PDA

View Full Version : Residential Construction Site Manager

dcf
05-06-2014, 11:17 AM
Looking into a career change, wondering what people in the industry in this position think of it. Was looking at the career profile/occupation, and think this is something I would like. Coming from oil/gas construction/maintenance, supervision/management, with some trades training/co-ordinating. Please PM with any info/advice.

220swifty
05-06-2014, 01:35 PM
In my experience (on the trade side) the quality of the job can vary greatly between companies. I have worked for some builders where they are easily turning over in that position within a year, and others who have ten year plus supervisors.

The latter, unfortunately, is much less common than the former. Most builders seem to want the supervisor to be available 12 hrs/day, 6 days a week but only want to pay 8 and 5.

You are also in a position that almost guarantees that someone will be upset with you at any given time, if the office you represent doesn't always have your back. This could be a homeowner or a trade.

Just a few observations I have made after getting to know a few of these guys quite well.

Twisted Canuck
05-06-2014, 04:50 PM
Swifty nailed it. As a trade, I had the honor of ushering a new super off the job after trying to put up with him for 6 months. Finally, after he'd cost me to the tune of $15K or so, we were pleased to see him given the pink slip. Now we have someone who not only knows what he is doing, but he isn't a complete Richard Noggin.

I wouldn't do it for love or money, it's a thankless miserable job dealing with every gripe and complaint from both ends and the middle. My personal feeling is that the best people for the job are the guys who have been in trades for 30+ years, been there done that, easy going, and just looking to get off the tools because the knees and joints are worn out. If you're young, go run the tools as a trade, you'll make better money, and you always know who to bitch at! :)

Grizzly Adams
05-06-2014, 05:59 PM
He's the guy that gets **** from both ends. :lol: Trades and management. Thick skin is imperative and it helps to be a little on the not so bright side.

Grizz

CaberTosser
05-06-2014, 06:08 PM
Yep, not an envious job: the clients are very concerned because its the most expensive thing they're ever bought so their standards are high (some impossibly so) and they're generally not familiar with construction or only know what they learned from house-flipping DIY shows or Mike Holmes. The trades have to hold to their commitments to actually make a buck, the homebuilder wants to make money and keep the customer happy enough. I think I have a diagram here that would aptly demonstrate the role of a residential construction site manager:

http://seansturm.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/drawn-and-quartered.jpg

dcf
05-06-2014, 06:23 PM
Looks and sounds a lot like what I am doing now (area surface landman). haha. Might have to go back to field operations.

Brimo
05-06-2014, 09:35 PM
The residential market is very competitive, especially here. Quality isn't necessarily #1. But as with any profession, the good guys always have work. My advice, do what you love and have small ears and think skin.

dasbowhunter
05-06-2014, 11:27 PM
Seeing how it's pretty much all I have done since going off the tools 100% i can say its a pile of work. Having the experience in a trade ( framing and carpentry for me) it does help you understand things but it's all about how you interact with your trades. Do you know what their coffee order is, do you know their beer of choice... This things get you favours and builds a working relationship with each guy. They WANT to do good work because they appreciate the small things and helping them out to do deficiencies. Moving a light or duct or even adding some backing because you know how or you've learned from themselves saves them a trip which saves them time which saves them money that they can spend on the family or goal they have. Communication making sure the job is ready is also key, communication and relationship building. That's what makes a good superintendent ....and a saw and hammer and a drill and some know how and get off your ass attitude . Superintendents and rsm's were once called the push, if you can balance that word for your company , the boot for trades that can't be trusted to complete on time, and patience with your office and sales team you'll be fine, you'll work your ass off but it can be rewarding if you're organized , ambitious and build relationships

Just mho

Eddy62
05-07-2014, 07:35 AM
In my experience (on the trade side) the quality of the job can vary greatly between companies. I have worked for some builders where they are easily turning over in that position within a year, and others who have ten year plus supervisors.

The latter, unfortunately, is much less common than the former. Most builders seem to want the supervisor to be available 12 hrs/day, 6 days a week but only want to pay 8 and 5.

You are also in a position that almost guarantees that someone will be upset with you at any given time, if the office you represent doesn't always have your back. This could be a homeowner or a trade.

Just a few observations I have made after getting to know a few of these guys quite well.

could not off said it better myself live it every day.