PDA

View Full Version : Flint no more?

troutbug
05-08-2014, 12:46 PM
I heard that Flint shut down in Canada now? anyone hear about this?

Canadiandiesel
05-08-2014, 01:01 PM
Idk I just got back from a site they are on and they are still going strong from what It looks like

1899b
05-08-2014, 01:05 PM
It was brought up by one of our shop Foremen here at work this morning in fact. when URS came on scene they wanted to get out of the oilfield end if things. There is too much hearsay being tossed around currently to know what is true and not true at the moment. But something is indeed in the works big time....

bubba 96
05-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Buddy is a welder for flint, he is still out at camp...

IR_mike
05-08-2014, 01:21 PM
They are just switching everything over to URS.

Different name that is all.

troutbug
05-08-2014, 01:23 PM
On the oilfield rig moving group on facebook I just read they laid off a bunch of people and are shutting down the rig moving operations.

Time will tell I guess

1899b
05-08-2014, 01:31 PM
They are just switching everything over to URS.

Different name that is all.

No they are indeed shutting down some oilfield aspects. It has been URS ' intenmtions to do this since the buyout. Trust me. Stay tuned.....

hayseed
05-08-2014, 04:13 PM
Flint shut down all their rig moving operations.

AppleJax
05-08-2014, 05:13 PM
They are scaling back to focus more on the profitable ventures I would assume. They sold their safety division to HSE a couple years ago for exactly that reason.

IR_mike
05-08-2014, 05:41 PM
They are scaling back to focus more on the profitable ventures I would assume. They sold their safety division to HSE a couple years ago for exactly that reason.

So they are going to quit turning basic pipeline projects into overschedule, over budget disasters?

There sure will be a lot of burger flippers and puppy pooper scoopers available now for the workforce.

Icatchfish
05-08-2014, 05:50 PM
oh wow, I got a couple of buddy engineers working for them. I heard things are tough but never thought they would shut down. I guess we'll find out in a few days

mad mountain mike
05-08-2014, 06:46 PM
So they are going to quit turning basic pipeline projects into overschedule, over budget disasters?

There sure will be a lot of burger flippers and puppy pooper scoopers available now for the workforce.

That's funny because it's true. It wasn't that many years ago Flint couldn't buy a job. They almost disappeared in Alberta, then they just started buying up contractors that had the work. A lot of good contractors that were great to work for got swallowed up by that **** show.

leeaspell
05-08-2014, 07:04 PM
The pipeline guys have been running under the name URS for at least a year now, at least.

leeaspell
05-08-2014, 07:05 PM

No, it's still like that lol

pikehunter1989
05-08-2014, 07:10 PM
I work for flint (URS) up in cold lakes fabrication shop... URS took over flint a couple years ago and it became URS flint.. As of January 1st this year they changed the name to simply URS.

Team Anzac
05-08-2014, 07:21 PM
I heard that Flint shut down in Canada now? anyone hear about this?

Couldn't happen soon enough........

mad mountain mike
05-08-2014, 07:25 PM
I work for flint (URS) up in cold lakes fabrication shop... URS took over flint a couple years ago and it became URS flint.. As of January 1st this year they changed the name to simply URS.

Reid's in Cold Lake is one of the good contractors I was referring to.

dale7637
05-08-2014, 08:31 PM

Bingo. It's real.

hayseed
05-08-2014, 11:33 PM
I know its real, Dale... knew when they took Blackfalds, then yesterday, took out the rest,
Its all just the rig moving side, no more.

Too bad.....
Same as T Force.... I was with Artie Kos when he had 5 trucks... anyone remember M & R Truckig on here??

How about Whitepass??
JO-ANN TRUCKIN?

?

IR_mike
05-08-2014, 11:48 PM
Remember Artie Koss, Whitepass, and IIRC Joanne was originaly out of Brooks and moved into the Red Deer area in the mid 90's....purple and white trucks.

32-40win
05-09-2014, 12:28 AM
I remember when M&R bought the Alyeska Husky 8's. Can't remember if they bought a Commander of their own or bought Campbell's.
All the smaller outfits got bought up or shut down over the years.
JA Campbell, Joyline, Joanne, Speedy, Ike's, Mother's, Karnorth, Heck's, mental blank on the fella in Manning. Mullen was a nobody in particular, in the early 80's. Only one out of that original bunch still around is Finnie, not sure as someone didn't buy them out a few yrs ago. Flint, Nova, Marine, Henuset , Mannix were all pipeliners in those days.

Elk Chaser
05-09-2014, 07:39 AM

really, I saw 2 of their bed trucks headed north on the QE2 last week

mtnluvr
05-09-2014, 11:29 AM
They had a PILE of rig moving equipment sell in the last Richies sale in GP. The beds may have been headed to their new home?