PDA

View Full Version : Alberta government not serious on protecting endangered caribou

avb3
05-13-2014, 08:29 PM
http://globalnews.ca/news/1328679/alberta-sells-off-habitat-of-endangered-caribou/

I have no idea why all we ever get from this government is lip service when it comes to conservation issues.

I was around years ago when it was the hunters of this province asked government to curtail hunting of caribou because the numbers were dropping. The Minister of the day, Don Sparrow, agreed.

Now that same species has gone from threatened to endangered, and yet apparently it is more important to have the resource industries, which destroy the largest limiting factor, the habitat, to access even more of the limited old growth areas they need.

If your a conservationist who cares, now is the time to lobby your MLA to stop this.

elkdump
05-13-2014, 09:10 PM
http://globalnews.ca/news/1328679/alberta-sells-off-habitat-of-endangered-caribou/

I have no idea why all we ever get from this government is lip service when it comes to conservation issues.

I was around years ago when it was the hunters of this province asked government to curtail hunting of caribou because the numbers were dropping. The Minister of the day, Don Sparrow, agreed.

Now that same species has gone from threatened to endangered, and yet apparently it is more important to have the resource industries, which destroy the largest limiting factor, the habitat, to access even more of the limited old growth areas they need.

If your a conservationist who cares, now is the time to lobby your MLA to stop this.

I know an area where private vehicles are prohibited from access and travel, yet for many years 1000,s of industrial vehicles, both O&Gas and Logging machinery continue to destroy 1000's of hectares of boreal forest and alpine zones, the road is gated and signed and only industrial motor vehicles are permitted, the signs are from the Alberta Gov't

the signs state "Sensitive Caribou Habitat, Protected Area, please record and report any Caribou sightings to the Ministry at 1-800-blablabla

I worked in this area for about 6 years, never seen a Caribou, much less any Caribou tracks,,,, but lots of Grizz and LOTS of Wolves,,, and RIG PIGS,,,

hal53
05-13-2014, 09:14 PM
I know an area where private vehicles are prohibited from access and travel, yet for many years 1000,s of industrial vehicles, both O&Gas and Logging machinery continue to destroy 1000's of hectares of boreal forest and alpine zones, the road is gated and signed and only industrial motor vehicles are permitted, the signs are from the Alberta Gov't

the signs state "Sensitive Caribou Habitat, Protected Area, please record and report any Caribou sightings to the Ministry at 1-800-blablabla

I worked in this area for about 6 years, never seen a Caribou, much less any Caribou tracks,,,, but lots of Grizz and LOTS of Wolves,,, and RIG PIGS,,,
as a 'rig pig" we have been shut down, denied access lots of times due to caribou activity, but thanks for a report from B.C., you guys are always enlightening.....

elkdump
05-13-2014, 09:24 PM
as a 'rig pig" we have been shut down, denied access lots of times due to caribou activity, but thanks for a report from B.C., you guys are always enlightening.....

haha, the sensitive Caribou PROTECTED area I am talking about is IN Alberta,,

but adjacent to that area along the BC/Alberta Boundary the HYPOCRITES in the BC Ministry of Mismanagement also denies personal motorized vehicles to protect INVISIBLE Endangered Caribou, nevertheless encouraging O&Gas development and Industrial Logging Operations,,

ps, also sorry to incense you sensitivities,,,nothing personal :)

hal53
05-13-2014, 09:27 PM
haha, the sensitive Caribou PROTECTED area I am talking about is IN Alberta,,

but adjacent to that area along the BC/Alberta Boundary the HYPOCRITES in the BC Ministry of Mismanagement also denies personal motorized vehicles to protect INVISIBLE Endangered Caribou, nevertheless encouraging O&Gas development and Industrial Logging Operations,,

ps, also sorry to incense you sensitivities,,,nothing personal :)
don't be sorry, been in the business long enough I am used to people that know nothing about it give everyone their expert opinions....carry on:)

Peterupnorth
05-13-2014, 09:34 PM
Last Woodland Caribou I saw was about 5 years ago , chasing a log truck down the highway hauling away the last morsel of food.
Oh the famous locked gates! SRD is still not sure which side of the gate the Caribou are on, but was assured the primary reason was to keep the public off Public Lands.

Lefty-Canuck
05-13-2014, 09:35 PM
What I love is the eradication and slaughter of the moose in the zones where the caribou reside.....hope you get the hint of sarcasm....

LC

elkhunter11
05-13-2014, 09:39 PM
What a change from the Alberta government shutting down the twinning of highway 63, during the caribou calving season. Given that I have seen caribou on a total of two occasions , while traveling highway 63 for over 30 years, I saw that as no more than an excuse to defer some expenditures.

hal53
05-13-2014, 09:40 PM
Last Woodland Caribou I saw was about 5 years ago , chasing a log truck down the highway hauling away the last morsel of food.
Oh the famous locked gates! SRD is still not sure which side of the gate the Caribou are on, but was assured the primary reason was to keep the public off Public Lands.
Caribou eat trees?...who knew????

avb3
05-13-2014, 09:40 PM
What I love is the eradication and slaughter of the moose in the zones where the caribou reside.....hope you get the hint of sarcasm....

LC

That's because wolves eat moose and the hope was no moose then wolves would not be around to also eat caribou.

Seriously.

avb3
05-13-2014, 09:41 PM

Yeah, it's kind of important to have old growth around for them.

It's a lichen thing.

Now you know.

Lefty-Canuck
05-13-2014, 10:10 PM
That's because wolves eat moose and the hope was no moose then wolves would not be around to also eat caribou.

Seriously.

Oh I know the reason given....totally makes sense right??

Wolves won't eat caribou because there is no more moose....

LC :)

hal53
05-13-2014, 10:13 PM
Yeah, it's kind of important to have old growth around for them.

It's a lichen thing.

Now you know.
so...the caribou were chasing the truck for lichen, not the trees right???:medium-smiley-035:

avb3
05-13-2014, 10:15 PM
Oh I know the reason given....totally makes sense right??

Wolves won't eat caribou because there is no more moose....

LC :)

No actually what really happens is that the moose attempt to avoid the wolves by going into caribou habitat. That draws the wolves in. Then they eat the easier to hunt caribou.

This is well documented. It happens in the Ft. McMurray area as well.

As you know, good caribou habitat is not good moose habitat.

Lefty-Canuck
05-13-2014, 10:21 PM
No actually what really happens is that the moose attempt to avoid the wolves by going into caribou habitat. That draws the wolves in. Then they eat the easier to hunt caribou.

This is well documented. It happens in the Ft. McMurray area as well.

As you know, good caribou habitat is not good moose habitat.

My point is the life of the moose in the area is placed on a lower level than the lives of the caribou...wipe out one species to save another, tips the balance...

I think the wolves will go where they want and eat what they want IMHO.

LC

Brian Bildson
05-13-2014, 10:52 PM
I know the Redrock herd area well. This is BS. The Redrock herd is the last migrating herd of mountain caribou in Alberta. I Guess we can't kill them fast enough. They are unique in more ways than one, they share DNA with barrenground caribou.

BigJon
05-14-2014, 08:18 AM
don't be sorry, been in the business long enough I am used to people that know nothing about it give everyone their expert opinions....carry on:)

In your opinion is the AB. Gov. and industry working together to look out for caribou?

sjd
05-14-2014, 08:38 AM
Do something about it. Write a letter to your MLA, ask your Fish and Game club to get involved.

Take a look at the AFGA resolutions to government - not a single one about conservation or habitat protection - all me, me, me - increase my hunting/fishing opportunity.

Government know that can get away with this, because we as Outdoorsmen have gone silent on travesties like this.

We now leave it to the enviros to speak up for protection of wildlife habitat.

IR_mike
05-14-2014, 11:05 AM
Take a look at the AFGA resolutions to government - not a single one about conservation or habitat protection - all me, me, me - increase my hunting/fishing opportunity.

The main reason why I have not joined the local chapter.

Kudos to the Innisfail chapter however, I see there land ownership signs quite often in central Alberta.

They seem to have it figured out.

Matt L.
05-14-2014, 12:13 PM
The main reason why I have not joined the local chapter.

Kudos to the Innisfail chapter however, I see there land ownership signs quite often in central Alberta.

They seem to have it figured out.

Poor reason. Join and draw up resolutions pertaining to land conservation. They can only pass on what they receive.

IR_mike
05-14-2014, 12:41 PM
Poor reason. Join and draw up resolutions pertaining to land conservation. They can only pass on what they receive.

You obviously have not met the members of the local chapter.

Think crayons and paper with many illustrations.

NativeHunter
05-14-2014, 12:44 PM
been to dis area land is raped no bou and no public alloed

Buckhead
05-14-2014, 01:38 PM
I can only speak for myself.

From what I have seen the wolf population is far too high.

We need to get that under control first for the caribou to thrive.

avb3
05-14-2014, 02:04 PM
I can only speak for myself.

From what I have seen the wolf population is far too high.

We need to get that under control first for the caribou to thrive.

If caribou don't have habitat, killing wolves won't make any difference.

This is some of the last remaining habitat that is being sold

oilngas
05-14-2014, 02:33 PM
It seems to me, from what I gathered from the very slanted and vague Herald "report", is that the Alta. Gov. has likely received a request from "Industry" and posted all or some of the mineral rights, in or on some surface lands.

There was no map etc. of rights in the area, drilling in the area, seismic for sale, or list of rights posted, no history of postings in the area, no list of conditions attached to the posting etc.

I thought the article was very amateurish and out of touch with the way things work.

So assume that all concerned are going to do some research, etc. put up their cash and bid on the Mineral Rights. ??

That will stop the BIG Bad Oil folks, who (I believe I read this in the past few days or saw it on BNN) created 70% of all new jobs in Canada since the recession in 2008. These jobs are in Alberta / Sask.

BANG
05-14-2014, 02:39 PM
It is a shame, they used to range at least as far as buck lake as little as 50 years ago from what the old timers say.

sjd
05-14-2014, 02:52 PM
Oilngas your name says it all.

Yes, this is how it works. That's the problem. I for one don't think the Government of Alberta should lease every square inch of Alberta to energy companies - especially not in endangered species habitat.

No ones saying shut down oil and gas, just have a little restraint and have a few areas where wildlife is given priority.

walking buffalo
05-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Do something about it. Write a letter to your MLA, ask your Fish and Game club to get involved.

Government know that can get away with this, because we as Outdoorsmen have gone silent on travesties like this.

We now leave it to the enviros to speak up for protection of wildlife habitat.

Which resolutions are you talking about? The resolutions that are specifically focused to Hunting and Fishing committees? I think you may have mistaken what the document represents.

AFGA has many committees that deal specifically with environmental and habitat issues, including forestry and endangered species. Please sign on and help out. :)

There is no doubt that the squeaky wheel gets noticed when dealing with governments, especially weak governments.

"Government not serious about protecting Caribou"

This was and still is the truth.

oilngas
05-14-2014, 05:21 PM
sjd;

there was an initiative five or six years ago that the Alta AENR (mineral owners for Prov.) and ERCB (at that time) and Alta Dept. Environment to review each posting request and have it; withdrawn, modified, conditions attached etc. as warranted. I don't know how that process has faired tru various budget cuts etc.

I would have to look at the posting, all those conditions (if they are on the parcel) are public info. as well, hey you could look I bet!!!

Also the economic driver for the Country is resource extraction, that is what has for the most part dragged us out of the recession.

BUT their was an initiative to make sure "special places" were NOT posted. again I do not know how that has faired. Year ago the woodlands caribou area was expanded and drilling / access issues were restricted quite heavily, that I know for sure.

Hal???

Grizzly Adams
05-14-2014, 05:27 PM

Think logging has been way harder than the oil industry on Caribou habitat and it's way too late to do anything about that. Having said that, caribou in the National Parks or the Willmore are in just as desperate strait and there has been neither oil exploration or logging there. :confused:

Grizz

hal53
05-14-2014, 05:41 PM
Think logging has been way harder than the oil industry on Caribou habitat and it's way too late to do anything about that. Having said that, caribou in the National Parks or the Willmore are in just as desperate strait and there has been neither oil exploration or logging there. :confused:

Grizz
any wolves there?...:)

Brian Bildson
05-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Actually Griz the caribou in the Willmore are the Redrock herd and up until now they've been stable or even slightly increasing. All the more reason to protect their habitat not industrialize it.

hal53
05-14-2014, 05:44 PM
Actually Griz the caribou in the Willmore are the Redrock herd and up until now they've been stable or even slightly increasing. All the more reason to protect their habitat not industrialize it.
^^^Agree!!!

Brian Bildson
05-14-2014, 10:49 PM
The Redrock herd has been a personal passion of mine since 1995 when I purchased my first Alberta trapline along the kakwa river…inside their winter range.

I've watched them and fought for them ever since. I appealed Smoky River Coals first development on Caw Ridge - which bisected the caribou's main migration route, and lost of course. I appealed Grande Cache Coal's underground plans - B2 pit for the same reasons, and lost of course.

I sat on Weyco's public advisory group for two years and tried to insert some sanity into their plan to cut "caribou cutblocks" some of which are over 1000 hectares, to no avail. I quit the PAG in disgust after their biologist Luigi Morgantini (at the time) conceded that the cutblocks didn't work if you took into account the cumulative disturbance from oil & gas. I told them I deal in the real world... not computer models, and in the real world oil & gas is already there.

We made a small gain for the caribou when Weyco finally realized the backlash from clear-cutting this caribou range, and the expense, wasn't worth it and set aside their cutting plans for 15 years. We are half way through that period i believe.

Then a couple years ago ESRD Minister McQueen allowed me, in my role on a Board, to work with others to put together a pilot project that allowed for the development of the oil & gas industry in the Redrock caribou herd but had reasonable controls that allowed the caribou herd to survive also.

We hired the best caribou minds in the business and used ESRD own research and came up with a model that will work in the real world and allow caribou to stay on the landscape. I know that the new Minister Robin Campbell has also been aware of this pilot project, obviously to no effect so far. In truth even if ESRD was supportive they jump to Energies command.

So if you read this and say to yourself "how can government be so short sighted and not give a damn about caribou in Alberta?"

Well i'm asking the same thing about Alberta's outdoor community. What's happened to us? It used to be that hunters and anglers were the watchmen and the advocates for our resources. Screw waiting for some organization to speak up, your voice is the most powerful tool there is. It sure would be nice if you took 5 minutes to let Minister Campbell what you think of auctioning off this mountain caribou habitat. robin.campbell@assembly.ab.ca

And by the way I'm too stubborn to quit.

avb3
05-14-2014, 11:09 PM
The Redrock herd has been a personal passion of mine since 1995 when I purchased my first Alberta trapline along the kakwa river…inside their winter range.

I've watched them and fought for them ever since. I appealed Smoky River Coals first development on Caw Ridge - which bisected the caribou's main migration route, and lost of course. I appealed Grande Cache Coal's underground plans - B2 pit for the same reasons, and lost of course.

I sat on Weyco's public advisory group for two years and tried to insert some sanity into their plan to cut "caribou cutblocks" some of which are over 1000 hectares, to no avail. I quit the PAG in disgust after their biologist Luigi Morgantini (at the time) conceded that the cutblocks didn't work if you took into account the cumulative disturbance from oil & gas. I told them I deal in the real world... not computer models, and in the real world oil & gas is already there.

We made a small gain for the caribou when Weyco finally realized the backlash from clear-cutting this caribou range, and the expense, wasn't worth it and set aside their cutting plans for 15 years. We are half way through that period i believe.

Then a couple years ago ESRD Minister McQueen allowed me, in my role on a Board, to work with others to put together a pilot project that allowed for the development of the oil & gas industry in the Redrock caribou herd but had reasonable controls that allowed the caribou herd to survive also.

We hired the best caribou minds in the business and used ESRD own research and came up with a model that will work in the real world and allow caribou to stay on the landscape. I know that the new Minister Robin Campbell has also been aware of this pilot project, obviously to no effect so far. In truth even if ESRD was supportive they jump to Energies command.

So if you read this and say to yourself "how can government be so short sighted and not give a damn about caribou in Alberta?"

Well i'm asking the same thing about Alberta's outdoor community. What's happened to us? It used to be that hunters and anglers were the watchmen and the advocates for our resources. Screw waiting for some organization to speak up, your voice is the most powerful tool there is. It sure would be nice if you took 5 minutes to let Minister Campbell what you think of auctioning off this mountain caribou habitat. robin.campbell@assembly.ab.ca

And by the way I'm too stubborn to quit.

Thanks Brian.

There is too much hook and bullet passion and not enough conservation passion.

Hunters and anglers used to be the canary in the coal mine who used to raise concerns.

It seems we've let the Suzuki's and the Greenpeacer's of the world have that conservation role.

That bothers the bejesus out of me.

Brian Bildson
05-14-2014, 11:21 PM
Actually maybe there too much "IT'S ALL ABOUT ME passion"

I don't even see us fighting for issues that effect our activities on the land anymore. Just guys trying to out trophy each other, or show how much smarter we are, or better we are. Of course you're not like that…it's the other guy…right.

Thanks avb3, I've seen earlier posts or yours, i know I'm preaching to the choir with you, but it's kind of lonely eh?

Brian Bildson
05-15-2014, 07:35 AM
editorial in today's journal. Today would be a good day to let ESRD know what you think of these land sales robin.campbell@assembly.ab.ca

Editorial:

A year ago, the Alberta government put a temporary pause on the sale of oil, gas and mineral leases in two pockets of west-central Alberta that are home to a pair of imperilled caribou herds.

This wise — albeit delayed — call had been recommended for some zones nearly a decade ago by an advisory team to Alberta Sustainable Resources that urged range plans (recovery and protection zones) be established for each threatened Alberta caribou herd.

But the province has failed to take the same action to protect other herds and this week started to auction off nearly 1,770 hectares for lease north of Grande Cache, which is home to a group of herds threatened with extinction.

This iconic Canadian animal is a powerful enough symbol that it is depicted on our currency. What many people may not realize from their pocket change is how many varieties of caribou exist within Canada. In Alberta, there are two distinct groups: the mountain caribou and boreal woodland caribou.

By the standards of the federal government, both are threatened. And this month, scientists who make up the federal Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada, determined Alberta’s mountain caribou are in such dire circumstances they ought to be classified as endangered. According to the report, the number of caribou that make up the already small central mountain herds of Alberta and B.C. has declined by 60 per cent in the past 10 years.

Among the features that make mountain caribou different from their boreal counterparts is their need to migrate, moving from Rocky Mountain alpine areas in summer to mature forests in the foothills for the winter.

The health of these herds is one way to measure the health of our forests.

It is always tough for Alberta to put restrictions on industry and draw lines that could, even temporarily, close pockets of the province to resource extraction. No government official wants to embrace a policy change that the industry says could affect economic prosperity, jobs or the province’s bottom line, given how heavily Alberta relies on resource royalties as a revenue source.

Our amazing national parks perhaps give a false impression that there are enough protected places for at-risk species. But given Alberta’s diverse ecosystems, parks alone won’t cut it.

There is abundant scientific evidence of the serious impact human activities such as logging, well sites and roads have on caribou. The federal government’s 2012 caribou strategy requires jurisdictions to create zones that would eventually be at least 65 per cent undisturbed to allow for recovery.

Knowing those expectations, what harm could come from a pause on lease sales? An oil or gas outfit would have to delay a project in that particular area. The resource won’t disappear in the meantime.

After nearly a decade of study, talk and clear recommendations — but little concrete action — it almost feels as if the province, through an unstated policy of neglect, hopes the problem — and the caribou — will simply disappear.

Albertans should not accept that its endangered and threatened caribou are goners.

To sit back for another decade and give only lip service to protection would be a tragedy. The first step must be to put an immediate halt to mineral lease sales and logging — at a bare minimum within all ranges of Alberta’s mountain caribou — until science-based range plans are adopted.

Editorials are the consensus opinion of the Journal’s editorial board, comprising Margo Goodhand, Kathy Kerr, Karen Booth, Sarah O’Donnell and David Evans.

avb3
05-15-2014, 07:41 AM
It's interesting to note that ALL the opposition parties have come out against the sale, including Wildrose.

Which means some of our AO members who advocate extracting all our resources all the time, may have to find another political entity to endorse.

Brian Bildson
05-15-2014, 07:55 AM
In fairness to Albertan's I doubt any one of rational mind would want to wipe out these herds just for resources. Luckily this is not a situation where we need those resources for today. We can let them sit in the ground while we work the rest of our abundant resources we've been blessed with.

This economic good fortune that most of us enjoy is part of the problem. It's harder to rock the boat when everything is going good. Let's all stand up on this issue, if you care.

Brian Bildson
05-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Some good unconfirmed news… no one bid on the land in question, here's hoping.

avb3
05-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Some good unconfirmed news… no one bid on the land in question, here's hoping.

I wonder if there was some "unofficial" discussion on it being withdrawn or restricted?

hal53
05-15-2014, 08:05 PM
I wonder if there was some "unofficial" discussion on it being withdrawn or restricted?
Likely any company that looked at it backed off after about a 5 second discussion with their PR people

bdub
05-15-2014, 08:24 PM
Letter written and my thoughts on it expressed to Robin Cambell. Thanks for bringing up this issue on here.

Brian Bildson
05-16-2014, 06:54 AM
The sales went ahead as planned as far as I know, as a smaller section in the Narroway region right against the border did sell yesterday. But no buyers in Redrock range.

Brian Bildson
05-16-2014, 07:34 AM
Whitehall Energy Ltd / president Ben Van Sant of calgary purchased lease A0104 consisting of 181 hectares for $4,830 or $26.63 per hectare... that's just over $11 an acre. Who would have thought you could lease endangered caribou habitat so cheap!

This lease is located right on the AB/BC border in the Narroway district. It is within the range of the Narroway Herd, one of the more at risk mountain caribou.

Mr. Van Sant has every right to make a decision to bid on these leases. I also have the right to let his company know what I think of that purchase. unfortunately the company appears to be a small entity and has little public information. However the office # is 403-296-3340 and fax # is 403-261-4636
I'm unable to find any email address.

Mr Van Sant is also a hunter to the best of my knowledge, as he shows up in AHEIA / PF information. Perhaps Mr. Van Sant was unaware of the caribou issue when he made his offer to purchase this area. It would hurt double to know a fellow outdoorsmen is prepared to contribute to the demise of the Narroway herd.

This battle is far from over.

walking buffalo
05-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Benjamin Van Sant (Whitehall Energy Ltd.) is also the chairman of the Tax and Economic affairs committee for the Calgary Chamber of Commerce.

http://www.calgarychamber.com/policy/policy-committees/tax-and-economic-affairs

The Chamber is always interested in having the opportunity to speak with the media. :)

This fellow is a very active long distance runner participating in all the local outdoor charity runs. Perhaps he just wants to set up some running trails in the Narroway, or maybe he intends to donate the lease to one of the many Environmental causes he supports?

Brian Bildson
05-16-2014, 07:11 PM
We can live in hope Walking Buffalo.

Apparently a SARA challenge may be in the works. The same Federal legislation that forced the Alberta government to start a meaningful recovery plan for Sage grouse.

Now that the federal comittee has come out and said the Mountain caribou should be classified as endangered, and not the present "threatened" or "stable" classifications the provincial government is using, there are grounds for a legal challenge under SARA.

I can almost guarantee you that is where this is going.

avb3
05-16-2014, 07:48 PM
We can live in hope Walking Buffalo.

Apparently a SARA challenge may be in the works. The same Federal legislation that forced the Alberta government to start a meaningful recovery plan for Sage grouse.

Now that the federal comittee has come out and said the Mountain caribou should be classified as endangered, and not the present "threatened" or "stable" classifications the provincial government is using, there are grounds for a legal challenge under SARA.

I can almost guarantee you that is where this is going.

I'm not sure a SARA challenge would be successful.

Sage grouse were actually listed as endangered when that challenge occurred. If I recall correctly, it was as a result of it being ruled that there was not enough being done to protect the habitat that the challenge was successful.

Currently, this population of caribou has only been recommended by COSEWIC to be listed. It does not appear on Schedule 1 at this time.

http://www.sararegistry.gc.ca/species/schedules_e.cfm?id=1

From the SARA website:

How are species listed?

The Committee on the Status of Endangered Wildlife in Canada (COSEWIC), a committee of government and non-government experts, directs the assessments and classifies species using the best available scientific, community and Aboriginal traditional knowledge. The Minister of Environment must respond to COSEWIC's recommended status within 90 days. The federal Cabinet then has nine months to make a decision on the addition of the species to the legal list. This listing process acknowledges that adding species to the legal list could have economic and social implications for Canadians.

I wonder how when the decision to list the land available for lease was made? I'm not sure how much notice the province gives for these sales.

Hal, want to chip in on that process?

Pending his comments, that decision may have been made after the COSEWIC recommendation.

It would be a travesty if that was the case.

-JR-
05-16-2014, 08:00 PM
I just heard the area where they set up shop and were studying the GrandCash fox creek heard was just logged out last year.
Again money comes first .

Red Bullets
05-16-2014, 09:10 PM
It might interest Albertans on the actual money beng alloted to different departments within the ESRD.

Page 40. Operational expenses and Capitol spending in this ESRD Business plan:

http://finance.alberta.ca/publications/budget/budget2014/environment-and-srd.pdf

I am not really sure how to interpret the figures in this business plan.
Looks like alot of money being spent on Forestry and not very much being spent on Fish and Wildlife. I just wonder what the blank spaces mean in the F&W column of Capitol spending. Looks like the gov't doesn't even have a financial plan.

It doesn't look like the gov't has much interest in our fish or wildlife. The gov't probably figures all the associations they delegated our F&W to are responsible.

avb3
05-16-2014, 09:16 PM
It might interest Albertans on the actual money beng alloted to different departments within the ESRD.

Page 40. Operational expenses and Capitol spending in this ESRD Business plan:

http://finance.alberta.ca/publications/budget/budget2014/environment-and-srd.pdf

I am not really sure how to interpret the figures in this business plan.
Looks like alot of money being spent on Forestry and not very much being spent on Fish and Wildlife. I just wonder what the blank spaces mean in the F&W column of Capitol spending. Looks like the gov't doesn't even have a financial plan.

It doesn't look like the gov't has much interest in our fish or wildlife. The gov't probably figures all the associations they delegated our F&W to are responsible.

F&W budgets have been stagnant or decreasing for years. Part of the decrease was the shift of COs to Solicitor- General department, but they have had to do more with less for years.

As far as CAPEX is concerned, there are really no major equipment or infrastructure items required, as most comes from elsewhere. I'm nit as concerned about that line item.

Forest Techer
05-16-2014, 09:54 PM
Slate island.

KCL
05-17-2014, 12:30 AM
I seen three Woodland caribou last week, I love getting to see them. Seen one wolf also.