PDA

View Full Version : Chinese Pavement What Exactly Is It

Bergerboy
05-07-2014, 08:42 PM
I have gotten directions in the past using this term and the results have varied from cracked pavement to oiled gravel. Can someone clarify the meaning for me?

hal53
05-07-2014, 08:45 PM
I have gotten directions in the past using this term and the results have varied from cracked pavement to oiled gravel. Can someone clarify the meaning for me?
oiled road, cracked crappy overlay of the gravel= japanese pavement

tbiddy
05-07-2014, 09:22 PM
^^ yup. Heard it called Chinese pavement, Japanese pavement, Ukrainian pavement, Polish pavement. Think you get the jist.

denpacc
05-07-2014, 09:33 PM
What about Italian pavement? Oh wait, we'd use concrete, never mind. As you were...

trigger7mm
05-07-2014, 09:35 PM
Crappy old oil top road. All beat up, unmaintained, full of potholes....Chinese pavement. In Saskatchewan they call it the main highway.

HunterDave
05-07-2014, 10:55 PM
It's an asphalt mix with a lot more stone in it that's put down about 1/2" to 1" thick......kinda like a skim coat of low quality asphalt. If you are paying attention, you'll notice it if you leave a regularly paced main road and turn onto it.

bison
05-08-2014, 09:19 AM
May as well call it Canadian pavement :sign0161:

brownbomber
05-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Crappy old oil top road. All beat up, unmaintained, full of potholes....Chinese pavement. In Saskatchewan they call it the main highway.

Secondary highway is equivalent to twp rd here main highways even 16 are worse than 41 or 897 etc

gmcmax05
05-08-2014, 10:13 AM

You could call it Alberta pavement as well:sign0176:

brownbomber
05-08-2014, 10:20 AM
You could call it Alberta pavement as well:sign0176:

Don't even need a map or road signs to know you've crossed into saski

Smokey
05-08-2014, 11:50 AM
Is that what I drove this morning on the eastbound on the Yellowhead into Edmonton this morning. My Jeep can't take the abuse.:sign0176:

omega50
05-08-2014, 12:19 PM
You can dig down to China:)
Upside down
Soooooo
Upside down pavement-rock sticking out

jungleboy
05-08-2014, 12:25 PM

Every road in Alberta

Mb-MBR
05-08-2014, 08:56 PM

In Winnipeg we call them streets and avenues!!!!!!:sign0176:

jackrabbit000
05-08-2014, 08:58 PM
^^ yup. Heard it called Chinese pavement, Japanese pavement, Ukrainian pavement, Polish pavement. Think you get the jist.

...no pavement:sHa_sarcasticlol:

fordtruckin
05-08-2014, 09:26 PM
tire shops gotta do something to stay in business! nothing like pot holes and crappy pavement to ensure you get a few alignments every now n then!

densa44
05-08-2014, 11:27 PM
It is called chip seal, and the boys are right it adds no strength to the road surface.

It's role is for dust control and it works well for that.

sikwhiskey
05-09-2014, 02:53 AM
It's an asphalt mix with a lot more stone in it that's put down about 1/2" to 1" thick......kinda like a skim coat of low quality asphalt. If you are paying attention, you'll notice it if you leave a regularly paced main road and turn onto it.
It gets even better when the local Sask boys fill the pot holes with gravel
Every road in Alberta
You don't travel east much do you ?

Chewbacca
05-09-2014, 01:37 PM

I don't who ya are. That right there is funny,,,,and true. :)
A couple of years ago I went into northern Saskatchewan and after driving a few miles, oops, kilometers, I actually pulled over and looked at a map. I was convinced I had made a wrong turn and gotten onto a side road, nope, it was the main highway. Never before or since,have I traveled a main road that was so rough,brutal is the best way to describe it.

wwbirds
05-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Rode the bike to Sturgis a few years ago and decided to go visit my cousin in Regina on the way. Alberta was decent on highway #1 east but when I got to Saskatchewan the odd time they had bump ahead signs. South of Regina approaching the US if you didnt slow right down for these you could literally lose a Harley in some of these craters or at the very least get launched off the bike at any speed. Crossed into North Dakota and happened upon a "bump ahead" sign. slowed down and braced for what I expected would be a Saskatchewan sized crater in the road but it was a warning of the slight raised ridge between the concrete of the bridge and the asphalt of the road meeting.
Alberta has some pot holes, Saskatchewan has craters