PDA

View Full Version : RV water heater question

Ron J
05-15-2014, 05:38 PM
I have a year old Rockwood 5th wheel and am having trouble with the hot water heater. I de-winterized it and it won't light. The manual just says to turn off the switch and turn it back on. There is no dsl light, but the heater won't light, and there is no clicking noise from the igniter. I get water out of the tap and the propane tanks are full. I checked the fuses and wires and everything seems tight. Does anyone of have any suggestions as to what else I should look at? Thanks.

kevinhits
05-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Try lighting your oven burners to get the propane moving after a long winter. Check to see if your propane switch is on the right tank. Also, could be your regulator which was my issue a couple years back.

calgarygringo
05-15-2014, 05:57 PM
As Kev says run your stove for a few minutes and it should go as that same thing happens to me each year. Make sure there is power to make it spark. No spark no light as they say.

Mickey
05-15-2014, 06:26 PM
If your bypass is on then the tank won't fill with water and the pilot won't light so it doesn't burn the unit down.

Make sure the bypass is off

1shotwade
05-15-2014, 06:29 PM
This is actually quite funny. I just got back from my buddies who had same problem with furnace and hot water tank. Had to put the batteries in and they fired up.:sHa_shakeshout:

curtz
05-15-2014, 07:38 PM
If your bypass is on then the tank won't fill with water and the pilot won't light so it doesn't burn the unit down.

x2 or the igniter is shot

fordtruckin
05-15-2014, 08:20 PM

this was my first thought.... I'm getting ready to take my trailer out here in the next week or two and sure hope that I don't run into any problems, other than my batteries which are almost dead....

Peter Gill
05-15-2014, 08:31 PM
There might be a diode in the igniter circuit, check that too. Mine failed a couple of years ago.

Ron J
05-16-2014, 09:26 AM
Thanks for all of the tips, I think it is an electrical problem rather than a gas problem. There are sure a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum, it is a great place to get feedback.

Ron J
05-17-2014, 03:17 PM
This is embarrassing, but I have to fess up in case someone else has the same problem......THE RESET BUTTON!!!
The darn thing is cleverly hidden on the front of the unit. I had to look hard not to see it. My wife says I can spot a grouse 75 yards in the bush and can't find the ketchup in the fridge. Thanks for the help guys.
:angry3:

chopperman
05-18-2014, 03:44 AM
This is embarrassing, but I have to fess up in case someone else has the same problem......THE RESET BUTTON!!!
The darn thing is cleverly hidden on the front of the unit. I had to look hard not to see it. My wife says I can spot a grouse 75 yards in the bush and can't find the ketchup in the fridge. Thanks for the help guys.
:angry3:

That's a awesome quote by your wife!! Can't let my wife read this one.....I'm sure she'd wear that quote out on me!!