PDA

View Full Version : Cabelas coming to Calgary?

Kevlak
05-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Rumor has it cabelas is coming to calgary. I guess my company might be doing the ground work for it. It's gonna be built up by deerfoot mall, 64th ave and deerfoot trail. At least that's what I've heard from the higher ups in my company. Hopfully it's true!

Kevin

wasteland.soldier
05-13-2014, 04:51 PM
Do you mean Deerfoot Meadows? Like where Wholesale Sports and IKEA is?

EDIT: should have Google'd. NE, damn.

heybert
05-13-2014, 05:27 PM
They should put it in Okotoks..................................

jackrabbit000
05-13-2014, 05:47 PM
They should put it in Edmonton. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

heybert
05-13-2014, 09:21 PM
They should put it in Edmonton. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

You already have 2!!!! Share the love man!!!:love0025:

jungleboy
05-13-2014, 11:14 PM
I wonder if it will be like the Edmonton store. You know ,where everyone whoops and hollers about how great it will be and how awesome to have an alternative to what is out there now .Then when it is open for a few months , start griping about how crappy it is and how we wish we had a store like BP so we could have some choice:sHa_sarcasticlol:

Quinn
05-14-2014, 09:47 AM
I'm involved in the commercial construction industry and haven't seen it, that being said I'm somewhat distanced now working solely on towers downtown.

I'll poke around a bit. My guess is maybe the old Zellers store at Deerfoot mall. I don't think that one became a Target.

Rebelliousalbertan
05-14-2014, 10:03 AM
I don't understand the excitement. Those service at cabelas in Edmonton is sub-par. They are basically walmart in camoflauge. Support the little stores out there!

Okotokian
05-14-2014, 11:33 AM
They should put it in Okotoks..................................

YES!

or at least the south. Already have bass pro up north.

Jamie Black R/T
05-14-2014, 11:56 AM
I don't understand the excitement. Those service at cabelas in Edmonton is sub-par. They are basically walmart in camoflauge. Support the little stores out there!

x2

im within a short drive of 2 cabelas stores now and the novelty lasted literally 30 minutes.

Ruger1022
05-14-2014, 01:12 PM
Yay, this location is 10mins from BassPro.
Great spot..
:thinking-006:

dalmore62single
05-14-2014, 02:22 PM
Put it down south !! Would love it down here ! Wife may not though haha

wasteland.soldier
05-14-2014, 02:22 PM
Yay, this location is 10mins from BassPro.
Great spot..
:thinking-006:

Smart planning for them, since it places Bass Pro about 10 minutes further for. 95% of their customers. Also nice for me, since if Cabelas doesn't have what I need, it's a quick trip up to Bass Pro.

Bound2Fish
05-14-2014, 02:25 PM
Smart planning for them, since it places Bass Pro about 10 minutes further for. 95% of their customers. Also nice for me, since if Cabelas doesn't have what I need, it's a quick trip up to Bass Pro.

I would have to agree with this. Considering most of the market is coming from Calgary, why not have it in Calgary. And since it is so close to the BPS, some would welcome the change and make the extra 10 minute drive south if they are around the BPS area.

Mulehahn
05-14-2014, 03:58 PM
They are probably considering it, but they do a lot of planning. I used to live in BC and I know for certain they had extensive plans for a store in that new mall in Abbotsford. I know the person who did the quotes for the HVAC units as well as people who provided quoted for the electrical. Ended up with a store on the Island.

Jack&7
05-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Wait a minute....I seem to remember a press release some time ago saying Cabelas was going to be building on land (which has since been cleared in prep for the construction...I assume) right across the Trans Canada Highway from Calaway Park?

Am I wrong?

wasteland.soldier
05-14-2014, 04:06 PM
Wait a minute....I seem to remember a press release some time ago saying Cabelas was going to be building on land (which has since been cleared in prep for the construction...I assume) right across the Trans Canada Highway from Calaway Park?

Am I wrong?

That would certainly be a good location. I'd hazard a guess that more people head west when on the way to outdoor activities than north (BPS) or south (WS).

Grizzly Adams
05-14-2014, 05:22 PM

Am I wrong?

That was the rumor, prior to Basspro moving into Cross Iron. Was just at Deerfoot and they are sure ripping and tearing there. Looks like a whole remake of the mall and it needs it. Could have shot cannons in a couple of directions and hit nobody. Did ask one construction guy but he didn't know, guess time will tell.

Grizz

Kevlak
05-14-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm pretty sure since they are revamping deerfoot mall they would give them a huge discount for opening it there, on the plus side to them it would bring a lot more customers to their mall, it only makes sense, doesn't it?

Kevin

Sundancefisher
05-14-2014, 10:44 PM
x2

im within a short drive of 2 cabelas stores now and the novelty lasted literally 30 minutes.

I would go to a Fish Tales before ever going to Bass Pro or Cabelas.

jackrabbit000
05-14-2014, 10:47 PM

x2...the service was great when they first opened but now it's no better than WSS.

Kevlak
05-15-2014, 08:12 AM
I like to support the small guy when I can, but a lot for me comes down to price, I do my own research online and places like here. I'm on a strict budget and when I can save a few bucks here and there that's good. I have a family to support but would still like to participate in the shooting and hunting sports, it is what it is.

Kevin

Quinn
09-18-2014, 01:44 PM
Plans have been released for tender of the project.

MAC
09-18-2014, 01:57 PM
This was announced a while back

From the Cabelas website

https://www.cabelas.ca/news/47/cabelas-announces-plans-for-calgary-alberta-canada-store

All the big box stores are the same. I shop where I need to. Not all stores carry everything I want.
I support the small stores when they have what I want. Only got to the big three when I cant find it anywhere else.

north american hunter
09-18-2014, 02:25 PM
It's a 2 minute drive from my office :D

Red Bullets
09-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Sad to hear of another Cabella's. More garbage for our Alberta landscape and landfills. A bunch of cheap products we did without up to now.

kayaker
09-18-2014, 02:45 PM
Sad to hear of another Cabella's. More garbage for our Alberta landscape and landfills. A bunch of cheap products we did without up to now.

In future we'll have more retail opportunity than habitat or hunting and fishing opportunities...

NewGuard84
09-18-2014, 03:49 PM
You already have 2!!!! Share the love man!!!:love0025:

We might need a third soon. :sHa_shakeshout:

dumoulin
09-18-2014, 04:08 PM
I used to love Cabelas and Bass Pro, but I've simply lost interest. I'd rather shop in smaller, local retail as the prices simply aren't that much better. I find that riffles are cheaper elsewhere too. Bass Pro is too expensive.

I bought a 3.5x18x44 scope in Stelter for 1200$ less that what I was quoted at BP. I've never returned.

greylynx
09-18-2014, 05:14 PM
Pretty bad when I work 5 minutes from a Cabalas store and I am ordering from the "Real Cabala's" in the U.S.

Cabala's Canada is just S.I.R. that changed it's name. The business model is based on the Manitoba consumer.

P.S. there is nothing wrong with people from Manitoba.

dumoulin
09-18-2014, 07:29 PM
Pretty bad when I work 5 minutes from a Cabalas store and I am ordering from the "Real Cabala's" in the U.S.

Cabala's Canada is just S.I.R. that changed it's name. The business model is based on the Manitoba consumer.

P.S. there is nothing wrong with people from Manitoba.

I think we all know what you meant by that. I could feel the anti-Manitoban sentiment. Lol

Sorry, Grey. lol

OspakP
09-18-2014, 07:36 PM
Gotta agree with most of the negative comments. Cabelas and Bass Pro are like costume shops so you too can dress up like the gear pimps on the hunting channels.

bigbfidaddy
09-18-2014, 07:57 PM
They are putting it in at Deerfoot Mall. Deerfoot trail and 64 Ave NE. It is a sure thing that it's going there. We know the construction and development manager at Cabellas and it's location is confirmed.

big zeke
09-18-2014, 09:42 PM
Another shop that is 60% clothing, 20% camping stuff, 15% boating gear and 5% hunting gear, it's probably not even that good if you remove the stuff that is best suited for the southern states. I can understand why shops that specialized in hunting & fishing (like Russells for example) are extinct, the markups are a lot lower and the stock moves slower.

I guess next time I want a camo comforter, I'll have a few choices. As long as they have an ice cream shop, my trip will be cut in half.

What are the chances the staff will have a clue?

Zeke