PDA

View Full Version : tire review/reccomendations cooper at3

7 REM MAG
05-11-2014, 10:02 PM
hey all, its time again to buy new tires for my truck. its a 2005 dodge 2500 cummins, quad cab, 6ft box, 6 spd standard, currently running a tuner appx 75 horse over stock. I'm looking at the cooper at3 right now, in 285/70-17. truck is a work truck that pulls a trailer semi regularly. I've got beg at's on it right now and the tires lasted long enough that I'm happy with that I'm just not happy with the "all terrain" performance. please let me know if you have experience with these tires in a DIESEL pick up, or let me know what you have been happy with running in a DIESEL pick up.
thx everyone

IR_mike
05-11-2014, 10:09 PM
06 dodge 2500 with the cummins running 285 Hancook all seasons (forget the name at the moment) Best tires I have ever ran and will be the next set I buy.

Have not ran coopers but have heard good things about them.

leeaspell
05-11-2014, 11:07 PM
Got General grabber at2 on my f350. Got about 80,000 on em, still a good bit of thread left yet. Have used them in the muck in fox creek and swan hills and been really impressed with how they chew through the stuff. Good in the mud and good in the winter, about the best all season I've ever ran. But, that doesn't matter because 90% of people who will reply will say go with the duratracs, apparently best thing since sliced bread, mine only lasted about 30,000 before they were toast.

crazyperch
05-12-2014, 07:24 AM
I have coopers on my 09 dodge 1500. they are nice tires but i find they wear down fast.

i will spend the extra cash and get the Toyo open country next time

skidderman
05-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Got General grabber at2 on my f350. Got about 80,000 on em, still a good bit of thread left yet. Have used them in the muck in fox creek and swan hills and been really impressed with how they chew through the stuff. Good in the mud and good in the winter, about the best all season I've ever ran. But, that doesn't matter because 90% of people who will reply will say go with the duratracs, apparently best thing since sliced bread, mine only lasted about 30,000 before they were toast.

Agree about Duratracs, the biggest pile of garbage ever made.

CBintheNorth
05-12-2014, 09:34 AM
My friend is running the AT3's in his cummins 3/4 ton and I'm running them in my 1/2 ton gas pot.
We're both happy with the ride, noise, traction and durability.

Sneeze
05-12-2014, 09:39 AM
The Cooper AT3's have been the best value tires I have ever put on my Duramax.

I am at year 2.5 with them and I just might get another winter out of them. I have never been able to get more than two years from a set of tires.

My gravel driving is about 10%.

Wet traction was very good for about the first year, now the wet traction I would describe as manageable. Snow/Ice the same.

One flat in the time I have owned them and I frequent construction sites and use the truck to take me hunting.

I have been down the road of Toyo M55's and Open countries. Longevity was worse but traction better. $700 better? No.

Good value tires that I would recommend. If you drive gravel a great deal you will not get 2 years from them.

I drive approximately 20 000 km per year.

stoph
05-12-2014, 10:08 AM
I have an F150 w/ ecoboost and live in the country. I bought the toyo open country AT2 this winter and LOVE them over the stock Scorpions. Never had a concern driving on the roads this winter south of Calgary.

When I bought them the dealer implied that Toyo was coming out with a new AT this spring thats going to compete with the Duratracs, havn't done any research yet to see if they have a new offering yet.

Stopherson

67ZL1
05-12-2014, 04:44 PM
I will never run Cooper on my trucks again. I blew the sidewall out of one with 20K's on them. They replaced it with a new one pro-rated. And about 4 months later I had the tread separate on another. This time it wrecked my box side - about 2500 in damage. I went back to the dealer and they told me they don't have time to deal with it. These were E rated tires BTW and my truck was no where near being overloaded. Two other guys that work with me had same problem with sidewalls blowing out. Spend the extra on the Toyo's. One thing I will say is that the Cooper's rode nice and were quiet on the HWY.

Ken H
05-12-2014, 08:56 PM
I have used cooper tires for years and never had any problems with them. I consistently get 150,000km's out of each set. This is about every two years for me. Best value for your buck IMO.

Homesteader
05-12-2014, 09:49 PM
I have used cooper tires for years and never had any problems with them. I consistently get 150,000km's out of each set. This is about every two years for me. Best value for your buck IMO.

150k! That's impressive, are you driving on a Teflon frying pan?

Tbutler
05-12-2014, 11:52 PM
Agree about Duratracs, the biggest pile of garbage ever made.

Agree garbage I am going to get about 40k out of them but never again there has been a vibration in them since I got them.

greywolf
05-13-2014, 08:42 AM
Agree garbage I am going to get about 40k out of them but never again there has been a vibration in them since I got them.

TBH, I've been driving for 35+ years, and from time to time have bought the Goodyear brand. I have been disappointed everytime.

greywolf
05-13-2014, 08:47 AM

Which Cooper tires are you using??? I need to replace a set on my pick up truck and I may want to install a set if they last 150,000 km..

7 REM MAG
05-15-2014, 05:28 PM
thx for the info guys