PDA

View Full Version : Where is your Tinkhamtown?

catnthehat
05-10-2014, 12:18 PM
Something to ponder:

" it was a long way, but he knew where he was going. He would follow the road through the woods and over the crest of the hill to the stream, and cross the sagging timbers of the bridge, and on the other side would be the place called Tinkhamtown. He was going back to Tinkhamtown."

I have taken this paragraph with the greatest respect from a book I gave to my father in 1988 for Christmas.
I had forgotten about it, but last week after I visited my parents' grave, I was in my older brother's library and came across the book.
It was a very emotional day for me, and reading the inscription inside the cover was almost too much for me.

My all knowing brother the Captain, simply said that I should take it home and re-read the book.

The book's author was Corey Ford, a man whose short stories were the first ones I read when the new Field and Stream monthly came to the house,
they were called simply " The Lower forty".
The Lower Forty Shooting, Angling , and Inside Straight Club was comprised of a bunch of characters of whom we all know, and although fictitious , we can relate to them all!

"The Road To Tinkhamtown" however, is a short story not about them, but about a hunter's memories of the finest times he had with his setter, and the final hours of his own days, and a hunter - especially a dog lover, cannot read it without emotion.

My parents rest overlooking a particularly beautiful valley where my father hunted for many years, and where he took me to hunt ruffed grouse.
They are not far from where my mother grew up .

I know where my "Tinkhamtown" will be when it's my time, where is yours?
Cat

rugatika
05-10-2014, 01:13 PM
I know, and my dog knows, and that's enough.

Good story Cat.

silver
05-11-2014, 06:20 AM
Thanks, Cat.

I remember reading that story when it was published back in the late 60s or early 70s.

I have thought about it from time to time, just seeing your headline brought it back again.

Yeah, I have a spot.

oldgutpile
05-11-2014, 08:56 AM
Been many places over the years that I would love to see as my last resting place. Places that taught me how to relax and enjoy everything around me in times of stress.

Cat, not sure which book you have, but sounds like it would be a great addition to my library. I have that actual story, but it sounds like a different collection of short stories. What is that one titled, as I would love to track it down?

catnthehat
05-11-2014, 09:50 AM
As kid growing up,the Lower Forty was the first article I read every month when the magazine landed in the mail box!

The book is called "The Corey Ford Sporting Treasury", Oldgutpile, and I will mail it to you on loan of course, until we meet up this fall for the bird safari.:)
Cat

oldgutpile
05-11-2014, 12:58 PM
Cat, I found a copy. I am honored that you would entrust me with it, but I wouldnt think of borrowing a pesonal inscribed copy. If its worth owning, and I trust your judgement, I would likely want to re-read it on occasion myself.
Thanks for the offer though!

catnthehat
05-23-2022, 07:15 AM
I am bumping this old thread up to the top, for very obvious reasons.
" The Road to Tinkhamtowm"
Can be viewed as a narrated video on Facebook, for some reason it popped up on my feed this morning , and is a fantastic short piece to watch, very emotional for us who are in the fourth quarter of our lives and especially for upland hunters and lovers of hunting dogs.
I strongly suggest you search it out!
Cat

calgarychef
05-23-2022, 07:45 AM
There used to be a little slough, north of lloydminster and a 1/2 hour walk from my back door. I’d take my golden retriever “Honey” and go sit on a log while waiting for the ducks to arrive. I can still see it, smell it and hear the wing beats of the ducks. We’ would sit there just the two of us, a boy and his dog watching the light fade and absorbing all that nature could give us.

That’s my Tinkhamtown. When I can’t sleep, my mind wanders back and I think of that beautiful dog, my best friend and first hunting partner and the adventures we had by that little slough.

58thecat
05-23-2022, 08:19 AM
The quarter sections around my place is where Dakota and I would hunt, walk, run and play....I miss her....

Thx cat for the thread to read just not ready yet to dive in but will at a later date.

pikergolf
05-23-2022, 09:37 AM
Is this it Cat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_PN6ZL0fMA

catnthehat
05-23-2022, 10:05 AM
Is this it Cat?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_PN6ZL0fMA

Yes that 's it, thanks for posting the link , pikergolf!:)
Cat

Grizzly Adams1
05-23-2022, 11:49 AM
Yes that 's it, thanks for posting the link , pikergolf!:)
Cat

Started watching it, found it too depressing.

Grizz

catnthehat
05-23-2022, 03:59 PM
Started watching it, found it too depressing.

Grizz

You should finish watching it, all is explained in the end....
Cat

2 Tollers
05-23-2022, 04:21 PM
Cat - thanks for putting this up. Very interesting and moving.

Our daughter recently lost a good dog very suddenly and was very troubled by the events. She found a pet communicator for an in person consultation and was very surprised on the results of the session. I was leery initially but some of the specific items mentioned, there is no way the communicator could have known.

So is there a Tinkamtown --- Personally I would like to think so as we have had a number of great dogs and getting to be back with them again in a spritual existence would be a special reward.

Fish along
05-24-2022, 09:32 AM
Im always looking for something to watch, ill check it out,thanks Cat.:)