PDA

View Full Version : Getting rigged up for sturgeon

Z7shooter
05-14-2014, 03:25 PM
What is a decent set-up for sturgeon fishing in the NSR? Any advice on rod, reel, line, hooks, bait....ect..ect would be awesome! Thanks all!

buckmasterjr
05-14-2014, 03:54 PM
What is a decent set-up for sturgeon fishing in the NSR? Any advice on rod, reel, line, hooks, bait....ect..ect would be awesome! Thanks all!

I'd go with a baitcasting setup I personally wouldn't use spinning gear. I run a Shimano Calcutta 400 size reel with a 8'6" Shimano clarus rod. 40lb powerpro for the main line and 80lb powerpro for the leader. Use gamakatsu octopus hooks I usually use 1/0 size. Worms and minnows both work good but if I had to choose between the two it would be minnows.

ineptflux
05-14-2014, 04:29 PM
I use an 8' berkley Glowstick, with a shimano corvalus 400 reeled with 50lb, and either 1/O or "1 octopus hooks.

I also have an indentical spinning setup except I have the biggest optix reel with 50lb braid on a well

DiabeticKripple
05-14-2014, 04:33 PM
i use 4/0 hooks. can catch any fish in the river on them and they wont straighten with big sturgeon

pdfish
05-14-2014, 04:34 PM
I'd go with a baitcasting setup I personally wouldn't use spinning gear. I run a Shimano Calcutta 400 size reel with a 8'6" Shimano clarus rod. 40lb powerpro for the main line and 80lb powerpro for the leader. Use gamakatsu octopus hooks I usually use 1/0 size. Worms and minnows both work good but if I had to choose between the two it would be minnows.

That's a really good setup. Only thing I do different is run a 25 pound leader in case I snag the hook on some trash on the bottom. That way I can usually save the weight. And my rod is a little bigger! :sHa_shakeshout:

handicap
05-14-2014, 07:35 PM
It's not all about the rig you use as you can see my son brought this one in on a cabelas $40 rod (10lb test) using worms as bait. I however have a far more expensive set up, but as this day clearly showed you can bring in big fish without the greatest tackle. Beat badly by my 6 yr old. Lol

scesfiremedic
05-14-2014, 07:48 PM
He looks pretty big for a 6 year old. :sHa_sarcasticlol:

Moefoe
05-14-2014, 08:33 PM
Bigger gear is more for the fish than the fisherman...get'em in fast and slide them back in faster!!

EZM
05-14-2014, 08:54 PM
A nice stiff long rod (8.5 ft to 10 ft) in medium heavy to heavy power with a medium to fast action.

I nice solid round level wind bait caster like a Abu Garcia C3 or C4 with 40lb to 60lb power pro.

Run a 80lb fluorocarbon leader onto a 4/0 to 6/0 hook and load it with some dew worms.

buckmasterjr
05-14-2014, 09:20 PM
A nice stiff long rod (8.5 ft to 10 ft) in medium heavy to heavy power with a medium to fast action.

I nice solid round level wind bait caster like a Abu Garcia C3 or C4 with 40lb to 60lb power pro.

Run a 80lb fluorocarbon leader onto a 4/0 to 6/0 hook and load it with some dew worms.

6/0 is too big IMO, smaller the better but not smaller than 1 or 2

crf250xtom
05-14-2014, 09:29 PM
Bigger gear is more for the fish than the fisherman...get'em in fast and slide them back in faster!!

I like using light setups so I can tire out the fish so it ain't flopping around on shore.

WayneChristie
05-15-2014, 07:51 AM
That's a really good setup. Only thing I do different is run a 25 pound leader in case I snag the hook on some trash on the bottom. That way I can usually save the weight. And my rod is a little bigger! :sHa_shakeshout:

I do opposite you. I make my own weights so they are dirt cheap my main and snell lines are 50-80 pound test braid and I tie my weights on the end of the main line on 25 pound mono so the sturgeon just break them off when they run through snags

WayneChristie
05-15-2014, 07:55 AM
I like using light setups so I can tire out the fish so it ain't flopping around on shore.

with the fine for killing one even accidently in the tens of thousands of dollars thats really not a good idea

ineptflux
05-15-2014, 08:37 AM
with the fine for killing one even accidently in the tens of thousands of dollars thats really not a good idea

Yep, this.

crf250xtom
05-15-2014, 12:10 PM

If it does it dies that's part of fishing and catch and release mortality.

WayneChristie
05-15-2014, 12:33 PM

Im sure the judge will agree with you. good luck with that

buckmasterjr
05-15-2014, 01:28 PM

:snapoutofit:

Geezle
05-15-2014, 01:46 PM

Please, PLEASE don't do this. Playing the fish out in this manner does far more harm than any perceived good.

scesfiremedic
05-15-2014, 01:48 PM
Please, PLEASE don't do this. Playing the fish out in this manner does far more harm than any perceived good.

Agreed!

ab_hunter
05-15-2014, 04:45 PM
How about rigging set-ups, what do you like to use for Sturgeon? Pickeral rigs, 3 way rig, egg sinkers etc.

buckmasterjr
05-15-2014, 04:58 PM
How about rigging set-ups, what do you like to use for Sturgeon? Pickeral rigs, 3 way rig, egg sinkers etc.

http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag37/buckmaster0119/028166977ae53bedea477e3fff8a1ca5_zps7c8aa2e7.jpg

crf250xtom
05-15-2014, 06:30 PM
Im sure the judge will agree with you. good luck with that

So what you're telling me even for example if one dies when you catch it you are gonna be fined and held responsible.

Not saying I don't believe you but I would like some proof on this topic.

Geezle
05-15-2014, 06:54 PM
So what you're telling me even for example if one dies when you catch it you are gonna be fined and held responsible.

Not saying I don't believe you but I would like some proof on this topic.
Regardless of legalities, how about thinking about the wellbeing of an at risk species instead of what's easier for you? Y'know...respect the resource? :o

ab_hunter
05-15-2014, 07:34 PM
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag37/buckmaster0119/028166977ae53bedea477e3fff8a1ca5_zps7c8aa2e7.jpg

Do you ever add a few inches of line between the snap swivel and weight? I have seen a few guys do that. Not sure what the advantages would. I guess if you snag, that part will break off rather then losing everything.

DiabeticKripple
05-15-2014, 07:37 PM
Do you ever add a few inches of line between the snap swivel and weight? I have seen a few guys do that. Not sure what the advantages would. I guess if you snag, that part will break off rather then losing everything.

i run about a foot of line off to the weight, and 8-10" so that the bait is close to the bottom, but not actually on the bottom.

Geezle
05-15-2014, 07:51 PM

You called it...it's kind of a sacrifice rig. Ideally if the weight gets snagged the line between it and the snap is the weak link and will break, allowing you to still retrieve the remainder of the rig.

buckmasterjr
05-15-2014, 07:56 PM

No but thats not a bad idea, I haven't lost very many rigs with the setup I have now though.

Z7shooter
05-15-2014, 08:15 PM
How heavy of weight do you use?

ab_hunter
05-15-2014, 09:33 PM
8-10" of leader material? Do you guys still pick up walleye and goldeye with this method? Seems like the bait would be on or very near the bottom with this set up. With a picker rig the bait is elevated somewhat. Just looking for an alternative to a picker rig because I hate using them.

winger7mm
05-15-2014, 09:40 PM

Sturgeon dont need light gear.... I had a fish last year on my 7' med heavy action rod runnin 60lb test. He picked it up and on a gentle steady pull, cranking down my drag and holding the line to my rod couldnt stop him! He went about 3/4 across the river and I was down to my last few wraps when my rod broke then the line broke. Fish with small gear directly targeting sturgeon is irresponsible IMO

crf250xtom
05-15-2014, 09:41 PM
Regardless of legalities, how about thinking about the wellbeing of an at risk species instead of what's easier for you? Y'know...respect the resource? :o

I am respecting the resource playing them out is actually better then horsing them in and lifting them up to take selfish pictures running the risk of them flexing and you dropping them and injuring them also when they have lots of energy they can hurt themselves on the land so maybe before you preach you should practice and "respect the resource".

winger7mm
05-15-2014, 09:42 PM
8-10" of leader material? Do you guys still pick up walleye and goldeye with this method? Seems like the bait would be on or very near the bottom with this set up. With a picker rig the bait is elevated somewhat. Just looking for an alternative to a picker rig because I hate using them.

I use about 3' of leader. I dont catch walleye but I do catch a pile of suckers and goldeyes. If your fishing for sturgeon your fishing for sturgeon, pert near the only off catch youll have is suckers

Secret coulee
05-15-2014, 11:21 PM

I run this same setup using 5Olb braid main line,80lb Dacron leader instead of floural the Dacron is very soft material and sturgeon have very sensitive mouthes and will spit to heavy of floural leader material,very important to have heavy rated test for your leader material because they will always run you to the bottom of the river and try to shacke you on rocks and any debry at the bottom.4/0 I believe is the perfect all around hook you will Preatty well catch everything and I've yet to have a 50-65" sturgeon bend one on the south sask o the bow truly an Awsome hook,gamagatsu octapus hook,for guys running anything less then this I believe your not riged for sturgeon well enough and you will continue to have fish stories.

Geezle
05-16-2014, 08:25 AM
I am respecting the resource playing them out is actually better then horsing them in and lifting them up to take selfish pictures running the risk of them flexing and you dropping them and injuring them also when they have lots of energy they can hurt themselves on the land so maybe before you preach you should practice and "respect the resource".

You assume much :)

So are you implying that you tire them out, then unhook them while still in the water to release, making sure you don't take any "selfish pictures"? Or do you tire them out so they are easier for you to handle so you can take your "selfish pictures"?

Look at the gear that people in the tagging program like Wayne use - it's heavy stuff. The reason? To get the fish in, measured, tagged, and released as quickly as possible without any undue stress to the fish. Heck...having to use appropriately heavy gear is actually part of the fish research license.

You may also want to do a little reading on lactic acid buildup in the muscles of fish during prolonged fights...

catnthehat
05-16-2014, 08:36 AM

You are the ONLY person I have ever seen with ideas like this, and they have been proven so very wrong that I will no longer comment except maybe you should goive your head a shake and wake up.
Maybe you should just give up catyc and release fishing so you can make positively sure you are killing ever one you catch.
Cat

huntsfurfish
05-16-2014, 09:02 AM

No it is not better! In a prolonged fight, lactic acid builds up and will likely kill the fish.

Dont pick them up and you wont drop them. Unhook them in the water.

Use the proper tackle for the target species! Something for walleye or pike or goldeye is not suitable for sturgeon if thats what you are targeting!

ineptflux
05-16-2014, 09:49 AM
Geezle couldn't be any more bang on with his post.

crf250xtom
05-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Well I believe that using lighter gear is better more fun and longer fights. That's what I think everyone should use.

With regards to the tagging license requiring you to use heavier gear does it also require you to take pictures posing with the fish keeping out of the water even longer and running the risk of it falling?

EZM
05-16-2014, 04:51 PM

Yes - you are correct ... I add a couple "corkies" or a spin n' glow above the hook sometimes to keep it just off the bottom in the current.

EZM
05-16-2014, 05:06 PM
Well I believe that using lighter gear is better more fun and longer fights. That's what I think everyone should use.

Oh My God ........... you can't be serious ???

Sure, it's all about having FUN ........ who cares about the protected species ...... as long as you are having fun.

Might also be pretty fun blasting multiple .22 bullets into a running buffalo while chasing him down, shooting out your window of your SUV, for hours and hours ....... that might be FUN too .......

I think we should ALL do it ........

These are not the thoughts of a responsible, respectful outdoorsman you claim to be.

Secret coulee
05-17-2014, 12:31 AM

With regards to the tagging license requiring you to use heavier gear does it also require you to take pictures posing with the fish keeping out of the water even longer and running the risk of it falling?

Your a bloody idiot with all due respect a bloody troll a yo yo and I've read enough of your bloody crap to no that you should not represent any part of our fishing forum and you have no business posting on this forum from here on in do you not get the feed back from these professional anglers get ahold of yourself man before I half to give my 2cents like a lot of people holding back here your in your own little big man world and should keep your mouth shut for the fishing community's sake.
PS don't respond back because this is not a debate

NativeHunter
05-17-2014, 02:48 AM
use a hole chicken cuzzin

crf250xtom
05-17-2014, 04:05 AM
Your a bloody idiot with all due respect a bloody troll a yo yo and I've read enough of your bloody crap to no that you should not represent any part of our fishing forum and you have no business posting on this forum from here on in do you not get the feed back from these professional anglers get ahold of yourself man before I half to give my 2cents like a lot of people holding back here your in your own little big man world and should keep your mouth shut for the fishing community's sake.
PS don't respond back because this is not a debate

How can you call someone an idiot cause their opinion differs from your's?

Seems pretty rude and ignorant.

Secret coulee
05-17-2014, 06:10 AM
Education is a very important tool for our resource at this stage.and if you can't educate yourself to be responsible you should not be out there.
Truely sorry crf250xtom I come off a little to harsh last night when I lashed out on this level,couple to many Whiskys

Secret coulee
05-17-2014, 06:13 AM
Wow very sorry,very imbaresed this morning sorry

YeeHaw
05-17-2014, 08:16 AM

Wow!!!!! :snapoutofit:

1bluZebec
05-17-2014, 08:29 AM
I figure if your keeping a fish to eat and you know your killing it anyway do as you please and take as long as you want bringing it in and use an ultra light for all I care but if you are targeting a specific species like a bull trout or a sturgeon you should be giving as much respect and care in bringing them and photographing and unhooking them as possible to assure a healthy release to minimize harm and stress. Anyone that is a REAL fisherman knows the regulations and proper fishing etiquette of the places he fishes in. This goes for picking up any garbage you brought to the river or body of water you fish too. I have filled and took home numerous bags of garbage from the river already this spring. It's sad how many people disrespect our fisheries and try to call the selfs fisherman!

ROA
05-17-2014, 09:20 AM
So how heavy of a weight are you guys using

Geezle
05-17-2014, 09:32 AM
So how heavy of a weight are you guys using

Depends on how the strength of the current. Typically I use 2-4oz but have gone as high as 8 in high current areas.

Z7shooter
05-17-2014, 11:25 AM
When your fishing like this in a river, can you set your rod in the rod-holder and tighten up your line? Or do you have to keep some slack in it to keep it from floating down stream. Or just find a happy medium?

buckbrushoutdoors
05-17-2014, 12:12 PM

This statement here would be classified as harassing wildlife. A species at risk should be held in different light when compared to other fish or wild life. It's in our hands as outdoors people to respect and value our wildlife and to apply conservation. It's in our best interest to look after these fish with as much respect as possible.

Whiskey
05-18-2014, 02:28 PM

Well it is good that you are actually thinking of the fish. I know you do not intend to hurt the fish, but in all actuality you are. Lactic acid builds up with a long fight. The fish also needs energy to recover after it is released.
You are correct about how a falling fish or thrashing around on the rocks will/could be fatal. That is why you should keep her in the water as much as you can....not attached to a fishing line.