PDA

View Full Version : Shell Oilsands

grizz 700
05-08-2014, 05:59 PM
Does anyone on here work for Shell at MRM or Jackpine? I have an interview on Thursday with the Maintenance Dept and was just curious. It's pretty much the only site I don't know anyone on.

Thanks

troutbug
05-08-2014, 06:22 PM
what do you want to know? I worked on both sites alot and worked alongside Shell and there management alot.

grizz 700
05-08-2014, 07:41 PM
Just curious as to how their camps were, working conditions for a mechanic etc. I have heard some pretty great things from office staff in Calgary. I'm currently working for a contractor on another site and am pretty stoked on getting an interview with a producer. Everyone has their complaints about work (especially up here) but I just haven't heard much about Shell.

Thanks

Iron Brew
05-08-2014, 10:54 PM
The camp is Albian camp. Compared to the CNRL camp I'm in, extremely nice. The indoor mechanic facilities are pretty nice (I had to wander through). Seems to be well equipped. Didn't see any obviously grumpy or ignorant there.

troutbug
05-08-2014, 11:08 PM
Just curious as to how their camps were, working conditions for a mechanic etc. I have heard some pretty great things from office staff in Calgary. I'm currently working for a contractor on another site and am pretty stoked on getting an interview with a producer. Everyone has their complaints about work (especially up here) but I just haven't heard much about Shell.

Thanks

I worked alot with the mechanics (I was with a contractor up their for rental equipment) Mechanics seem to be treated well, get paid very well. I actually never heard one complaint other then they wanted more OT lol. Most were quite content. I got to work alongside them in the shop aswell, nice facility.
Just dont do something dumb to get your OT or bonus takin away.

One mechanic had a guy take a picture of him "planking" on a haul truck bumper. He posted it on facebook and his forman saw it and he was disciplined and lost chances for OT and possibly his bonus.

NayNay
05-09-2014, 05:00 AM
A good friend of mine is a welder in the mine maintenance shop. He works directly for shell and has nothing but good things to say about them.

southernman
05-09-2014, 09:25 AM
I am a contract mechanic and work often on both shell sites, and have a very good friend who is a field mechanic at MRM, he is fairly happy there. generally shell looks after there employes well
His only real complaint is about all the road blocks, paperwork/delays/etc that are in place, diffacullt to get something done in a day, I get frustrated with the same thing too.
All large industrial site's are like that, nothing new.

79ford
05-09-2014, 03:06 PM
I am a contract mechanic and work often on both shell sites, and have a very good friend who is a field mechanic at MRM, he is fairly happy there. generally shell looks after there employes well
His only real complaint is about all the road blocks, paperwork/delays/etc that are in place, diffacullt to get something done in a day, I get frustrated with the same thing too.
All large industrial site's are like that, nothing new.

I work with some one who just came from shell, said the camp was good and company wasgood. He said the same thing about getting anything done but hey, if your on hourly that isnt a major issue, I dont think I have ever heard anything bad about shell. Top teir pay for sure too, I think they are more competitive in that department. They will definitely one up another employer if you are currently employed it seems.

grizz 700
05-09-2014, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the info guys. The pace up here is definitely something to get used to. Especially after being at a truck dealership for 12 years. It seems as though most have heard the same things I have and it looks pretty good!

Ranch11
05-09-2014, 05:24 PM
I have found with Shell, it really depends on who your manager is. Some guys are extremely cheap and cut costs at all angles= bigger bonus for them. The boys at peace river were wicked to work for, , really took care of their guys, but the guys at cold lake, well, I wasn't the only to move on..

Coreyh
05-10-2014, 08:24 AM
I work for a contractor at the Scotford Upgrader. I cannot comment on Albian, but they share the same senior heavy oil management. Shell treats their employees and contractors well. I've been on their site for 5 years, and I'm happy. They are however, about 10 or 12 months into a huge cost cutting initiative. For my part, its remained pretty positive throughout.
Everything is slow. I think their last survey was 37% tool time. It takes a long time to get anything done.