bezzola
05-10-2014, 11:58 AM
We'll done for sure

rwm1273
05-10-2014, 09:09 PM
X100

Jack&7
05-11-2014, 09:20 PM
Wow....Thanks Kaz-dog! I haven't been on the forum for a few days and I missed this thread.

Very nice of you to put that out there.

But...with that being said, I think most firefighters worth their salt are some of the humblest people I know. They do the extraordinary things that makes the news, but they don't want/need the recognition. They do these things because:

1. somebody has to...
2. they have trained for it.
3. they are self-less by nature and were 'born-to-help' from day 1. Usually a product of a decent upbringing....
4. they take great pride in extreme problem solving under great adversity.
5. they enjoy the camaraderie....and are natural team players.
6. they enjoy the satisfaction of making a positive difference to somebody on their worst day.
7. they are proud to be a contributing member of their community.

...and a million other reasons.

And then there are the OTHER guys. The other firefighters that expect to be revered because they are a firefighter. The guys who love to wear the t-shirt to every possible place to announce who they are (especially the bar)...

I think that most guys I associate with who are firefighters are from the first group. The job doesn't define the man....the man defines the job. Yes, we are proud of the work we do and we are very appreciative when somebody takes the time to say thanks...but we are just as happy to be behind the scenes.

Honestly, there are plenty of other people who deserve more praise than they get. Teachers, our military, cops, nurses, that community volunteer who makes sure that the rink is cleaned off for the kids to play, etc. etc.

If you see somebody working at a job that makes a huge difference in someone else's day, they deserve a thanks. Yeah...it may not be front page news or make for a cool photo....but they are making a difference.

Now don't get me started on professional sports players, politicians, or lawyers.

That's a whole other discussion over many beers!

jackrabbit000
05-11-2014, 09:26 PM
Great thread Kaz Dog.

Kaz Dog
05-12-2014, 11:33 AM
I think you and me are brothers-from-another-mother.....as I couldn't agree with you more on these points you write about below.
Wow....Thanks Kaz-dog! I haven't been on the forum for a few days and I missed this thread.

Very nice of you to put that out there.

But...with that being said, I think most firefighters worth their salt are some of the humblest people I know. They do the extraordinary things that makes the news, but they don't want/need the recognition. They do these things because:

1. somebody has to...
2. they have trained for it.
3. they are self-less by nature and were 'born-to-help' from day 1. Usually a product of a decent upbringing....
4. they take great pride in extreme problem solving under great adversity.
5. they enjoy the camaraderie....and are natural team players.
6. they enjoy the satisfaction of making a positive difference to somebody on their worst day.
7. they are proud to be a contributing member of their community.

...and a million other reasons.

And then there are the OTHER guys. The other firefighters that expect to be revered because they are a firefighter. The guys who love to wear the t-shirt to every possible place to announce who they are (especially the bar)...

I think that most guys I associate with who are firefighters are from the first group. The job doesn't define the man....the man defines the job. Yes, we are proud of the work we do and we are very appreciative when somebody takes the time to say thanks...but we are just as happy to be behind the scenes.

Honestly, there are plenty of other people who deserve more praise than they get. Teachers, our military, cops, nurses, that community volunteer who makes sure that the rink is cleaned off for the kids to play, etc. etc.

If you see somebody working at a job that makes a huge difference in someone else's day, they deserve a thanks. Yeah...it may not be front page news or make for a cool photo....but they are making a difference.

Now don't get me started on professional sports players, politicians, or lawyers.

That's a whole other discussion over many beers!

bosshog
05-12-2014, 02:51 PM
@ Jack&7

Whatever category each firefighter falls in, be it the humble, arrogant, entitled or proud, they all get my respect for doing the job.

I'll echo your comments and add teachers, policemen, EMT military and nurses to that list of professions who get my respect.

Jack&7
05-12-2014, 06:40 PM
Boss...

I appreciate your comments. I just can't stand that sense of entitlement....anywhere in life. I personally believe it to be one of the factors that is so prevalent in today's society that causes so much grief...just wish it would stop.

But that is a whole different discussion...

And thanks for reminding me: I forgot to add EMS to that list.