PDA

View Full Version : Camping may long - southern ab

James_B
05-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Anyone still goog out May long even with all this rain? I would like to hopefully get upto the porkies. Die hard with trailer. But who knows maybe st marys... Easier access. Rain doesn't really discourage me. Rather be out in the raining mountains then on my couch. Any tips fellas?

Selkirk
05-13-2014, 11:19 AM
Sorry ... we gave up on camping on the May-long, well over 20 years ago. We leave that to the masochists of the world.

:sign0111:

Mac

Peebles
05-13-2014, 12:20 PM
I go skiing May long weekend, not camping.

Okotokian
05-13-2014, 12:22 PM
We're going out. Got a killer sound system, many many flats of beer, fireworks. and even picked out the car we're gonna burn.

I'm kidding, kidding. May long is a nice long weekend to hang around town, avoid the above. :)

bubba 96
05-13-2014, 12:26 PM
We're going out. Got a killer sound system, many many flats of beer, fireworks. and even picked out the car we're gonna burn.

I'm kidding, kidding. May long is a nice long weekend to hang around town, avoid the above. :)

and the 5000 watt champion genny to run everything.....lol

plinker
05-13-2014, 12:29 PM

Okie you suck. You always used to bring the old couch so we could tie it to my pickup and drag everyone for rides and then leave it deserted and smashed up for real campers to clean up. How come you ain'teded bringun the couch this year?? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Pay attention people. This is a tongue in cheek. Okie can figure it out but can you??
We gave up the May long years ago because of the idiots that Okotokian and I make mention of.

Okotokian
05-13-2014, 12:32 PM
Okie you suck. You always used to bring the old couch so we could tie it to my pickup and drag everyone for rides and then leave it deserted and smashed up for real campers to clean up. How come you ain'teded bringun the couch this year?? :sHa_sarcasticlol:

LOL :happy0034: Good fun

great white whaler
05-13-2014, 12:43 PM
Don't do may longs and more,to much risk driving on the highways,wonder how many will die this long weekend,,,southern alberta, crowsnest pass use to be a nice place to go good fishing .

Silverado04
05-13-2014, 12:45 PM
Undecided but I think we're going to. We just got our first trailer, so to say that I'm eager to hit the bush is an understatement...

Probably bite the bullet and head out with the tarps! haha

great white whaler
05-13-2014, 12:46 PM
all that snow in the mountains ,,and rain on top,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, interesting

Gade81
05-13-2014, 12:54 PM
Like others, its the one weekend of the year when I wo't camp. Too many idiots runnin round.

recce43
05-13-2014, 02:44 PM
we don't bush camp on long weekends anymore to many crazy people. Iam taking the family to Kinbrook Island Provincial Park

Silverado04
05-13-2014, 02:49 PM
Depends where you go. Where we go, it's not busy at ALL.

Burnt Timber and the like are obviously worth avoiding. :)

diamonddave
05-13-2014, 02:53 PM
Gonna keep heading south till I hit Great Falls Montana, then go a little bit further......
Should be far enough enough away from the cityots to get in some relaxing fishing....

Quinn
05-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Depending where you are, Porkies XC motorcycle race is this weekend.

Not likely a massive issue, but could be a bit busy in locations.

James_B
05-14-2014, 10:05 AM
Thanks for the heads up. I'm gonna try and be near the eastern side of beaver creek... Probably more in the staging area is where most riders will b e I hope. How's the weather up there? Wet or dry - snow or no snow?

Quinn
05-14-2014, 10:35 AM
Haven't been. Was down in Moab the last week.

I think forecast is for rain. Likely no snow but maybe spots of frozen ground. Not sure.

Spots of Porkies can be ridiculously slippery with moisture.

5Lgreenback
05-14-2014, 10:40 AM
Depending where you are, Porkies XC motorcycle race is this weekend.

Not likely a massive issue, but could be a bit busy in locations.

Ill be participating in that. Never ridden that terrain before, but heard good things! Really hope it doesn't rain!

Hevishot
05-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Ill be participating in that. Never ridden that terrain before, but heard good things! Really hope it doesn't rain!

Put on fresh tires and grab some roll offs. There is still alot of snow on parts of the course and with rain forcasted expect some slippery roots and logs for your enjoyment. Depending what class you run there may be 2 45km loops in your future! Round 1 was Last weekend outside of pincher it rained and we ran saturday. Thought we were out of the woods until Saturday night it snowed. The kids and ladies still raced. Definately was a mud fest.

bubba 96
05-14-2014, 12:40 PM
we don't bush camp on long weekends anymore to many crazy people. Iam taking the family to Kinbrook Island Provincial Park

Ive camped there and its been like a big bush party, cops came towtrucks came watched a site moved and kicked out at 2am..

5Lgreenback
05-14-2014, 01:06 PM
Put on fresh tires and grab some roll offs. There is still alot of snow on parts of the course and with rain forcasted expect some slippery roots and logs for your enjoyment. Depending what class you run there may be 2 45km loops in your future! Round 1 was Last weekend outside of pincher it rained and we ran saturday. Thought we were out of the woods until Saturday night it snowed. The kids and ladies still raced. Definately was a mud fest.

:scared0015: Haha snow?

My tires should be good to go, not sure ill have time to grab roll offs before the race unfortunately. Will it get cancelled if it gets too wet?

I'd prefer to ride 30B but unfortunately Im 29 so I may have to run with the juniors, who are ruthless (and much faster than me!)

czechm8
05-14-2014, 01:46 PM
Anyone still goog out May long even with all this rain? I would like to hopefully get upto the porkies. Die hard with trailer. But who knows maybe st marys... Easier access. Rain doesn't really discourage me. Rather be out in the raining mountains then on my couch. Any tips fellas?

I still want to head out but I will have to check with my wife; I don't think she will want to go out in the rain (and now it's looking like it will only be 10degC out). I may be able to convince her to let me go all alone ;) I was hoping for more of a long-distance back country hike, to see some mountain valleys and maybe wildlife.

I was going to post a new thread on where I can go for true back-country camping, work has been hectic lately and I really wanted to take a 4-day weekend to myself. However, I think I may start the season humbly and just do an overnight trip. I'm in Calgary so I'm thinking of leaving from somewhere near Canmore.

Hevishot
05-14-2014, 01:48 PM
Little Kids never get tired. But they struggle at picking the big bike up thats when us older guys can capitalize. I doubt it will be cancelled. We are doing the kook thing and not battling the weather this year :sHa_shakeshout:

omega50
05-17-2014, 09:25 PM
Stepson did ok in Expert