank. So you unhook the trailer line to fill it. The tank is also removable if required. So I should be able to get it filled anywhere I think.

Frost Fighter
05-08-2014, 12:31 PM
If that is the case then you will have to remove from the trailer to be put on the scale to fill, which you can get done anywhere that sells propane refills. Something to be aware about is never use it in the vertical position.

Snowdog
06-16-2014, 11:00 AM
not to derail the thread but what is Nth America's problem with propane/natural gas?

In Australia (and many other places) the propane pump is on the island next to the regular and diesel, drivers fill their own converted vehicles with big screw on connection, clicks off like gas when the tank is 80% full. By my estimates 30-50% of vehicles have a propane conversion out there and Ford and GM both make/made factory dual fuel vehicles. Now that propane is not as cheap as it was 15yrs ago it probably less economical but it is still nice to have 1500km range in a v6 family wagon. Not to mention an entirely separate fuel delivery system if you are out bush, lots of guys have a bbq connection tee'd in for camping.

Generally people here seem very scared of propane in vehicles.

thoughts?

recce43
06-16-2014, 11:07 AM
co-op in airdrie has propane pump for filling cars

RescueDiver
06-16-2014, 11:12 AM

I just bought a Cargo Mate Snowbird that has this set up as well. When I brought it home I realized then that it is fill via the auto fill process, and I also realized that the tank is not large enough and I would want to have a spare portable tank if I could.

The dealer wasn't very helpful and basically said they didn't know anything about the tank....NOTE: They didn't even purge it.....make sure your trailer company did this before you fill.

My question is

1. So you can hook up a portable tank to it?

2. Is there an adaptor that could be used?

3. If not, do you think you could put a second line in off the first with a switch that would switch from one tank to another.....kind of like an RV setup with two tanks?

jip911
06-16-2014, 07:39 PM
Get an "extend a stay" adapter and.you can tee in a normal propane tank for a rv/bbq