PDA

View Full Version : boating 101

the local angler
05-14-2014, 04:05 AM
hey all i am an inexperienced boater and i do have my boat operators card and everything but lack the experience during boating that's not covered in the coarse. so with that being said i was wondering if experienced boaters would share various tidbits regarding boating. for example my first time out i anchored at the back of the boat which turned into a major mistake as i found out when a freak storm moved in and almost sank the boat. i try watching other boater and pick up tips and all too.

Bigdad013
05-14-2014, 04:46 AM
Boating has a lot to do with common sense. My first rule is don't do anything thing on the water in relation to other boats that would make me mad if they did it to me. Give other boats lots of room on the water, you have the whole lake, no need to get in close to another. Always make sure life jackets, fuel and required safety gear is onboard. Other items you may consider. Spare prop, tow line, gps, fire extinguisher (even if not required on your boat).
Don't be making a large wake near shore or docks.

These are just a few, I'm sure others will chime in with more. Good to see someone taking the initiative to try and become a better boater. Have a fun and safe boating season.

BassDude
05-14-2014, 07:30 AM
Read the weather. Do some research before you head out. Check for wind forecasts if available. Alberta has a severe wind issue, especially in the southern parts around YYC or in the mountains. I've seen lots of trouble for small boats and inexperienced folks who get caught out in the wind. If you feel it getting gusty think about getting off the water - even if it cuts your trip short. Always wear a PFD.

SCHOOCH
05-14-2014, 07:34 AM
Good for you for admitting that you don't know it all, lots of guys buy a boat and think its just no big deal to know the rules! I agree with everything that BD said and just take your time on waters that you are not familiar with, there is too many places that can damage your motor/boat and yourself for that matter.........HAVE FUN !!!!!!

Smokercraft
05-14-2014, 08:30 AM
Great suggestions by all so far.

I would especially stress Jet's suggestion of makeing sure you have at least a basic understanding of lake you're on and any dangerous spots, espeically if you're new to the lake. Rock Island (you figure the name would've warned me) tought me that lesson a number of years back on my first boat.

Another tip I've seen some forget, when launching your boat make sure not to unhook your winch and safety strap until your boats ready to leave the trailer. Nothing worse that your boat sliding off and landing on the concrete pad.

Ebrand
05-14-2014, 08:34 AM
Set the rules now.

Everyone on board wears their pfd all the time. No exceptions.
Kids should have them on if they are on the pier as well.

Double or triple check your plugs in the hull and have spare plugs.

Create a tool kit. Include spare spark plugs. Booster cables or pull start rope. Electrical tape. Duct tape. Waterproof lighter. Knife. Rope. Etc.

Try and get out with an experienced boater or have one go out with you ( good excuse to go fishing ).

Practice launching and loading when the boat launch is empty.
Teach the wife or older kid how to load the boat and back the trailer up for you.

Have fun. Take sunscreen/food/friends/ hats for everyone and a spare.

Booze is for when the boating is done.

Bigdad013
05-14-2014, 08:38 AM
Great suggestions by all so far.

I would especially stress Jet's suggestion of makeing sure you have at least a basic understanding of lake you're on and any dangerous spots, espeically if you're new to the lake. Rock Island (you figure the name would've warned me) tought me that lesson a number of years back on my first boat.

Another tip I've seen some forget, when launching your boat make sure not to unhook your winch and safety strap until your boats ready to leave the trailer. Nothing worse that your boat sliding off and landing on the concrete pad.

Talking of boat launches, something a lot of boaters do once, and usually only once, is forgetting to put the drain plug in. On the long weekends, we like to take a coffee and hang out at the launch for an hour to see some real gems launching their boats, if you want to learn what not to do, hang out at a launch on a busy afternoon. Very informative...

Commander B
05-14-2014, 08:59 AM
Prepare your boat in the parking lot!! Dont be the guy removing straps, tarps, and blowing up towables on the boat ramp.

Also remember that a boat with no foreward motion has no stearing.

B.

TrophyPikeHunter
05-14-2014, 09:17 AM
Prepare your boat in the parking lot!! Dont be the guy removing straps, tarps, and blowing up towables on the boat ramp.

B.

Don't be the guy who stops at the top of the ramp and ties up for the ride home either...be considerate and pull away, especially if there's a line up to get out...ie: Wabamun town launch on a long weekend...yeesh...

Jamie Black R/T
05-14-2014, 09:24 AM
make sure not to unhook your winch and safety strap until your boats ready to leave the trailer. Nothing worse that your boat sliding off and landing on the concrete pad.

are we talking a roller or bunk trailer?

I suspect you are referring to the roller style.

ive fished a lot of tournaments and if a guy stops on the launch to undo straps there is going to be hell to pay.

cube
05-14-2014, 10:43 AM
hey all i am an inexperienced boater and i do have my boat operators card and everything but lack the experience during boating that's not covered in the coarse. so with that being said i was wondering if experienced boaters would share various tidbits regarding boating. for example my first time out i anchored at the back of the boat which turned into a major mistake as i found out when a freak storm moved in and almost sank the boat. i try watching other boater and pick up tips and all too.

You might want to sign up and take a course from Edmonton Power & Sail Squadron (CPS) in the fall, as they are all out boating in the summer I believe.
http://www.edmontonpowerandsail.ca/

Falko
05-14-2014, 10:57 AM

B.

Always a few doing this at the launch. Also try not to diagnose problems on the launch, trying up the only dock.

Walleyedude
05-14-2014, 12:47 PM
Experiment with your power trim and learn how it affects your hole shot, top speed, fuel economy, attitude of the boat, ride quality, etc... It is the most important and best tool a boat operator has for maximizing the performance and safety of their boat while under power. I see way too many people, even experienced boaters, that don't understand how to trim their boats properly.

I'll also echo the responses above about launching your boat. Get it ready to go BEFORE you're on the ramp, and get it ready to travel AFTER you've left the ramp. If you're not comfortable with backing up a trailer, go somewhere and practice before you head to the boat launch. A busy launch full of impatient people staring at you is not the place to be learning how to back up your boat.

BassDude
05-14-2014, 03:13 PM
Experiment with your power trim and learn how it affects your hole shot, top speed, fuel economy, attitude of the boat, ride quality, etc... It is the most important and best tool a boat operator has for maximizing the performance and safety of their boat while under power. I see way too many people, even experienced boaters, that don't understand how to trim their boats properly.

Oh yes...this reminds me of my buddy who owned a 20 ft inboard with a 5L mercruiser for 5 years and couldn't tow any skiers out of the water or would sit at the dock cranking the starter over and over and over and over when cold starting it - he had no clue about the choke or how to idle up the boat in neutral....

Along with learning about trim, make sure you read your manual or talk to someone who knows where the choke, and coldstart/idle is on your controls - my buddy had no idea how to start his boat. He's a king now! LOL

Jack&7
05-14-2014, 03:55 PM
Great question/thread!

Many MANY good tips here and probably the best one I can see so far is learning how to back up a trailer properly. And by that, I don't mean having your arm draped over the seat with you looking backwards out the rear window.

Learn how to use your mirrors. You should be able to walk that trailer right down the ramp using your side mirror(s) only. Go to a big parking lot and practice, practice, practice.....then practice some more.

There is nothing more comical or frustrating (if you are the next guy waiting to launch) than watching someone do a hack job at backing up.

And do yourself a favour and go buy some bumper buoys so you don't bash the snot out of the sides of your boat at the dock.

the local angler
05-14-2014, 04:21 PM
thanks for the great tips, i am currently running just a basic 12ft car topper boat with a 5 hp outboard. the great thing is this is light enough to launch or drag to the shore line from just about anywhere. i did hang out with a buddy of mine who is an experienced boater and i kept watching what he was doing and so once i got to a comfortable spot with the operation of a boat i tried it myself is when my anchoring incident happened. since then i have not touched my boat in 11 years lol but recently bought a new outboard so this year seeings how i also have a new truck i am trying to get back into the boat and obviously i will stick closer to shore then out to the middle of the lake where i shouldn't have been with my lack of experience. i bought a 6x8 trailer for the boat and got the hang of backing up a trailer at the local mall shopping mall parking lot but looking out the back window. using the mirrors still needs a touch of work.

alittlej
05-17-2014, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the opening post. I too have been on shore for the last 10 to 15 years watching my boat and motor get old and dry. I have just replaced the set up I sold 8 years ago with a 14 ft and 15 horse motor and now noticing I have forgot more than I use to know. It was a good read and now I have to go and find more stuff for me and my boy to start fishing again. Thanks

the local angler
05-17-2014, 02:05 PM
your welcome for me it seems to be the hard things are easier but its all the tiny little detail stuff that catches me off guard.

the local angler
05-20-2014, 05:52 PM
yikes glad you got it figured out with no damage, its precisely these things that would catch me off guard. thanks for the heads up.