PDA

View Full Version : The Police are Watching Us

hillbillyreefer
05-14-2014, 06:40 AM
https://nfa.ca/sites/default/files/RCMP%20Firearms%20Internet%20Investigative%20Suppo rt%20Unit%20-%20Feb%2028%202014.pdf

bobinthesky
05-14-2014, 06:57 AM
I'm surprised it's taken this long.

hillbillyreefer
05-14-2014, 07:46 AM
Here is a crappy scan of the document.

$500,000/yr for 7 people to spy on firearms interested citizens. I guess it could be worse.

http://i1289.photobucket.com/albums/b508/hillbillyreefer/8FC20F08-4F85-4ABC-9E73-0609B6E985B8_zpssfvb9t6i.jpg (http://s1289.photobucket.com/user/hillbillyreefer/media/8FC20F08-4F85-4ABC-9E73-0609B6E985B8_zpssfvb9t6i.jpg.html)

1899b
05-14-2014, 07:52 AM
Interesting.....

Au revoir, Gopher
05-14-2014, 07:57 AM
I would be curious if the admin gets request from the RCMP for username to real name info; I'm pretty sure I didn't put "Au revoir, Gopher" on my PAL application. :)

ARG

TomCanuck
05-14-2014, 08:32 AM
The moral of the story is, never utter threats if you would like to retain your PAL.

Also stay on good terms with your spouce if possible.

Ron J
05-14-2014, 08:43 AM
I would bet that facebook was the initial source of a lot of those investigations.

5Lgreenback
05-14-2014, 08:55 AM
Oh right, but thats ok, because you have nothing to hide right? Just like its ok when the Harper government violates out rights and privacy.

Nothing to hide, except for your opinions and freedom of speech.

hillbillyreefer
05-14-2014, 09:22 AM
Oh right, but thats ok, because you have nothing to hide right? Just like its ok when the Harper government violates out rights and privacy.

Nothing to hide, except for your opinions and freedom of speech.

Not just Harper, all governments over the last few decades have used the "What do you have to hide?" card to expand their powers.

1899b
05-14-2014, 09:44 AM
The moral of the story is, never utter threats if you would like to retain your PAL.

Don't get me started on that. The RCMP side with whatever the wife says. They will sieze and confiscate without even notifying you. They aren't nice about how they remove or store them either. Coincedently in my case, it was a certain Spruce Grove member that is now up on fraud charges. Real stand up guys....... :)

rwm1273
05-14-2014, 10:07 AM
I would be curious if the admin gets request from the RCMP for username to real name info; I'm pretty sure I didn't put "Au revoir, Gopher" on my PAL application. :)

ARG

You didn't? Why not, I thought that was your real name.

rwm1273
05-14-2014, 10:10 AM

Good advice. My renewal was delayed because of my ex. I had to speak to the Chief Firearms Officer, and he asked me about her, and what her issue was. I said she was a Biotch, and he said "oh you got one of those too. Your card will be sent out right away in the mail."

Not sure if the current CFO is as friendly or understanding.

Ryry4
05-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Not just Harper, all governments over the last few decades have used the "What do you have to hide?" card to expand their powers.

And how many people have ever uttered those words when they see the gov't and police over step their bounds?

The whole "I've got nothing to hide" crowd sings a much different tune when the police are kicking in their door.

Au revoir, Gopher
05-14-2014, 10:37 AM
I was impressed when I saw this story on the news last night https://ca.news.yahoo.com/mother-amanda-todd-worried-anti-cyberbullying-legislation-harms-171219449.html

Carol Todd, whose daughter Amanda died by suicide in 2012, said Tuesday that she believes portions of Bill C-13 that could trample privacy rights should be removed from the legislation.

"We should not have to choose between our privacy and our safety," Todd told a House of Commons committee that's studying the legislation.

It would be very easy for a parent in that situation to take the "if it saves just one life, it is worth it" stance.

ARG

greylynx
05-14-2014, 11:00 AM
I love the use of government speak words like "open source searches", "potential public safety risk", "random firearms applicants" for what is commonly known as fishing. I thought fishing contradicts the constitution.
Oh ya, read section 1 of the Charter, The fishing must have been reasonable.

Each file cost $15,204. The average salary is just under $70,000 for looking at the internet.

How many convictions and refusals did this expenditure bring? No answer.

And the RCMP want more money? For what? Garbage like this?

silverdoctor
05-14-2014, 11:30 AM
I love the use of government speak words like "open source searches", "potential public safety risk", "random firearms applicants" for what is commonly known as fishing.

Nothing to do really with phishing.

If you have a facebook account for example, and you leave your profile public - there's a good chance they can get your email address and other info. Now an email address doesn't sound like much but it ties you to something real.

If you have a blog, or a member of different sites using said email address - that's an example of an open source search. Most people are easy to find online.

Sneeze
05-14-2014, 12:34 PM
:sign0016: Welcome members! How was High River?

quotester1964
05-14-2014, 03:23 PM
:sign0016: Welcome members! How was High River?

lol good one!!!:)

Ken07AOVette
05-14-2014, 05:36 PM

greylynx
05-14-2014, 06:42 PM
This is same group traced back to source snooping from the Cdn Firearms Digest.

7 snoopers 20 years ago, the same today.

Tactical Lever
05-14-2014, 07:59 PM
Pretty slack looking schedule. Pretty typical for government waste, I suppose.

connexion123
05-14-2014, 08:47 PM

Yup.

Ken07AOVette
05-14-2014, 09:37 PM
And how many people have ever uttered those words when they see the gov't and police over step their bounds?

The whole "I've got nothing to hide" crowd sings a much different tune when the police are kicking in their door.

Lol. Haha.

But the tune of the fear mongers never misses a beat, does it?

Burglecut83
05-14-2014, 10:11 PM
The RCMP are nincompoops. Proven again and again. Its getting old. What a waste.

Ryry4
05-15-2014, 09:22 AM
Lol. Haha.

But the tune of the fear mongers never misses a beat, does it?

Um, what part of this do you feel is funny?

Ken07AOVette
05-15-2014, 09:49 AM
Um, what part of this do you feel is funny?

Your comment;

'The whole "I've got nothing to hide" crowd sings a much different tune when the police are kicking in their door.'

You go one of 2 ways in every thread; jump on the CCW bandwagon/Police hate soapbox, or hurl insults at people that actually strive to live within the law.

Again, fear mongering, a lot of us are getting very tired of the same tune over and over and over and over and over.

Ryry4
05-15-2014, 10:09 AM
Your comment;

'The whole "I've got nothing to hide" crowd sings a much different tune when the police are kicking in their door.'

You go one of 2 ways in every thread; jump on the CCW bandwagon/Police hate soapbox, or hurl insults at people that actually strive to live within the law.

Again, fear mongering, a lot of us are getting very tired of the same tune over and over and over and over and over.

The point that I was trying to convey is that the police/gov't have no business spying on the general public. There have been many cases where the police have overstepped their bounds.

I strive to live within the law, like many others. Unfortunately, it seems like every time I look around the police/gov't are looking for a way to make law abiding citizens criminals.

You want your phone tapped and cameras on every street corner, fine. I don't. Simple as that.

When did I insult someone for living in the confines of the law?

hillbillyreefer
05-15-2014, 10:23 AM

Lol.

Which fear mongering are you tired of? The police need more powers or the citizens need more powers side? After all if you have nothing to hide, Warrantless searches and other spying shouldn't bother you.

Ken07AOVette
05-15-2014, 10:24 AM
The point that I was trying to convey is that the police/gov't have no business spying on the general public. There have been many cases where the police have overstepped their bounds.
I strive to live within the law, like many others. Unfortunately, it seems like every time I look around the police/gov't are looking for a way to make law abiding citizens criminals.
You want your phone tapped and cameras on every street corner, fine. I don't. Simple as that.
When did I insult someone for living in the confines of the law?

Did you actually read what the OP put up? Or is this just seen as another avenue for you to bash LEO's?

The Police investigated people looking to obtain or renew Firearm Acquisitation and Retention licences. Do you think that every person should get this 'privilege' handed to them irregardless of past history or current problems?

I have no issue with cameras being used for civil protection and crime deterrent. I have no issue with video from these cameras being used to convict criminals. Problem is, I see no reference to cameras and wire taps in the OP's post.

I will simply say what I have since I got my own voice,

If you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear.

Live within the law and there should be no issue that can cause you harm.
Break laws, no matter how trivial you think they are, and be prepared to accept the consequences.

If you do not accept the law as written, become a member of your governing body and do something about it.

Yelling and screaming and flailing your arms around while typing in a forum does nothing other than give you a public audience that can either agree with you, or disagree with you.

You and many others are passionate about so many topics, yet do nothing at all about them. I can name about 10 people in here that actually do something to make changes, Huntnstuff is on the top of the list, he saw a problem, became a public figure for change.

Live with it or change it, but do not look down on others that live within the laws that govern us all.

Ken07AOVette
05-15-2014, 10:34 AM
Lol.

Which fear mongering are you tired of? The police need more powers or the citizens need more powers side? After all if you have nothing to hide, Warrantless searches and other spying shouldn't bother you.

Specifically the big bad irrefutably corrupt RCMP gestapo squad that can do whatever they want to whomever they want whenever they want and appear to be 'picking on' people that do absolutely nothing wrong, ever. :rolleye2:

hillbillyreefer
05-15-2014, 10:37 AM
If you do not accept the law as written, become a member of your governing body and do something about it.

Yelling and screaming and flailing your arms around while typing in a forum does nothing other than give you a public audience that can either agree with you, or disagree with you.

You and many others are passionate about so many topics, yet do nothing at all about them. I can name about 10 people in here that actually do something to make changes, Huntnstuff is on the top of the list, he saw a problem, became a public figure for change.

Live with it or change it, but do not look down on others that live within the laws that govern us all.

Dragging these incursions by the state into private lives out into the light is doing something. The more people that know about this the more that can contact their MPs and let them know how the people being spied upon feel about it.

There is nothing wrong with debating subjects in a public forum. Is that not what these forums are for? Spreading information and creating discussion between people?

No one involved in this thread is breaking any law. We just disagree with the government paying fellow citizens to spy on us because we are firearms owners. By the way as a group licensed firearms owners are about the most law abiding citizens in the country, thanks to the onerous and intrusive licensing system.

Ryry4
05-15-2014, 10:38 AM
Ken, I'll say my piece also because I have a voice. I do what I can to lobby the gov't when there is something happening I don't like and I make it a habit of being aware of what's going on around me.

We can agree to disagree on somethings.

Ken07AOVette
05-15-2014, 10:40 AM
I'll say my piece also because I have a voice. I do what I can to lobby the gov't when there is something happening I don't like and I make it a habit of being aware of what's going on around me.

We can agree to disagree on somethings.

I agree fully with that entire statement.

twofifty
05-15-2014, 11:52 AM
Hillbillyreefer, Ken is just trying to protect you from committing the crime of "Inciting subversion of state power".

enfield303
05-15-2014, 12:25 PM
Specifically the big bad irrefutably corrupt RCMP gestapo squad that can do whatever they want to whomever they want whenever they want and appear to be 'picking on' people that do absolutely nothing wrong, ever. :rolleye2:

Ummm:thinking-006: High River??????