PDA

View Full Version : Quick reminder about using chains for towing

Geezle
05-07-2014, 01:44 PM
When they break bad things can happen.

Fortunately when this one let go it only hit the boss's bumper and took out his backup sensor thingy.

First pic is a spot that looks ready to break and the second is where it did actually break.

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/20140507_131142_zpsqhelxxar.jpg (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/GeezleHerps/media/20140507_131142_zpsqhelxxar.jpg.html)

http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii181/GeezleHerps/20140507_131409_zpsjtyg5ve3.jpg (http://s264.photobucket.com/user/GeezleHerps/media/20140507_131409_zpsjtyg5ve3.jpg.html)

Zip
05-07-2014, 02:06 PM
Thank you..A very good reminder for all of us as i would guess alot of us here find us having to tow something out of a problem from time to time...use straps not chains.

Silverado04
05-07-2014, 02:08 PM
When they break bad things can happen.

Fortunately when this one let go it only hit the boss' bumper and took out his backup sensor thingy.

First pic is a spot that looks ready to break and the second is where it did actually break.

Was pulling my brother's truck out of a snow bank a few months ago, and SNAP. The hefty steel karabiner with a couple links came flying through the open rear windshield of my truck right past my face looking back at it and claimed my front windshield.

I bought a proper towing strap a few hours later. I will never make that mistake again. Would have been a bad scene if the trajectory was a few inches to the left... Embarassing story to admit, but if it makes someone buy a proper strap...

Geezle
05-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Was pulling my brother's truck out of a snow bank a few months ago, and SNAP. The hefty steel karabiner with a couple links came flying through the open rear windshield of my truck right past my face looking back at it and claimed my front windshield.

I bought a proper towing strap a few hours later. I will never make that mistake again. Would have been a bad scene if the trajectory was a few inches to the left... Embarassing story to admit, but if it makes someone buy a proper strap...
Yikes! That's why chains and ropes with hooks scare me! Glad it was only the windshield that got it.

For anybody who needs one I picked up a good 2"x30' recovery strap on sale for $30 at Princess Auto on Saturday.

diamonddave
05-07-2014, 02:22 PM
Always Always Always..... hang a heavy coat or sweater off the rope or cable or chain. It will help drop the tow rope down instead of back into the tow vehicle.

Silverado04
05-07-2014, 02:25 PM
Always Always Always..... hang a heavy coat or sweater off the rope or cable or chain. It will help drop the tow rope down instead of back into the tow vehicle.

The most embarrassing part was that I knew that too. Too lazy to go and get one. I mean I'm already here, right? Foolish.

Geezle
05-07-2014, 02:43 PM

The most embarrassing part was that I knew that too. Too lazy to go and get one. I mean I'm already here, right? Foolish.
Very good advice, and we knew better too, but we still went ahead and did it. :1041:

catnthehat
05-07-2014, 02:59 PM
Always pays to use a snubber on the end of the chain!
Cat

buckbrushoutdoors
05-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Use the proper grade and size chain and that will never happen I've made thousands of lifts with chain without a single incident. But I hate chain I'll take poly slings all day long. Chain is old school and has very little stretch during shock loading.

bubba 96
05-07-2014, 03:19 PM

X20000 same deal with your quad winch....

Brimo
05-07-2014, 03:54 PM
good reminder....maintenance and awareness are key.

dgl1948
05-07-2014, 04:09 PM
Thank you..A very good reminder for all of us as i would guess alot of us here find us having to tow something out of a problem from time to time...use straps not chains.

We have two people in town that have been brain damaged using straps. One of them the hook broke and came through the back window, stuck his head and carried on through the front window. The second one the hook let go and came through the back window. I am not sure why the hook let go.

220swifty
05-07-2014, 04:51 PM
We have two people in town that have been brain damaged using straps. One of them the hook broke and came through the back window, stuck his head and carried on through the front window. The second one the hook let go and came through the back window. I am not sure why the hook let go.

If you're using one with a hook, you're essentially using a spring assisted chain. I prefer the slings with loop ends, no flying metal unless it's part of the vehicle.

YeeHaw
05-07-2014, 04:55 PM

Probably the best advice given. Had a "J" hook fail on me two years ago while winching a one ton out of the ditch on the QE2, and took the winch line to the knees, if it wasnt for the basket strap I hung on it, It would have been in my head.

gpgriz
05-07-2014, 05:24 PM
Always pays to use a snubber on the end of the chain!
Cat

All I could find detailed was either electrical related or nautical related.

Could you elaborate on your towing related snubber?

Grizzly Adams
05-07-2014, 06:10 PM
Use the proper grade and size chain and that will never happen I've made thousands of lifts with chain without a single incident. But I hate chain I'll take poly slings all day long. Chain is old school and has very little stretch during shock loading.

That one looks pretty flimsy for the job. :D

Grizz

dantonsen
05-07-2014, 06:26 PM
hmmmm, I dont think it has anything to do with chain or slings.

If your trying to drag a pick up out of the ditch with another 6000lb pickup and you are jerking on a under rated chain it isn't going to be safe.

Grab a 25 000lb chain and you will leave your bumper on the ground before you get links in the head

Even a tow strap is tricky... cant use hooks and you cant use a strap that is stronger than what you anchor it to or the anchor becomes a sling shot projectile.

Soft chain is pretty decent when it breaks, the grade 70 and 80 stuff that explodes when it goes is kinda hairy:)

catnthehat
05-07-2014, 06:52 PM
A snubber is used on the ends of a steel cable or chain when they are used for towing to absorb the shock .
But even then if the cable or chain is shock loaded past the safe working load of the riggin '
possible failure and injury is possible.
Cat

winmag
05-07-2014, 08:11 PM
:)

Flanny
05-07-2014, 10:05 PM
I always use a strap that's de-rated on the end of my chain. That way when it's fraying or wearing down I only have to replace a 2' or 3' strap rather than a 50'.
Those get expensive.

Plus, the strap is rated for less than my chain so when it fails, the strap parts not the chain.

Flanny

moose maniac
05-07-2014, 10:25 PM
Don't tow from a ball either I saw seen a ball break off and launch through a back window.