PDA

View Full Version : Please read me, what if it was you?

reelhooker
05-07-2014, 11:03 AM
This may be a little long winded but what the heck I got a bit to say.

I married my wife maybe 5-6 years ago knowing that we both wanted to have a family. But we also wanted to wait for the right time to have it.
About 4 -5years ago we decided it was time to "give er'"
After the first couple of months we started to wonder, why isn't this working? why isn't she pregnant? After consulting with people we where told that it wont always happen right away. It can take months, or even a year or two for some of the people we knew. (except of course the people who survive on wellfare and have no economical contribution to society).
We decided after a year and a bit of trying to go see our Family doctor.
Our family doctor referred us to the Calgary Fertility clinic for testing. Two weeks later we met with her again to discuss the results.
We where fortunate that everything with my Wife's "system" was in good working order. However at this point out Doctor told me " Unfortunatly you will never have kids"! We where devestated. completely. I knew that I would never run a country, make a medical discovery or really do much different than the average person. I knew the mark I would leave on this world was only what I would leave behind.

We then decided to look into other avenues. Despite the overwhelming feelings we both were dealing with, a family was our main goal. We started looking into Donors. Upon investigating this, found through the Fertility clinic that in fact there WAS a chance that we could have kids together and that My Doctor failed to mention that there was a small chance of retrieval.

It turns out I had a 0.002% Normal morphology rate. This means the rest of them bite their own tails(figuratively). We had found a light. We where willing to do whatever it takes to get what we wanted. We then begin to prepare. What we then found out was that this is a procedure that is not covered by Alberta Health Care. Not only that but it is expensive. The different procedures range in price from hundreds of dollars to thousands of dollars. We of course begin with the least invasive of the procedures. After multiple attempts we moved on to IVF. This is again more expensive and invasive to the carrier. With a 55% healthy success rate you would think that at least one out of multiple attempts would provide success for us. Boy where we wrong. After this we decided we would go all in for the most invasive, risky, time consuming and expensive option. ICSE feel free to look up the terms yourself but I don't feel the need to post them;). well this procedure has about the same success rate as standard IVF. Unless you are me. :( 0-1 on the first go. This is the point in our lives where we sat down and discussed what we where going to do. Keep trying this insanely emotionally challenging and financially draining procedure, look at donor options or adoption. (both options we had been monitoring throughout the duration of these events.)

We decided, mostly upon my Wife's desire to for some reason attempt to create another me, That we would try one more time.
We timed this in conjunction with my return from a hunting trip last fall. One of these procedure envolves months of supplements to myself as well as significant dosages of hormones (Chlomid) for my Wife. The hormones are terrible and result in what the Doctors will relate to as "the worst cycle of their life but for weeks straight" My wife endured mood swings(believe me) severe cramping day long migraines and everything else you see on a normal period times 10. There was no getting along. Working late happened a lot for me. Everything was a fight. I wouldn't even wish this on Justin Trudeau-Maybe Bieber though.. Anyways the best place for me to be during her last to weeks of taking Clomid was out hunting. As far away as possible. The poor girl had to go through those weeks alone.

Then it got worse. The Friday before I returned (with the procedure booked for the following week) she went in for blood tests. She received the news that there was a problem with the results and she had to come in for more tests. She returned and had more blood taken and was told to wait until they called her to return for the results.

I returned the next day to the most hysterical person you can ever imagine. We made it through the weekend with the expectation of being told that either we would not be able to proceed or worse, that there was something else wrong.
Monday morning was hard to go to work. Sitting at my desk I get a phone call from my wife at about 1pm. Ok, she's not crying, that is good. She then tells me that the nurse had called. They explained that in their words " Miss ********, we wanted to call you and let you know that we are not able to proceed with your scheduled procedure. Your results are back from your bloodwork and it turns out that you.....are 6 weeks pregnant!" she confirmed it with them twice, had them double check her file and yes, it was true. I first thought she was playing a really mean joke to be honest but no, it was true.
So the moral of this is, if you cant knock her up, go hunting for two weeks and see who does.. No just joking. It turns out the doctor put the date on a weekend we spent together with too much wine and just eneugh fun.
All that and it happened naturally (which increases the chances of healthy baby)
Why I wanted to write this however is because if there are others out there going through this feel free to pm me should you have any questions and concerns you may want to ask a person who has been thought it. And secondly because it is expensive. I don't mean like you cant buy that new gun expensive. I mean like 10k + every time you do the procedure expensive. A procedure with -60% success rate. We did 5 procedures unsuccessfully.. No, I'm not asking for money ;) At least not for me..

We where and are fortunate eneugh to have jobs and income that allowed us to do this but there are many family's that have to get line of credit's, remortgage and or end up having to claim bankruptcy in order to have these procedures. Or they just never get to try.
That being said there is a petition to get the government to cover these service. As well there is a program called "Generations of Hope" that helps families with the funding they need to have a family and children to love.
I personally find it embarrassing that in Alberta the Government will provide funding for a sex change but will do nothing to help families with fertility issues. -Dont worry about Quebec though, through funds received from guess where, Quebec offers this service with limitations (single embryo transplant only) for free to it's residents.

Anyways friends, if you are looking for somewhere to make a charitable donation next year or feel like maybe this or part of these services should be covered by health care please, please sign the petition or make what donation you can for a family that only wants to love their child. Thank you for if you took the time to read this all.

BTW we are expecting a healthy little boy in the next couple of weeks and could not be happier about it. So happy to be having our baby that was five years in the making.

Petition :www.generationsofhope.ca/site/petition.php
To Donate:www.generationsofhope.ca/site/donate.php

bubba 96
05-07-2014, 11:11 AM
A buddy of mine and his wife spent 20g's, there little girl is going on 3, and her parents said it was the best cash they spent..

Norman
05-07-2014, 11:15 AM
First of all congrats on your coming baby, and also for talking about such a personal subject, I hope anyone needing guidance in this area finds your post. I'm also very happy a child will be entering such a loving home, with people that have gone to great lengths to bring a child into this world. Enjoy the joy!!

pikergolf
05-07-2014, 11:18 AM
All I have to say is CONGRATS to the both you. :sHa_shakeshout:

Ken07AOVette
05-07-2014, 11:19 AM
That is some story. :scared0015:

I am very glad things worked out for you in the end. I agree it is ridiculous that healthcare pays for the garbage they do and not the very important things in life, especially where you are concerned, making a new life.

My Mom was told the same thing in 1956 after my Sister was born, she would very likely never have another. It was stressful times, Dad's sister's husband just died and they stopped their lives to go run the farm for his sister.

12 years later in 1967 apparently things were happier, Mom said they were finally able to relax and start moving their own family ahead, and I was an oops.

Miracles do happen, I am very glad for you 3. All the best of luck.

silverdoctor
05-07-2014, 11:24 AM
Wow, quite the story is right. So you spent a pile of cash and all that was needed was some wine and extra fun to get pregnant?

Congrats by the way!

CaberTosser
05-07-2014, 11:38 AM
Good news, score one for the underdog!

If at first you don't succeed; try, try again :D. Hey, it beats the hell out of cleaning the eaves troughs.

Our first child came along quite easily, so far no second. Timing wise it looks like next week is the time to be a dutiful husband, but I'm also going away for the most likely time period, perhaps it will happen for us when I'm gone too! :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Heavy K
05-07-2014, 11:46 AM
We are still coming to terms that we are now faced with the prospect of two of you.

Backflips by age 3! Yeeha!

HK

Mistagin
05-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Congrats, and thanks for sharing your story.

I know several couples who are struggling with the same situation.
My sister was one of them. She and her husband finally adopted a girl.
Stories like yours are a 'light in the darkness' for them to hear!

My wife worked for a few years in a major fertility clinic back east, and she sometimes shared the stresses and struggles, as well as the joys of successes, couples like you went through to realize your dreams and desires.

Blessings to you, your wife and the little guy :)

CNP
05-07-2014, 12:07 PM
That is one special baby you have (all are special :)

For provinces to receive funding from the federally-administered Canadian Health and Social Transfers, they must follow the guidelines of the Canada Health Act (CHA) which requires provinces to fund “medically necessary” services, but it does not define what those are and there is no list of specific services.

If abortions/sex change operations are funded, there is no reason not to fund IVF. While very expensive to you and like you say, out of reach for some, it is small change in the context of the overall health care budget. AB taxpayers fund approx 12,000 abortions per year.

I'll sign, donate and send a message.

recce43
05-07-2014, 01:23 PM
we went through sort of the same thing my wife couldn't get pregnant so we adopted our first child she was four years old and had hell of a history .. she is 12 now and a honour roll student . just after we adopted her my wife got pregnant no stress trying for so long

Roughneck Country
05-07-2014, 02:58 PM
Congrats! My friends wife was the same they couldnt get pregnent then they adoped and immediatly she got prego. Shows how stress is such a huge factor in it

unclebuck
05-07-2014, 03:37 PM
We were very fortunate in the family respect. Both my wife & I were very much into our careers at the time and she did not want to work while she was raising kids. After five years of marriage, the "magic wand" got waved twice within two years and BANG, we had a son & a daughter. Best times of our lives, although trying at times when they were teens, but both are "pillars of the communities" that they live in, working like sled dogs during the day and volunteering to help those that are less fortunate than themselves on their time off. Chips off of the old block(mom).

FallAirFever
05-07-2014, 03:38 PM
Wow what an amazing story. Thank-you for having the courage to share it with us. My wife and I have four children and were blessed enough to not have any struggles getting pregnant, there was a time that I think all I had to do was look at her a certian way and bam here comes another kid.

Good for the two of you for sticking together on what must have been such a difficult journey. I am sure there are other people that are going through similar struggles that will read your story and find inspiration. Congrats on your son, all children are miracles, your a little more! In no time at all you will be wondering what life was like with out your son and your struggles will seem like a lifetime ago.

Okotokian
05-07-2014, 04:03 PM
I won't get into my thoughts on the government funding any number of proceedures, but good for you! Congratulations and best wishes for the future. Oh, and get lots of sleep in now my friend... :)

rugatika
05-07-2014, 05:38 PM
[QUOTE=Okotokian;2427940]I won't get into my thoughts on the government funding any number of proceedures, QUOTE]

I will. :)

Congrats on the successful landing, and I'm glad everything worked out.

As to gov't funding...lets concentrate on saving lives, etc. No offence meant, but this is one of those things that should not be gov't funded...along with non-medical abortions, sex changes, broken arms, and chit chatting because you're lonely.... etc etc.

Sorry to be the spoilsport here, but we need to get out from under this mentality that the government should be a source of funding for things we feel we're entitled to. Government money, is money that has been taken from people that work their bags off. It should not be spent like it falls from the sky.

Again, hope you don't take any offence to my remarks, and congrats and thx for sharing your story.

Fire away. :shark:

Wild&Free
05-07-2014, 08:02 PM
:sHa_shakeshout:

covey ridge
05-07-2014, 08:47 PM
reelhooker,
That was the best thing I have read today. Thanks for sharing. All the very best to you and your family.:)

6.5swedeforelk
05-07-2014, 09:25 PM
[QUOTE]

I will. :)

Congrats on the successful landing, and I'm glad everything worked out.

As to gov't funding...lets concentrate on saving lives, etc. No offence meant, but this is one of those things that should not be gov't funded...along with non-medical abortions, sex changes, broken arms, and chit chatting because you're lonely.... etc etc.

Sorry to be the spoilsport here, but we need to get out from under this mentality that the government should be a source of funding for things we feel we're entitled to. Government money, is money that has been taken from people that work their bags off. It should not be spent like it falls from the sky.

Again, hope you don't take any offence to my remarks, and congrats and thx for sharing your story.

Congratulations on the upcoming child!

I have to agree with Rugatika... what is wrong with just adopting an "unwanted" child?

lannie
05-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Congrats to you reelhooker and thanks fo the heart warming story.

reelhooker
05-08-2014, 05:06 AM
Deleted cause multi-quoting is hard for me :)

reelhooker
05-08-2014, 05:10 AM

reelhooker
05-08-2014, 05:13 AM
First off I would like to thank everyone for the best wishes.
Secondly I hope that I am ample to help the person who has contacted me with questions as it seems they are going through something similar.

I won't get into my thoughts on the government funding any number of proceedures, but good for you! Congratulations and best wishes for the future. Oh, and get lots of sleep in now my friend... :)

Thank you Oko for your self control, not everyone on this forum has the capabilities you are showing.

[QUOTE]

I will. :)As to gov't funding...lets concentrate on saving lives, etc. No offence meant, but this is one of those things that should not be gov't funded...along with non-medical abortions, sex changes, broken arms, and chit chatting because you're lonely.... etc etc.

Rug, I take no offense to your stance on public spending and social programs. I as we all do or at least should, have my own views on what and how public monies are spent or better yet misspent. I do agree that many things should be highly prioritized over others. What upsets me about why funding is not available for this type of situation is not so much that it isn't available but that it is available for other things which I(personal opinion like yours) feel should not receive funding so therefore why is it not available for this.

If you would like to take the time to start a thread on Social and/or Public funding programs and what your opinion is on them, I would be happy to share with you as well. We likely share many of the same thoughts. This however is not that thread.
Thank you for the congrats and best wishes to you.

Congratulations on the upcoming child!

I have to agree with Rugatika... what is wrong with just adopting an "unwanted" child?

There is nothing at all wrong with adopting an unwanted child. I never said that and never would. We looked and put ourselves on a list for adoption and where beginning to go through the procedures. But it was our last choice.
This thread was not posted to see if you agreed with our families choice.
There are many beautiful children that need to find families to love.
Please take note that adoption is not a choice to take lightly. Not that making a baby is either. There are many issues with adoption in our "modern world". If you look at the chances of receiving a child with FAS or other significant issues you would likely be surprised as the numbers are scary high. There is also a significant wait time (around two years) to receive said child depending on the type of adoption you are looking for. But as we said this is an option we considered and will likely consider again in the future as we know that we want more then one :)
Perhaps you would like to start a thread where this is the topic and others can feel free to agree/disagree with the actual topic there. I am sure you will find many contributors.
Thank you for the congrats :) Best wishes.

rwm1273
05-08-2014, 07:37 AM
Congratulations.

My wife is about to go on chlomid. I hope she does not have the same issues your wife had. We have done 2 rounds of IUI so far, but hoping third time is the charm. But we do have a weekend getaway planned this weekend just in case.

reelhooker
05-08-2014, 08:03 AM
Congratulations.

My wife is about to go on chlomid. I hope she does not have the same issues your wife had. We have done 2 rounds of IUI so far, but hoping third time is the charm. But we do have a weekend getaway planned this weekend just in case.

Best of luck to you and your wife. Chlomid is a strong drug and J hope for both of you that it effects both of you less then it did us.

Snowdog
05-08-2014, 08:29 AM
our fertility Dr said stress is the second best contraceptive after abstinence, most of his patients (including us) are so stressed by the time they end up in his office they will never get pregnant, he said in more than 1/2 his cases all he does is have a chat and order a bunch of tests and tell them of the options based on the tests, he said usually the news there is nothing/very little wrong and the thought that something is being done is enough to relax and conceive.

JB_AOL
05-08-2014, 08:53 AM
Congrats...

I 100000% agree with the stress thing.

Couples can put alot of stress on each other when it comes to this.

I know lots of people that have gone the same route you have, only to have doctors tell them there's no chance, so they've done the expensive thing (I believe it was upwards of $10g/try), others have adopted, and in all cases, they end up having another kid (natural way), later on.

Doctor's should be telling people to use the $10g to go on a relaxing/spa trip..

cricketlakehunter
05-08-2014, 08:54 AM
Reelhooker, thank you for sharing and congrats for being successful! My wife and I have been trying for two years, and we are just waiting for the referral to come back from the fertility clinic. All initial tests from our family dr show nothing abnormal. I agree that stress is our biggest enemy. She has wanted to be a mom for as long as she can remember and it is taking a toll on her.

brownbomber
05-08-2014, 09:01 AM
My sister has spent lots of money (try approaching 6 figures) to have a baby, no luck and she's past 40 now so that's something she will never know, I on the other hand have never tried more than a month to make a little me, the first and the last were only one

6.5swedeforelk
05-08-2014, 09:36 AM
Please take note that adoption is not a choice to take lightly. Not that making a baby is either. There are many issues with adoption in our "modern world". If you look at the chances of receiving a child with FAS or other significant issues you would likely be surprised as the numbers are scary high. There is also a significant wait time (around two years) to receive said child depending on the type of adoption you are looking for. But as we said this is an option we considered and will likely consider again in the future as we know that we want more then one :)
Perhaps you would like to start a thread where this is the topic and others can feel free to agree/disagree with the actual topic there. I am sure you will find many contributors.
Thank you for the congrats :) Best wishes.

Thank you for your reply, ReelHooker.

I had mentioned adoption because this would be my first option.

I include your above quote to add that in all my posts to this forum I attempt to restrict myself to topics of which I have some knowledge.

Yes, my wife & I have gone through the adoption process, and we did check the box approving the acceptance of a "special needs child".

The process and assimilation went so well I now have to think to pick that child out of our 4 , yes four, later born children!

So here's wishing the Reelhooker family the same blessing and large family!!

booboo74
05-08-2014, 09:38 AM
Congrats.

I hope stories like these make us all think twice about ever saying comments like "when are you going to have a baby". I've always found those rude on many levels.

Jack&7
05-08-2014, 10:36 AM
RH...

Wow...kinda wish I had read your story before meeting you last night! Congrats, Man! I am glad to see a happy ending for this story and I am sure you guys will do great. And seriously, I got the impression from talking to you last night that you and I are very similar in a lot of ways...there will be challenges that will come your way very soon and I can share some hard lessons learned.

If you need a little "new dad" advice anytime, feel free to ask. I am now a pro.

BTW...Since you won't be needing your hunting spot this year, mind if I take it??

:bad_boys_20:

reelhooker
05-08-2014, 11:09 AM
RH...

Wow...kinda wish I had read your story before meeting you last night! Congrats, Man! I am glad to see a happy ending for this story and I am sure you guys will do great. And seriously, I got the impression from talking to you last night that you and I are very similar in a lot of ways...there will be challenges that will come your way very soon and I can share some hard lessons learned.

If you need a little "new dad" advice anytime, feel free to ask. I am now a pro.

BTW...Since you won't be needing your hunting spot this year, mind if I take it??

:bad_boys_20:

Thanks . I may be calling you up on that offer sooner then you know. And as far as the hunting spot, if you can find it, you can use it. ;) but I am still booked for two weeks at elk camp and moose camp. Got the mother in law and my mother stepping up to stay with the first wife while I'm gone.

reelhooker
05-08-2014, 11:15 AM
Thank you for your reply, ReelHooker.

I had mentioned adoption because this would be my first option.

I include your above quote to add that in all my posts to this forum I attempt to restrict myself to topics of which I have some knowledge.

Yes, my wife & I have gone through the adoption process, and we did check the box approving the acceptance of a "special needs child".

The process and assimilation went so well I now have to think to pick that child out of our 4 , yes four, later born children!

So here's wishing the Reelhooker family the same blessing and large family!!

I appreciate you speaking on a subject you are educated on. A rarity in some places. We find a lot of people with whom we have "gotten advice from" believe that "just adopt" one is something like picking out a car.
I am happy that it worked out so well for you and that you did open yourselves to the option of providing a loving family for a "special needs" child. Not many people have the same strength that you and your wife have.
Thank you for your blessings and we wish you the best.

RH

reelhooker
05-08-2014, 11:29 AM
Congrats.

I hope stories like these make us all think twice about ever saying comments like "when are you going to have a baby". I've always found those rude on many levels.

You are so absolutely right about this. And watching your wife hold back tears at family functions makes you stop going to them...
"When it happens" is the best answer in my opinion. but it is exceptionally rude.

As well as when couples are trying with these procedures they don't share it, being let down when it does not work is something you don't want to relive every time you need to explain the results to others. While on Chlomid the wife cannot/should not be drinking. Which immediatley leads to every other person in the room asking if they are pregnant. I guess myob is a thing of the past
So Please people Do not ask others when they are having kids, and if a woman who is not VISIBLY pregnant is not drinking, Assume she is on antibiotics.

The only thing worse has been having a family member who WAS aware of our situation constantly complain about the burden of having their beautiful children. Having to listen to the "you're so lucky you can just go away or don't have to find a baby sister or got a good nights sleep" was horrible. Eventually I did lose it on that person and by God it felt good.