PDA

View Full Version : Has Gour-mart shut down?

molly
05-10-2014, 05:03 PM
We took our stuff there in January for sausage and it was great, then heard on here that Darrel had sold out to a young couple. Now I tried to look them up online and the website seems to be gone...Anyone know anything?
We want to take in some more moose for sausage. Where can we go now that is reasonable and good? :(

covey ridge
05-10-2014, 11:02 PM
When I was there last (not impressed) they were only doing game. There was no store front with other products for sale. Without regular product, I would expect that this time of year there is not enough demand for sausage making to keep the doors open. That's too bad because when they brought their A-game, I thought they were the best.

graybeard
05-11-2014, 08:29 AM
When I was there last (not impressed) they were only doing game. There was no store front with other products for sale. Without regular product, I would expect that this time of year there is not enough demand for sausage making to keep the doors open. That's too bad because when they brought their A-game, I thought they were the best.

Hmmmm, I have been going there for over 35 years....First I heard of it, time to call Darrell.......I will report back......!

They are the best in my opinion.

molly
05-11-2014, 09:32 AM
I found Darrel's cell so will call that tomorrow...Just find it odd the website is gone, as it was always up year-round, with all their processing prices on there and menu.

omega50
05-11-2014, 11:01 AM
He used to teach the Commercial Meat Cutters in the mornings at SAIT when I instructed there, but that was over 10 years ago.
I also contracted him to teach a Home Sausage Making Course to all my hunting buddies in the late 90's.
I still use his Pepper Cheese Smokie recipe every chance I get.
I am not sure, but I heard some years back that he was doing some work with Winter's Turkeys
He has amazing business savvy.
I wish him every success.

covey ridge
05-11-2014, 12:14 PM
I started going to Gour-mart when Darryl's father Fred was still running the business. When Darryl took over I did not notice any quality change. I have not had sausage made for the last 3 or 4 years but took in a small batch of trim last fall. The place was not the same as I remembered. I can not begin to describe how bad it was. I learned that Gour-mart had been closed for a while and one of the young people I spoke to said that Darryl still owned the place, but did not take any part in the production of sausage. Gour-mart was for sale and the young people would continue to make sausage till the business was sold.

Over the years I usually ordered smokie sized polish sausage, a very nice salami that was very similar to the polish and a smokie sized pepperoni. I have never tasted better anywhere! For me the old Gour-mart will be missed:(

graybeard
05-11-2014, 05:03 PM
GOUR-MART IS STILL IN BUSINESS

Hey it's Darrell, I got your message.

Gour-Mart's web site has changed to: www.gour-mart.ca

Please let the fellows know I have not sold and I anticipate to still be in business this fall....
Hope to see you before then, you know you can drop in anytime.

Thanks bud, for helping me out,
Darrell

molly
05-11-2014, 05:09 PM
Good news! I hope he can do up some sausage for us now as we are already out of salami, haha...
Thanks, Graybeard! :)

P.S. I still cannot access his website, though...

graybeard
05-11-2014, 05:13 PM
You are welcome guys....what a relief eh? It is like loosing your favorite barber, mechanic, electrician, plumber, bartender etc......lol.....

Whewwwww.

recce43
05-11-2014, 05:37 PM
website does not work

covey ridge
05-11-2014, 07:00 PM
GOUR-MART IS STILL IN BUSINESS

Hey it's Darrell, I got your message.

Gour-Mart's web site has changed to: www.gour-mart.ca

Please let the fellows know I have not sold and I anticipate to still be in business this fall....
Hope to see you before then, you know you can drop in anytime.

Thanks bud, for helping me out,
Darrell

You may want to let Darrell know that when you do a search on google, this is one of the first hits:
http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/15/1438127/restaurant/Bowness/Gour-Mart-Meat-Shop-Calgary

molly
05-13-2014, 07:47 AM
I called Darrel and he said the website is still being worked on. He still does special orders so we are taking in some more stuff this week as he is doing sausage next week. Yay!

graybeard
05-13-2014, 07:21 PM
i called darrel and he said the website is still being worked on. He still does special orders so we are taking in some more stuff this week as he is doing sausage next week. Yay!

x 2....he said the same thing to me....

Molly, have you tried the sausage Darrell makes, with the cheddar cheese down the center...if not and you do; buckle up as it is GREAT....wow.