PDA

View Full Version : Flawed or not, will this work?

BigBlack
10-29-2008, 02:55 PM
Okay I want accuracy plus speed. I know faster does not always equate to better accuracy but I want a blend of both. Here is my game plan on developing some future hand loads. My goal is to achieve the best accuracy/speed combo without wasting a lot of components and since I have started reloading various calibers I am working up a collection of partial powder containers.

Step 1: Load up one cartridge of each weight stepping up in .5 grain increments from min to max. Shoot each cartridge over the chronograph going from lightest charged to heaviest. Watching for pressure signs and monitoring speed. This step is basically to test the upper end of the charge scale and see if it is safe in my rifle and also to see the approximate fps gain for each half grain increment and see if the speed increase flattens at a given point.

Step 2: Once complete with step one load up 3 cartridges each of the top 5 loads from above. Now shoot these for groups at 100 still using my chronograph. If one load shows promise then work around it in smaller increments and more shots per group (maybe 5). If not try a different powder that I have on hand known to work in the cartridge I am loading and repeat from step 1.

Again my goal is to find a good accurate load with upper end velocity. I know sometimes slower is more accurate in certain combinations, but I feel with the right combination I should be able to get both or at least a good balance.

Thinking out loud but thought this would be good food for the brain!

sdeviation
10-29-2008, 03:45 PM
sounds like u now what ur doing ...but....:)
u dont want to waste componets so why start at minumum charge ?
if it was me 30/06 case or smaller i would go 1/2 grain steps..bigger cases and (magnums) i would go 1 grain ..minumum charges off slow powder can be just as bad as maximum so keep an eye out for pressure signs both ways .....

add.... bore sight the gun if u r shooting one round of each weight ,this might help determining where the bullets r leaving the barrel to find a sweet spot for when u load ur 3 for later....

gitrdun
10-29-2008, 07:42 PM
I like it. At least it'll get you reloading and shooting a lot which is always a good thing:) . And why not consider these two variables which will also affect your loads to an extent and provide yet more shooting:

1. seating depth
2. various primer brands (yes I have seen differences).

7RUM
10-30-2008, 03:56 AM
If you change primers DO NOT assume the pressure will not change. Federal primers are hot. I have noticed a big diference between them and CCI pistol and rifle. If you change any component you should drop the powder charge and start working up again.
Seating depth can also change pressures.

BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!

gitrdun
10-31-2008, 05:36 AM
If you change primers DO NOT assume the pressure will not change. Federal primers are hot. I have noticed a big diference between them and CCI pistol and rifle. If you change any component you should drop the powder charge and start working up again.
Seating depth can also change pressures.

BE SAFE AND HAVE FUN!!!!!!!!!

A very good point which I omitted 7RUM. :)