PDA

View Full Version : Wild Hay river fishing

St.Albert Tom
05-10-2014, 08:15 PM
I am going to be camping along the Wild Hay river just north of Hinton in mid June and was wondering if anyone has ever fished it before and if it was worth while? I hear that it's a trout river so would likely be using spinning rod but might also give the fly rod a try, again if it's worth while.

-JR-
05-10-2014, 08:22 PM
Very slow fishing last few times I was there.

rena0040
05-10-2014, 10:04 PM
I fished it in september, caught tons of grayling a few nice bulls and big whites. I had almost every hit on a small rainbow pattern spinner. I think it was a blue fox.
It was my first time there and first grayling. I'm hoping to make it back this summer.

St.Albert Tom
05-10-2014, 10:39 PM
We are camping in the area if where the trunk road crosses the river close to Gregg lake, my plan was to hike and fish up and down the river from the crossing a few km each way. This should be a reasonable plan?

rena0040
05-10-2014, 10:50 PM
I didnt go that far west, I went straight north of town on I think the willow creek or jack pine road. Lots of established random camping sites along those roads, unfortunately also alot of non stop traffic to some rigs up in the area.

Speckle55
05-11-2014, 10:00 AM
it will be slow in June ..better later and as others have said Grayling Bulls and Rockies and down the Wild Hay Road past the Polecat road past Piettie Lake to the Jack Wright road the km 56 to 59 is good later in August and Sept ..if you are going in June Walk alot of miles as you will find.try and find beaver dams on the side.read your regs for the river as you can not keep any Rainbows for sure (Athabasca drainage)

Bell weight with a couple of flys works or fly fish too

David:)

We are camping in the area if where the trunk road crosses the river close to Gregg lake, my plan was to hike and fish up and down the river from the crossing a few km each way. This should be a reasonable plan?

Denadii Cho
08-20-2015, 07:12 PM
it will be slow in June ..better later and as others have said Grayling Bulls and Rockies and down the Wild Hay Road past the Polecat road past Piettie Lake to the Jack Wright road the km 56 to 59 is good later in August and Sept ..if you are going in June Walk alot of miles as you will find.try and find beaver dams on the side.read your regs for the river as you can not keep any Rainbows for sure (Athabasca drainage)

Bell weight with a couple of flys works or fly fish too

David:)

Is this river still catch and eat? I used to catch graylings in there too

huntin'fool
08-20-2015, 08:52 PM
Is this river still catch and eat? I used to catch graylings in there too

No, can't keep grayling. Or Bulls, or whites.

Denadii Cho
08-21-2015, 02:03 PM
No, can't keep grayling. Or Bulls, or whites.

Damn! I hate catch and release...If one is not going to eat the fish...Leave them alone!! Just my opinion.
:sign0176: