PDA

View Full Version : Another acreage mower question

Iron Brew
05-06-2014, 11:57 AM
Yup, I know... I have googled and read...

I've got a new to me acreage. The lawn is quite a bit larger and rougher than the lawn at my old acreage, meaning I need to change mowers. I've looked at commercial duty mowers, and these seem to be out of my range, unless I get a really old one. So...

What do I need to look for in a mower to cut rough(ish) ground? Any of the residential zero turns going to be able to do this? Any idea about mower life span?

Previous owners had a Toro 325d that they would not part with. I have looked at one of those units, but... it needs some work, and I think that puts the price into not for me...

thanks

Austin
05-06-2014, 02:57 PM
I picked up a swisher pull behind from peavey mart. They are reasonable and easy to maintain

Magnet7mm
05-06-2014, 03:14 PM
Stay small deck width is best or you'll be buying blades all the time if rough terrain
If fairly smooth I would go with the wider swisher pull behind

Myself I would like a bigger deck, got a 46", now but will need some landscaping first lol
Or will just best the crap out of it mowing dirt humps lol

We bought a yard works seems not to bad 2 yrs so far and this year spent 90 bucks on repair parts and service stuff oil,filter etc
We mow about 3 acres every week

Red Bullets
05-06-2014, 03:23 PM
You should look at a small tractor with a three point hitch and a PTO.
Then you can get a 6 ft. bush hog (rough cutting of brush and trees to a half inch) in diameter or a 6 ft. finishing mower for summer use. A rototiller for gardening and a blade for snow. At a farm auction I have seen small older tractors go for as little as 1K.
I used a older Ford tractor for a large yard and garden for years. When I sold my acreage I sold my ford 8N tractor for 1500. I sold my bush hog and finishing mower attachments for 700 bucks. Will work harder and more versatile than any new bought mower. A bush hog and the finishing mower are great for rough ground and brushy areas. Older tracotrs were pre computer too so they are easy to repair, which is rare.

densa44
05-06-2014, 05:24 PM
All you need is an electric fence or a real good dog and just move them around all summer. Sell then in the fall. Make a few bucks, shoot the coyotes that show up.

Welcome to the county. You can get sheep/lambs at the auctions about now.

Weedy1
05-06-2014, 06:01 PM
Get a few Sheep that way you can kill two birds with one stone. Grass cutting and you'll have the entertainment for your AO Forum party house warming party.

heybert
05-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Swisher pull behind. Great for rough terrain.

As for livestock, have a mix of goat and sheep. Goats will eat the weedy, tough stuff and the sheep will eat the grass.