PDA

View Full Version : B&S Pressure Washer Hard to Start

riden
05-11-2014, 01:46 PM
I have a Briggs pressure washer with an "automatic" choke. I hate it and have from the day I got it.

Unless it is being used a lot, when you start it.....it runs 2 secs and stalls. Then I play the game, it MIGHT start on the next pull, but if it doesn't I may regret it. If it doesn't start after a couple of pulls.......it becomes really hard to pull the cord.

Once you feel it is getting hard to pull, it is a waste of time to try, because it will just get worse and will never start and you need to leave it an hour before you try again.

It is a terrible system and it has done it from day 1.

Does anyone know what is happening and what I can do to fix this?

Ken07AOVette
05-11-2014, 01:54 PM
Make sure the water is not turned on prior to starting, that may help

riden
05-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Make sure the water is not turned on prior to starting, that may help

I always do.

I just got back from trying to start it again, 45 min since it started and stalled.

Still won't pull smooth. It makes me mad, working your day around a machine.

It seems like it needs a primer. If you let it run out of fuel, it will be hours before you can start it again.

leeaspell
05-11-2014, 02:11 PM
Ether

riden
05-11-2014, 02:17 PM
Ether

And a match, great idea. Just about where I am at it with that machine today.

saddleup
05-11-2014, 02:21 PM
Try holding the trigger on the wand open while you pull on recoil rope. Sounds like maybe your pump is loading up and makes it hard to start. I have that issue on my 13 hp Honda pressure washer, there is no way I can start it unless trigger on wand is pulled.

riden
05-11-2014, 03:12 PM
Try holding the trigger on the wand open while you pull on recoil rope. Sounds like maybe your pump is loading up and makes it hard to start. I have that issue on my 13 hp Honda pressure washer, there is no way I can start it unless trigger on wand is pulled.

You're a genius, thanks.

As soon as you said it, it just made too much sense.

curtz
05-11-2014, 05:02 PM
All these automatic choke motors suck, there always hard starting. Give me a primer and choke any day.

Ken07AOVette
05-11-2014, 05:47 PM
If it is real hard to pull without the pump loading it may be pieces of piston glued to the cylinder

lopinyote
05-11-2014, 06:32 PM
If it got the original factory sparkplug try replacing it....Briggs had an issue with them a year or so ago...gave us a lot of headaches until we figured it out.

mudbug
05-11-2014, 09:16 PM

X2 I have to do this with mine as well to get it to start properly