PDA

View Full Version : amassing beaver dam

waterninja
05-08-2014, 10:39 PM
so i went out mushroom hunting in a very likely area today hopeing the snow melt from the last couple days would put enough moisture in the ground, but no luck. think we need rain. looking in an area with a fairly recent burn near edm. there is a creek running through this area (black mud) with lots of beavers and beaver dams. a little further down the road i came upon this incredible beaver dam. picture does not do justice to this marvel of nature. top of dam is about 8 feet to bottom of culvert. if anyone wants to see it before some county official decides to destroy it, it is on RR 240 and TWP 508 (not sure on twp), but you can't miss it. quite close to city limits.

troutbug
05-08-2014, 10:51 PM
Natures Architects, pretty neat

Don Andersen
05-08-2014, 10:51 PM
World's Largest Beaver Dam
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/canada/7676300/Worlds-biggest-beaver-dam-can-be-seen-from-space.html

Regards,

Don

Red Bullets
05-08-2014, 11:31 PM
Interesting post Don.

Footnote to long beaverdams in alberta. (no where near a long as the dam Don mentions)

On the south side of Highway 1 west of Banff, not sure how far, there is a what looks like a really long (one hundred or more yards long) stone weir, very visible as it goes across the valley to the south. You can see it from the highway. This is the remnants of an old beaver dam from the past, where what's left is the base, the rocks the beavers pushed up into the dam. All the dirt and sediments were washed away during past floods. Just the rocks left. I saw it years ago, I haven't been down Hwy 1 lately but I'm sure its still there. Long time ago I read about the history of it somewhere too. Might have even been on a placard on the side of the highway or else in a local history book.
Maybe someone else knows of this old dam remnant?

Red Bullets
05-09-2014, 12:02 AM
Waterninja:

Amazing beaver carpentry. Should go out when they blow the dam. One good gush. All that beaver work will be for naught.

There are a few tall/deep beaver dams in the area... in the steep tight ravines off of the NS river valley and its tributaries.
Long ago when I was trapping I encountered a dam that was all of 9 feet tall and about 25 feet long. I was on the bottom side of the dam and was amazed how well it that dam was made down to the trickle. It was the highest dam in a series of four dams the beavers built to create the depth they needed to winter.

I caught some nice beaver there but they were hard to trap thru the ice in such deep water. I'm sure there were places that were 10 or more feet deep above that dam.

sikwhiskey
05-09-2014, 02:57 AM
Waterninja:

Amazing beaver carpentry. Should go out when they blow the dam. One good gush. All that beaver work will be for naught.

There are a few tall/deep beaver dams in the area... in the steep tight ravines off of the NS river valley and its tributaries.
Long ago when I was trapping I encountered a dam that was all of 9 feet tall and about 25 feet long. I was on the bottom side of the dam and was amazed how well it that dam was made down to the trickle. It was the highest dam in a series of four dams the beavers built to create the depth they needed to winter.

I caught some nice beaver there but they were hard to trap thru the ice in such deep water. I'm sure there were places that were 10 or more feet deep above that dam.
Beaver damn infront of culvert = BOOM, they should put it on youtube

waterninja
05-09-2014, 09:24 AM
Beaver damn infront of culvert = BOOM, they should put it on youtube
to tell you the truth, landowner has offered to pay me to get rid of the beavers. i declined saying that i would do it for free, saying that just having sole access to such a great hunting spot so close to edm. is payment enough.
nowadays they use backhoes instead of dynamite when feasable. funny thing is, they removed at least 4 dams 2 years ago with a backhoe (at a heavy cost) and those hard working beavers have already re-built them.
to be honest, my heart really isn't in it, but i'll probably shoot a few to keep landowner happy.

Brimo
05-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Thanks for posting/sharing