PDA

View Full Version : RCMP shooting St. Paul

rottik9
05-09-2014, 07:20 PM
I was just in St. Paul, shots fired.....RCMP involved in chase, one dead at least.

brownbomber
05-09-2014, 09:19 PM
Just first reports coming in, but shootout in St. Paul involving RCMP 3 members injured one citizen dead

Lone_Wolf
05-09-2014, 09:28 PM
Just first reports coming in, but shootout in St. Paul involving RCMP 3 members injured one citizen dead

A friend of mine posted some pictures and info on Facebook just after it happened, and I've been following since.

It must have been a chaotic scene.

-Suspect fled from police.
-Suspect crashed into police truck at the intersection of ATB Financial (for those familiar with the town)
-Suspect pulled out shotgun and opened fire.
-Police returned fire, resulting in the suspect being killed.
-Two RCMP were shot and airlifted to Edmonton.
-The RCMP who was injured in the truck is still in St.Paul Hospital.

I was in St.Paul today, but left around 4 PM. That is such a busy intersection. The potential for citizen injury would have been very high.

deerhunter
05-09-2014, 09:29 PM
3 Mounties in St Paul were injured. Gun man is dead.
Just got this from Edmonton Journal news alert.

brownbomber
05-09-2014, 09:33 PM
That's insane esp on Friday evening must have been real busy. I know many members at elk point detachment, hope all the good guys pull through.

http://globalnews.ca/news/1322892/three-mounties-injured-in-confrontation-with-gunman-in-st-paul/

Ken07AOVette
05-09-2014, 11:11 PM
http://www.cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2638384

Pointerman
05-10-2014, 08:05 AM
I am hearing there is another victim involved that police haven't released details about. Hearing it is a priest shot.....not sure the validity of the story but he must have been running from something?????????????

Bergerboy
05-10-2014, 08:11 AM
Musta been a waterfowler. Left the plug in.

58thecat
05-10-2014, 08:49 AM
Good on the police to engage and finish it off quickly as this could have resulted in citizens being injured or killed! Hope the police officers heal quickly and return to duty to serve and protect.

58thecat
05-10-2014, 09:21 AM
Good on the police to engage and finish it off quickly as this could have resulted in citizens being injured or killed! Hope the police officers heal quickly and return to duty to serve and protect.

roper1
05-10-2014, 11:01 AM
I wish the officers well also. But maybe too early to speculate they acted appropriately. The guy was back in his vehicle apparently so maybe headed home to suicide ?? High speed chases or chases in public areas are supposed to be called off. Guy goes home offs himself no stray bullets flying around downtown. Have to wait for the facts & hope they don't get glossed over.

silver lab
05-10-2014, 11:21 AM
Musta been a waterfowler. Left the plug in.

HAHA!! Not funny.

58thecat
05-10-2014, 05:37 PM
I wish the officers well also. But maybe too early to speculate they acted appropriately. The guy was back in his vehicle apparently so maybe headed home to suicide ?? High speed chases or chases in public areas are supposed to be called off. Guy goes home offs himself no stray bullets flying around downtown. Have to wait for the facts & hope they don't get glossed over.

Too early is correct, the police did their job, no glossing required! Eliminate the threat and in this case with deadly force, sad but the criminal was out of order and this was the outcome. Hope all involved heal physically and mentally and move on.

covey ridge
05-10-2014, 08:22 PM

You say too early to speculate that they acted appropriately but you seem to have no problem speculating that they may not have? Speculating that maybe headed home to suicide?? Speculating that there may have been a breach in chase policy? Seems to be lots of speculating here?

Maybe instead of speculating, how about just waiting to see how this all unfolds?:)

roper1
05-10-2014, 11:33 PM
You say too early to speculate that they acted appropriately but you seem to have no problem speculating that they may not have? Speculating that maybe headed home to suicide?? Speculating that there may have been a breach in chase policy? Seems to be lots of speculating here?

Maybe instead of speculating, how about just waiting to see how this all unfolds?:)

You mean like wait as long as we have for the High River Gun Grab to unfold ? The OP posted 'car chase in town'. I will speculate you would be comfortable this happening in your town ? It would be another tragedy if the guy shot a different innocent civilian but it also would have been a tragedy if your grandkid was hurt by a stray bullet in an unnecessary gunfight. You seem very comfortable racing to their defense instead of asking if gunfire in town was necessary. I felt that that the post by 58TC speculated that the RCMP did the world a favor & felt the other side of the story needed to be asked.

leeaspell
05-10-2014, 11:41 PM
F the rcmp. Act like goons, get treated like a goon

lilsundance
05-11-2014, 12:03 AM
I think some of you had better quit blaming everything on the RCMP. 2 of them had to be flown to Hospital, a third is in a local hospital. The person who shot them/ at them is dead.
For some of you all RCMP are bad. Well that's like labeling all Hunters and fisher men/women as poachers. Cool it people. The investigation team will publish their findings.

CaberTosser
05-11-2014, 12:59 AM
All accounts to date peg it as a good shoot. Guy kills priest, rams RCMP cruiser and shoots at them? He didn't even need to wear a bullseye shirt with all that going for him.

(seeing as they were looking for him I'm going to go way out on a limb assuming it was him who had shot the priest from Africa).

A rather sad irony that the fellow moved to sleepy St Paul away from violent Africa and has this fate befall him.

58thecat
05-11-2014, 08:25 AM
Without the laws and those who lay their lives on the line to uphold them this would be considered a mild everyday occurrence. Just take a look world wide as to what really happens when there is no or little laws, would be chaos not just some simpleton stating the police are goons. I assure you not one of the police officers were looking forward to this type of a day! Very unfortunate.

220swifty
05-11-2014, 09:48 AM
Though I am nowhere near thinking the state of policing in this nation is in a good place, I see no reason to be suspect of the RCMP in this case.

The report I heard on global Edmonton last night put the timeline of events as follows...

RCMP hear shots being fired in front of detachment, and exit building to investigate/respond.

Black pickup witnessed speeding away from scene.

Cruisers dispatched to stop suspect pickup

Suspect pickup rams RCMP cruiser, and opens fire

Police return fire, killing suspect. 2 officers suffer minor injuries, female officer driving vehicle that was rammed flown to Edmonton via STARS

Body of the priest was discovered at a seperate location hours later.

Since we are all making assumptions here, mine is that this guy had a beef with the priest, and murdered him for it. He then opted for suicide by cop, as it sounds as if he baited the RCMP into the chase, and initiated the violence as well.

covey ridge
05-11-2014, 10:44 AM
You mean like wait as long as we have for the High River Gun Grab to unfold ? The OP posted 'car chase in town'. I will speculate you would be comfortable this happening in your town ? It would be another tragedy if the guy shot a different innocent civilian but it also would have been a tragedy if your grandkid was hurt by a stray bullet in an unnecessary gunfight. You seem very comfortable racing to their defense instead of asking if gunfire in town was necessary. I felt that that the post by 58TC speculated that the RCMP did the world a favor & felt the other side of the story needed to be asked.

I am not racing to the defense of anyone! I am just not speculating without facts or jumping to conclusions as you seem to do so easily.

CaberTosser
05-11-2014, 10:53 AM
Swiftys synopsis of what probably happened is right on the money with my line of thinking. I'm certainly not down with suicide, but I have way more respect for those who keep others out of the process than those who don't have the guts to actually do it themselves who wind up forcing others to do their own dirty work. The effect such an event has on those people is totally unnecessary.

JohninAB
05-11-2014, 10:55 AM
I think some of you had better quit blaming everything on the RCMP. 2 of them had to be flown to Hospital, a third is in a local hospital. The person who shot them/ at them is dead.
For some of you all RCMP are bad. Well that's like labeling all Hunters and fisher men/women as poachers. Cool it people. The investigation team will publish their findings.

Hear, hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CaberTosser
05-11-2014, 11:08 AM

I agree with this in spirit, but what I've read was that the female officer who was driving the RCMP pickup truck was the one flown to hospital, while the two male officers were treated and released locally. The female officers injuries were primarily to her legs, and of the other two, one got some superficial broken glass injuries and the other was shot in his hand (to what extent I do not know, shotgun pellet, rifle round....).

troutbug
05-11-2014, 11:11 AM

But lisundance, we have all the investigators we need right here on the forum!

I agree with you

Ken07AOVette
05-11-2014, 12:28 PM
The guy that was shot by the rcmp murdered the priest first.

Walleye Willy
05-12-2014, 07:01 PM
http://www.spjournal.com/article/20140511/STP0801/140519997/-1/stp/eyewitnesses-describe-surreal-scene-of-chaos

220swifty
05-12-2014, 08:19 PM
http://www.spjournal.com/article/20140511/STP0801/140519997/-1/stp/eyewitnesses-describe-surreal-scene-of-chaos

Wow!

If these are the facts, then major accolades to the RCMP for defending public safety and ending it quickly.

brownbomber
05-12-2014, 08:39 PM
Wow!

If these are the facts, then major accolades to the RCMP for defending public safety and ending it quickly.

Yup good job by the GRC. If those who chastise when they do bad can they compliment when they do good ?? Or is it haters gonna hate?

HunterDave
05-12-2014, 08:43 PM
Wow!

x2

Walleye Willy
05-12-2014, 09:43 PM
I used to work with the young lady before she joined the force. She is small in stature but she has a big heart. I'm wishing her a speedy full recovery.

desertdueler
05-12-2014, 09:53 PM
Wow!

X2