PDA

View Full Version : 6V RV Batteries

big zeke
05-06-2014, 10:46 PM
I'm in the market to replace the batteries in my trailer, they still hold ~13V but they are getting old (8 yrs) and I never like to get caught.

The few calls I have made put the price tag higher than I was expecting...in the range of $170 each with~$20 in core charge on top.

Every time I dropped by Costco I cannot find them, there is on spot in their battery rack which makes me think they are not stocked.

So am I stuck with a ~$340 bill or are there cheaper alternatives...

Zeke

heybert
05-06-2014, 10:48 PM
Have you checked out East Penn? They're in Calgary.

RavYak
05-06-2014, 10:56 PM
Should be able to find cheaper then that. Canadian Tire's group 27 is $114 and group 31 for $140 for example. Walmart has group 27's around $100.

skidderman
05-06-2014, 11:28 PM
If it was me I would not buy batteries from Cdn tire. My experience and others I know that the batteries don't last and this is one item where Canadian tire does not like to honour warranty. I have had great luck with Walmart batteries and a 9 year warranty which I tested after 7 yrs. No idea if they handle 6 volt. Another battery I like is interstate but they can be up there in price.

CaberTosser
05-06-2014, 11:39 PM
PM Albertadiver, I'm pretty sure his Dad owns a battery shop in Red Deer

RavYak
05-06-2014, 11:45 PM
If it was me I would not buy batteries from Cdn tire. My experience and others I know that the batteries don't last and this is one item where Canadian tire does not like to honour warranty. I have had great luck with Walmart batteries and a 9 year warranty which I tested after 7 yrs. No idea if they handle 6 volt. Another battery I like is interstate but they can be up there in price.

I don't think he actually needs 6 volt batteries, not sure why he has that in title since he says his current ones test 13 volt and almost all trailers use 12 volt deep cycle batteries.

CaberTosser
05-06-2014, 11:49 PM
I don't think he actually needs 6 volt batteries, not sure why he has that in title since he says his current ones test 13 volt and almost all trailers use 12 volt deep cycle batteries.

People often run two 6volt batteries and wire them in series to get to 12V, and I understand they'll draw down lower or something. I've never done it myself but frequently hear people singing praises of how well it works

Selkirk
05-07-2014, 12:11 AM

Not so fast there ^, Mr. RavYak! ;)

I'm guessing that almost 50% of all trailers use 6V batteries in pairs, instead of single 12V batteries. I think we should wait to hear back from the OP, to be sure about what he is using.

My two nickles :)

Mac

TBark
05-07-2014, 03:24 AM
I picked up a pair of T105 Trojan 6v from battery world a month back. Cost me $340 total.
Will be running this system in the new cabin build.
I expect it to be a good system for that price. 62 lbs ea too.

TBark

Unregistered user
05-07-2014, 05:22 AM
Sitting at a steady 13v is a healthy indicator, get them load tested, they may be just fine in spite of their age.

camshaft
05-07-2014, 06:37 AM
I know costco sells them. heck at the end of the year I posted that several locations were clearing them out for $79 I believe.
iv always seen them at beacon hill. not sure where ur located.
best to call them and get them to check their store inventory and locations.

silver
05-07-2014, 06:50 AM
Sitting at a steady 13v is a healthy indicator, get them load tested, they may be just fine in spite of their age.

Agree, I would not replace batteries just on age. However, I would keep a close eye on them. And not a bad idea to know where the best deals are just in case you do have to replace on short notice.

Slash8
05-07-2014, 06:50 AM
I pulled this off the net, Its kind of the same thing my dad told me. 6 volts are just better for charge and discharge. I run two 6 Volts in series with a solar panel and have never had a problem, always have power with nice bright lights even and the pump always works when the wife gets up at night to pee. I had an older trailer years ago with a single 12 once and it was a headache.

"If you use two Group 27 12-Volt batteries that are rated at 105 amp hours each and you wire them in parallel then you will receive a total of 210 amp hours out of your batteries. However, if you use two 6-Volt batteries that are roughly the same size and weight that are rated at 210 amp hours each and you wire them in series for 12 Volts, you will also receive 210 amp hours out of them. So in both situations you are using two batteries and in both situations you are getting roughly the same amount of Amp Hours. So the question still remains why choose the 6 Volt batteries over the 12 Volt? The reason is simple when you consider the batteries construction.

Remember that a 12 Volt battery is actually made up of six individual battery cells that each output approximately 2.12-2.15 Volts each. Each one of these cells is made up of a lead plate that is surrounded by an acid solution. Generally speaking, the heavier these plates are, the longer they will last and the better suited they are for deep cycle discharges and recharges. Since 6 Volt batteries only contain three cells per battery as opposed to six cells for a 12 Volt battery and since comparable batteries (in terms of amp hours) are roughly the same size (dimensions and weight will vary), the 6 Volt battery is usually constructed with larger plates and therefore tends to last longer in deep discharge situations. If you do some additional research on the web, you can even find people that have tested 12 Volt and 6 Volt batteries side by side. In all of these tests, the results seem to confirm that 6 Volt batteries are superior".

Here's a link I found. http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/batteryschool.cfm?TID=17#ANC17

Justanotherbuck2
05-07-2014, 07:30 AM
I run 2 six volt batteries and get a lot more time off the grid then I ever did with 12volt, I paid over two hundred per battery(purchased at local RV shop) $340.00 doesn't seem to bad to me. Its definitely the way to go.

turbo mulcher
05-07-2014, 08:26 AM
I know costco sells them. heck at the end of the year I posted that several locations were clearing them out for $79 I believe.
iv always seen them at beacon hill. not sure where ur located.
best to call them and get them to check their store inventory and locations.

I picked up 4 of the Golf cart Batteries for $67 each at end of the season. Put them in the Trap cabin. Couldn't go wrong at that price. And Costco's warranty is the Best.

Sledhead71
05-07-2014, 08:54 AM
I run a flooded system of 6 six volt batteries and two 160 Watt panels on my units... Once these batteries are fully charged, the system will hold it's own for 10 - 14 days no problem using all electrical as if you were home...

IMO, solar set up properly is far greater of a system than depending on a genny while free ranging...

pseelk
05-07-2014, 10:24 AM
I would wait for Costco to stock up and get them there.They had golf cart batteries regular priced at $114.last year.I paid $165 each for the same batteries elswhere before I knew Costco sold them.:sign0176:

big zeke
05-07-2014, 10:44 AM
Thanks for the input so far (and any more to come). I have written correctly, I have 2 6V batteries in my trailer today, they are hooked in series and my experience to date is far superior to having 12V batteries. I know the 13V shown to date is good but I do not want to find out the hard way that they are losing capacity. For me, good batteries are cheap insurance...good, cheap batteries are even better.

Selkirk
05-07-2014, 11:49 AM
I would wait for Costco to stock up and get them there.They had golf cart batteries regular priced at $114.last year.I paid $165 each for the same batteries elswhere before I knew Costco sold them.:sign0176:

I've thought about those ^ Costco 6V golfcart batteries as well, but I don't know enough about them. I'm running a Trojan SCS225 12V battery right now (best battery I've ever owned!), but I'd like to consider converting over to two 6V batteries, and keep the Trojan 12V as back-up.

I guess my biggest question is, do golfcart batteries have the same capacity/output as regular 6V RV batteries?

Mac

rosh
05-07-2014, 04:40 PM
Costco by far cheapest I've seen, might not have them right now but will have back soon.

pseelk
05-07-2014, 04:41 PM
I've thought about those ^ Costco 6V golfcart batteries as well, but I don't know enough about them. I'm running a Trojan SCS225 12V battery right now (best battery I've ever owned!), but I'd like to consider converting over to two 6V batteries, and keep the Trojan 12V as back-up.

I guess my biggest question is, do golfcart batteries have the same capacity/output as regular 6V RV batteries?

Mac

No,They usually have more.A good golf cart battery will wiegh around 60lbs.

Selkirk
05-07-2014, 06:48 PM
No,They usually have more.A good golf cart battery will wiegh around 60lbs.

If golfcart batteries are better than typical RV batteries, I guess I'd better put them on my Costco shopping list!

Thanks for the feed-back,

Mac

birdee
05-07-2014, 08:11 PM
trojan 6v golf cart batteries will last you longer.If you discharge a standard
12v marine golf cart battery to 80% charge it will last you 100 cycles,
the golf cart will last over 800 cycles.Down to 50% the marine will last 50
cycles the golf cart over 500 cycles.The exact # i will try to find.I think it was on the trojan site.http://www.trojanbattery.com/tech-support/battery-maintenance/
Anouther good site
http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volta.htm
part 1 and 2
denis
:)

curtz
05-07-2014, 08:36 PM
I have 2 6 volt Trojans with a 100 watt solar panel and a power inverter in my 5-wheel, don't have to pull out the generator unless we need to run the ac.

mayuan
05-07-2014, 10:50 PM
I pulled this off the net, Its kind of the same thing my dad told me. 6 volts are just better for charge and discharge. I run two 6 Volts in series with a solar panel and have never had a problem, always have power with nice bright lights even and the pump always works when the wife gets up at night to pee. I had an older trailer years ago with a single 12 once and it was a headache.

"If you use two Group 27 12-Volt batteries that are rated at 105 amp hours each and you wire them in parallel then you will receive a total of 210 amp hours out of your batteries. However, if you use two 6-Volt batteries that are roughly the same size and weight that are rated at 210 amp hours each and you wire them in series for 12 Volts, you will also receive 210 amp hours out of them. So in both situations you are using two batteries and in both situations you are getting roughly the same amount of Amp Hours. So the question still remains why choose the 6 Volt batteries over the 12 Volt? The reason is simple when you consider the batteries construction.

Remember that a 12 Volt battery is actually made up of six individual battery cells that each output approximately 2.12-2.15 Volts each. Each one of these cells is made up of a lead plate that is surrounded by an acid solution. Generally speaking, the heavier these plates are, the longer they will last and the better suited they are for deep cycle discharges and recharges. Since 6 Volt batteries only contain three cells per battery as opposed to six cells for a 12 Volt battery and since comparable batteries (in terms of amp hours) are roughly the same size (dimensions and weight will vary), the 6 Volt battery is usually constructed with larger plates and therefore tends to last longer in deep discharge situations. If you do some additional research on the web, you can even find people that have tested 12 Volt and 6 Volt batteries side by side. In all of these tests, the results seem to confirm that 6 Volt batteries are superior".

Here's a link I found. http://www.batteriesnorthwest.com/batteryschool.cfm?TID=17#ANC17

You are correct!

One more factor is the equalization of the batteries in parallel. As hard as we try we will not be able to get two perfectly matched batteries in the parallel circuit. This causes extra stress on one of the batteries during the charging and discharging of the circuit. Quite often you will find that one of the batteries will die prematurely in the parallel system. This issue will not affect the batteries in a series circuit.

Regardless of the circuit used, parallel or series, best to use matched batteries to reduce issues.

RavYak
05-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Learn something every day. I never even knew people used 6v batteries or that there was an advantage of doing so, everyone I know uses 12v.

AbAngler
05-08-2014, 08:58 AM
I have 2 6 volt Trojans with a 100 watt solar panel and a power inverter in my 5-wheel, don't have to pull out the generator unless we need to run the ac.

Thats basically what I did last year except I went with 4 batteries. New panels go in this spring, the old ones were only giving me a 4 amp charge. I would have to top them up after a few days with a generator.

6 volt battery bank, solar charged, with inverter is the way to go.

birdee
05-08-2014, 08:21 PM
2 ,6vot trojan t105. 100w mono panel.1500w samlex true sine wave inverter.Thinking of getting rid of the samlex inverter , can't get the wife to go so don't need hair dryer .Going to a 300w so i can still use laptop and charge phone watch tv etc.

TBark
05-08-2014, 08:45 PM
Near same setup as mine birdee.
T-105's and 400 w inverter for me with 70w solar panel.
Using low wattage lights so didn't feel I needed more of an inverter.

TBark

birdee
05-09-2014, 07:46 PM
actually you don't need the inverter to run the lights.Only if you useing
110volt lights and is a waste of power as it takes more energy to convert
12v to 110v.Definately change over to led save a lot of energy.I changed my porch light from a 1004 bulb at 56 lumin and 1.4 watts to a led board
385 lumin and .4 watts.Out camping can read the regs 15ft away at night
without a problem.I changed out all my lights to led.

600twin
05-10-2014, 05:52 AM
Due to the larger cells in a 6 volt it will last longer also when connecting two or more batteries connect you main positive cable on one battery and the negative to the other or last battery you have connected.