http://www.wltribune.com/news/258322111.html?mobile=true

Just a reminder to always remember to check for ticks

walking buffalo
05-09-2014, 12:33 AM
Tick Check! :sHa_shakeshout:

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=60171&highlight=tick+check

Au revoir, Gopher
05-09-2014, 07:18 AM
Ranks right up there with West Nile Virus as things I don't worry about.

ARG

calgarychef
05-09-2014, 07:47 AM
I'd worry about it. I got " tick fever" in Africa and it's not pleasant and neither are the medications to save your life. Not something to be blasé about.

JB_AOL
05-09-2014, 08:00 AM
I'd worry about it. I got " tick fever" in Africa and it's not pleasant and neither are the medications to save your life. Not something to be blasé about.

I'd worry about it... My nephew has Lyme Disease because of a tick bite here in Alberta. Worst part is, the lack of knowledge (or belief), that it exists here. They went to the doctor after they discovered the target style rash, only to be told it was nothing & sent home. Well the "flu-like" symtoms started, and they went back, Sent home Again. Finally went to a person that specializes in Lyme disease, and it was confirmed, yes he has Lyme disease. Started treatment, everything seems to be under control, although months passed between the time of the bite, and when the antibiotics started. Hopefully no harm done.

And that is not the only case, I know of three other people that were misdiagnosed, some have been told they had MS, yet years later they find out it was Lyme disease.

IT is NOT something to brush off.. Check your kids/spouses regularily.
You never know.

braggadoe
05-09-2014, 08:05 AM
a very real issue. a local rancher around here contracted lyme's disease. miss diagnosed by the doctors. finally figured it out, but he's had to sell his spread because of it.

abwtfanatic
05-10-2014, 07:12 PM
I've spent my 55 year life hunting, trapping, playing in the bush and have never seen a tick. And my dad before me the same.

ESOXangler
05-10-2014, 08:26 PM
I've spent my 55 year life hunting, trapping, playing in the bush and have never seen a tick. And my dad before me the same.

Crazy!

njd03
05-10-2014, 08:28 PM

Thats what my parents say too but theyre out there. Early last spring I went for a quick scout trip & had 35 on me when I got back to the truck. I cant stand them.

Selkirk
05-10-2014, 09:49 PM
It's a good idea to check your dogs too!

Mac

Red Dog
05-10-2014, 11:34 PM
Every spring we find ticks on our grey horses, have a sorrel and a bay horse in the same pasture. Never find any ticks on these two. Three weeks ago we picked about a hundreds ticks off each grey horse. Applied tick powder on the horses and one week later only found a couple live ticks.
Anyone else notice this with animal colour and tick infestations.

Red Bullets
05-11-2014, 12:11 AM
Aside from Lyme disease ticks also can inflict rocky mountain spotted fever (RMSF) on a person or pet.

These are the stats for RMSF for the last 90 years in the USA. The last few years have sure spiked. Causes fatalities every year.

calgarychef
05-11-2014, 12:36 AM
I had a friend who worked on a ranch near Nanton who got RMSF and the doctors had a heck of a time figuring out what he had.

kujoseto
05-11-2014, 12:42 AM
Those little buggers tick me off. (someone had to say it):sHa_shakeshout:
I was looking for moose while walking through some tall grass and willows last fall. Got back to the vehicle and noticed a couple hundred of them on my clothes. They were tiny and when I got home I started google searching info... Quick search now got me to this (one example site of many)
http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-seed-ticks.htm

Scraped them off with a knife and crushed a few for good measure :fighting0030:
(it would have been illegal to go burn the remaining ticks in a wildfire :sign0176:) They freak me out. I know two guys in their thirties, that have Lyme disease from tick bites. It can be a surprisingly debilitating disease.

Reeves1
05-11-2014, 05:48 AM
Someone should write a song about this :innocent:

graybeard
05-11-2014, 08:03 AM
Ranks right up there with West Nile Virus as things I don't worry about.

ARG

I would and I will worry about it FOREVER.....

I was bit and contracted Lymes disease and I am here to tell you it is HORRIBLE. The tick had to be surgically removed.

Similar to you, I never gave the tick much thought yet I was aware of them.

Not a day goes by when I am not reminded why I should have inspected myself or taken more precaution while I was outdoors.

Rather than sit back, research the topic of Lymes Disease and then tell me "I don't worry about it". If you don't care then think about your kids and pets.

It is serious and painful.......IMHO...

mulie4x4
05-11-2014, 08:11 AM
I'd worry about it... My nephew has Lyme Disease because of a tick bite here in Alberta. Worst part is, the lack of knowledge (or belief), that it exists here. They went to the doctor after they discovered the target style rash, only to be told it was nothing & sent home. Well the "flu-like" symtoms started, and they went back, Sent home Again. Finally went to a person that specializes in Lyme disease, and it was confirmed, yes he has Lyme disease. Started treatment, everything seems to be under control, although months passed between the time of the bite, and when the antibiotics started. Hopefully no harm done.

And that is not the only case, I know of three other people that were misdiagnosed, some have been told they had MS, yet years later they find out it was Lyme disease.

You never know.

Where in Alberta did your nephew get bit? I work with people who do tick research and are doing field sweeps now and collecting ticks. They maybe interested in going to that area.

graybeard
05-11-2014, 08:18 AM
I'd worry about it... My nephew has Lyme Disease because of a tick bite here in Alberta. Worst part is, the lack of knowledge (or belief), that it exists here. They went to the doctor after they discovered the target style rash, only to be told it was nothing & sent home. Well the "flu-like" symptoms started, and they went back, Sent home Again. Finally went to a person that specializes in Lyme disease, and it was confirmed, yes he has Lyme disease. Started treatment, everything seems to be under control, although months passed between the time of the bite, and when the antibiotics started. Hopefully no harm done.

IT is NOT something to brush off.. Check your kids/spouses regularly.
You never know.

I was lucky to have the target like rash that confirmed the bite. However that target like rash only occurs 25% of the time. Don't simply rely on seeing it.......

RavYak
05-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Someone should write a song about this :innocent:

Hah, no tick discussion is complete without a little Brad Paisley.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OctrGD4JW8U

backpacker
05-11-2014, 08:37 AM

I've never seen a million dollars either, but I know it and ticks exist in Alberta. Your reasoning is very sound,lol.

honda450
05-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Creepy crawlers don't freak me out but ticks is another story. Hate them critters.

Only had a few in Alberta, but Manitoba is the capital of ticks, I refuse to work there no more.

We got a late season moose one time in Northern BC, hung it in my shed for a few days dang man you should of seen the dead ticks on the floor . 100's of em. Dang moose probably would not of made it threw the winter.

That's all I got to say bout that.

woods_walker
05-11-2014, 09:04 AM
Dog picked up a tick by Calling Lake and another co-worker's dog got a tick in the same area and the tick tested positive for Lyme's disease. I have seen moose with them before but never have I seen a tick before I found one on my dog and I worked in the bush daily for 15 years.

thumper
05-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Full of my blood - yuck

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b23/Canmoron/insects/P1020297.jpg (http://s16.photobucket.com/user/Canmoron/media/insects/P1020297.jpg.html)

winmag
05-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Lots of those little buggers around Red Deer Lake , when wife had taxidermy business the tanning barrel had lots in it mostly Mule Deer from that area..Anybody seen the cattle troughs in Mexico where the cattle are swimmed thru and inoculated and tagged as they swim the water is laced with some potent insecticide, after 50 head they skim the ticks out ,there are literally mountains of dead ticks at these sites really nasty , when i worked in the bush in Mexico you just looked at a bush and you had ticks on you ,every day down there was a tick pic :)

3blade
05-11-2014, 01:08 PM
... when i worked in the bush in Mexico you just looked at a bush and you had ticks on you ,every day down there was a tick pic :)

Yeah, one of many reasons to avoid Mexican bush.....:scared0018:

Seriously though its a good reminder to do a quick check, also keep in mind if someone gets sick and they can't figure out what it is.

buckmasterjr
05-11-2014, 01:46 PM
What kind of ticks are in Alberta? i heard only deer ticks carry lyme disease is this true? Are they everywhere in Alberta or only certain parts? Never found or seen a tick before in my life, guess I should be more aware when out in the bush.

Mb-MBR
05-11-2014, 02:09 PM

Must rank right up there with the samsquatch, they're just a fiction of peoples imaginations!!!!

I know of 6 people and three dogs that have contacted Lyme disease. Same thing no diagnosis till much later when things got worse.

They're out there and should not be discounted by anyone.

From what I've read they've migrated north and largely due to our climate being similar to where they originated.

JB_AOL
05-11-2014, 04:33 PM
Where in Alberta did your nephew get bit? I work with people who do tick research and are doing field sweeps now and collecting ticks. They maybe interested in going to that area.

Don't know specifically, but they have an acreage just south of valleyview.

winmag
05-11-2014, 11:05 PM
3BLADE... good one:)

hollowedpoint
05-12-2014, 01:35 AM
Awe god thats so gross. I would seriously hate to find one of those on me! Lol

crf250xtom
05-12-2014, 01:43 AM
Is Lyme disease curable?

rottie
05-12-2014, 04:44 AM
No its treatable,but not cureable. My niece has it and that ia what her DR is saying. The outcome can also be much different if diagnosed right away,the soon its treated the better

3blade
05-12-2014, 01:47 PM
No its treatable,but not cureable. My niece has it and that ia what her DR is saying. The outcome can also be much different if diagnosed right away,the soon its treated the better

Incorrect. Kind of.

The bacteria is killed with antibiotics. The damage that the bacteria do before treatment, is often permanent. Problem is that it often goes unrecognized here, because it is still somewhat unusual.

Red Bullets
05-12-2014, 08:03 PM
What kind of ticks are in Alberta? i heard only deer ticks carry lyme disease is this true? Are they everywhere in Alberta or only certain parts? Never found or seen a tick before in my life, guess I should be more aware when out in the bush.

Ticks can be in wooded or grassy areas in North America.
I was always told that in the mountains, there are lots of ticks just below the snowline on the slopes. Maybe some high country users can comment if this is an accurate statement in their experiences.

2 excerpts from the Public Health Agency of Canada:
"Two types of ticks are responsible for the spread of Lyme disease in Canada: the western blacklegged tick in British Columbia and the blacklegged tick in other parts of Canada."

"Hunters may be at greater risk of contracting Lyme disease because they spend more time in habitats where ticks tend to live. However, Lyme disease cannot be spread by butchering or eating deer meat or organs."

A MUST read for everyone that enjoys the outdoors and wants to be educated about this topic. Good things to know if you have kids or pets, let alone self preservation.

http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/id-mi/lyme-fs-eng.php

--------------------
The Alberta Health website claims the cases they have seen were found to have been contracted while traveling out of porvince. They do have resources for concerns.

http://www.health.alberta.ca/health-info/lyme-disease.html

sillyak
05-12-2014, 08:56 PM
The only tick I've ever seen in Alberta was crawling up the pant leg of my buddy while we were sitting, having lunch, on the summit of the Wedge (heart of K -Country). They are out there.

nenaj
05-13-2014, 01:20 PM
My family travelled to Saskatoon from Edmonton this past weekend. Over the course of the weekend with a few short hikes in the river valleys we found 4 ticks on us. The last one we found was latched on the back of my 3 year old daughters neck. They are here and it seems like there are a lot of them in Saskatchewan this year.

CLB
05-13-2014, 02:39 PM
We have a lot of ticks here in Saskatchewan. This time of year we find a lot of them on us. The vast majority of ticks that we have are the American dog tick (wood tick). These do not carry lyme disease. I think a common tick in Alberta is the rocky mountain wood tick which is not know for carrying lyme disease either. Lyme disease will be carried by the black legged tick ( deer tick). I think I have read less than one percent of the ticks here are deer ticks. The American dog tick and rocky mountain wood tick will carry rocky mountain spotted fever and a few other diseases although rare.

walking buffalo
05-13-2014, 03:12 PM
--------------------
The Alberta Health website claims the cases they have seen were found to have been contracted while traveling out of porvince. They do have resources for concerns.

http://www.health.alberta.ca/health-info/lyme-disease.html

I find that the Nanny State is infiltrating the government's tone on their webpages. Everything is Red Roses.

Back in 2010 Alberta Health Services stated that they could not confirm the source of infection in all of the 20 confirmed cases from 1989-2009. In 2010, the presence of the bacteria causing Lyme Disease had been confirmed in ticks from Calgary, High River, Androssan and Stoney Plain areas.

The truth is the government does not know the extent of Lyme disease carrying ticks nor are they able to confirm the source of all historical infections in Albertans.

It really is imperative for the public to be "Tick Smart" to ensure their own safety.

The Government link to this Lyme Disease warning has been scrubbed clean.

"May 20, 2010

Albertans warned to take precautions against Lyme disease

Edmonton ... Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health is advising Albertans to take precautions against Lyme disease as ticks carrying the disease have been identified in three areas of the province.

Three ticks have tested positive for Borrelia, the bacteria that cause Lyme disease. The ticks were found on dogs in the Calgary, High River and Ardrossan areas, and submitted for testing by veterinarians. Borrelia was first identified in Alberta in 2007, in ticks found on dogs in the Stony Plain area. A bite by an infected tick can cause illness in people, wildlife and domestic animals.

“Lyme disease can be a serious condition if it’s not detected early and left untreated,” said Dr. Andre Corriveau, Alberta’s Chief Medical Officer of Health. “We advise anyone who is spending time outdoors to take precautions against tick bites. Your best defence against Lyme disease is prevention. To avoid being bitten by ticks, use insect repellents and cover up when walking in tall grass, woods or brush.”

There have been 20 cases of human Lyme disease reported in Alberta from 1989 to 2009. The majority of cases have been linked to travel in the U.S. or Europe. Public health officials have not been able to confirm that any of the infections were acquired in Alberta. Infected ticks reported in 2007 were thought to be carried to Alberta by migratory birds, as neither the species of tick nor the bacteria had been seen here before.

“Alberta Agriculture and Rural Development operates a tick surveillance project that is looking to see if the ticks that carry Lyme disease are established in the province,” says Dr. Gerald Hauer, Chief Provincial Veterinarian. “Ticks that carry Lyme disease have rarely been found in Alberta, and we are currently trying to get a better understanding of their presence.”

Infection with Lyme disease normally occurs in the summer months from May to August. The disease is recognized as a circular, red rash starting at the tick bite 3 to 30 days after the bite occurs. The rash may be accompanied by fever, chills, headache, fatigue and swollen lymph glands. In some cases, Lyme disease results in neurological and muscular problems weeks or months after the original infection. More serious cases can lead to recurrent meningitis, heart problems and arthritis.

If you find a tick on your pet, contact your local veterinarian to remove it, so the tick can be identified and collected for testing. The veterinarian can treat the infection in pets or domestic animals.

For more information on Lyme disease, visit http://www.health.alberta.ca/health-...e-disease.html, or http://srd.alberta.ca/BioDiversitySt...ymedisease.pdf. Anyone who suspects they have Lyme disease should contact HealthLink Alberta - in the Calgary-area at 403.943.LINK (5465); in the Edmonton-area at 780.408.LINK (5465) or, outside the local calling area, toll-free at 1.866.408.LINK (5465).

May 20, 2010
Questions and answers about Lyme disease

1.Q: How is Lyme disease transmitted?
Lyme disease is a debilitating disease that can affect people, wildlife and domestic animals.
Infection of humans with Lyme disease normally occurs during the summer months from May to August after a bite from a tick infected with Lyme-causing bacteria.

Ticks on migrating birds may also carry the bacteria and some common bird species are potential hosts for Lyme bacteria.

The disease is named after Lyme, Connecticut, where the first human outbreak in North America was recognized in 1975.

2.Q: Can Lyme disease be treated?
In the early stages of infection, Lyme disease can be treated with doxycycline or amoxicillin.
3.Q: What if I find a tick embedded in my skin?
Use tweezers to gently remove the tick’s mouth - the part sticking into your skin. Apply steady pressure to pull the tick straight out without twisting or jerking it. Do not squash the tick, as it may inject the bacteria directly into your skin. Check the bite area for at least two weeks. If a red rash appears or other symptoms develop, seek medical attention.
4.Q: What if I find a tick embedded in my pet?
If you find a tick on your pet, contact your local veterinarian to remove it, so the tick can be identified and collected for testing. The veterinarian can treat the infection in pets or domestic animals.
5.Q: How can I avoid Lyme disease?
Use insect repellant containing DEET, and cover up as much as possible when walking in tall grass, brush or woods where ticks may be found. Wear a long-sleeved shirt, long pants, long socks, enclosed shoes or boots and a hat. Wear light colours, as ticks are dark and easier to see against a light background. Some ticks can be as small as a pin-head or freckle. Remove clothes and check your body thoroughly for ticks after being outdoors.

Regularly check pets and children after they have been outside and carefully remove any ticks."

graybeard
05-13-2014, 07:17 PM
It is so refreshing to read information that is so helpful to everyone. It also keeps the over opinionated ones from trying to derail an educational subject.

IMHO, they never seem to show up when their opinions are outweighed by factual knowledge.

In my case the lymes has a similar side affect to that of multiple sclerosis and it accelerated all my arthritis; I am too old before my time.....

Aside from all the outdoors and areas mentioned in this thread; others to be very careful is the Pacific Northwest, lower British Columbia and Lake of the Woods to name a few.

I was bit in the Seattle Washington region.

Good luck and be careful.......

sjd
05-13-2014, 09:23 PM
Watch out in any dry, grassy area on the eastern slopes from when the snow melts tlll about June. Kootenay Plains seems notoriously bad, as is Waterton.

One time hiking with my girlfriend she picked 6 off her on the car-ride home just crawling around.

I've had dozens of these Rocky Mountain ticks on me in the past 20 years - the good news is they have NEVER dug in and I've always picked them off before they bite - sometimes 3 hours later. They obviously think we are pretty marginal hosts, though so you have a few hours.

Lyme disease sounds very nasty and not to be messed with.

graybeard
05-24-2014, 05:55 PM
I was lucky to have the target like rash that confirmed the bite. However that target like rash only occurs 25% of the time. Don't simply rely on seeing it.......

Make that 8% of the time that the target like rash appears...

Ticks and lymes is so important that Global News did a segment on it this evening.

Take lots of care folks....

Nova
05-24-2014, 06:52 PM
Dang things are sure a battle in southern Sask. Only been out a few weeks from what I've noticed but I've already picked 3 off myself and 13 off my dog. A couple years back I picked upwards of 30 off my dog and myself combined from a one hour hike. Oddly enough I've never once had one latch on to me. I always notice them while they are crawling on me.

lannie
05-24-2014, 07:05 PM
Lots of ticks here in the Crowsnest pass now. I am always looking for them after being outside but not while out there. I sure don't want to let it ruin my outdoor pursuits but .....Lyme disease is nasty.

greylynx
05-24-2014, 07:06 PM
I have found the Lethbridge area to be rather bad.

It seems that dear old Lethbridge is not the only place that this vermin likes crawling on people.

Thanks to the AO forum.

It also appears the government does not really know how big the tick problem really is. And they could care less. A new leader is more important to them.

graybeard
05-24-2014, 07:08 PM
Dang things are sure a battle in southern Sask. Only been out a few weeks from what I've noticed but I've already picked 3 off myself and 13 off my dog. A couple years back I picked upwards of 30 off my dog and myself combined from a one hour hike. Oddly enough I've never once had one latch on to me. I always notice them while they are crawling on me.

You are lucky.

What is scary is that they will get to the places that you can't possibly see i.e. your back, back of your scalp, inside your ears, crotch, crack of your bum, arm pits etc.

They migrate to the very warm areas of your body.

Ticdoc
05-24-2014, 07:16 PM
CLB and Walking Buffalo make some good points.
The species of tick that transmits Lyme Disease is likely a recent arrival to Alberta (likely carried here by migrating birds) and its distribution is spotty. But it is likely well established so Alberta will likely see more human cases of Lyme Disease in the future. And this disease can be serious.
Here, some information that I have lifted from a book I wrote about winter ticks on moose.
"Ticks are common parasites of mammals, including humans. Some species are also found on birds and reptiles. There are over 800 species of ticks worldwide, but only about 35 species occur on hosts in Canada. Of that number only 10 or so occur in Alberta and of those few, only two [now three counting the tick that spreads Lyme Disease]get much attention.
"The Rocky Mountain wood tick, Dermacentor andersoni, occurs on large mammals such as deer, elk, cattle and humans from south central British Columbia, southern and western Alberta, and east to southwestern Saskatchewan. This tick deserves the attention it gets because hikers and dogs, walking game trails, commonly become infested in spring and early summer and disease can result.
"Wood ticks ascend grasses and shrubs along game trails and ambush large mammals including man. They occur in Alberta’s foothills and mountains from Jasper to the Montana border. Basically, where elk, mule deer, and bighorn sheep are found, so too are wood ticks. Moving east, wood ticks occur south of a west-east line running through Lake Louise and Hanna.
"Wood ticks vector the human disease Rocky Mountain spotted fever, which, in spite of its name, is not very common in Alberta, but rather reaches near epidemic proportions in dogs of the southeastern Atlantic states. The disease, which first produces a mild-to-nasty skin rash often accompanied by headache, fever, general soreness, then more severe signs later such as agitation and insomnia, is readily treated with antibiotics.
A second ailment is tick paralysis, which occurs rarely in humans or other animals in Alberta, but is more common in cattle of British Columbia. Ticks produce a neurological toxin that is passed to hosts, such as cattle and man, during tick bite. Infection results in a gradually spreading loss of feeling from the extremities to the body core.
"In summary, getting ambushed by wood ticks is part of hiking in southern and western Alberta in spring, but infection with Spotted Fever or Tick Paralysis is rare. Nonetheless, these diseases can be serious, which merits taking precautions to reduce chances of tick attack:
▪ avoid resting (that is, sitting or lying down) along game trails or mountain meadows obviously frequented by deer, elk or bighorn sheep;
▪ use repellents containing DEET on clothing below the waist; that is, those areas that might come into contact with low-lying tick-infested vegetation;
▪ tuck pants into the socks, and
▪ do a body search for ticks of everyone in the hiking party during and at the end of the day. Search everyone for ticks, especially young children. It takes several to many hours for disease transmission to occur, so these searches are worthwhile. Wood ticks tend to attach around the ears and back of the neck, often just under the hairline. Check the dog.
If an attached tick is found, use tweezers to grasp the tick as close to the skin as possible and gently pull so as to remove both tick and its mouthparts. By the way, those home-spun remedies such as using nail polish, end of lit cigarette or hot match, petroleum jelly, lighter fluid, do not work when trying to remove a tick embedded in skin. Treat the site with antiseptic. See a physician if you are not certain that the mouthparts have been removed (and one sign that they have not been removed is inflammation at the site of the attached tick), or if you do not feel well following the hike.

"The second attention-getting species of tick in Alberta is called the moose-, elk- or winter tick, Dermacentor albipictus. The common names refer to the hosts on which the tick is noticed most often and the season in which these ticks are observed most often. Humans are seldom, if ever, infested with winter ticks; this tick is not considered a pest of man.

That's my tictoc.

ticdoc

greylynx
05-24-2014, 07:45 PM
Thank you Tic Doc.

Glad to see you are still in the neighborhood.

Fellow AO members. Tic Doc is a real cool dude when it comes to ticks and parasites.

Thanks again.

Selkirk
05-24-2014, 11:34 PM
. . .

It also appears the government does not really know how big the tick problem really is. And they could care less. A new leader is more important to them.

Exactly ^ !

They're more concerned with the 'rats'.

Mac

Ticdoc
05-25-2014, 01:59 PM
Thank you Tic Doc.

Glad to see you are still in the neighborhood.

Fellow AO members. Tic Doc is a real cool dude when it comes to ticks and parasites.

Thanks again.

Appreciate kind words.

ticdoc

Spectre
05-25-2014, 08:46 PM
Back from SK last weekend. Lots of ticks. First couple days pants treated with permethrin, no ticks. Last two days, no permethrin treated cloths, and two attached to me, & one found crawling. The dog (tick treatment 5 days prior) one attached, & two found crawling (dying?) on his back. Not bad for the volume of them I guess.

shauner
05-27-2014, 10:52 AM
Some facts from the leading Lyme disease organization internationally.

http://www.ilads.org/lyme/about-lyme.php

Keep in mind that "Lyme disease" means an infection of Borrelia burgdorferi to your doctor. But there are multiple possible co-infections that are often transmitted as well. This can make things really complicated.

Have a look over the symptoms of a common co-infection called Bartonella....
http://flash.lymenet.org/scripts/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=062704;p=0

I was negative on the AHC ELISA testing for Borrelia but came back positive on a western blot for Borrelia & positive for Bartonella on a special blood stain test. I only had 2 symptoms - fatigue with agitation and plantar fasciitis that wouldn't go away. After treatment, these went away.

Lessons for me - you don't have to have all these symptoms to have an infection and don't rely on the AHC test as your only way of determining if you have it.

u_cant_rope_the_wind
05-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Puts a whole new meaning to that song
I'd like to check you for ticks
now don't it:thinking-006:

graybeard
05-31-2014, 07:00 PM
Bump

graybeard
06-20-2014, 08:38 AM
Bump

Matt L.
06-20-2014, 09:12 AM
Puts a whole new meaning to that song
now don't it:thinking-006:

Maybe, you can put a better case for doing it now tho. ;)

Flieguy
06-20-2014, 08:19 PM
forgetmenot ridge (west of Bragg Creek) last weekend I had a tick crawling up my leg. Squished the lil bugger between a couple rocks and checked for more when I got home.

first alberta tick I've ever had on me. Definitely be checking from now on.

alacringa
06-20-2014, 08:48 PM
I get a bunch of them, every year. Checking for them is important, especially if you've been walking in long grass. They're pretty common here. Fascinating little buggers, but I'm not too keen on getting Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever or Lyme Disease.

Nova
06-23-2014, 01:34 PM

I should have knocked on wood. 6 have latched on so far this year. Not for long, 15 minutes maybe, I get them immediately after we are done hiking. This is shaping up to be one of the worst years I've seen. Not in volume but duration. It's been cool and raining every other day. Usually I see them peak in early June and then start dying off. I think they are still at least a couple weeks away from that yet.

The odd thing is I'm picking more off myself than the dog while hiking , not by much but maybe 10% more. The last 2 years she was out numbering me by about 3 to 1.

graybeard
09-14-2014, 07:27 PM
Bump

hunterfisher
09-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Had ticks in my Mule deer yesterday. Through him in the truck and got home. Hung him outside and skinned him pretty quick. I noticed most of them around the anus and I was just grossed out. I think most went deeper into the hide as I was skinning and then I chucked it in a grab age bag. I was constantly checking my stuff but never found one. After all was done I changed my clothes and went inside. Had my wife check me and seems ok so hopefully no bites or anything like that. It's been over 24 hrs so hopefully all is good. Don't know if there's any in the grass where I skinned him. How long would they last I wonder. Anyways it still got me grossed out as I have a dog and continuously checking him and the kids. Yuck.

cody c
09-15-2014, 09:56 AM
Friend of a friend in calgary got lyme disease last year from a Tick while hiking through the ghost Valley to a rock climbing spot.

It ain't nothing to scoff at, if you get a Tick and start to feel sick you need to see a doctor, and make sure you get antibiotics till you feel better, she almost got rid of it but the antibiotics prescription was too short in duration, the doctor didn't renew the prescription and now she has it, probably for life.

buckmasterjr
10-25-2014, 07:46 PM
Found one crawling on my leg today after hunting.. About the size of the tip of a thumbtack, are they supposed to be out this late in the season or did one just happen to be around? Never ever found one till today, about an hour outside edmonton.

gallery
11-16-2014, 08:48 AM
I just happened to stumble on this thread and thought I should pass on my experiences to maybe help someone else out. I shot my early season southern elk and after processing we got it into the cooler. I started to experience flu like symptoms about two days later. They would come and go so I was pretty convinced it was just a flu. I had to leave for home and the flu symptoms continued. About a week later I developed a rash over most of my upper body, time to see a doctor. The first doctor sent me for blood work but nothing conclusive, told me that because my symptoms started so early to the exposure that it couldn't be RMSF told me to come back in a few days. I suffered through the whole weekend and returned to the hospital on Monday and got a different doctor (thank God). He immediately started to treat me for RMSF and did tests in the hospital for the rest of the day. The antibiotics started to work in a couple of days but still took over a week to even get any strength back. I have never felt that sick in my entire life. Conclusion I grew up in that area and never before worried about ticks. We had raid in the truck and never used it and maybe gloves would be a good idea. Doctors are not familiar with this disease so continue to go to emergency until you get results, even the biopsy they took came back inconclusive. Hope this may help someone avoid this desease

yoteblaster
11-16-2014, 08:54 AM
What is RMSF? Thks

Au revoir, Gopher
11-16-2014, 09:04 AM
What is RMSF? Thks

Rocky Mountain spotted fever (http://www.cdc.gov/rmsf/)

ARG

snroth
11-16-2014, 11:39 AM
I was walking through some tall grass in zone 204 on Nov. 3 and when I got out I had probably 100 on my one arm, all were just little tiny ones.

gallery
11-16-2014, 09:46 PM
exactly rocky mountain spotted fever not something you ever want to get

graybeard
04-18-2015, 02:26 PM
Tick time....be careful and always inspect yourself and your pets....

VERY SERIOUS

graybeard
06-30-2015, 08:17 AM
Bump

benamen
06-30-2015, 08:35 AM
I went for a round out at our 3D range a week ago. Came back and had a bath. Surprise!!!!! Found a tick on my leg but had not attached itself yet.

russ
06-30-2015, 08:46 AM
Just went through this thread and noticed there isn't a link to this site

http://canlyme.com/

CBR
06-30-2015, 04:21 PM
Great thread. Doing a lot of geological fieldwork in BC in my early 20's I've seen my fair share of ticks. I remember one spot in particular - early June and we were working at the base of a cliff on one section of outcrop. Myself and my field assistant were literally getting covered in ticks almost immediately. We couldn't figure out where they were coming from until we realized they were jumping onto us from above. Needless to say we got out of there in a hurry. I've never experienced anything like that before or since. It was disgusting lol!

One method we found that worked like a charm for getting them off once they have attached themselves (not sure if this works once they are really embedded as we always checked ourselves every night and so found them relatively early) was heating a small needle with a lighter and lifting up the back end of the tick slightly and poking their bellies with the hot needle. Every time we barely had to touch them and they backed out immediately. This ensures that no part of their head/mouth is left behind as can happen if you pull them with tweezers. Just make sure you don't poke yourself!!!

saskpikeman
06-30-2015, 04:28 PM
Take this seriously. Lyme disease is no joke. Misdiagnosed it can be a lifelong battle!!!

tbiddy
06-30-2015, 06:55 PM
Just got back from 2 weeks camping at Saskatchewan Landing near Kyle SK. Found ticks on myself almost daily. None were attached but they were there. Ended up pulling 3 off on the dog that had attached themselves. 2 were in his ears so you have to look everywhere.

lolanr
06-30-2015, 07:15 PM
Thanks for the reminder. I am heading to Sask landing in 10 days!

Just got back from 2 weeks camping at Saskatchewan Landing near Kyle SK. Found ticks on myself almost daily. None were attached but they were there. Ended up pulling 3 off on the dog that had attached themselves. 2 were in his ears so you have to look everywhere.

thegunman
06-30-2015, 07:16 PM
Have had multiple ticks on me this year while scouting for sheep. Managed to get them all before they attached though.

Faststeel
06-30-2015, 10:12 PM
Once these things get on you, how long does it take for one to attach its self to you? FS

drhu22
03-03-2016, 08:24 AM
edit

Lornce
03-03-2016, 08:56 AM
I might have missed it but has anyone mentioned tick removal devices. I carry one my fishing vest so it's handy. The one I have is called a Tickey but there are other good ones.

https://aftergadget.files.wordpress.com/2011/10/tick-key.jpg

graybeard
05-01-2016, 08:16 AM
Looking like a tick bumper crop this year.....2016....be careful.

graybeard
05-20-2016, 07:43 AM
Bump

fordtruckin
05-20-2016, 11:31 AM
Dang it! after reading this whole thread I feel like I got something crawling all over me. I freaking despise ticks, always have ever since a kid in Canora, Saskatchewan. Definitely a good thread as I knew about Lyme's disease and RMSF, I did not however know how prevalent it is. I've known 2 people with Lyme's and its not pretty...

Peter Abelard
05-20-2016, 01:13 PM

You never know.

Question: Would you be willing to make a finger to the wind guestimate of the chances of a given tick bite resulting in Lyme? 1/10? 1/100000?

JB_AOL
05-20-2016, 01:19 PM
Question: Would you be willing to make a finger to the wind guestimate of the chances of a given tick bite resulting in Lyme? 1/10? 1/100000?

Nope. Wouldn't matter, as my guess would be skewed.

You can question it all you want, but it is ALOT more common than people think. The worst part is, you won't know until much later. So why would you take the chance?

graybeard
05-20-2016, 03:09 PM
Once these things get on you, how long does it take for one to attach its self to you? FS

Once he is on you it is no time before they migrate to the hot spots of your body....arm pits, crotch, ears, cheeks of your bum and begin to burrow in.....

Diesel_wiesel
05-20-2016, 07:10 PM
it sure brings a new meaning to that song
don't it ????:bad_boys_20:

threeforthree
05-21-2016, 12:56 AM
Took it out of the dogs stomach this week.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h406/horneyhunter/060_2.jpg (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/horneyhunter/media/060_2.jpg.html)

graybeard
08-04-2016, 08:55 AM
Bump

dodger
08-04-2016, 09:52 AM
Took it out of the dogs stomach this week.
http://i1108.photobucket.com/albums/h406/horneyhunter/060_2.jpg (http://s1108.photobucket.com/user/horneyhunter/media/060_2.jpg.html)

That about made me puke !!

Dodger.

Jayhad
08-04-2016, 12:56 PM
I just got back from the Dr. They start my testing tomorrow, I got bit about 3 weeks ago and last Friday on I've been wiped out with flu like symptoms, but no flu... keeping my fingers crossed its giardia

I had no target rash, but my Dr. asked if may have been bit by a tick, so luckily she was on her game.

KinAlberta
09-02-2016, 07:31 PM
Interesting read:

Ticks found on 'one third' of dogs, researchers say - BBC News

Sarah Bignell was a very fit and active vet before she went on a walking holiday in Aberfeldy in Scotland in 2011. "There was a small note in the cabin saying ...

Six weeks later, she started suffering pain in her bones, joints and nerves. Doctors put her symptoms down to other conditions, including multiple sclerosis or a brain tumour. However, Sarah's background meant that she knew to push for a Lyme disease test. She had been bitten by a tick - and she had been completely unaware of it. She also had no "bullseye rash".

It became agony "virtually overnight" for Sarah to deal with sound or light. She couldn't swallow, and when she could, it was agony. She had developed encephalitis. "I spent eight-and-a-half months locked in a room," she explains. She needed constant care and could no longer look after her dog and cat.

Over the next four-and-a-half years, Sarah had many close calls. "I was in danger of dying. I am very lucky," she says.

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-37252925

6tmile
09-02-2016, 08:28 PM
My oldest son of 23 years is on the mend from RMSF. He was infected at work in Edmonton west end or in Bon Accord 3 weeks ago. Please check after every outing, their here all over Alberta.

Alberta Bigbore
09-02-2016, 09:05 PM
I just got back from a week's fishing in Manitoba. Tick season is almost done there. Only had 7 wood ticks on me. I've gotten over it. Last fall I was lucky enough to walk through tall Grass north of Grande prairie where a pod of hundreds of baby ticks were waiting for me. Ticks in my truck.. clothes..phone.. frame pack.. everything. Each pass with a lint roller got 30+ ticks off me. Lol it was a bad scene.

graybeard
05-15-2017, 07:08 AM
Bump......it is that time of year.....

graybeard
04-27-2020, 06:35 AM
Please bump....very serious......good reminder mrcrossbow...... :)

graybeard
06-23-2020, 08:11 AM
Have a great summer and check yourself, kids and pets.........nobody ever died of embarrassment.

troutbug
06-23-2020, 09:28 AM
Have a great summer and check yourself, kids and pets.........nobody ever died of embarrassment.

Good reminder.

We check numerous times while on the hike than at the end of the day we do one big check over everything and everyone.

Since we started treating our clothes with permethrin we have yet to have another tick party like we did after the first hike this year lol. That was terrible

graybeard
07-16-2020, 09:13 AM
Reminder:
It is that time of the year.......

Play safe...

graybeard
06-14-2023, 08:26 AM
6 simple tips to avoid tick bites this summer so you can enjoy the outdoors safely

https://calgarysun.com/shopping-essentials/6-simple-tips-to-avoid-tick-bites-this-summer

fordtruckin
06-14-2023, 10:02 AM

Count yourself lucky! I’ve had 5 crawling on me this spring alone and haven’t even spent much time in the brush.

silver
06-15-2023, 03:42 AM
up until about 10 years ago I had never seen a tick and that time I saw two. Last year they showed up in the my yard and again this year, probably picked about 8 or 10 so far.

fishnguy
06-15-2023, 10:05 AM
Might as well throw this in here for info: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=404157

Bushmaster
06-15-2023, 10:28 AM
Are these the same kind of ticks you're talking about? Every coupla years they show up on these rabbits...

https://i.imgur.com/jMzUAnP.jpg

I've never come across one while mowing the grass etc. so not sure when/where they'll show up. They look like a severe PITA !! Do they end up killing the rabbits or do the ticks just freeze in fall/winter and disappear.....these are not tame rabbits but are used to me being around and no too afraid.

graybeard
06-15-2023, 10:30 AM
Might as well throw this in here for info: http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=404157

There is no such thing as "too much information" when it comes to lymes disease and ticks....

Art, Thanks for the AO reference and to Coiloil and others for the entries as well..

The guys who don't take ticks seriously are not only hurting themselves but they are putting their friends, families and pets at risk as well.

When Lymes Disease and Multiple Sclerosis (MS) symptoms are used in the same sentence, it is serious and painful.

As stated in the past; "no one has ever died of embarrassment in checking yourself or others for these destructive insects."

Stay safe