PDA

View Full Version : Suncor Employee Killed by Bear

bwackwabbit
05-07-2014, 07:08 PM
Tragic...

http://www.leaderpost.com/touch/story.html?id=9816836

troutbug
05-07-2014, 07:10 PM
wow thats horrible. Wonder who she worked for exactly, when I worked up that way you were not allowed to work alone most places

catnthehat
05-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Got a text from one of my HR contacts a few hours ago but no solid details yet.
If I do find out anything I will post it here.
This is certainly a tragic blow for the lady's friends and family.
It is also the very first fatality I have heard of in this area concerning a bear!:confused:
Cat

troutbug
05-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Got a text from one of my HR contacts a few hours ago but no solid details yet.
If I do find out anything I will post it here.
This is certainly a tragic blow for the lady's friends and family.
It is also the very first fatality I have heard of in this area concerning a bear!:confused:
Cat

I have had ALOT of run ins with bears all over fort mcmurray work sites. Even a momma and cubs, they never showed interest in humans. So to hear this is shocking and horrible.

Pagespirit
05-07-2014, 07:16 PM
Tragic, God Bless her and the familyj

north american hunter
05-07-2014, 07:21 PM
Very sad, condolences to her family and friends.

cochranenite
05-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Got a txt from buddy that's going into work tonight , she got charged mauled while coming back from the washroom to the lunch room. I use to work in that area and we always see bears. The guys that where in the lunch room tried to fight off the bear and they said the screams where something else.

Flight01
05-07-2014, 07:40 PM
Very sad and sobering. Up north we have tons of encounters but this was a very different outcome. I was at Suncor Today and left site at 2pm. A very real incident

Popcan
05-07-2014, 07:53 PM
This is horrific ! God darn shame.

winmag
05-07-2014, 07:56 PM
Sorry for the woman' s death and for her family , it must have been horrific ... part of safety for some remote bush workers would be to educate about black bears they are like a ghost, buddy system , bear spray etc. may be they already do?..... for you older guys you will remember the rig deaths in the Zama , Rainbow Lake area the 150 pound black bear pulled one of the deceased out of a tree and he was a big man.. such power, you would hardly stand a chance if a bear was serious.

Kurt505
05-07-2014, 07:59 PM
Wow!!! I honestly never would have thought something like this would happen. Hard to believe.

Lone_Wolf
05-07-2014, 08:00 PM
I agree with Kurt, this is one of those things you don't think will happen. Extremely tragic. :(

southernman
05-07-2014, 08:01 PM
Condolences to her family and co workers, been a bad year so far for work deaths at Suncor,

zero
05-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Sorry for the woman' s death and for her family , it must have been horrific ... part of safety for some remote bush workers would be to educate about black bears they are like a ghost, buddy system , bear spray etc. may be they already do?..... for you older guys you will remember the rig deaths in the Zama , Rainbow Lake area the 150 pound black bear pulled one of the deceased out of a tree and he was a big man.. such power, you would hardly stand a chance if a bear was serious.

black bears can be vicious, RIP.

for anyone else wondering

Lee Randal Morris, 44, male
Carol Marshall, 24, female August 14, 1980

it was near Zama City, Alberta Morris and Marshall were killed by the same bear in separate attacks over a span of two hours. They were working at a remote oil drilling camp cantex rig 10 details http://books.google.ca/books?id=3UAJLwn8wkkC&pg=PT208&lpg=PT208&dq=Carol+Marshall+zama&source=bl&ots=0LGJtb4lWQ&sig=WElvfTYboK-_k458JBPTY3AP8Nk&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0exqU6DcD8mayASWs4LoBw&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=Carol%20Marshall%20zama&f=false

Jims71duster
05-07-2014, 08:57 PM
Got a email from site at around 430 ish saying she was walking down the stairs of a wash car in area 82 when the bear drug her down and started to eat, workers tried air horns and rocks but the bear would not stop. Horrible,, condolences to all her family and co workers.

Selkirk
05-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Wow!!! I honestly never would have thought something like this would happen. Hard to believe.

Agreed ^ ... hard to believe! :scared0015:

Mac

astepanuk
05-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Very sad forsure. She was infact a Suncor employee I infact was in the same lay down over 10years ago when a bear walked into our lunchroom. It was trapped and re located.

toomanyhobbies
05-07-2014, 11:38 PM
Brutal. Condolences to her family. Hope Suncor gets sued to hell and gone. Air horns and rocks? What stupid Gaia-worshipper thought that it would be a good idea to put people in bear country with no means of defence?

CBintheNorth
05-07-2014, 11:40 PM
Very, very sad news. Condolences to all who knew her.

Smokinyotes
05-07-2014, 11:43 PM
Terrible news. Glad they shot the bear. If they hadn't it probably would attack again.

troutbug
05-07-2014, 11:45 PM
Terrible news. Has anyone shot the bear?

article says they shot it as it was still in the area

troutbug
05-07-2014, 11:47 PM
Brutal. Condolences to her family. Hope Suncor gets sued to hell and gone. Air horns and rocks? What stupid Gaia-worshipper thought that it would be a good idea to put people in bear country with no means of defence?

I have worked on many sites up north, they have bird cannons, air horns etc etc but the bears get used to them. Once you see first hand the detestation caused by the mining their then you will wonder why more attacks dont happen. I have had more encounters with bears up that way then I can even remember. Most of the time the bears have done there own thing, looking for garbage etc etc. I was working for a big company contracting to Shell, one day the site super said, and I quote *we try not to make a fuss about bears in the area and do what we can to scare them off because if they become an issue in the area they will shut this part of the site down*

It was only a matter of time before this happened, very very sad, I just hope it was quick, thats no way to go

Last time I was up there I pulled into the laydown and a blackbear was literally sniffing the back pocket of a mechanic working on a machine, I laid on the horn and floored it towards the bugger, should have seen the face of the mechanic once he saw what was behind him

Luxor
05-07-2014, 11:53 PM

It's not really hard to believe if you know that camps are set up in wilderness areas with no fencing. Some sites are huge.
Wild animals frequent sites and enter lunch trailers quite often.
Any job in the wilderness has risks of wildlife encounters.

Horrible encounter and a terrible way to die.
Extremely sad to say the least. :(

bill9044
05-08-2014, 12:17 AM
Itst oil companies put thier staff through a bear awareness training. Also like the coyote black bears have thrived under humans expansion into the wilderness.
It is a shame that it happened. Probably a electric bear fence will now be put up around all camps. You know reactive instead of proactive.

Also my mom lived in yellow knife in the early 70's she was told that when " that time of the month" happened she was not to venture around the city by herself. Due to polar bears. am not trying to cause a huge debate but many factors could have prevented this tragedy. Hopefully precautions are taken to rectify any short comings.

3blade
05-08-2014, 12:29 AM
Condolences to the family. At least the offending bear was dealt with, it's not much in the face of such tragedy, but better than having it loose.

Stay safe out there people.

HunterDave
05-08-2014, 12:39 AM
Terrible news. My condolences go out to the lady's family.

barsik
05-08-2014, 01:32 AM
the bear that killed her was most likely a rogue male. males come out of hibernation and they are very hungry and will attack and eat humans. females have cubs to nurture and their metabolism is a bit different. at this time of year, berries, greens, insects, and other food sources are not available, and they will attack. the only way to stop them is by killing them. condolences to the woman's family and friends.

pickrel pat
05-08-2014, 01:33 AM
Itst oil companies put thier staff through a bear awareness training. Also like the coyote black bears have thrived under humans expansion into the wilderness.
It is a shame that it happened. Probably a electric bear fence will now be put up around all camps. You know reactive instead of proactive.

Also my mom lived in yellow knife in the early 70's she was told that when " that time of the month" happened she was not to venture around the city by herself. Due to polar bears. am not trying to cause a huge debate but many factors could have prevented this tragedy. Hopefully precautions are taken to rectify any short comings.

I think they were pulling your moms leg. yellowknife is a huge distance from the ocean. There is black bear and a few barren ground grizzly around though....

1899b
05-08-2014, 05:48 AM
You get complacent. I worke on that site as well as Syncrude. Used to laugh when I would go throw the garbage out and a bear popped his head out of the big metal bin. At Coal Valley we had Grizz all over the place. It was nothing to be working on something and have your back to a Grizz 50 to 75 yards away with cubs even. Dad worke at Suncor for 32 years . One year his shift woke a bear out if it's den with a D9 an the bear came out swinging knocking the perma frost off the dozer blade. Seeing a bear on these sites is commonplace like seeing a neighbours cat in your back yard. Tragic but bound to happen. RIP

catnthehat
05-08-2014, 06:35 AM

You obviously know nothing about UHF near sets tends progrAm Sunvor has in
Place or where this happened this was not done remote well dire it was the middle of plant 82.
This bear was also hit with bear spray a fire extinguisher and a shovel ,
Nothing short of a bullet was going to stop it.
Cat

Precisionshooter
05-08-2014, 07:46 AM
Did this hit the news? Happened yesterday.

Precisionshooter
05-08-2014, 07:47 AM
Cbc.ca

Helim
05-08-2014, 08:02 AM
On news right now

Kurt505
05-08-2014, 08:06 AM
It's not really hard to believe if you know that camps are set up in wilderness areas with no fencing. Some sites are huge.
Wild animals frequent sites and enter lunch trailers quite often.
Any job in the wilderness has risks of wildlife encounters.

Horrible encounter and a terrible way to die.
Extremely sad to say the least. :(

I meant it's hard to believe because I grew up there and have had many bear run ins, as have so many others. I guess it's just something taken for granted that they are a real threat when they are such a common animal to encounter, usually with no consequences.

I remember another thread not long ago when 1899b was given a hard time for packing a gun while fishing the back country.

Not such a stupid idea now huh....

1899b
05-08-2014, 08:17 AM
I meant it's hard to believe because I grew up there and have had many bear run ins, as have so many others. I guess it's just something taken for granted that they are a real threat when they are such a common animal to encounter, usually with no consequences.

I remember another thread not long ago when 1899b was given a hard time for packing a gun while fishing the back country.

Not such a stupid idea now huh....

Terrible Tragedy.

astepanuk
05-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Very Tragic we just have a debriefing about the incident.

Torkdiesel
05-08-2014, 08:59 AM
Hungry bears and no feed yet. Too bad about the young lady that was killed :(

LocalHunter
05-08-2014, 09:04 AM
Too bad

Kurt505
05-08-2014, 09:18 AM
Terrible Tragedy.

Brewer just texted me, it is her..... :(

retten
05-08-2014, 09:24 AM
My Condolences

Sooner
05-08-2014, 09:24 AM
Condolences to the family and friends.

JohninAB
05-08-2014, 09:32 AM
My thots and prayers are with all the loved ones left to mourn her loss.

May she RIP!

Lost a former co-worker in much the same way. Stepped out of a trailer on a site and black bear was there and that was it. Chris you were taken way too young.

1899b
05-08-2014, 09:33 AM
Brewer just texted me, it is her..... :(

Yup. Confirmed..... :( She was working for Design Group as an Instrument Tech. RIP LW......

greylynx
05-08-2014, 09:42 AM
My prayers for the young lady. I hope she did not leave any children behind.
Her family is suffering enough.

Does anyone know where the necropsy on the bear is being performed?

Probability states it was a young boar.

wags
05-08-2014, 09:59 AM
My condolences to friends, family and co-workers. A terrible tragedy.

RIP

rugatika
05-08-2014, 10:49 AM
My condolences to her family.

Almost every oil company I've worked for has a no firearms policy. ..."Make sure you have your bear banger!"

Dick284
05-08-2014, 10:55 AM
This bear was also hit with bear spray a fire extinguisher and a shovel ,
Nothing short of a bullet was going to stop it.
Cat

And let me guess, there is a no firearms policy on site!

Suncor should be feeling the rath, for selecting socially motivated feel good rule making, right about now!

I've been through industry bear awareness training, and when I pointed out some fatal flaws in the program to the presenter, he dismissed, my 20+ years of close encounters with bears through hunting, as hearesy.

troutbug
05-08-2014, 11:04 AM
My condolences to her family.

Almost every oil company I've worked for has a no firearms policy. ..."Make sure you have your bear banger!"

I know a few field operator who can take guns with them becasue they work alone, outside alot

Luxor
05-08-2014, 11:06 AM
And let me guess, there is a no firearms policy on site!

Suncor should be feeling the rath, for selecting socially motivated feel good rule making, right about now!

I've been through industry bear awareness training, and when I pointed out some fatal flaws in the program to the presenter, he dismissed, my 20+ years of close encounters with bears through hunting, as hearesy.

The oil industry is famous for sweeping bad encounters and press under the rug and they have the high level legal means and money to do so.

But I can only hope that this fatal encounter will produce some serious actions to protect the worker's in all wilderness work fields :confused:

Again a very tragic event.

rugatika
05-08-2014, 11:17 AM
I know a few field operator who can take guns with them becasue they work alone, outside alot

I know lots of field operators, surveyors, etc that do take guns with them because they work alone...against company policy.

What's easier for a company to deal with in terms of publicity? A dead bear killed by an evil oil company or an oil field worker killed by a bear. I'm guessing Suncor will get in way less crapola over this than Syncrude did over the ducks. Not the way it should be...but the way it is.

1899b
05-08-2014, 11:17 AM
The oil industry is famous for sweeping bad encounters and press under the rug and they have the high level legal means and money to do so.

But I can only hope that this fatal encounter will produce some serious actions to protect the worker's in all wilderness work fields :confused:

Yup big time. Back in January, JC shouldn't have been by himself in the area he was where he drowned in tailings at Suncor. Work alone policy was not followed. Suncor has three deaths now to muddle their way through....

Suncor site isn't much of a wilderness area. Its a site that has 14000 employees. Don't mistake this for some remote rig or work camp situation. This, I guarantee is a bear that others saw over and over and probably tossed their sandwiches at. No different than tourists in Jasper. When i worked their it was a novelty to see a bear and we thought nothing of it. No attempts were made to remove them through Fish and Wildlife. But sooner or later.....

elkdump
05-08-2014, 11:28 AM

September 2002 a male worker on a Rig Site was killed by a bear in NorthEast BC, that company to THIS day FORBIDS ANY firearm possession by employees and back up the policy with TERMINATION of employment if worker is found possessing a firearm while on job-site,in company vehicles or company property,,,

they(the employer) provide/require Bear Aware Safety Coarse and that gets them off the hook, due diligence , more BS, a whitewash and hire another idiot !

1899b
05-08-2014, 11:30 AM
I know lots of field operators, surveyors, etc that do take guns with them because they work alone...against company policy.

What's easier for a company to deal with in terms of publicity? A dead bear killed by an evil oil company or an oil field worker killed by a bear. I'm guessing Suncor will get in way less crapola over this than Syncrude did over the ducks. Not the way it should be...but the way it is.

This isnt an oilfield situation. Its like walking in town and you see a bear.
Both Suncor and Syncrude are like small cities.....

A surveyor or field operator out in Drayton Valley or West of Edson by himself isn't even a comparable situation to what happened to this lady. Apples and oranges. Lets keep things in perspective here folks.....

brownbomber
05-08-2014, 11:36 AM

A surveyor or field operator out in Drayton Valley or West of Edson by himself isn't even a comparable situation to what happened to this lady. Apples and oranges. Lets keep things in perspective here folks.....

Could not be more true

troutbug
05-08-2014, 11:38 AM

yes I know, iv worked on all those sites. Im just saying there are positions that allow you to carry firearms

grinr
05-08-2014, 12:07 PM
Tragic for certain,and do we really need posters to elaborate on the details?Out of respect for the family,the media hasn't released details,I think it goes without saying it must have been horrific....nuff said.
And out of curiosity,why was this topic moved from General to Hunting discussion,it has absolutely ZERO to do with hunting.

1899b
05-08-2014, 12:08 PM
Tragic for certain,and do we really need posters to elaborate on the details?Out of respect for the family,the media hasn't released details,I think it goes without saying it must have been horrific....nuff said.
And out of curiosity,why was this topic moved from General to Hunting discussion,it has absolutely ZERO to do with hunting.

Agreed.....

Ice Fishing Maniac
05-08-2014, 12:13 PM
On a job site today, and during the Hazard Assessment, wildlife was brought up and especially bears - making a direct reference to this tragic event.

Very sad.

bosshog
05-08-2014, 12:16 PM
Very sad to hear.

Team Anzac
05-08-2014, 07:52 PM
Ive known this family since 1978, the oldest son is a good friend of mine. Hits way to close to home. Thoughts and prayers go out to the Weafer family.

catnthehat
05-08-2014, 08:06 PM

When was it moved?
This isn't the hunting section
Cat

.330 Dakota
05-08-2014, 11:40 PM
I am a "wildlife moniter" and I work for a company in BC that provides protection services for the oil/gas/forestry indusries. We as guards are armed with radios, horns, bangers, spray, and shotguns with slugs. Our goal is to use non lethal methods in the event of a encounter, but in that situation the use of the shotgun would be priority 1. I am surprised SunCor doesnt use us,,as this service goes a long way toward preventing this type or tragdity.
Our industry service is growing in leaps and bounds as these companies become more aware that these are real dangers and not just stories.

sikwhiskey
05-09-2014, 02:22 AM
September 2002 a male worker on a Rig Site was killed by a bear in NorthEast BC, that company to THIS day FORBIDS ANY firearm possession by employees and back up the policy with TERMINATION of employment if worker is found possessing a firearm while on job-site,in company vehicles or company property,,,

they(the employer) provide/require Bear Aware Safety Coarse and that gets them off the hook, due diligence , more BS, a whitewash and hire another idiot !
Absolutely, nothing to see here.

Are you kidding me, not an Oilfield situation????? More like down town Edmonton????? Really? Its so noisy / busy bears just don't come around eh?

yes I know, iv worked on all those sites. Im just saying there are positions that allow you to carry firearms
I ve worked on many sites, also fired from many for having firearms.

On a job site today, and during the Hazard Assessment, wildlife was brought up and especially bears - making a direct reference to this tragic event.
Very sad.
What was the out come of that Hazard Assessment? What actions taken? what corrective measures implemented? Did you higher Fish Gunnar and his trusty fly rod, and spray?
This workers death was tragic and preventable, and should not have happened.. Period.

sikwhiskey
05-09-2014, 02:40 AM
I am a "wildlife moniter" and I work for a company in BC that provides protection services for the oil/gas/forestry indusries. We as guards are armed with radios, horns, bangers, spray, and shotguns with slugs. Our goal is to use non lethal methods in the event of a encounter, but in that situation the use of the shotgun would be priority 1. I am surprised SunCor doesnt use us,,as this service goes a long way toward preventing this type or tragdity.
Our industry service is growing in leaps and bounds as these companies become more aware that these are real dangers and not just stories.

Yep, even training onsite personal in the use of firearms. Dogs are mans best friend? Why not use them?
Horns, bangers and spray, good for 90% of the time on the first round, 50% the next etc.
Do you think the last thing to go through the victims head was: "I wish I had the means to defend myself"? Or was it, "Oh, your a hungry puppy, nice puppy". Or, I'm ****** because the right to defend myself has been legislated away from me and against company policy!
Crap like this drives me nuts, and is why I break rule's. Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6.

sikwhiskey
05-09-2014, 02:43 AM
Fish Gunnar……………
Where was your fly rod in time of need??????

fish gunner
05-09-2014, 05:58 AM
You get complacent. I worke on that site as well as Syncrude. Used to laugh when I would go throw the garbage out and a bear popped his head out of the big metal bin. At Coal Valley we had Grizz all over the place. It was nothing to be working on something and have your back to a Grizz 50 to 75 yards away with cubs even. Dad worke at Suncor for 32 years . One year his shift woke a bear out if it's den with a D9 an the bear came out swinging knocking the perma frost off the dozer blade. Seeing a bear on these sites is commonplace like seeing a neighbours cat in your back yard. Tragic but bound to happen. RIP

Human error. Sad out come to the fact bears were habituated. Not even close to a wilderness encounter . Did the poor lady instigate the encounter.
Rip the young woman .
Sw your posts kind of have a dance to them

NativeHunter
05-09-2014, 06:24 AM
Human error. Sad out come to the fact bears were habituated. Not even close to a wilderness encounter . Did the poor lady instigate the encounter.
Rip the young woman .

guys talk da talk till it happen to dem then u be packin 3030 evry where you go

1899b
05-09-2014, 06:42 AM

I have posted my stream fishing pics on this board and some have chastised me for packing a firearm. I have seen tons of bears in my past daily work days where i wasn't allowed to carry a firearm as it was against company regulation. I will continue to carry however when its on my time whether the kids and i are fishing, tenting or just out for a stroll in the woods.

I do feel it would be hard to coordinate and regulate people on staff that carry a firearm at places like Syncrude or Suncor. These sites are busier than downtown Fort McMurray on a Saturday afternoon at times and the conditions for the most part wouldnt be safe to start blazing away at a bear. Its a tough call.....

catnthehat
05-09-2014, 06:45 AM

Backwoods gangsta lingo ??!!
Cat

ESOXangler
05-09-2014, 07:11 AM
So if I carry a rifle at work do I require a hot permit? C'mon guys let's be realistic! Companies can't have you wandering around with a rifle, that's their policy don't like it don't work there. This is a terrible situation, may she rest in peace! And quit talking so tough out there!!!

CaberTosser
05-09-2014, 07:37 AM
Rip the young woman .

And your posts don't have a theme to them too? I can't imagine a more idiotic statement coming out of anyone's mouth/keyboard than what I've bolded in your quote, but it sure fits considering the source. The woman was dragged from a group of people and she's dead and you're postulating that she provoked the bear? The only 'provocation' was that she was probably the smallest of the group, and as such most any predators would target her first. You Sir are both an imbecile and a vile excuse for a human. Mods feel free to send me to the corner but I feel it's worth it in this instance.

P.S: It was a wilderness encounter, its just that the wilderness paid a visit to civilization.

1899b
05-09-2014, 07:40 AM
And your posts don't have a theme to them too? I can't imagine a more idiotic statement coming out of anyone's mouth/keyboard than what I've bolded in your quote, but it sure fits considering the source. The woman was dragged from a group of people and she's dead and you're postulating that she provoked the bear? The only 'provocation' was that she was probably the smallest of the group, and as such most any predators would target her first. You Sir are both an imbecile and a vile excuse for a human. Mods feel free to send me to the corner but I feel it's worth it in this instance.

X2!!!! For a person to even think that she may have provoked this attack is beyond my realm of comprehension. That is shameful.

Kurt505
05-09-2014, 07:54 AM
Rip the young woman .

Maybe fill your pockets with fish and go tree hug a bear.

The attack was deemed "predatory", it may be hard for some tree huggers to believe that bears aren't happy go lucky and all fluffy and cute.

Luxor
05-09-2014, 07:54 AM

P.S: It was a wilderness encounter, its just that the wilderness paid a visit to civilization.

I'm going to have to take your side on this one.
I just read gunner's comment and was floored with disbelief that such a comment could even be uttered. Pretty immature and callus to say the least.:(
These camps are in wilderness area's and just saw on the news that the young lady got attacked after she came out of the washroom. The bear was very aggressive and did not respond to any form's of defense by other's.

Gunner you owe the family an apology and a very expensive flower arrangement before lightening strikes.

elkhunter11
05-09-2014, 07:59 AM
X2!!!! For a person to even think that she may have provoked this attack is beyond my realm of comprehension. That is shameful.

X3, In the wake of such a horrible tragedy, the poster should be ashamed for posting something so idiotic.

fish gunner
05-09-2014, 08:46 AM

Im simply stating the bears on the site have been habituated . Im not implying the lady started the incounter ,simply suggesting a possible scenario.
Terrible situation . I am not getting any further into this tragedy . Sad day, condolences to loved ones and friends.

waterninja
05-09-2014, 08:54 AM
couple of points
... poster who suggests woman provoked bear should be ashamed of himself.
... can't imagine workers going around armed, but you would think that there would be some shotguns safely stored here and there with trained people with keys in case of emergency.
... suncor refinery in strath county flying their flags at half mast since yesterday.
... my daughter who has worked in ft. mac just told me that she heard a news report today saying officials aren't sure they shot the right bear. surely they have ways of determining if it was the offending bear. anyone hear more on this?

elkhunter11
05-09-2014, 08:55 AM
Im not implying the lady started the incounter

Then why post the stupid statement below?

Did the poor lady instigate the encounter.

Kurt505
05-09-2014, 08:56 AM
couple of points
... poster who suggests woman provoked bear should be ashamed of himself.
... can't imagine workers going around armed, but you would think that there would be some shotguns safely stored here and there with trained people with keys in case of emergency.
... suncor refinery in strath county flying their flags at half mast since yesterday.
... my daughter who has worked in ft. mac just told me that she heard a news report today saying officials aren't sure they shot the right bear. surely they have ways of determining if it was the offending bear. anyone hear more on this?

They are doing DNA testing

rugatika
05-09-2014, 09:00 AM
Human error. Did the poor lady instigate the encounter.

Yeah, I heard she was poking it with a fly rod and telling everyone that she had nothing to fear from bears.

How do you come up with this stuff? Another typing error?

elkhunter11
05-09-2014, 09:04 AM
. my daughter who has worked in ft. mac just told me that she heard a news report today saying officials aren't sure they shot the right bear. surely they have ways of determining if it was the offending bear. anyone hear more on this?

DNA testing is being conducted. The fact is that it is quite normal for there to be multiple bears around the plant sites. Given that fact, I still don't see the sense in not having at least a few firearms present on site, for security to use should a situation like this one arrive. In days gone by, it was common for employees to have firearms in their vehicles in the parking lot, so the employee could go hunting after their shift ended, but if it was discovered that you had a firearm in your vehicle in the parking lot today, you would be fired.

1899b
05-09-2014, 09:05 AM
I have often wondered how after a few hours of a chase or a stalk, the Fish and Wildlife Officer knows he has the right bear in his sights. DNA or not, they will never admit if they killed the wrong bear. That wouldn't bode well in the publics eyes. In all the accounts i have read in Western Canada where the bear was killed by F&W i have yet to read where there was an admission of the wrong bear killed. I take all that DNA testing with a grain of salt. So they DNA test and find out its the wrong one. Kill every bear till they find the right one? :thinking-006:

PartTimeHunter
05-09-2014, 09:05 AM
So if I carry a rifle at work do I require a hot permit? C'mon guys let's be realistic! Companies can't have you wandering around with a rifle, that's their policy don't like it don't work there. This is a terrible situation, may she rest in peace! And quit talking so tough out there!!!

I can't quote exact (maybe someone here can) but I believe there is something in Labour regs preventing guns in a workplace. I know in the patch it's in all of the oil company's policy manuals. I had an argument with an HR guy about this when developing my own manual.

elkhunter11
05-09-2014, 09:12 AM
I can't quote exact (maybe someone here can) but I believe there is something in Labour regs preventing guns in a workplace. I know in the patch it's in all of the oil company's policy manuals. I had an argument with an HR guy about this when developing my own manual.

Do the labor laws not apply to Cabelas, or Wholesale Sports, or the Wild West indoor range? Obviously, those work places have firearms present.

rugatika
05-09-2014, 09:15 AM
Do the labor laws not apply to Cabelas, or Wholesale Sports? Obviously, those work places have firearms present.

I'm pretty sure there have been a few companies I've worked for in the patch that don't have it in their orientation thingy. In fact when I took my PAL course (quite a few years ago granted), there were several people taking their PAL specifically for work up north, geologists it seems to me. AND, I'm pretty sure it's not in our company's manual either. :)

creeky
05-09-2014, 09:21 AM
Simply horrible situation. Best wishes for the family, and to the coworkers that where witness to it.

Creeky….

The Elkster
05-09-2014, 09:54 AM
Terrible tragedy. I wish the family peace in this tough time.

That said this is a pretty freak accident the last of which happened by black bear in AB in 1980's I believe. Terrible as it is we shouldn't go around making knee jerk decisions based on a one in a millions event. If they gave allowances for anyone to have a gun the net risk from a heated argument leading to a shooting would far exceed the risk of a fatal bear attack. Unfortunately there is no way to prevent every incident that can ever happen.

Even after this event I'd still be far far more worried about getting killed by a workplace accident or co-worker than by a bear. Let rational heads prevail.

sjd
05-09-2014, 10:32 AM
Horrible freak event. My sympathies to the family.

The Suncor base mine is an industrial site but there are lots of camps and sites in the bush where bear encounters are more likely.

Alberta has a long way to go to ensure full bear proofing of remote sites and garbage though (in my experience BC is way ahead) and this incident will hopefully stimulate much improvement in ways to keep people and bears safe. Not saying this happened in this case - but 150 dead bears last year suggests things are sloppy.

The discussion of firearms on site is just ludicrous. Its never going to happen. Can you imagine the health and safety risks of having people packing at work - would far outweigh any "wildlife protection" benefit. Prevention is the key.

pikeslayer22
05-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Question for anyone that knows...do the sites have security fence around the perimeters? Ie: 6 foot chain link with 3 barbs on top? I can't see a bear getting through or over one of them

troutbug
05-09-2014, 11:29 AM
Question for anyone that knows...do the sites have security fence around the perimeters? Ie: 6 foot chain link with 3 barbs on top? I can't see a bear getting through or over one of them

with how much the sites and mine expand, I cant see that being possible.

Even in the field, iv seen black and grizzly bears sneak up to within a few feet from people without them knowing

Luxor
05-09-2014, 11:39 AM

Minimal fencing in certain areas but are mostly to keep people out.
Most sites are miles wide in all directions.
Look online at some areal shots.

srp71
05-09-2014, 11:53 AM
I don't want to cause any disrespect on this page but there is a vile and discussing page started on FB under her name.I have been trying to get it taken down but have now been banned and blocked from it. Can anyone on here that knows her family maybe let them know and maybe they can have something done.or if enough people report it they may do something.my first attempt was removed within minutes but it has been hours now and FB isn't doing anything about it.If this is inappropriate please remove it.I apologise for havering to do this this way but I am at a dead end there and the family does not need to inadvertently stumble on it.

pikeslayer22
05-09-2014, 11:59 AM
Minimal fencing in certain areas but are mostly to keep people out.
Most sites are miles wide in all directions.
Look online at some areal shots.
The cost of doing business in remote locations...can't put a price tag on safety they say.

The Elkster
05-09-2014, 12:08 PM
There is always a limit regardless of feelings. What would the cost be of mandating that every company have a contingency for every 1 in a million plus event be? Keep in mind the consumer, as the original source of funds(limited funds I might add), always pay in the end. There is a limit to the safety we can maintain whilst still operating a sustainable system.

Luxor
05-09-2014, 12:11 PM
The cost of doing business in remote locations...can't put a price tag on safety they say.

so they say :rolleye2:

pikeslayer22
05-09-2014, 12:13 PM
I can see your point Elkster....but reading over the posts in this thread it would seem that the bear's on most of these sites are common place...so I would guess that the odds for this happening again are far from 1 in a million

qwert
05-09-2014, 12:32 PM

The camps are fenced as described, most also have controlled access that requires scanning ID to enter or leave. We question if they are to keep the wildlife out or in. The mine sites have similar access control, but most are not completely fenced. The open pit mines are a moonscape and support little wildlife other than that which lives under the lunchrooms, but the SAGD sites do not disturb the surface nearly as much and all forms of wildlife are common and seem to be able to co-exist. The areas with the most problems are the new mine areas where the prior residents are in the process of losing their habitat.

qwert
05-09-2014, 01:17 PM
Whether FG's comment (#66) was intentionally provocative or insensitive is open to speculation, but I would hope that a complete investigation will look at all the contributing factors including very possible poor garbage management near this lunchroom and habituation of both the wildlife and the workers. While feeding of wildlife is actively discouraged, the practice does occur and too often results in the death of the wildlife. I do not know if this unfortunate woman was involved or knowing of feeding leading to habituation, but she and her family may be victims of the consequence. RIP.

PartTimeHunter
05-09-2014, 02:07 PM
Do the labor laws not apply to Cabelas, or Wholesale Sports, or the Wild West indoor range? Obviously, those work places have firearms present.

Yes but that is in a different context. That's the nature of their business,they're all locked up, not loaded and what ever. Not saying that's right cause I never looked it up myself, just going by what the safety dude was telling me. And believe me we argued. All my vehicles are company vehicles - so how would I go hunting in the fall?
The thinking is: the employer is responsible for ensuring a safe workplace and having guns around (I know, I know) makes it theoretically unsafe. Because you just never know when someone is going to go postal and bring an AK to the lunch room. I realize that this doesn't really work because the loose cannon will just go home and get his/her favorite weapon of mass destruction and go back but ..... somehow the logic is that it won't happen. It makes one wonder how all those liberals breathe with their heads in the sand :thinking-006: or where ever...

elkhunter11
05-09-2014, 02:19 PM
Yes but that is in a different context. That's the nature of their business,they're all locked up, not loaded and what ever. Not saying that's right cause I never looked it up myself, just going by what the safety dude was telling me. And believe me we argued. All my vehicles are company vehicles - so how would I go hunting in the fall?
The thinking is: the employer is responsible for ensuring a safe workplace and having guns around (I know, I know) makes it theoretically unsafe. Because you just never know when someone is going to go postal and bring an AK to the lunch room. I realize that this doesn't really work because the loose cannon will just go home and get his/her favorite weapon of mass destruction and go back but ..... somehow the logic is that it won't happen. It makes one wonder how all those liberals breathe with their heads in the sand :thinking-006: or where ever...

At the Wild West indoor range, they make a living out of handing over firearms to strangers to load and shoot on the premises. If there was ever the opportunity for someone to go postal, that is certainly it.

Luxor
05-09-2014, 02:21 PM
I don't want to cause any disrespect on this page but there is a vile and discussing page started on FB under her name.I have been trying to get it taken down but have now been banned and blocked from it. Can anyone on here that knows her family maybe let them know and maybe they can have something done.or if enough people report it they may do something.my first attempt was removed within minutes but it has been hours now and FB isn't doing anything about it.If this is inappropriate please remove it.I apologise for havering to do this this way but I am at a dead end there and the family does not need to inadvertently stumble on it.

I'm not on FB but this sounds like a true form of lowlife behaviour.
I can only hope the FB management team acts on it ASAP!!!!!

casual observer
05-09-2014, 02:44 PM
You Sir are both an imbecile and a vile excuse for a human.

Well said and don't think you are alone in the thought. The mods here have taken out some trash recently though it seems this parcel was forgotten. The likes of Pesky and company are a scourge to the idea of this forum and this one is too. The sooner it is gone the better off this place will be.

I wonder how many of the good solid contributors that walked away from here did so because they were tired of this kind of garbage from these kinds of members?

1899b
05-09-2014, 02:44 PM
At the Wild West indoor range, they make a living out of handing over firearms to strangers to load and shoot on the premises. If there was ever the opportunity for someone to go postal, that is certainly it.

This has happened. However the incidents were where the person went postal on themselves in front of staff and customers.....

Kauna
05-09-2014, 03:08 PM
I'm going to have to take your side on this one.
I just read gunner's comment and was floored with disbelief that such a comment could even be uttered. Pretty immature and callus to say the least.:(
These camps are in wilderness area's and just saw on the news that the young lady got attacked after she came out of the washroom. The bear was very aggressive and did not respond to any form's of defense by other's.

Gunner you owe the family an apology and a very expensive flower arrangement before lightening strikes.

You right .. remember gunner is an IMPORT...

Bergerboy
05-09-2014, 03:11 PM
Electric bear fence around locations.

toomanyhobbies
05-09-2014, 03:35 PM
When I worked in Alaska, there were lots of security guys around with shotguns.

I agree there's no reason to carry on the jobsite unless you are working alone in a remote area, but guns need to be accessible to trained personnel at every wilderness facility, exactly for situations like this. Government scientists in the wilderness (Geological Survey) were issued revolvers and shotguns back in the 80's when I worked for Energy, Mines & Resources.

Your safety guy's "going postal" analogy is bull****. Again it's liberal feel-good, making rules that the criminals don't follow.

roper1
05-10-2014, 12:46 PM
I know a guy that works Horn River. ( NE BC ) Electric fence around all sites seems to be working.

wasteland.soldier
05-10-2014, 01:41 PM
Your safety guy's "going postal" analogy is bull****. Again it's liberal feel-good, making rules that the criminals don't follow.

When surrounded by heavy equipment and hydrocarbon containing pressure vessels, a sicko would hardly need a firearm if their burning desire was to kill a bunch of people.

Stinky Buffalo
05-14-2014, 10:38 AM
What a terrible tragedy - Condolences to the family and friends of this young woman. May she rest in peace.

Snm
05-14-2014, 02:00 PM
Its a shame that the work facility did not have the proper means of protection for their employees. I would have assumed an axe would have been available over a shovel? might **** it off and change its focus.:fighting0074:

Or..... and nice 300 winmag would have dropped it.

Such a tragic end.:(

MrDave
05-14-2014, 06:00 PM
This has to be one of the worst way of going. You go to work and have to watch out for every idiot on the crew. In a location like this, a bear should be conditioned th avoid humans, but due to no one hunting the immediate area.
If the wildlife knows that humans mean death, they stay away. Intruding into their lands means our paths are going to cross. Keep the wildlife wild was the best thing.
Condolences to the family, this is a sad event. Hopefully people learn to be better prepared.

Keep your eyes open and head up, it doesn't just apply to hockey.. Seems like people are forgetting who the land users used to be. If there are that many people around, that bear was picking its meal.

And yes Fish and Wildlife has had to go back and try again.

winmag
05-14-2014, 06:07 PM
time for all the oil companies to hire some pros to discretely take the bears out [ live trap or lethal ] or force them out with some Karelian dogs like they do in the parks... the logistics envoved the big guys can figure that out i am sure The bears were there first but the oil is gonna stay, sorry the bears gotta go... cannot believe management would tolerate ANY black bears in a large facility ,a confrontation was bound to happen .... same as i will not tolerate a bear in camp he will be dead end of story ... the only part of a normal bear you should see is the ass end heading south .. again sorry for the tragic death of the woman and the lose to her family .

CaberTosser
05-14-2014, 06:30 PM
I agree that some negative behavior reinforcement for the bears would likely result in them avoiding the areas. Some patrol fellows with bear dogs are exactly what I was also thinking of as a deterrent. I'm presently up at a Suncor site, but not the one where that incident occurred. Its a rare event to be certain, but now its in the statistics and as such it has to have control measures brought in/ modified/ tightened up, etc.